Rauxa

www.rauxa.com

Rauxa Reviews

Updated Jun 22, 2014

Jill Gwaltney

Pros
  • Rauxa is a super fun work environment(in 7 reviews)

• Smart and hardworking group of people(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Any semblance of work/life balance is non-existent(in 5 reviews)

• You either do things in a very specific way dictated by upper management or you will be chastised(in 8 reviews)

Rauxa is great on the surface, but somewhat of a mess internally

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Costa Mesa, CA

Pros-Rauxa is a super fun work environment.
    -Teams work well together
    -Very good at satisfying client needs.
    -Produce great work

Cons-Behind the scenes is a mess.
    -Big disconnect between senior management and other employees.
    -on-boarding process is poor.
    -Don't value employees enough.
    -Pay is not great.
    -Not a great place to develop skills
    -Always making temporary fixes instead of looking at the big picture
    -Not run like a typical agency

Best place to work in my career

Tech (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsHonestly, its difficult to find a place that has not only good work but great people. I can't say enough about the people. Most days, it doesn't feel like work.

ConsThe Rauxa acquisition has been challenging as their culture is very different from ours. I hope they take the time to learn what we do because its something unique.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't lose what's great about ThoughtMatrix culture with the Rauxa integration. It's something that everyone who works here treasures. The Rah-rah culture of Rauxa comes with something difficult to deal with - as seen by their reviews - a lack of respect for talent and culture - and life/work balance. Those make us stand out, and I hope we don't lose it.

Get Your Experience, then Leave ASAP

(Former Employee)

Pros- You will meet and interact with people who are very knowledgeable (if not experts) in their respective fields. The information and experience you will glean from them is invaluable.

- In addition to the above, you will meet at least a handful of people who are great individuals.

- Rauxa is all about appearances, so the offices are relatively modern. They do a decent job of making a cube-farm environment aesthetically pleasing, yet still functional.

- They are making an effort to move away from DM and into the digital landscape, though there seems to be a hard separation in the type of work you do, based on the company you actually work for. If you work for Rauxa, you are still doing DM; if you work for Thought Matrix ("Rauxa Digital"), you are doing digital.

Cons- First off, you can assume that any review with a Rah Rah Rauxa! tone is fake, and one generated from an internal effort to raise the Glassdoor review score. Not to mention they threatened lookbeforeyouleap.com with legal action to take their reviews offline.

- To reiterate a bullet point from another review:

"Rauxa Digital is a mess. It's shot gun marriage with a back-end Digital shop up in SF that looks at Rauxa as a client (or a way to gain more clients), than an actual part of the Rauxa team. They are expensive, arrogant, and frankly not nearly as good as they think they are. They are VERY difficult to work with - from accounts, to production, to creative, to billing."

The above cannot be emphasized enough. The arrogance and difficulty in working with Thought Matrix is beyond expression. Rauxa may have purchased Thought Matrix, but the reality is that Thought Matrix is running the show. The "integration" between the two companies can only be categorized as a failure of EPIC proportion. Don't be surprised if the Rauxa brand disappears and becomes Thought Matrix.

- Raises pretty much only apply to the Accounts/Client Services team. All other departments have to fight tooth and nail for their people to receive even a modicum of recognition and reward. Be prepared to be inundated with emails notifying you that someone in that group has been promoted.

- Any semblance of work/life balance is non-existent. Make no mistake about it, Rauxa will use every last ounce of you, and will toss you aside without a second thought. As per the title, get the experience you need to land the next job, and leave as soon as you can. There is a reason that people employed there 3+ years are considered "veterans".

- Despite what other reviews state, annual bonuses are non-existent.

- The culture has shifted, and Rauxa has seemingly closed off communications between management and staff. Financials are no longer open, and the company is now ran behind closed doors by two people; and no, the CEO is not one of them. Be prepared to jump into an environment of speculation and gossip.

- It used to be that employees were onboarded and setup to succeed. Current management practice has completely devalued HR initiatives, and employees are now left to sink or swim.

Advice to Senior Management- Give the corporate reign back to the CEO, because the way things are unfolding, you are bleeding all of the people who brought you success in the first place.

- The end result can only be a complete take over from Thought Matrix. After all, they are the ones successfully (?) doing digital, and we should adopt their mean-spirited and demeaning attitudes, right?

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Run by bossy bitchy money hungry women

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Costa Mesa, CA

Prossalaries were very generous and I got great annual bonuses (10% of salary) around christmas time. Generous with profit sharing.

Consworked long, stressful, demanding hours. Don't care about your work/personal life balance. Many women suffered infertility problems due to extremely high stress levels.

Do yourself a favor and DON'T work here!

Associate Manager, Client Service (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsNice NYC Office. Beer cart on Fridays.

ConsUnless you are a desperate for a job, and I mean desperate, do yourself a favor and save yourself countless headaches and do NOT work here. Upper management has no respect for its employees - ask's to file their expenses, get coffee, handle flight expenses. Instead of using someones skills and knowledge, employees are told to do repetitive and belittling tasks that require no skill set. The entire co. seemed to be run by a group of sorority girls that just talked smack about one another and put more focus on shopping for clothes online. It was a very negative environment.
    Also, all the negative reviews below are 100% correct... so i will end my review here.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe a good boss. Do not put down your employees - have respect. Talk about how you can help them grow their career and how you can be a great mentor.

Nov 1, 2013

Thank you for your comments. We truly want to create the best possible experience for our employees and it pains me to hear you say this! But, it's true, to keep things running smoothly, there are ... More

Free... at last

(Former Employee) Costa Mesa, CA

Pros- You'll come away from this job, with a healthy and determined appreciation of what you don't want to do in your next job.
    - There are some amazing people who have been hoodwinked into thinking this is their only option in life and have completely submitted. Their unhappiness is evident, but their intelligence is there all the same. Try to learn from these people if you go there, they are bright and won't be let go because the agency would collapse without these few key roles
    - Above market pay, below market respect
    - Drinking on the job, not taboo
    - Contemporary architectural office elements

ConsI agree with the majority of the reviews here, they seem to be giving it straight. The super positive reviews are vague and I specifically remember a campaign by senior management to improve internet ratings for this company... sending an email instructing employees to publish positive information. This was also for mobile application reviews for clients and client generated assessments for improvement; there was even several meetings on how to fill these out so the client got the best possible score. In my book, unethical behavior is unbashful here.

- Benefits: 401k match was not paid in prior 3 years and is only distributed once annually, so that they can retract it if the company doesn't achieve a 20% profit. To keep the masses quiet a $1000 pre-tax check is handed out at the holidays in lieu of your negotiated bonus, 401k match, or profit share disbursement without notification.

- Leadership: The senior leadership, well, does not lead. Each year employees are expected to set 3-5 strategic goals, however the overall company has no goals other than, more profit. That's not a goal, it's a result. Weaknesses are not addressed, they are fired or ignored. National offices are pitted against each other for success.

- Respect: The few leadership moments I did see have to do with shaming employees that take a risk to provide innovative ideas. Unfortunately, this suppresses anyone else who might want to provide an idea. The men at this company have a difficult time maintaining equality anymore than a year at this female dominated (and getting payback) environment. It's uncomfortable to watch.

- Culture: Know that the owner of this company comes from money and is surrounded by a bunch of secretary made CEO come-ups who want to be like the owner. Employees are treated as tools, not assets and everyone is replaceable outside the inner circle.
    Sales based culture, top to bottom. If you don't look like (straight hair, skinny female), talk like (yes, yes, yes), or act like (work through or completely cancel scheduled vacations) then you will not be seen as a sales person and you're days are numbered. This goes for every department, not just sales. Birthdays, weddings, first house... don't expect your co-workers to care, it's just a distraction from going home. Skip or eat lunch at your desk, the stress of leaving for an hour is not worth it.

- Work/Life: Work, period. Have your phone on and answer in the car, on the weekend, during your the birth of your first child. And cheerfully reply you'd be happy to cancel your activity in the middle of it and work remotely to finish a project. You're not allowed to say the following phrases, "I'm out of the country and unavailable", "I will TRY my best" (don't try, do), "No". You will not be trained, you just have to go with it. Client facing meetings have to be very positive, any negative results that could help the client learn/grow are suppressed. Employees were asked to work through company holiday celebrations.

- Ethics: Number games are being played by sales staff to inflate their checks, and this is politely ignored while operations staff is being let go to maintain a higher margin.

Advice to Senior ManagementMoney does not make you a better or superior person to any of the employees. If you can one day accept this, you'll see a staff of bright people with amazing ideas that could save this company from declining profits. Also, you need to be attending several education opportunities a year to help lead the agency to become digital... logging into social media once a month doesn't count.

Nov 1, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to contribute your feedback. I never want us to ignore feedback or be afraid to look in the mirror and find aspects of truth in everything.

In regards to
    ... More

Long Hours, High Turnover Rate, Low Morale

(Former Employee) Costa Mesa, CA

ProsPosh facility
    Trendy atmosphere
    Treat clients well
    High energy

Cons1. Rauxa is a way of life, not a job. Though it goes unsaid, having commitments (or even a life) outside of work/the office is highly frowned upon. Work takes precedence over everything. The majority of employees neglect their personal lives, and many of the women there opt to spend nights and weekends working, putting Rauxa before husbands, family, and even themselves. Ten-plus hour days are the norm, especially once you delve deeper into/become more acquainted with your position and account. Taking lunches at your desk and cancelling after-work plans to finish work becomes second-nature after awhile. (This goes for management AND entry level employees).

2. They’ll hire you at a decent salary (IF you negotiate), eventually “let you go”, and re-fill the position with someone who has less experience and will settle for a lower salary (most likely because they’re straight out of school/have had little to no work experience in the past). Jobs here are definitely short-term. However, this is a plus for Rauxa because it leaves them with more money to buy $400 purses for clients’ birthdays, $800+ client dinners at Morton’s, and expensive leather jackets when the client is having a “bad day”.

3. You are expected to have your work cell on you at all times (this includes nights, mornings, weekends, and yes, when you run to the restroom). Missed calls = a lecture.

4. Rauxa’s CEO, Jill, comes off as self-absorbed/impersonal and uses company meetings as an excuse to boost her ego by demanding employees’ attention (she likes to put on music and dance around at the monthly meetings while everyone sits and watches her; it’s awkward). Jill does not know a lot of her employees’ names, which is strange considering Rauxa is a small company.

5. VPs use Client Service members for personal assistants. It’s common for VPs to ask employees to pause what they’re doing to mail their utility bills, go get their lunch, coffee, and misc. items they forgot at their house that morning.

6. In conclusion: don’t plan on making your job a long-term career unless you want to eat, sleep, and breathe Rauxa and their clients. There are plenty of ad/marketing agencies in the surrounding area. Preserve your sanity by sending your resume somewhere else!

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't exchange skilled employees (aka those with a higher salary) for inexperienced newcomers. It shows in the agency's work.

Dec 6, 2013

Thank you for your candid feedback. Rauxa is a way of life for many, including me. I will be the first to admit that there are times when Rauxa comes ahead of aspects of my personal life. Working ... More

Blind Leading the Blind

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Costa Mesa, CA

Pros"Hungry" company vision, some very nice co-workers, beautiful building, tons of process and guidelines for those that prefer that. Overall, good place for a very first foray into the biz but get in and get out to a REAL ad agency.

ConsProcess and guidelines are so excessive they hinder work, print/DM shop trying to disguise itself as a digital full-service agency, no real desire companywide to advance their learning to actually "think" like a digital shop, the hunger of the company vision to succeed is unrealistic because of managements' inability to be transparent and have self-awareness in their lack of knowledge in the field, they do big mass hires and big mass fires (as recent as this year). It's like the blind leading the blind here.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a step back and look at yourselves compared against the greats in the companies you are trying to emulate. Ask yourself, "What experience do they specifically have? What experience do their employees have? What kind of internal education do they do?" The company can't keep pitching business it doesn't even understand how to perform (ie. social media).

Dec 6, 2013

As recently as this week, Rauxa's management team met offsite to discuss the industry, our competition and what differentiates us. We want to deliver not only the best experience for our clients but ... More

The Stepford Wives are Alive and Well at Rauxa

Account Supervisor (Former Employee)

ProsThey entice new people to join by offering great pay.

ConsIt is a direct shop trying to expand to social. This is a sales organization where the sr. account team is on commission. In the industry they are known as the agency that brings coffee to the client. While nice to your face, no one is trustworthy. It is a revolving door where probably 50% of new employees are gone within the first year. FYI most of the positive reviews on here sound fake.

Dec 6, 2013

Thank you for the feedback. Rauxa tracks and reports our vital factors including employee turnover, which is in fact at an industry low. Also, small point of clarification, our account teams are not ... More

Great people!

ProsThis amazing group of people makes Rauxa a fun place to come to work every day. Being a small/mid-size company, it allows your voice to be heard and for you to get you hands in every aspect of a job.

ConsThey tend to over-promise, causing employees to work very long hours.

The digital half of the team can cause frustration at times.

Dec 6, 2013

Thanks for contributing your feedback. I agree that we’re a fun group of people! I also agree that we work really hard, which sometimes leads to extra hours. A lot of us have an intense mentality to ... More

Worked for Rauxa? Contribute to the Community!