Raven Industries Reviews

Raven Industries President and CEO Daniel A. Rykhus
Daniel A. Rykhus

Deteriorated, broken company

I have been working at Raven Industries full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Raven has better benefits in the Sioux Falls area, where they are headquartered, as compared to other companies in town.

Cons

Leadership is severely lacking - from CEO to lower management. They say one thing and do another. Massive failures are buried under false propaganda of "success".

Friends of management can be promoted from technician to director whereas smart, effective directors and executives can be demoted to irrelevance. Watch your back everyday.

Layoffs happen every few months because management constantly makes costly mistakes. Newly acquired businesses are shut down. They appear to hide all of that to avoid negative publicity and publish big pages in local newspaper when they do somewhat okay in sales. Lot of fakeness surrounds this broken company.

Quality does not appear important in this company. Most products are already behind competition. They can't play catchup because intelligent people are leaving fast.

They produce so much plastic! For years they have been throwing plastic in the landfill. Now they have recycling system that helps, but just think - all this plastic they make is generally thrown away or put in/on the land. Your 10th generation will find it when they dig their yard to plant vegetables.

Choose this company only if you have no other place to work.

Advice to Management

Management is incorrigible. The board must come to its senses and relieve entire top management and majority of directors over the next 2 years. Bring an experienced CEO who is in touch with reality and has guts to accept mistakes.

Simplify your products. Get away from the plastic business. Sell off the balloon division and begin investing some of your core technology in renewable energy, data science and tools that expand farming rather than just helping the existing farms. Think outside the box. You guys have so little innovative thinking, management!

Be truthful. Have the guts to admit your numerous mistakes. Apologize to the people you so ruthlessly layed off due to your failures.

2. Better than unemployment?

I have been working at Raven Industries

Pros

Great place to coast out till retirement. Casual, easy, never really felt challenged. Some good travel opportunities. Products are. ..interesting. some nice coworkers.

Cons

This is a company not solving great challenges. CEO and chain of managment downward are superficial to their employees. Strategy seems severely flawed particularly for the company RAVEN is (Take a look at last year's stock performance). Leadership focused on profits while laying people off during the holidays. IMHO , doesn't have technical capabilities to go places.

3. Disappointed

I worked at Raven Industries full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

great co workers and friendships made, company willing to spend money, ability to get training and equipment, great place to get experience and move on

Cons

Company doesnt reward loyalty or hard work, little room for advancement, politics involved in all decisions, management rhetoric not followed by themselves

5. too political

Current Employee - Manufacturing Technician in Sioux Falls, SD
    Current Employee - Manufacturing Technician in Sioux Falls, SD

I have been working at Raven Industries full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Decent pay and benefits some new management trying
     to make things better

Cons

knowing how to do your job, doing a great job and always being on your job including overtime means nothing with this company, just depends on who's pocket you are in, company will do well until they get competition then all the waste will drive them down will not be able to compete

Advice to Management

Need to do something about lower management they do not know the job that their operators are supposed to be doing expect techs to take care of everything including training

6. Review

Current Employee - Production in Sioux Falls, SD
    Current Employee - Production in Sioux Falls, SD

I have been working at Raven Industries

Pros

If you are about to retire, this is the company for you.There is not a lot opportunity due to the fact of it being a company that is already matured. Company values experience, over skills.

Cons

Company doesn't follow it's open door policy. Command hierarchy, makes it difficult to advance in career. Very "Political" company, since they tend not to live up to their promises.

Advice to Management

management anonymous review.

7. Operator I - Large Machines

Current Employee - Operator I in Sioux Falls, SD
    Current Employee - Operator I in Sioux Falls, SD

I have been working at Raven Industries full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Quite honestly if you are looking for a job to show up, do the minimum required, and get paid really well for it, then this IS the job for you. Raven pays a minimum of $15/hr for this position if you work days and $17.10/hr minimum for nights. The job is moderately intensive at times but I would never say it is very hard on the body. Most of it is learning how to adjust each machine to do what you want it to do and that comes with on the job training.

Cons

On the "flip side" if you are looking for a job that will mentally challenge you, provide opportunities for advancement and professional growth, promote for hard work over "sucking up" to the boss, or anything above and beyond the call of duty then this job or company is NOT for you.

I have been working for Raven quite awhile now (more than 5 years). In the past two years alone I have been exceedingly frustrated with not being able to advance in the company. I work hard and work well with others. I go above and beyond as much as I can because I was raised to show up on time and do the best you can at any job you work at. I have tried everything from asking for special projects to offering to come in and train night shifts on new policies and procedures. All of this has been denied or ignored by management and I feel stuck and doomed to be a basic bottom level employee until I retire.

The benefits are not as cheap as they could be I believe and you do not have your choice in healthcare provider as they only work with Sanford Health Plan.

The stock has plummeted in the last couple years as well by nearly half of its high.

There used to be profit sharing, but that went away gradually when the management stated that we did not hit the profit goals despite having several record breaking months for sales and great cut backs in waste in the last couple years. Then to add insult to injury immediately after advising us that we were not getting profit sharing checks, hundreds of thousands of dollars were awarded in bonuses to the executive leadership of the company. After that, they are laying off a whole bunch of people and limiting opportunities to make more money within the company by way of overtime or staying late.

I personally have tried to save the company money and everytime I have suggested something it goes out the window it seems and no feedback is provided. I once calculated the amount a simple process change would make and it totaled over $30,000. That suggestion was submitted up and nothing seems to have even been considered with it. Now they have completely disabled the suggestion system for it seems half of the computers that we have available to do it.

The mission statement states that they want to "empower" employees to make decisions to further advance the company. (not exact wording). The problem is that it seems management is too focused on making themselves look good to their boss that they may think by listening to a bottom level employee might make them look bad in some way.

Recently the CEO and our VP had a "discussion" with us and asked us to voice our concerns with nothing "off-limits". While it is understandable the desire for this conversation, there is no way I or many of my peers would ever be candid like that in a "right-to-work" state. When I see co-workers getting fired for getting hurt off the job, or some being ran out the door because they got a shift manager mad, I am not about to poke the angry bear that has already bared its claws.

Advice to Management

Stop talking and start doing. A company's greatest asset is its EMPLOYEES. Use them for their actual worth and allow the bright and gifted to become the leaders they can be. Work with us low level guys and start providing feedback that will help the people actually pushing buttons to make the products. Start educating the low level management on how to actively engage and solicit opinion while making their employees feel safe to do so. Also please appoint a liaison from the lowest level to report to the highest levels. This would need to be VP on up. This will allow communication to not get "stuck" in the lower levels. Also if you can give out a bonus to the executive leadership then you should give everyone else a bonus as well. Maybe make it proportional on a level system?

Very poor and short-sighted decision making.

Former Employee - Assembly in Sioux Falls, SD
    Former Employee - Assembly in Sioux Falls, SD

I worked at Raven Industries full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the people I worked with became good friends. I learned some new skills, but after that training is done, there's nowhere else to go.

Cons

Almost everything else.
    The executive level of management is stuck in a rut of playing it save, which is failing them on a regular basis. The ATD brass claim to want to be a leading technology company in agriculture, but the rest of the world is passing them by. For example, why isn't drone tech being built into the offerings? They also let go of a lot of their R&D engineers during the latest wave of lay-offs. This was one of the most stupid things I've ever seen a large company do.
    They go over budget on making the HQ downtown pretty, but then screw the employees out of bonuses. The rooftop garden for the execs is where it went.

Several of the locations I worked were also emotionally toxic. Crabby people who do nothing but complain makes it hard to come into work every day.
    Training opportunities are rare, and promotion from within is nearly impossible. After working there four years, I was just over $12 an hour. Selling plasma gave me the gas money to get to the job that didn't cover my bills. I'm glad to be out of there.

Advice to Management

Get with the times and realize that you need to look past the current quarter. The people in the factories are the lifeblood of the company, and they feel like pieces of a machine. Treat them like intelligent adults and stop pandering with ridiculous elementary school level games at parties that are no fun to attend.

Was a great place to work until new CEO took over a few years back

I worked at Raven Industries full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great people, provided training opportunities, good benefits, fair pay

Cons

Excessive spending on remodeling corporate office,then laid off many employees utilizing the facility, implemented new initiatives in 2013-2014 that were not sustainable, company has strong cash position, but hasn't paid bonuses to employees because profit numbers were not met -- the hourly workers don't have control over profit projection and worked hard to meet production requirements.

Advice to Management

Walk the talk, the values of authenticity and integrity were lacking by senior leadership.

Not transparent

Former Employee - Machine Operator in Sioux Falls, SD
    Former Employee - Machine Operator in Sioux Falls, SD

I worked at Raven Industries

Pros

Starting pay is good. Work isn't terribly hard most times. There is a "hurry up and wait" attitude most of the time.

Cons

Leadership and upper management is not very clear with the goals or individuals or even the company.

Advice to Management

Talk with your employees. Don't just hold quarterly meetings to show sales numbers and stock info.

11. Used to be a great place to work.

I worked at Raven Industries full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Typical benefits package that is somewhat less expensive than average for the area.

Cons

Senior management is unprepared and unqualified for their positions. Lower level management is self serving and clique-y. Back stabbing and bad mouthing are standard procedure. Lay offs are common but done in such a way that it is never brought to the attention of the media. If you are over 40, watch out - there's a good chance you will be one that gets tapped for a lay off.

RSS Feed </> Embed