Raven Industries Reviews

Reset
2.5
Raven Industries President and CEO Daniel A. Rykhus
Daniel A. Rykhus

Top notch progressive company that cares about its employees

Current Employee - Manager in Sioux Falls, SD
    Current Employee - Manager in Sioux Falls, SD

I have been working at Raven Industries full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

On site fitness center, interesting work.

Cons

None. I enjoy working here and enjoy my co-workers.

2. A Company Solving Great Challenges

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sioux Falls, SD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sioux Falls, SD

I have been working at Raven Industries full-time

Pros

I work for a company that solves great challenges in areas of feeding the world, saving lives, and protecting the environment. That's a purpose I can get behind! We also have a Young Professionals Network to network, volunteer, and expand our skills.

Cons

The fast pace can become overwhelming. Currently have a reputation for manufacturing outdated products instead of technology innovations that we're currently producing.

Advice to Management

Hire additional people to even the work load. We have a great story to tell and need to get it out more to attract great talent.

3. Great company

I have been working at Raven Industries

Pros

The people of the company are the best. They make you want to work harder.

Cons

not many cons at all, maybe just to update some facilities

Advice to Management

none

5. One of Sioux Fall's best

I have been working at Raven Industries

Pros

Top notch organization. The benefits that are offered are very competitive within the Sioux Falls market and in most cases less expensive than a majority of SF employers. Competitive in terms of salary. Generous in terms of policies and procedures. Exciting in terms of the products we produce. Relaxed and extremely open, friendly environment. I love it!!

Cons

I believe the Leaders at Raven have the best intentions but have a difficult time executing. Raven is not the "technology" company they claim to be but I believe they are trying to move in that direction. Raven may be notorious for "lay-offs" but in reality, it's temporary employees whose assignment has ended. The biggest draw back might be the cyclical nature of the business. But in reality isn't this true of many manufacturing companies, that to single Raven out would not be fair.

Advice to Management

Dan and his team of leaders need to be one step ahead. Where are the creative minds that will take Raven to the next level. Stop waiting....take a leap of faith.....become the industry leader that you claim us to be.

Progressive, people oriented company.

Current Employee - Applications Technician in Sioux Falls, SD
    Current Employee - Applications Technician in Sioux Falls, SD

I have been working at Raven Industries

Pros

Room for advancement, most people are nice. Not hounding or demanding, some freedoms are given as long as you are productive.

Cons

Large company so you must deal with the beuocracy associated with it. Some people do not fit in and very rarely does an employee get the boot.

Advice to Management

Really need to act quicker to solve problems and respond to customer demands, too many things get caught in limbo for too long.

7. Great place to work for community involvement

Current Employee - Manufacturing Technician in Sioux Falls, SD
    Current Employee - Manufacturing Technician in Sioux Falls, SD

I have been working at Raven Industries full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Flexible working hours -Easy time off approvals -Always striving to improve work culture -Many opportunities for volunteering and giving back to teh community

Cons

-Regularly lack communication -Old habits die hard

8. Dynamic company with leadership that values employees

I worked at Raven Industries

Pros

Raven's leadership believes that great talent leads to great results. It believes when the community sees the company as an outstanding place to work, people will stay longer and openings will be flooded with applicants. This philosophy created a positive work environment.

Cons

The vision of the leadership on how to treat people was great, but it was difficult for that to trickle down through all levels of management and to all divisions. Not all supervisors and managers bought-in to the vision, but overall it was embraced.

Advice to Management

Continue to train managers and supervisors in the leadership ideas promoted throughout the organization.

9. Getting too political NOT the Company that it used to be

I have been working at Raven Industries full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Decent pay and benefits for the area.

Cons

Company does not reward loyalty or hard work, little room for advancement, politics involved in all decisions. People close to executives, or relatives/church buddies are given raises and are promoted quickly even if not qualified. New management does not follow what it preaches. Can't make decisions on product direction. Currently have a reputation for manufacturing outdated products. New products are released before they are ready for market.

10. Fair

I have been working at Raven Industries full-time

Pros

Raven can be a fairly vibrant place to work. It depends, though. Raven has three divisions (currently, at least, because it used to be four), and they all operate basically like separate companies. I work for a remote site, so it's hard to speak to the culture at headquarters in Sioux Falls. All I can say is your experience will differ depending on where you find yourself. It's worth mentioning that Raven has never skipped a merit increase while I've been here, even though our year-to-year performance is dropping, and belts are being tightened. This could be considered a pro or con, but, even though work can be fast-paced at Raven, I think the people are pretty laid back and down-to-earth. Of course, there are always bad apples, but I think overall the people don't take themselves too terribly seriously, and I mean that as a compliment. Also, the work/life balance is good.

Cons

First of all, the remote site where I work is being shuttered. So Raven is not doing well financially right now. Also, the vast majority of employees work at headquarters. This is probably common, but I would not highly recommend working at a remote site. All the glam and glory is at headquarters. You see on the inter-company video monitors how they are remodeling and moving into new spaces and hiring in Sioux Falls, while at your site, it's kind of an eyesore, there's little-to-no remodeling and upkeep, and for the past couple years, we have lost people and not replaced them. Also, I don't think training and continuing education is too good at Raven. Now, it *seems* like it might be better at headquarters, but that's just a general impression. But from my end, not a lot of opportunities for growth and cross training. That is all up to you on your own time, in a way. Also, I could be biased from my former employer, but I don't think the benefits are very good at Raven. In my case, they pay 78% of my health insurance premiums, and I have heard of other companies paying a lot more than that. Also, I'm not sure the health insurance options are top notch to begin with, but they're not bad, either. But coverage is not that good overall, considering vision and dental.

11. Engineering is under appreciated

Current Employee - Engineer in Sioux Falls, SD
    Current Employee - Engineer in Sioux Falls, SD

I have been working at Raven Industries full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Co-workers are intelligent, friendly, and easy to work with. They are by far the best thing about the company.

Cons

Upper management is paralyzed by the decision making process. No one wants to take responsibility for bad decisions so they avoid making them at all costs. Advancement opportunities into management and upper management only come to those who speak the loudest, regardless of qualification. Upper management also has no idea how engineering works, making it incredibly undervalued.

Advice to Management

Learn about and appreciate the aspects of engineering and the people that work in the field. They are the creators of your products. They deserve bonuses upon successful sales of products just as much if not more than the sales and marketing team.

RSS Feed </> Embed