Rauxa Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
1.8
Jill Gwaltney

Pros
  • Relaxed and flexible work environment (in 7 reviews)

• Great people, very entrepreneurial, great variety of work across many technologies (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Any semblance of work/life balance is non-existent (in 6 reviews)

• You either do things in a very specific way dictated by upper management or you will be chastised (in 9 reviews)

Terrible for digital, not a bad place for junior people wanting to learn marketing and print

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Rauxa (More than a year)

Pros

They hire junior people so not a bad place if you don't have much experience. The San Francisco office is falling apart, so there are opportunities to start somewhat from the ground up and develop new processes.

Cons

Absolutely no growth path for any department except for Account Management. Culture of frustration, secrets and lies. Lots of recent layoffs cause a lot of suspicion and fear. No appreciation of digital scope of work, real project management processes or saying no to clients. The CEO and President are only about the bottom line and sales, and not supportive of most of the staff, unless you are a golden favorite. Account Department is favored and coddled, and they actually refer to themselves as Sorority Row. It's an apt description. If this sounds fun to you, you might actually enjoy working here.

Advice to Management

It's not about a false culture of fun. Consider your employees to be professional and respect their expertise, without only driving sales at the expense of quality work or your employees personal lives.

Completely Inept

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Great pay and benefits. Good client list.

Cons

A direct agency that bought a digital agency and then completely dissolved it. Pretends to be a large agency that does everything, but doesn't really know much about anything. Places unrealistic demands on the employees it treats like cattle.

Advice to Management

Get back in your lane. Direct is what you know, and you should stick to it. Also, respect and treat your employees better - they make you what you are.

You will regret working here

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Rauxa full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working at ThoughtMatrix was a dream.

Cons

Rauxa came in two years ago and destroyed the culture, spirit, and chased off the long-time skilled technical folks.

Advice to Management

Traditional print ad agency does not equal technology company. Yes, Jill and Gina, we understand that you can make major changes to ad copy and designs the night before sending to the printer, but it doesn't work the same way for complex technical projects--results in introduction of defects and dissatisfied clients. Please let the digital team do their work. They really do know what they're doing!

Disintegrating

Current Employee - Delivery in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Delivery in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Rauxa full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The innocent people who work there and the friendships I have formed. The view is nice. The location is convenient. Interesting clients.

Cons

The vibe is dreary. Poor decision making by upper mgmt. Not a place for the high tech, high level anymore. More of a junior environment. Things changed after acquisition. Not family friendly, non existent work / life balance.

Advice to Management

Stop the company surveys until you can actually put some feedback action items into place. Think before making decisions that confuse people and cause concern. Help inspire those of us still here by helping us believe there is a future. Try to turn this culture around so it is perceived as professional and people want to stay.

6. Good Company, Good Work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Rauxa full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people, very entrepreneurial, great variety of work across many technologies. I love the ability to work virtually and come into the office for client and team meetings when necessary.

Cons

Business is very cyclic. Super busy one month, trying to find things to do the next. It becomes difficult to become a master in a new technology without a steady supply of projects that utilize it.

Advice to Management

Spend more time creating a stable pipeline of work. If possible, send more employees to training and conferences so we can stay up on the latest trends and technologies while networking with our peers at other companies.

7. Best place to work in my career

Current Employee - Tech in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Tech in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Rauxa full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Honestly, its difficult to find a place that has not only good work but great people. I can't say enough about the people. Most days, it doesn't feel like work.

Cons

The Rauxa acquisition has been challenging as their culture is very different from ours. I hope they take the time to learn what we do because its something unique.

Advice to Management

Don't lose what's great about ThoughtMatrix culture with the Rauxa integration. It's something that everyone who works here treasures. The Rah-rah culture of Rauxa comes with something difficult to deal with - as seen by their reviews - a lack of respect for talent and culture - and life/work balance. Those make us stand out, and I hope we don't lose it.

8. Great company to work

Current Employee - Senior Web Developer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Web Developer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Rauxa full-time

Pros

High level engineers, huge in-house experience The culture is amazing, people are always friendly and ready to help Management is good Upper management does it's best to keep employees proud of themselves and the company Flexible work environment, remote work is allowed. Great office and location.

Cons

Few people in the creative team don't fully understand web development process, thus complicating the work of the developer.

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to how the creative team works.

9. other agencies should take note

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Rauxa full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

ThoughtMatrix puts the client experience first, in the best way, by doing what's right for their clients instead of just what their clients ask for. These people are incredibly intelligent and focused on the long view, instead of making a buck by just designing something cool. Everyone is senior-level, so the process is very ironed out. You'll spend your time working on actual work instead of working around messy agency mis-steps.

Cons

Didn't have any negative experiences.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing.

Pure Bliss

I have been working at Rauxa full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Beautiful impressive work flies off the shelves at ThoughtMatrix. We are FAST and clients know we are not cheap but they get what they pay for and more. Our client base is by reputation and we have so much work coming in non-stop that I'm sure our recruiting dept will soon even be growing. Now that some of the disgruntled (as is typical in companies post recession) have moved on and integration with Rauxa is going smooth, the company has a fresh exciting feel. The culture continues to be hands off - get it done and you will be left alone but get together once or twice a month to play and party. If you prefer to work in the office - it is a top floor luxury situation where you can "hotel in" as often as you like, with your sweet laptop and also enjoy a rooftop garden. The partners Tony Rems, Trevor Fagerskog and Carl Agers are all cool people and hyper brilliant. An inspiration for sure.

Cons

Too much candy in the office. And, I'm being serious.

Advice to Management

Just breathe and trust we are the best. Anxiety over "what ifs" is a waste of time.

Great Company if You are Independent and Self-Guided

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Rauxa full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Remote work encouraged, highly intelligent staff, competent management team, interesting projects, in San Francisco, fun company culture, very nice people.

Cons

Grim building, leadership team = working managers so not very proactive with basic HR processes.

Advice to Management

Hold more reviews and 1-on-1 sessions with staff even on an informal basis.

RSS Feed </> Embed