Rawlings Group Reviews

• Part-time
Employment Status

Reset
George Rawlings

lead through fear from upper management

Former Employee - Subrogation Analyst in La Grange, KY
    Former Employee - Subrogation Analyst in La Grange, KY

I worked at Rawlings Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good money, interesting work, good benefits and travel.

Cons

Not much room to move up, micro-managed, over worked, constantly change in policy, negative atmosphere

Advice to Management

Let the workers do their job without getting in the way more than necessary, promote more within, address employee morale, allow for cross training and more promotions.

2. Claims Auditor

Current Employee - COB Auditor in Lagrange, KY
    Current Employee - COB Auditor in Lagrange, KY

I have been working at Rawlings Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Competitive salary and commission, flexible time off

Cons

Little room for career advancement, no departmental authority to make decisions

Advice to Management

As the company grows, the small company mentality must be replaced with a larger company mindset.

3. Developer

Current Employee - Developer in Lagrange, KY
    Current Employee - Developer in Lagrange, KY

I have been working at Rawlings Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I think most of the negative reviews below are for employees paid on commission. Working here as a developer has been a great. There is no one looking over my shoulder or office politics. Show up, do your work and go home. Never work past 5:00 or on weekends.

Cons

There are no nerf guns or mandatory ping pong tournaments but that works for me. If I am not going to be working I want to decide what I do with my time.

Advice to Management

I have had two managers here at Rawlings and enjoyed working for both of them. Otherwise, wearing jeans one week and the Rawlings version of business casual the next week is annoying.

5. I should have never applied in the first place

Former Employee - Subrogation Analyst
    Former Employee - Subrogation Analyst

I worked at Rawlings Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

1. The building is a corporate castle. 2. Their training is very thorough. 3. You get inundated by Fox News throughout all the break areas. There's nothing quite like watching leggy blonds discuss family values on TV every time you get a soda....

Cons

I left a job I enjoyed because the Rawlings Company offers better pay. However, they did not clearly express when I interviewed that the big bonus money comes from negotiating (arguing) with plaintiff's attorneys all day. Pure and simple. If you don't like arguing with attorneys for a living, don't take this job. Also, they go after all the money they can within the bounds of the law. Morality and mercy do NOT play a role here. They argue that what they do keeps health insurance costs down. This is likely true, but they likely also drive car insurance rates up. I was lied to on more than one occasion from the top of the company. I was told by HR, trainers, team leads, etc., that it takes about 12 months to really understand the job and do it well. Then, by my fifth month of employment, I was told that I should be up to speed within just six months. Also, Rawlings recently took on a new client and encouraged us to work weekends by seducing us with "low hanging fruit," only to have that bonus money taken away from us at the last moment. To sum up -- don't apply at this company unless you can be cutthroat and negotiate with attorneys all day.

Advice to Management

Don't hire people unless you really want to keep them. Employees make huge sacrifices and risks to leave their former employers, drive all the way to LaGrange from Louisville, and work extra hours so they can work at Rawlings. To hire a training class full of people expecting to get rid of more than 50% of them isn't ethical.

6. Worst work culture. Look away.

Former Employee - Software Developer in La Grange, KY
    Former Employee - Software Developer in La Grange, KY

I worked at Rawlings Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Gym, nice location, large campus, growing
    Great pay.

Cons

As a developer, this is the worst place to work.
    You can never work remotely. Even if you are sick and contagious, please come in and get everyone else sick.
    Management treat developers like the other cows, not realizing that the economy today is dependent on nurturing the few that this country does have.

Advice to Management

If you want good developers, learn to treat them better.

7. Growing company without growing salaries.

Current Employee - Health Care Claims Auditor in Lagrange, KY
    Current Employee - Health Care Claims Auditor in Lagrange, KY

I have been working at Rawlings Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Professional people. Management is fair and professional. Opportunities to advance exist. Company is really growing.

Cons

Below average salary. Below average vacation and sick days. Very long commute. Car pooling almost necessary.

Great company if you like to be micromanaged

Former Employee - Healthcare Claims Auditor in Lagrange, KY
    Former Employee - Healthcare Claims Auditor in Lagrange, KY

I worked at Rawlings Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The training was excellent and helped prepare you for your job.
    Time off is flexible. You can call your supervisor in the morning and take a vacation day if you want.
    If you are money motivated, then if you stay long enough then the money can be nice.

Cons

There is no flexibility in hours worked. Everyone works 8-5.
    Micromanagment is the norm there from the CEO to the supervisor.
    People are afraid to speak up and address their concerns.
    The atmosphere was very "cliquish". I felt like I was in high school again.

Advice to Management

Quit talking about your employees in front of your other employees. I heard supervisors bad mouthing people more than once.

9. Dynamic environment geared towards agile development, fast-paced, just occasionally slowing down a bit. Microsoft stack.

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in La Grange, KY
    Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in La Grange, KY

I have been working at Rawlings Group full-time

Pros

Pushing for use of the latest technologies, moderately opened environment, share of knowledge works on a daily basis, no need for special encouragement by the management although assumed and expected to be that way. Decent salary level for the area. Location and premises opened for daylight, makes atmosphere more humane inside. Pleasant and clean surroundings.

Cons

401.k matching symbolic and not even possible during the first year of employment. Medical not generous as well. Not really comfortable office furniture unless you like being stuck in the small corner entire day. Sick/vacation days too tight. Getting off and on to I-71 for most of the employees daily nightmare (not really company fault).

10. Megalomania

I worked at Rawlings Group

Pros

They pay every two weeks.

Cons

From morning til closing time.

Software Developer

Current Employee - Software Developer in Lagrange, KY
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Lagrange, KY

I have been working at Rawlings Group

Pros

- The hour is good. Usually work only 8 hours per day. Never had to work anywhere close to 50 hours per week. Longest day I've worked is about 10 hours, and that was my choice. I wanted to finish something up so I stayed late.
    - Salary is on the higher end comparing to other companies in the area.
    - Lots of work to do, you won't be sitting at your desk bored to death.
    - Vary team by team, but my manager and lead are pretty good.
    - Can easily talk to my VP when needed.
    - No after hour support (since the business usually don't work after hours)

Cons

- It's nice to work basically 40 hours exactly every week...but it's because it's work hour for the business, which is 8 - 5. The hours are fixed. It would be nice if the hours are flexible.
    - No telecommute.
    - Formal end of business casual. Have to wear ties or must wear Rawlings logo shirts if not wearing ties. I don't see any reason how wearing a polo shirt with Rawlings on it = dress shirt + tie in formality. It's just another way the company makes money...off their own employee.
    - Salary is nice, but benefits aren't great. Little higher for insurances. No bonuses for my position. The company is doing so well, it should share a little with the entire company. Take a small percent, 10%, of the total profit and split it evenly with everyone. That would be nice and it would encourage those that aren't making money off of commissions to work harder.
    - Lots of work is nice, so you won't be bored...but sometimes it's a little overwhelming. I could be working on many projects at the same time. One thing I really don't like is there aren't any real requirements. A project could get started by an email containing a couple of sentences. I haven't seen a requirement document or any form of written detailed requirements. They really need to hire BAs to write up good requirements. This is why sometimes I'm actively working literally on 5 or more projects that have nothing to do with each other because I had to wait on the business to make a decision on something.

Advice to Management

- Please write up requirement documents...and no developers shouldn't be the ones to write them. Preferably, hire some BAs and have them write it. To save money, some QA (those that have been there for a while) knows the business pretty well. Maybe have them dedicate some of their time to write up requirements. At least this way they'll know exactly what they need to write up their test cases for.
    - Allow telecommute option...may once a week?
    - Casual dress code...or at least for IT. I understand dress formal when client comes, but when there aren't any clients we shouldn't have to dress up. I would get more work done when I'm comfortable.

RSS Feed </> Embed