Rauxa
www.rauxa.com Costa Mesa, CA 150 to 499 Employees

Rauxa Reviews

Updated Apr 15, 2014

Jill Gwaltney

Not for the faint of heart. But jobs that pay well usually aren't.

I worked at Rauxa full-time

Pros1. Good pay - especially for the OC

2. Fun work culture

3. If you are a female, and just starting out, a great place to make life long friends

4. Some (not all) managers will give you the freedom to do your own thing - if you can prove to them you don't need your hand held

5. Cool office

6. Lots of client interaction, even for younger people which is great for future growth

7. Trying to move towards digital, away from DM which is a smart play for the future

8. Most of the departments feel like their working towards a common goal

9. They promote internally, and give regular raises

10. See # 1. Then look at it again.

Cons1. Ever wondered what a sorority house filled with the cast of "Mean Girls" might be like? You've come to the right place.

2. People here would rather smile to your face and stab you in the back, then just come out and say what their problem is. Or work together to fix the problem. By far most passive aggressive place I've ever seen.

3. Management believes everyone is replaceable, and usually at a lower rate. Worse, they'll tell you what a "Rauxastar" you are to your face - while looking for your replacement.

4. Rauxa is known as the agency that brings you coffee. And that's a great way of keeping SOME clients happy (or at least amused). However, wouldn't you rather work for a company know for bringing smart ideas/solutions? I know for a fact some clients actually mock Rauxa for the whole coffee thing.

5. Expanding on the above, Rauxa was created in the image of the owner. She was a print sales person who never takes no for answer. She's a genuine force to be reckoned with. And you've got to respect what she's built. But she knows less about traditional or digital advertising then she thinks, and it can make for some VERY awkward meetings with high-level clients.

6. There is a strong disconnect between what Rauxa THINKS they are (world-class, full service ad agency with strong digital skills) and what they ACTUALLY are (Very solid Direct Mail/Email shop with powerful Data/Analytics chops).

7. Rauxa Digital is a mess. It's shot gun marriage with a back-end Digital shop up in SF that looks at Rauxa as a client (or a way to gain more clients), than an actual part of the Rauxa team. They are expensive, arrogant, and frankly not nearly as good as they think they are. They are VERY difficult to work with - from accounts, to production, to creative, to billing.

8. That whole work/life balance thing? Forget it. You best keep your cell on your nightstand - no matter what department you work for.

9. It will seem like the clients are very demanding at first. Until you realize, they've pretty much been told Rauxa will do ANYTHING at any hour for them. It's seen as a badge of pride, and pretty much encourages clients to abuse the lower level people that actually do the work.

10. Yes, Rauxa asked Jr. level people to write positive reviews. I'm sorry, but it's a fact. And frankly, that's pretty gross.

See Pro #1? It can make you accept all the Cons. And that's ok - as long as you have your eyes wide open.

Advice to Senior ManagementThink beyond yourself. Genuinely care about people. Actions speak louder than words. Confront problems with the same zeal you chase business.

In and Out

I have been working at Rauxa full-time for less than a year

Pros-Nice offices
-There are actually some decent people left in the world

ConsAll of what the negative reviews say are true. Perhaps I wasn't "Rauxan" material. Still, I got to meet some good people who felt the way I felt. Least I know I wasn't alone.

A snake pit...

Anonymous (Former Employee)

I worked at Rauxa

ProsNot much really... Nice office. Free coffee.

ConsBack stabbing. Finger pointing. Cut throat co-workers. Upper management treat workers like dogs. Overall snake pit...

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat staff like people, not cattle going to slaughter... Be truthful and transparent.

All the BAD REVIEWS are TRUE. You have been warned.

New York, NY

I worked at Rauxa full-time for less than a year

ProsOffice is nice, a few genuine people (a very few)

ConsLate hours, shady management, low morale, set up for failure at the start

Advice to Senior ManagementMy director manager was probably the worst manager I have ever had in my 10+ years in the agency world. Instead of blaming employees, why not look at those that are in VP or C-level roles, first? Problems always trickle down from the top and this place is a perfect example of that.

Also, stop saying yes to everything - especially when you can't deliver it. It just makes you look bad and clients are not stupid.

Also, I experienced certain clients being allowed to share space in the NYC office which lead to many uncomfortable situations not only for that client team but for other Rauxa employees who had to bow down to, give up conference room space to, and deal with daily disruptions from this client. And upper management just turned the other cheek.

Bad, bad, bad all around.

Believe the reviews, I should have!

Great mid-size agency... with growing pains

Costa Mesa, CA

I have been working at Rauxa full-time for more than a year

ProsAs a current employee at Rauxa, I thought it was important to voice my perspective and feedback related to the company as it’s slightly different from some of the most recent reviews.

Rauxa has a bright future ahead. There's been a lot of strategic hires, new client wins and emphasis on elevating company culture. Rauxa is on cusp of change. With any change, comes a lot of internal challenges and push back. There's a bit of growing pains, but I'm confident it's all for the greater good.

Great team. I've been at Rauxa for about a year and I've been constantly impressed by the people I've met. Not only are they experts in their field, but they are great to work with on a daily basis.

Entrepreneurial mindset. Since Rauxa is independently owned, that independent spirit lives within the people here. There is a bit of a "roll-up-your-sleeves and jump in" mentality, but I definitely feel empowered to voice my opinion and share ideas.

ConsThere needs to be better integration - culturally and operationally - with the digital arm. We feel like two separate companies with two separate leaders.

Career Development. While I feel there are a lot of opportunities to grow and progress with Rauxa, I'd like to receive more formalized training and educational opportunities that can be applied at Rauxa and beyond.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake yourself more available to your employees. Personally, I love working with our leaders, but schedules and client work get in the way of valuable face-to-face interaction.

Rauxa is great on the surface, but somewhat of a mess internally

Costa Mesa, CA

I worked at Rauxa full-time for more than a year

Pros-Rauxa is a super fun work environment.
-Teams work well together
-Very good at satisfying client needs.
-Produce great work

Cons-Behind the scenes is a mess.
-Big disconnect between senior management and other employees.
-on-boarding process is poor.
-Don't value employees enough.
-Pay is not great.
-Not a great place to develop skills
-Always making temporary fixes instead of looking at the big picture
-Not run like a typical agency

Get Your Experience, then Leave ASAP

I worked at Rauxa full-time

Pros- You will meet and interact with people who are very knowledgeable (if not experts) in their respective fields. The information and experience you will glean from them is invaluable.

- In addition to the above, you will meet at least a handful of people who are great individuals.

- Rauxa is all about appearances, so the offices are relatively modern. They do a decent job of making a cube-farm environment aesthetically pleasing, yet still functional.

- They are making an effort to move away from DM and into the digital landscape, though there seems to be a hard separation in the type of work you do, based on the company you actually work for. If you work for Rauxa, you are still doing DM; if you work for Thought Matrix ("Rauxa Digital"), you are doing digital.

Cons- First off, you can assume that any review with a Rah Rah Rauxa! tone is fake, and one generated from an internal effort to raise the Glassdoor review score. Not to mention they threatened lookbeforeyouleap.com with legal action to take their reviews offline.

- To reiterate a bullet point from another review:

"Rauxa Digital is a mess. It's shot gun marriage with a back-end Digital shop up in SF that looks at Rauxa as a client (or a way to gain more clients), than an actual part of the Rauxa team. They are expensive, arrogant, and frankly not nearly as good as they think they are. They are VERY difficult to work with - from accounts, to production, to creative, to billing."

The above cannot be emphasized enough. The arrogance and difficulty in working with Thought Matrix is beyond expression. Rauxa may have purchased Thought Matrix, but the reality is that Thought Matrix is running the show. The "integration" between the two companies can only be categorized as a failure of EPIC proportion. Don't be surprised if the Rauxa brand disappears and becomes Thought Matrix.

- Raises pretty much only apply to the Accounts/Client Services team. All other departments have to fight tooth and nail for their people to receive even a modicum of recognition and reward. Be prepared to be inundated with emails notifying you that someone in that group has been promoted.

- Any semblance of work/life balance is non-existent. Make no mistake about it, Rauxa will use every last ounce of you, and will toss you aside without a second thought. As per the title, get the experience you need to land the next job, and leave as soon as you can. There is a reason that people employed there 3+ years are considered "veterans".

- Despite what other reviews state, annual bonuses are non-existent.

- The culture has shifted, and Rauxa has seemingly closed off communications between management and staff. Financials are no longer open, and the company is now ran behind closed doors by two people; and no, the CEO is not one of them. Be prepared to jump into an environment of speculation and gossip.

- It used to be that employees were onboarded and setup to succeed. Current management practice has completely devalued HR initiatives, and employees are now left to sink or swim.

Advice to Senior Management- Give the corporate reign back to the CEO, because the way things are unfolding, you are bleeding all of the people who brought you success in the first place.

- The end result can only be a complete take over from Thought Matrix. After all, they are the ones successfully (?) doing digital, and we should adopt their mean-spirited and demeaning attitudes, right?

Run by bossy bitchy money hungry women

I worked at Rauxa full-time for more than 3 years

Prossalaries were very generous and I got great annual bonuses (10% of salary) around christmas time. Generous with profit sharing.

Consworked long, stressful, demanding hours. Don't care about your work/personal life balance. Many women suffered infertility problems due to extremely high stress levels.

Do yourself a favor and DON'T work here!

Associate Manager, Client Service (Former Employee)
New York, NY

I worked at Rauxa full-time for less than a year

ProsNice NYC Office. Beer cart on Fridays.

ConsUnless you are a desperate for a job, and I mean desperate, do yourself a favor and save yourself countless headaches and do NOT work here. Upper management has no respect for its employees - ask's to file their expenses, get coffee, handle flight expenses. Instead of using someones skills and knowledge, employees are told to do repetitive and belittling tasks that require no skill set. The entire co. seemed to be run by a group of sorority girls that just talked smack about one another and put more focus on shopping for clothes online. It was a very negative environment.
Also, all the negative reviews below are 100% correct... so i will end my review here.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe a good boss. Do not put down your employees - have respect. Talk about how you can help them grow their career and how you can be a great mentor.

Flag Review

Rauxa President responded to this review

Nov 1, 2013

Thank you for your comments. We truly want to create the best possible experience for our employees and it pains me to hear you say this! But, it's true, to keep things running smoothly, there are ... More

Free... at last

I worked at Rauxa full-time for more than 3 years

Pros- You'll come away from this job, with a healthy and determined appreciation of what you don't want to do in your next job.
- There are some amazing people who have been hoodwinked into thinking this is their only option in life and have completely submitted. Their unhappiness is evident, but their intelligence is there all the same. Try to learn from these people if you go there, they are bright and won't be let go because the agency would collapse without these few key roles
- Above market pay, below market respect
- Drinking on the job, not taboo
- Contemporary architectural office elements

ConsI agree with the majority of the reviews here, they seem to be giving it straight. The super positive reviews are vague and I specifically remember a campaign by senior management to improve internet ratings for this company... sending an email instructing employees to publish positive information. This was also for mobile application reviews for clients and client generated assessments for improvement; there was even several meetings on how to fill these out so the client got the best possible score. In my book, unethical behavior is unbashful here.

- Benefits: 401k match was not paid in prior 3 years and is only distributed once annually, so that they can retract it if the company doesn't achieve a 20% profit. To keep the masses quiet a $1000 pre-tax check is handed out at the holidays in lieu of your negotiated bonus, 401k match, or profit share disbursement without notification.

- Leadership: The senior leadership, well, does not lead. Each year employees are expected to set 3-5 strategic goals, however the overall company has no goals other than, more profit. That's not a goal, it's a result. Weaknesses are not addressed, they are fired or ignored. National offices are pitted against each other for success.

- Respect: The few leadership moments I did see have to do with shaming employees that take a risk to provide innovative ideas. Unfortunately, this suppresses anyone else who might want to provide an idea. The men at this company have a difficult time maintaining equality anymore than a year at this female dominated (and getting payback) environment. It's uncomfortable to watch.

- Culture: Know that the owner of this company comes from money and is surrounded by a bunch of secretary made CEO come-ups who want to be like the owner. Employees are treated as tools, not assets and everyone is replaceable outside the inner circle.
Sales based culture, top to bottom. If you don't look like (straight hair, skinny female), talk like (yes, yes, yes), or act like (work through or completely cancel scheduled vacations) then you will not be seen as a sales person and you're days are numbered. This goes for every department, not just sales. Birthdays, weddings, first house... don't expect your co-workers to care, it's just a distraction from going home. Skip or eat lunch at your desk, the stress of leaving for an hour is not worth it.

- Work/Life: Work, period. Have your phone on and answer in the car, on the weekend, during your the birth of your first child. And cheerfully reply you'd be happy to cancel your activity in the middle of it and work remotely to finish a project. You're not allowed to say the following phrases, "I'm out of the country and unavailable", "I will TRY my best" (don't try, do), "No". You will not be trained, you just have to go with it. Client facing meetings have to be very positive, any negative results that could help the client learn/grow are suppressed. Employees were asked to work through company holiday celebrations.

- Ethics: Number games are being played by sales staff to inflate their checks, and this is politely ignored while operations staff is being let go to maintain a higher margin.

Advice to Senior ManagementMoney does not make you a better or superior person to any of the employees. If you can one day accept this, you'll see a staff of bright people with amazing ideas that could save this company from declining profits. Also, you need to be attending several education opportunities a year to help lead the agency to become digital... logging into social media once a month doesn't count.

Flag Review

Rauxa President responded to this review

Nov 1, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to contribute your feedback. I never want us to ignore feedback or be afraid to look in the mirror and find aspects of truth in everything.

In regards to
... More

Worked for Rauxa? Contribute to the Community!

Rauxa Videos

Rauxa – Why Work for Us?

Rauxa was founded in 1999 with a clear vision to help brands acquire, engage, retain, grow and win back customers. Since then, we’ve kept these core principals while adding new services and capabilities that address the… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Rauxa reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Rauxa CEO Jill Gwaltney. All 38 reviews posted anonymously by Rauxa employees.