Raven Industries

Updated October 4, 2014
2.8

Raven Industries President and CEO Daniel A. Rykhus
Daniel A. Rykhus

Getting too political NOT the Company that it used to be

I have been working at Raven Industries full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Decent pay and benefits for the area.

Cons

Company does not reward loyalty or hard work, little room for advancement, politics involved in all decisions.
    People close to executives, or relatives/church buddies are given raises and are promoted quickly even if not qualified.
    New management does not follow what it preaches. Can't make decisions on product direction.
    Currently have a reputation for manufacturing outdated products. New products are released before they are ready for market.

Below average company

I worked at Raven Industries full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Their benefits are at par with other companies in the area. They have free gym and if you know the right people, you get to have lavish lunch, iPhone and accessories. There are some really nice and smart people you can learn from and then move to a better company. It's a company that will push you to a better job after couple years

Cons

The company is a regular manufacturing company and falsely believes they are a technology company. Even their information technology department is 2-3 years behind today's technology. People close to executives, or from a specific local college, or relatives/church buddies are given fat raises for doing little to nothing and are promoted quickly even if they have made losses in the company and to customers. Their motto is to solve great challenges. Most times they screw up, fix their screw up and claim they solved a great challenge. It's just so fake.

Company should stop saying they protect the world or feed the world. They make tons of plastic every month that does not degrade. And stop filling up the landfill with crap. Their equipment specializes in spraying harmful chemicals in the ground. Crops resulting from their work go less towards healthy foods and more towards making people fat and increasing green house gases. Please stop the constant faking.

Management talks about grand things and barely ever follows what they preach. Stop lavish expenses. You are NOT google or apple. Pay attention to loyal and smart people that you have largely ignored. Use common sense. Employ more women engineers and add cultural diversity to your top level. It's an all-Caucasian male dominated company today. Remove yes-men/women from office, including church buddies and relatives. Begin to listen to views different from yours. Accept your mistakes. Raven is no longer the company it used to be. And that's your fault.

Disappointed

I worked at Raven Industries full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

great co workers and friendships made, company willing to spend money, ability to get training and equipment, great place to get experience and move on

Cons

Company doesnt reward loyalty or hard work, little room for advancement, politics involved in all decisions, management rhetoric not followed by themselves

If you want growth or anything other than a paycheck, stay away

Former Employee - Line Worker in Earth City, MO
    Former Employee - Line Worker in Earth City, MO

I worked at Raven Industries full-time (more than an year)

Pros

"Steady pay". A place to help you pay some of your bills if you're in need a pay check, in which we all are.

Cons

Notorious for lay offs. No room for growth. The security of your job is determined by management's ability to secure contracts in an era of business where people are outsourcing their work over seas.

I'm honestly not sure if this company needs the departments that they currently have "management" in. There are two and three person departments that can be consolidated under one manager, but they will ignore that and will lay off an entire shift of individuals on the manufacturing floor instead.

Great company

I have been working at Raven Industries

Pros

The people of the company are the best. They make you want to work harder.

Cons

not many cons at all, maybe just to update some facilities

none

A Company Solving Great Challenges

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sioux Falls, SD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sioux Falls, SD

I have been working at Raven Industries full-time

Pros

I work for a company that solves great challenges in areas of feeding the world, saving lives, and protecting the environment. That's a purpose I can get behind! We also have a Young Professionals Network to network, volunteer, and expand our skills.

Cons

The fast pace can become overwhelming. Currently have a reputation for manufacturing outdated products instead of technology innovations that we're currently producing.

Hire additional people to even the work load. We have a great story to tell and need to get it out more to attract great talent.

too political

Current Employee - Manufacturing Technician in Sioux Falls, SD

I have been working at Raven Industries full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Decent pay and benefits some new management trying
     to make things better

Cons

knowing how to do your job, doing a great job and always being on your job including overtime means nothing with this company, just depends on who's pocket you are in, company will do well until they get competition then all the waste will drive them down will not be able to compete

Need to do something about lower management they do not know the job that their operators are supposed to be doing expect techs to take care of everything including training

The job is easy but most co workers are hard to get along with in EFD.

Current Employee - Operator I in Sioux Falls, SD
    Current Employee - Operator I in Sioux Falls, SD

I have been working at Raven Industries full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The pay is great and the benefits are pretty decent the work is pretty easy.

Cons

Political atmosphere
    Long time employees are hostile to new employees for fear of being surpassed

New employees do not feel that what they have to say or suggest is heard. The company could save literally a few million dollars if they got took new ideas seriously and worked hard to determine if they are good options.

Top notch progressive company that cares about its employees

Current Employee - Manager in Sioux Falls, SD
    Current Employee - Manager in Sioux Falls, SD

I have been working at Raven Industries full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

On site fitness center, interesting work.

Cons

None. I enjoy working here and enjoy my co-workers.

Great place to work for community involvement

Current Employee - Manufacturing Technician in Sioux Falls, SD

I have been working at Raven Industries full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Flexible working hours
    -Easy time off approvals
    -Always striving to improve work culture
    -Many opportunities for volunteering and giving back to teh community

Cons

-Regularly lack communication
    -Old habits die hard

Raven Industries Photos