Rauxa

Updated December 27, 2014
Updated December 27, 2014
2.7

Jill Gwaltney

Pros
  • Rauxa is a super fun work environment (in 7 reviews)

• Smart and hardworking group of people (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Any semblance of work/life balance is non-existent (in 6 reviews)

• You either do things in a very specific way dictated by upper management or you will be chastised (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Good Company, Good Work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Rauxa full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great people, very entrepreneurial, great variety of work across many technologies. I love the ability to work virtually and come into the office for client and team meetings when necessary.

Cons

Business is very cyclic. Super busy one month, trying to find things to do the next. It becomes difficult to become a master in a new technology without a steady supply of projects that utilize it.

Spend more time creating a stable pipeline of work. If possible, send more employees to training and conferences so we can stay up on the latest trends and technologies while networking with our peers at other companies.

In and Out

I have been working at Rauxa full-time (less than a year)

Pros

-Nice offices
    -There are actually some decent people left in the world

Cons

All of what the negative reviews say are true. Perhaps I wasn't "Rauxan" material. Still, I got to meet some good people who felt the way I felt. Least I know I wasn't alone.

A snake pit...

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Rauxa

Pros

Not much really... Nice office. Free coffee.

Cons

Back stabbing. Finger pointing. Cut throat co-workers. Upper management treat workers like dogs. Overall snake pit...

Treat staff like people, not cattle going to slaughter... Be truthful and transparent.

Fabulous company, great work life balance

I have been working at Rauxa full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

work-life balance
    smart people
    opportunities to play different roles

Cons

small company
    need for more structure around process and resourcing

Not for the faint of heart. But jobs that pay well usually aren't.

I worked at Rauxa full-time

Pros

1. Good pay - especially for the OC

2. Fun work culture

3. If you are a female, and just starting out, a great place to make life long friends

4. Some (not all) managers will give you the freedom to do your own thing - if you can prove to them you don't need your hand held

5. Cool office

6. Lots of client interaction, even for younger people which is great for future growth

7. Trying to move towards digital, away from DM which is a smart play for the future

8. Most of the departments feel like their working towards a common goal

9. They promote internally, and give regular raises

10. See # 1. Then look at it again.

Cons

1. Ever wondered what a sorority house filled with the cast of "Mean Girls" might be like? You've come to the right place.

2. People here would rather smile to your face and stab you in the back, then just come out and say what their problem is. Or work together to fix the problem. By far most passive aggressive place I've ever seen.

3. Management believes everyone is replaceable, and usually at a lower rate. Worse, they'll tell you what a "Rauxastar" you are to your face - while looking for your replacement.

4. Rauxa is known as the agency that brings you coffee. And that's a great way of keeping SOME clients happy (or at least amused). However, wouldn't you rather work for a company know for bringing smart ideas/solutions? I know for a fact some clients actually mock Rauxa for the whole coffee thing.

5. Expanding on the above, Rauxa was created in the image of the owner. She was a print sales person who never takes no for answer. She's a genuine force to be reckoned with. And you've got to respect what she's built. But she knows less about traditional or digital advertising then she thinks, and it can make for some VERY awkward meetings with high-level clients.

6. There is a strong disconnect between what Rauxa THINKS they are (world-class, full service ad agency with strong digital skills) and what they ACTUALLY are (Very solid Direct Mail/Email shop with powerful Data/Analytics chops).

7. Rauxa Digital is a mess. It's shot gun marriage with a back-end Digital shop up in SF that looks at Rauxa as a client (or a way to gain more clients), than an actual part of the Rauxa team. They are expensive, arrogant, and frankly not nearly as good as they think they are. They are VERY difficult to work with - from accounts, to production, to creative, to billing.

8. That whole work/life balance thing? Forget it. You best keep your cell on your nightstand - no matter what department you work for.

9. It will seem like the clients are very demanding at first. Until you realize, they've pretty much been told Rauxa will do ANYTHING at any hour for them. It's seen as a badge of pride, and pretty much encourages clients to abuse the lower level people that actually do the work.

10. Yes, Rauxa asked Jr. level people to write positive reviews. I'm sorry, but it's a fact. And frankly, that's pretty gross.

See Pro #1? It can make you accept all the Cons. And that's ok - as long as you have your eyes wide open.

Think beyond yourself. Genuinely care about people. Actions speak louder than words. Confront problems with the same zeal you chase business.

Great mid-size agency... with growing pains

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Costa Mesa, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Costa Mesa, CA

I have been working at Rauxa full-time (more than a year)

Pros

As a current employee at Rauxa, I thought it was important to voice my perspective and feedback related to the company as it’s slightly different from some of the most recent reviews.

Rauxa has a bright future ahead. There's been a lot of strategic hires, new client wins and emphasis on elevating company culture. Rauxa is on cusp of change. With any change, comes a lot of internal challenges and push back. There's a bit of growing pains, but I'm confident it's all for the greater good.

Great team. I've been at Rauxa for about a year and I've been constantly impressed by the people I've met. Not only are they experts in their field, but they are great to work with on a daily basis.

Entrepreneurial mindset. Since Rauxa is independently owned, that independent spirit lives within the people here. There is a bit of a "roll-up-your-sleeves and jump in" mentality, but I definitely feel empowered to voice my opinion and share ideas.

Cons

There needs to be better integration - culturally and operationally - with the digital arm. We feel like two separate companies with two separate leaders.

Career Development. While I feel there are a lot of opportunities to grow and progress with Rauxa, I'd like to receive more formalized training and educational opportunities that can be applied at Rauxa and beyond.

Make yourself more available to your employees. Personally, I love working with our leaders, but schedules and client work get in the way of valuable face-to-face interaction.

All the BAD REVIEWS are TRUE. You have been warned.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Rauxa full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Office is nice, a few genuine people (a very few)

Cons

Late hours, shady management, low morale, set up for failure at the start

My director manager was probably the worst manager I have ever had in my 10+ years in the agency world. Instead of blaming employees, why not look at those that are in VP or C-level roles, first? Problems always trickle down from the top and this place is a perfect example of that.

Also, stop saying yes to everything - especially when you can't deliver it. It just makes you look bad and clients are not stupid.

Also, I experienced certain clients being allowed to share space in the NYC office which lead to many uncomfortable situations not only for that client team but for other Rauxa employees who had to bow down to, give up conference room space to, and deal with daily disruptions from this client. And upper management just turned the other cheek.

Bad, bad, bad all around.

Believe the reviews, I should have!

Rauxa is great on the surface, but somewhat of a mess internally

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Costa Mesa, CA

I worked at Rauxa full-time (more than a year)

Pros

-Rauxa is a super fun work environment.
    -Teams work well together
    -Very good at satisfying client needs.
    -Produce great work

Cons

-Behind the scenes is a mess.
    -Big disconnect between senior management and other employees.
    -on-boarding process is poor.
    -Don't value employees enough.
    -Pay is not great.
    -Not a great place to develop skills
    -Always making temporary fixes instead of looking at the big picture
    -Not run like a typical agency

Best place to work in my career

Current Employee - Tech in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Tech in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Rauxa full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Honestly, its difficult to find a place that has not only good work but great people. I can't say enough about the people. Most days, it doesn't feel like work.

Cons

The Rauxa acquisition has been challenging as their culture is very different from ours. I hope they take the time to learn what we do because its something unique.

Don't lose what's great about ThoughtMatrix culture with the Rauxa integration. It's something that everyone who works here treasures. The Rah-rah culture of Rauxa comes with something difficult to deal with - as seen by their reviews - a lack of respect for talent and culture - and life/work balance. Those make us stand out, and I hope we don't lose it.

Run by bossy bitchy money hungry women

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Costa Mesa, CA

I worked at Rauxa full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

salaries were very generous and I got great annual bonuses (10% of salary) around christmas time. Generous with profit sharing.

Cons

worked long, stressful, demanding hours. Don't care about your work/personal life balance. Many women suffered infertility problems due to extremely high stress levels.