Rauxa Reviews

Updated August 6, 2014
Updated August 6, 2014
2.8

Jill Gwaltney

Pros
  • Rauxa is a super fun work environment (in 7 reviews)

• Smart and hardworking group of people (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Any semblance of work/life balance is non-existent (in 5 reviews)

• You either do things in a very specific way dictated by upper management or you will be chastised (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

A different "agency" than you would expect

I have been working at Rauxa full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The senior execs, especially the two co-founders are highly involved, approachable and engaged. Unlike some agencies where there is a big divide between the top and everyone else, they are involved not just in bringing in new clients, but in the delivering the work itself. You feel much more like you're part of a team than just another employee.

There is less politics than I've seen at other agencies and companies. In fact, everyone seems to be much more work friends than colleagues which makes working on tight deadlines or with the inevitable difficult client easier.

Cons

Because the execs are often involved in the client work, they are spread too thin and can sometimes create more of a bottleneck, which falls back on everyone else to close the gaps.

The growing pains were already evident, but have become bigger issues since being acquired. Even though the acquiring agency is small, they act like a big company and the mix is challenging.

The acquiring agency has a very different culture. As is typical, they pay lip service to valuing employees, but many decisions conflict with that.

Time will tell whether the acquisition will turn out to be a net positive.

Build the team of senior leaders at the next level so there is less a bottleneck.

Either truly make the integration work and maintain the ThoughtMatrix culture as much as possible or agree to continue to work as a subsidiary.

Hell on Earth

I have been working at Rauxa full-time (more than an year)

Pros

My time at Rauxa, formerly ThoughtMatrix (digital business) was generally very positive. The management team from the digital business is a highly competent group. Department managers have high expectations, and they treat their team members with the utmost respect. Happy and talented individuals produce the best work, and I was consistently proud of what we delivered.

Cons

The umbrella "con" and hence the basis of this review is the integration, specifically the acquiring agency. The acquisition happened several years ago, but the formal brand integration began this January. If you'd like to know what it's like to work for Rauxa Direct, take the aforementioned description and imagine the exact opposite. There is a surreal and feigned energy in the Rauxa offices, and none of it is genuine. The "strategic" recommendations being made in the direct business are not only often unsound, but also poorly executed. They are attempting to catch up to market needs, but management really only knows how to sell and deliver direct mail and traditional email marketing services. There are some wonderful and talented individuals, however the majority of employees are downright nasty. Promotions take place for political reasons more often than merit. The digital and direct teams have clashed tremendously, and I don't expect this to improve. Expect a mass exodus of talent from the former digital business if this trend continues.

FIX. YOUR. CULTURE. Gina, your insipid replies to these 'negative' reviews are useless. Actually take these reviews to heart. Hold people accountable for unacceptable behavior, and do not allow your managers to treat people like garbage. Cultivate a place that people want to work, and you will attract to talent you need to fill in the holes in your offering.

Believe all the negative reviews and stay away from this agency

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Costa Mesa, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Costa Mesa, CA

I have been working at Rauxa full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Get to meet some talented (albeit unhappy) people
    Perfect company for those interested in doing the bare minimum
    Easy company to BS your way through to a promotion

Cons

No transparency
    Non-existent communication
    Bad culture
    No semblance of process or procedures
    Lack of expertise in areas claimed to be capable of delivering
    Willingness to sacrifice employee satisfaction for the bottom line

Nothing ever changes. Lots of words and very little action towards change. Stop losing people who can make this agency a nicer/better place to work and start cleaning house of people that don't know what they are doing.

Several changes since the acquisition

Former Employee - Creative Director in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Creative Director in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Rauxa full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The management team at ThoughtMatrix are very good people. They have a better understanding of the technology landscape than most agencies, and have adapted the lean agile process to work within an agency environment.

Cons

I was there during the growth and acquisition phase of the company. I left because I felt the acquiring company was a cultural mismatch, and the focus on direct/email was less interesting than the previous work.

Probably the worst job I ever had

Former Employee - Production Artist in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Production Artist in New York, NY

I worked at Rauxa full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I developed a handful of positive professional relationships with my colleagues at Rauxa and we have been able to help each other grow since our respective leavings of the company.

Cons

All mistakes and errors were treated as grievous endemic problems that required full procedural overhauls in order to fix. Politicking, playing the game, and saying the right thing to smooth over people's personalities was valued. Management in the New York office was micromanagement, and hours in the production department were long, slow, and dreadfully empty of work.

Production meetings were spent looking at revenue spreadsheets that did not directly apply to the production department, and though it was in the interest of transparency (perhaps) no analysis or attempt to make relevant was ever made.

Within three weeks of my hire, a source of revenue was lost which resulted in panic lay-offs. The revenue source was shortly recovered, but the panic lay-offs revealed a serious problem in long-term thinking.

Unless things have changed since I left, I cannot imagine this company growing. They hold one single major client that they must scramble to keep happy; for if they lost this one client Rauxa would not be able to support itself.

Good Company, Good Work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Rauxa full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great people, very entrepreneurial, great variety of work across many technologies. I love the ability to work virtually and come into the office for client and team meetings when necessary.

Cons

Business is very cyclic. Super busy one month, trying to find things to do the next. It becomes difficult to become a master in a new technology without a steady supply of projects that utilize it.

Spend more time creating a stable pipeline of work. If possible, send more employees to training and conferences so we can stay up on the latest trends and technologies while networking with our peers at other companies.

In and Out

I have been working at Rauxa full-time (less than an year)

Pros

-Nice offices
    -There are actually some decent people left in the world

Cons

All of what the negative reviews say are true. Perhaps I wasn't "Rauxan" material. Still, I got to meet some good people who felt the way I felt. Least I know I wasn't alone.

A snake pit...

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Rauxa

Pros

Not much really... Nice office. Free coffee.

Cons

Back stabbing. Finger pointing. Cut throat co-workers. Upper management treat workers like dogs. Overall snake pit...

Treat staff like people, not cattle going to slaughter... Be truthful and transparent.

Fabulous company, great work life balance

I have been working at Rauxa full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

work-life balance
    smart people
    opportunities to play different roles

Cons

small company
    need for more structure around process and resourcing

Not for the faint of heart. But jobs that pay well usually aren't.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Costa Mesa, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Costa Mesa, CA

I worked at Rauxa full-time

Pros

1. Good pay - especially for the OC

2. Fun work culture

3. If you are a female, and just starting out, a great place to make life long friends

4. Some (not all) managers will give you the freedom to do your own thing - if you can prove to them you don't need your hand held

5. Cool office

6. Lots of client interaction, even for younger people which is great for future growth

7. Trying to move towards digital, away from DM which is a smart play for the future

8. Most of the departments feel like their working towards a common goal

9. They promote internally, and give regular raises

10. See # 1. Then look at it again.

Cons

1. Ever wondered what a sorority house filled with the cast of "Mean Girls" might be like? You've come to the right place.

2. People here would rather smile to your face and stab you in the back, then just come out and say what their problem is. Or work together to fix the problem. By far most passive aggressive place I've ever seen.

3. Management believes everyone is replaceable, and usually at a lower rate. Worse, they'll tell you what a "Rauxastar" you are to your face - while looking for your replacement.

4. Rauxa is known as the agency that brings you coffee. And that's a great way of keeping SOME clients happy (or at least amused). However, wouldn't you rather work for a company know for bringing smart ideas/solutions? I know for a fact some clients actually mock Rauxa for the whole coffee thing.

5. Expanding on the above, Rauxa was created in the image of the owner. She was a print sales person who never takes no for answer. She's a genuine force to be reckoned with. And you've got to respect what she's built. But she knows less about traditional or digital advertising then she thinks, and it can make for some VERY awkward meetings with high-level clients.

6. There is a strong disconnect between what Rauxa THINKS they are (world-class, full service ad agency with strong digital skills) and what they ACTUALLY are (Very solid Direct Mail/Email shop with powerful Data/Analytics chops).

7. Rauxa Digital is a mess. It's shot gun marriage with a back-end Digital shop up in SF that looks at Rauxa as a client (or a way to gain more clients), than an actual part of the Rauxa team. They are expensive, arrogant, and frankly not nearly as good as they think they are. They are VERY difficult to work with - from accounts, to production, to creative, to billing.

8. That whole work/life balance thing? Forget it. You best keep your cell on your nightstand - no matter what department you work for.

9. It will seem like the clients are very demanding at first. Until you realize, they've pretty much been told Rauxa will do ANYTHING at any hour for them. It's seen as a badge of pride, and pretty much encourages clients to abuse the lower level people that actually do the work.

10. Yes, Rauxa asked Jr. level people to write positive reviews. I'm sorry, but it's a fact. And frankly, that's pretty gross.

See Pro #1? It can make you accept all the Cons. And that's ok - as long as you have your eyes wide open.

Think beyond yourself. Genuinely care about people. Actions speak louder than words. Confront problems with the same zeal you chase business.