Rauxa Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.2
Jill Gwaltney

Pros
  • Relaxed and flexible work environment (in 7 reviews)

• Great people, very entrepreneurial, great variety of work across many technologies (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Any semblance of work/life balance is non-existent (in 6 reviews)

• You either do things in a very specific way dictated by upper management or you will be chastised (in 9 reviews)

1. Challenging work

Pros

Interesting project opportunities and exposure to senior leadership at clients.

Cons

Intense working environment for new college grads

2. Good place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Costa Mesa, CA

Pros

Talented account teams and smart strategic thinking

Cons

Creative dept needs some work

Advice to Management

upgrade digital capabilities

Don't Stay Long

I worked at Rauxa full-time

Pros

Cool Offices • Beer Fridays • Some Great and Knowledgeable Coworkers I had the opportunity to work with some very talented and knowledgeable people, most of whom didn’t stay very long. Initially after being hired, I had a lot of support and appreciation. Unfortunately, that ended fairly quickly when key people were let go in one of many layoffs.

Cons

Shifting Focus and Priorities • Poor Morale • Personality, Not Performance, Driven • Chaotic • High Employee Turnover • Out-of-Touch Senior Management This isn’t a place to make a career or to stay long term. If you decide to work here, come, get the experience (or paycheck) you need, get out, and move on. Don’t stay more than a year, or two at most. Read and heed the other reviews, especially the negative ones. While I’m sure some people have had good experiences, most people I dealt with daily at Rauxa aligned far more with the negative. The agency is completely driven by sales, personality, and the bottom line – the owner is from a sales background, as are most key people in the agency. Everything else is of secondary concern, including employees. The exception being a small clique of senior management. They’re kind of like the cool kid’s table in high school, and the atmosphere feels very much like high school, or as another reviewer said, a college sorority. Image is another big deal – therefore, the cool offices, all the talk about wanting to be the best, caring for employees, and a deep concern for employee growth and retention. However, there’s no substance or follow up to the talk and glitter. Expect to stay late and work long, unappreciated hours with little or no notice. In other words, forget about your personal life. The only department with room for advancement is the Account Services department as they support the sales staff (VPs). With sales as the be-all and end-all of the agency, operations is an absolute nightmare. There is no project management other than for digital projects, and, most likely, only because it was inherited with the digital agency (ThoughtMatrix) Rauxa acquired a few years ago. While there are a ton of documented procedures, in the name of expediency, the bottom line, and to satisfy clients’ every whim and desire, they are the first thing thrown out the window. It’s highly chaotic. For most departments, it’s fly by the seat of your pants, and do whatever it takes to get the work out the door. Of course, the work and more suffers (see next paragraph). Morale among employees is, on the whole, horrible. The exceptions being Accounting and some Account Services people. Nearly all the key and senior people on the digital side, who came from the ThoughtMatrix acquisition, recently left. Only a shell of the digital group remains. They’re bleeding employees, which probably explains while, at the time of this writing, there are 50 open positions in a company of 200–250 people. It speaks volumes and isn’t because they’re growing. In fact, there are generally one to two major layoffs a year as management panics and reacts to shifting billable work, only to hire again a month or two later.

Advice to Management

I won’t bother giving advice to management. During my time at Rauxa, management continuously sought advice, only to ignore it. They kept getting the same answers, answers it appears they don’t like, and, seemingly, keep soliciting new advice in the hope of getting the answers they want.

Don't waste your time

I worked at Rauxa full-time

Pros

Pay is at or above other OC area employers. Easy to get hired as senior team is lax at interviewing.

Cons

Most reviews have already covered all the ground here. Too many on management team learning as they go with no prior experience. Little to no leadership left in the company. Very reactive. Hiring and promotions based on "culture" and not skills. All revenue coming from one customer.

Advice to Management

Get help. You've built a company that repels independent thinking and rewards pleasers. Employees get little to no training, no management, and are worked to exhaustion.

The reviews on glassdoor remain spot on. One star is too high.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Costa Mesa, CA

I worked at Rauxa full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people doing the work. They make payroll without fail. Good work life balance for some. Location is nice when you need to get out of the office which is a regular occurrence you have a great selection of local restaurants.

Cons

The reviews on glassdoor remain spot on. The executive management with specifics being c-level and VPs have no agency experience other than having worked at Rauxa. They neither know how to lead, nor support their staff. They continue to promote by popularity and fear rather than merit. They need to stick to what they know--direct mail and stop trying to fool themselves that they can do anything else

Advice to Management

Fire your selves and save the company.

Burn out by design

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Costa Mesa, CA

I worked at Rauxa full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Rauxa gave me a job when I need one in a difficult economy. I was happy with my salary. The strategy folks and several individual account managers were really great, but mostly, this was a tough tough place to work. But a lot can happen in 4 years. Maybe they're better now??? My perception was that the NY office was better than the Costa Mesa one.

Cons

Extraordinarily tight (and, often, artificially created) deadlines. If you only have 2 days on a job, there's no way to bill a bunch of hours - keeping costs down. Creatives seemed expendable. Seems like the business model was to burn through a new crop of people - then either they quit or get laid off. The company was changing over from more print to more digital when I was there. There were palpable growing pains and a lack of overall direction, but I know that happens whenever a major shift occurs. I was gone before they worked it out...but they might've been better off.

Wouldn't Recommend

I have been working at Rauxa full-time

Pros

Some amazing people/talent, benefits, some departments pay well

Cons

Political, zero transparency, no value in people, some departments underpaid

Advice to Management

Read cons

Great experience! Great people!

Former Employee - Account Services Intern in Costa Mesa, CA
    Former Employee - Account Services Intern in Costa Mesa, CA

Pros

Incredible experience working at a full-service ad agency. Worked closely with an account manager who really immersed me in the company. Had the opportunity to go visit clients, be a part of recordings, and sit in on many meetings. Additionally the company invested in my education and learning, making sure I got to visit with all parts of the agency. Rauxa really made me feel like part of the family for the 3 months I was interning there. Cannot speak to full-time jobs, but great summer experience and intern program.

Cons

Can't think of any particular cons

Great people, good work/life, occasional stimulating project.

Current Employee - One of the Many Getting IT Done in New York, NY
    Current Employee - One of the Many Getting IT Done in New York, NY

I have been working at Rauxa (More than 3 years)

Pros

Smart fun people that truly enjoy each other as people. The office culture really seems to protect the work/life balance. The client list is varied and the types of projects that come through keep us interested and consistently push us to grow our own personal career paths.

Cons

Like any office, you got a few dumb apples. Feel bad for our partners on the west coast that seem to be working in a completely different environment; that really skews the overall morale of the company as a whole.

Advice to Management

Slow down. Hirer smarter than you. Respect, trust and truly value those that are building this company for you. Saying "no" to clients sometimes can be sign of strength and smarts.

Completely Inept

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Great pay and benefits. Good client list.

Cons

A direct agency that bought a digital agency and then completely dissolved it. Pretends to be a large agency that does everything, but doesn't really know much about anything. Places unrealistic demands on the employees it treats like cattle.

Advice to Management

Get back in your lane. Direct is what you know, and you should stick to it. Also, respect and treat your employees better - they make you what you are.

RSS Feed </> Embed