Raven Software

Brian Raffel & Steve Raffel

Great company shackled by the Call of Duty money machine

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Middleton, WI
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Middleton, WI

I worked at Raven Software full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fun and intelligent coworkers
    Management seems to care for their people
    Bonus structure
    Limited layoffs

Cons

Acceptable but not fantastic pay
    Mediocre benefits (medical, dental)
    No longer masters of their own destiny, forced to be a cog in the annualized Call of Duty money machine

If there is any way possible, get back to making your own games. Serving as an outsource studio for CoD content is soul crushing.

Best Gaming Company in the Midwest to work for!

Current Employee - Artist in Middleton, WI
    Current Employee - Artist in Middleton, WI

I have been working at Raven Software full-time (more than an year)

Pros

• Great People (Passionate about what they do)
    • Nice perks, benefits, facilities
    • Positive Culture (Raven's culture is open, rewarding, passionate, intelligent, engaging.
    • Competent IT staff and Human Resources

Cons

• Long hours. But this is true for most companies in the industry.
    • Company need's to write it's own path.

Keep an open communication with staff and let the employees do their job.

Talented team members, deficient leadership, stagnant project slate

I worked at Raven Software full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Madison is an excellent place for families, Midwest cost of living, HR is slowly making improvements with the studio culture, many exceptional employees, currently a part of the billion-dollars-a-year Call of Duty business unit

Cons

Senior leadership based largely on fear and nepotism, currently a part of the billion-dollars-a-year Call of Duty business unit

Sycophancy is a problem, not a solution

It has jumped my career leaps and bounds faster than I could have done anywhere else.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

I have been working at Raven Software

Pros

In Madison, I can own a house and have a commute less than 10 minutes. But that's not the main reason. The main reason is because my manager lets me do my job. He gives me plenty of opportunities to shine and to fail. He supports me thru both and helps me learn from the failures so they don't happen again. I have learned so much here. My resume is 100 times stronger because I have been here for 4+ years.

Cons

It's sometimes hard to work under a publisher. Activision gives us a lot of freedom, but they still hold the purse strings. It's that way almost everywhere though. My boss fights the hard battles and tries to keep things smooth for me so I can focus.

Continue to let people grow. The people here are hugely talented and can do amazing things for you - let them, push them, support them. This place is a classic game company that has changed with the times to ensure survival. That's no easy task. Hats off boys!

Great at times, but extremely poor senior management limits the company’s potential.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

I worked at Raven Software

Pros

The benefits are great, the people were fun, before lay-offs and the city is a perfect picture of middle America.

Cons

The senior management is awful and they have no idea how to run what was once a great game development studio.

The Studio VP surrounds himself with Yes-Men and encourages a high school click mentality. Activision should really consider new senior management.

Stable, but risk-averse culture that turns out quality, but cookie-cutter games that follow but don't lead the pack.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Middleton, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Middleton, WI

I worked at Raven Software

Pros

- Healthy pay and good all-around benefits from Activision
    - Middleton/Madison area is a great location to live in, family-freindly
    - Can be a fun place to work with cool and talented colleagues, which helps make the long hours crunching at the office more palatable

Cons

- Not the most fulfilling place for creative people who thrive on change and challenge
    - Management too focused on preserving the status-quo instead of rewarding performance or innovation
    - The work itself is not terribly exciting or motivating, because the games you work on are not terribly exciting or groundbreaking, and the general direction has a habit of following whatever currently 'hot' feature or gimmick in the latest game is.

- This is a company that's lost the confidence it once had as one of the premiere developers, no longer willing to take risks on new ideas, technology, or gameplay necessary to create the kind of first-rate titles that set the bar for everyone else. A part of this may not be entirely self-inflicted, but could be the result of excessive money-pinching and short-term focus imposed by their Activision overlords.

This company still has potential. You can rise up to the occasion by once again embracing risk and the creative spirit necessary to make amazing games, or continue to slowly simmer until you fade out into obscurity.

Excellent Place to work

Former Employee - Sound Designer in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Sound Designer in Madison, WI

I worked at Raven Software

Pros

I was impressed and excited to come to work each day. The coworkers were talented and excellent. The work stimulating. Management really seems to care and know everyone that works at this medium sized company.

Cons

Communication on projects could have been a little better. Frequently a small group of people would be working on changes and the rest of the group on the project might not know about it until finding the change that is already in game. That's my only complaint and a very small one in the grand scheme of things.

Management was doing an excellent job trying to keep work/life balance healthy. Work on communication some, but doing a fantastic job overall.