Rauxa

www.rauxa.com

Rauxa Reviews in San Francisco, CA

Updated May 21, 2014

Jill Gwaltney

Pros
  • Rauxa is a super fun work environment (in 7 reviews)

• Smart and hardworking group of people (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Any semblance of work/life balance is non-existent (in 5 reviews)

• You either do things in a very specific way dictated by upper management or you will be chastised (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights
8 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Several changes since the acquisition

Creative Director (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsThe management team at ThoughtMatrix are very good people. They have a better understanding of the technology landscape than most agencies, and have adapted the lean agile process to work within an agency environment.

ConsI was there during the growth and acquisition phase of the company. I left because I felt the acquiring company was a cultural mismatch, and the focus on direct/email was less interesting than the previous work.

Good Company, Good Work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsGreat people, very entrepreneurial, great variety of work across many technologies. I love the ability to work virtually and come into the office for client and team meetings when necessary.

ConsBusiness is very cyclic. Super busy one month, trying to find things to do the next. It becomes difficult to become a master in a new technology without a steady supply of projects that utilize it.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend more time creating a stable pipeline of work. If possible, send more employees to training and conferences so we can stay up on the latest trends and technologies while networking with our peers at other companies.

Best place to work in my career

Tech (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsHonestly, its difficult to find a place that has not only good work but great people. I can't say enough about the people. Most days, it doesn't feel like work.

ConsThe Rauxa acquisition has been challenging as their culture is very different from ours. I hope they take the time to learn what we do because its something unique.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't lose what's great about ThoughtMatrix culture with the Rauxa integration. It's something that everyone who works here treasures. The Rah-rah culture of Rauxa comes with something difficult to deal with - as seen by their reviews - a lack of respect for talent and culture - and life/work balance. Those make us stand out, and I hope we don't lose it.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company to work

Senior Web Developer (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsHigh level engineers, huge in-house experience
    The culture is amazing, people are always friendly and ready to help
    Management is good
    Upper management does it's best to keep employees proud of themselves and the company
    Flexible work environment, remote work is allowed.
    Great office and location.

ConsFew people in the creative team don't fully understand web development process, thus complicating the work of the developer.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more attention to how the creative team works.

other agencies should take note

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsThoughtMatrix puts the client experience first, in the best way, by doing what's right for their clients instead of just what their clients ask for. These people are incredibly intelligent and focused on the long view, instead of making a buck by just designing something cool. Everyone is senior-level, so the process is very ironed out. You'll spend your time working on actual work instead of working around messy agency mis-steps.

ConsDidn't have any negative experiences.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing.

Pure Bliss

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsBeautiful impressive work flies off the shelves at ThoughtMatrix. We are FAST and clients know we are not cheap but they get what they pay for and more. Our client base is by reputation and we have so much work coming in non-stop that I'm sure our recruiting dept will soon even be growing. Now that some of the disgruntled (as is typical in companies post recession) have moved on and integration with Rauxa is going smooth, the company has a fresh exciting feel. The culture continues to be hands off - get it done and you will be left alone but get together once or twice a month to play and party. If you prefer to work in the office - it is a top floor luxury situation where you can "hotel in" as often as you like, with your sweet laptop and also enjoy a rooftop garden. The partners Tony Rems, Trevor Fagerskog and Carl Agers are all cool people and hyper brilliant. An inspiration for sure.

ConsToo much candy in the office. And, I'm being serious.

Advice to Senior ManagementJust breathe and trust we are the best. Anxiety over "what ifs" is a waste of time.

Great Company if You are Independent and Self-Guided

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsRemote work encouraged, highly intelligent staff, competent management team, interesting projects, in San Francisco, fun company culture, very nice people.

ConsGrim building, leadership team = working managers so not very proactive with basic HR processes.

Advice to Senior ManagementHold more reviews and 1-on-1 sessions with staff even on an informal basis.

Smart people, but challenged by growth and other issues

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsFast growing technology consultancy, which does a great job of finding smart, capable people to work on projects. The owners run a tight ship and have their sights set on growth. Despite their ambitions, they pay a little more than lip service to the contrary goal of providing a family-friendly work atmosphere. The most valuable perk they provide towards family-friendliness is a flexible work environment, where the majority of team members choose to work from home.

Business development and marketing have been made a higher priority in recent years.

ConsThe company is plagued by issues typical of small tech consultancies. There is always the need to find the next client or project to cover the ever-increasing payroll. The work is not steady – it is either feast or famine. This often means working weekends one week, and having little to do the next. The company has issues with scheduling and communication – some may be vastly overworked, while another with the same skill set is underworked.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should consider alternative revenue sources by spinning out certain initiatives into products, and place product engineers on these initiatives full time.

Worked for Rauxa? Contribute to the Community!