Rauxa

Updated December 10, 2014
Updated December 10, 2014
2.5

Jill Gwaltney

Pros
  • Rauxa is a super fun work environment (in 7 reviews)

• Smart and hardworking group of people (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Any semblance of work/life balance is non-existent (in 6 reviews)

• You either do things in a very specific way dictated by upper management or you will be chastised (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

On balance, I'll take Rauxa

I have been working at Rauxa full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Senior people are smart and they've diversified that talent base over the past 2-3 years. Really good, big-name client list. Great locations, nice office space, and lots of good learning/development opportunities for more junior staff.

Cons

A bit dominated by one huge client. Communications between management and staff could be much better. A very hardcore sales environment, which is a lot to get used to if you've worked at more typical agencies.

Put greater emphasis on improving the experience of working at Rauxa, especially for less senior people. Improve training and development opportunities. Communicate more so that people understand decisions and direction more than they do today.

Not your average agency.

Current Employee - Art Director in Costa Mesa, CA
    Current Employee - Art Director in Costa Mesa, CA

I have been working at Rauxa full-time (more than an year)

Pros

On the surface level, it's a fun agency. Fun culture, beer cart Fridays, nice large work space, and lots of positive young employees to make the place feel energetic.

Lots of opportunities to get hands on all sorts of projects since you're not on a dedicated team protocol. There's also lots of good leadership and everyone is a team player on the creative team.

It's might easy to get a job here, because they are peculiar about the type of employee they are looking for, and at the end of the day, they do hire high caliber creatives that do great work together and independently.

There's change coming. It takes time, but there's definitely effort put into place—only time will tell.

Cons

Lack of accountability. Lack of young account services with previous agency experience.

At the end of the day, it's up to you to make the best of your opportunity, which there are here if you look for it and are self-driven.

Read the rest of the reviews and you get the idea.

Too many promotions on the account side and not enough on the creative side.

Hire experienced people if you don't know how to handle those things so it's done right. Invest in growth.

Overall, too many decisions here are made based on emotions and not enough on stats and results. This is a challenging environment for many employees that come from outside agencies—it's not your average agency.

This used to be a good company

I have been working at Rauxa full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Smart developers and lower-level employees.

Cons

The upper management at Rauxa poison the culture for everyone. CEO Jill and President Gina are a joke. The most self-important and insecure leaders I've ever worked for. Company meetings run over into client calls just so they can cackle on like a couple of sorority girls to the company about how busy they both are. And come on, a "company jet" for Jill to fly from LA to San Francisco? For a company of our size, this is wasteful and unnecessary, especially when we hear that we are not making our goals and that we need to bill more hours.

Quit with the patting yourselves on the back in your ivory tower, and exhibit some humbleness and humility. Recognize the folks in the middle that are having the difficult conversations with clients and burning the midnight oil to get things done. Get out of Costa Mesa more and sit down with lower level employees to find out what they do and how you can make their work life better.

Disintegrating

Current Employee - Delivery in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Delivery in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Rauxa full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The innocent people who work there and the friendships I have formed.
    The view is nice.
    The location is convenient.
    Interesting clients.

Cons

The vibe is dreary.
    Poor decision making by upper mgmt.
    Not a place for the high tech, high level anymore. More of a junior environment. Things changed after acquisition.
    Not family friendly, non existent work / life balance.

Stop the company surveys until you can actually put some feedback action items into place.
    Think before making decisions that confuse people and cause concern.
    Help inspire those of us still here by helping us believe there is a future.
    Try to turn this culture around so it is perceived as professional and people want to stay.

Hell on Earth

I have been working at Rauxa full-time (more than an year)

Pros

My time at Rauxa, formerly ThoughtMatrix (digital business) was generally very positive. The management team from the digital business is a highly competent group. Department managers have high expectations, and they treat their team members with the utmost respect. Happy and talented individuals produce the best work, and I was consistently proud of what we delivered.

Cons

The umbrella "con" and hence the basis of this review is the integration, specifically the acquiring agency. The acquisition happened several years ago, but the formal brand integration began this January. If you'd like to know what it's like to work for Rauxa Direct, take the aforementioned description and imagine the exact opposite. There is a surreal and feigned energy in the Rauxa offices, and none of it is genuine. The "strategic" recommendations being made in the direct business are not only often unsound, but also poorly executed. They are attempting to catch up to market needs, but management really only knows how to sell and deliver direct mail and traditional email marketing services. There are some wonderful and talented individuals, however the majority of employees are downright nasty. Promotions take place for political reasons more often than merit. The digital and direct teams have clashed tremendously, and I don't expect this to improve. Expect a mass exodus of talent from the former digital business if this trend continues.

FIX. YOUR. CULTURE. Gina, your insipid replies to these 'negative' reviews are useless. Actually take these reviews to heart. Hold people accountable for unacceptable behavior, and do not allow your managers to treat people like garbage. Cultivate a place that people want to work, and you will attract to talent you need to fill in the holes in your offering.

Believe all the negative reviews and stay away from this agency

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Costa Mesa, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Costa Mesa, CA

I have been working at Rauxa full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Get to meet some talented (albeit unhappy) people
    Perfect company for those interested in doing the bare minimum
    Easy company to BS your way through to a promotion

Cons

No transparency
    Non-existent communication
    Bad culture
    No semblance of process or procedures
    Lack of expertise in areas claimed to be capable of delivering
    Willingness to sacrifice employee satisfaction for the bottom line

Nothing ever changes. Lots of words and very little action towards change. Stop losing people who can make this agency a nicer/better place to work and start cleaning house of people that don't know what they are doing.

A different "agency" than you would expect

I have been working at Rauxa full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The senior execs, especially the two co-founders are highly involved, approachable and engaged. Unlike some agencies where there is a big divide between the top and everyone else, they are involved not just in bringing in new clients, but in the delivering the work itself. You feel much more like you're part of a team than just another employee.

There is less politics than I've seen at other agencies and companies. In fact, everyone seems to be much more work friends than colleagues which makes working on tight deadlines or with the inevitable difficult client easier.

Cons

Because the execs are often involved in the client work, they are spread too thin and can sometimes create more of a bottleneck, which falls back on everyone else to close the gaps.

The growing pains were already evident, but have become bigger issues since being acquired. Even though the acquiring agency is small, they act like a big company and the mix is challenging.

The acquiring agency has a very different culture. As is typical, they pay lip service to valuing employees, but many decisions conflict with that.

Time will tell whether the acquisition will turn out to be a net positive.

Build the team of senior leaders at the next level so there is less a bottleneck.

Either truly make the integration work and maintain the ThoughtMatrix culture as much as possible or agree to continue to work as a subsidiary.

Several changes since the acquisition

Former Employee - Creative Director in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Creative Director in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Rauxa full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The management team at ThoughtMatrix are very good people. They have a better understanding of the technology landscape than most agencies, and have adapted the lean agile process to work within an agency environment.

Cons

I was there during the growth and acquisition phase of the company. I left because I felt the acquiring company was a cultural mismatch, and the focus on direct/email was less interesting than the previous work.

Probably the worst job I ever had

Former Employee - Production Artist in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Production Artist in New York, NY

I worked at Rauxa full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I developed a handful of positive professional relationships with my colleagues at Rauxa and we have been able to help each other grow since our respective leavings of the company.

Cons

All mistakes and errors were treated as grievous endemic problems that required full procedural overhauls in order to fix. Politicking, playing the game, and saying the right thing to smooth over people's personalities was valued. Management in the New York office was micromanagement, and hours in the production department were long, slow, and dreadfully empty of work.

Production meetings were spent looking at revenue spreadsheets that did not directly apply to the production department, and though it was in the interest of transparency (perhaps) no analysis or attempt to make relevant was ever made.

Within three weeks of my hire, a source of revenue was lost which resulted in panic lay-offs. The revenue source was shortly recovered, but the panic lay-offs revealed a serious problem in long-term thinking.

Unless things have changed since I left, I cannot imagine this company growing. They hold one single major client that they must scramble to keep happy; for if they lost this one client Rauxa would not be able to support itself.

Good Company, Good Work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Rauxa full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great people, very entrepreneurial, great variety of work across many technologies. I love the ability to work virtually and come into the office for client and team meetings when necessary.

Cons

Business is very cyclic. Super busy one month, trying to find things to do the next. It becomes difficult to become a master in a new technology without a steady supply of projects that utilize it.

Spend more time creating a stable pipeline of work. If possible, send more employees to training and conferences so we can stay up on the latest trends and technologies while networking with our peers at other companies.