Rawlings Group

Software Developer

Current Employee - Software Developer in Lagrange, KY
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Lagrange, KY

I have been working at Rawlings Group

Pros

- The hour is good. Usually work only 8 hours per day. Never had to work anywhere close to 50 hours per week. Longest day I've worked is about 10 hours, and that was my choice. I wanted to finish something up so I stayed late.
    - Salary is on the higher end comparing to other companies in the area.
    - Lots of work to do, you won't be sitting at your desk bored to death.
    - Vary team by team, but my manager and lead are pretty good.
    - Can easily talk to my VP when needed.
    - No after hour support (since the business usually don't work after hours)

Cons

- It's nice to work basically 40 hours exactly every week...but it's because it's work hour for the business, which is 8 - 5. The hours are fixed. It would be nice if the hours are flexible.
    - No telecommute.
    - Formal end of business casual. Have to wear ties or must wear Rawlings logo shirts if not wearing ties. I don't see any reason how wearing a polo shirt with Rawlings on it = dress shirt + tie in formality. It's just another way the company makes money...off their own employee.
    - Salary is nice, but benefits aren't great. Little higher for insurances. No bonuses for my position. The company is doing so well, it should share a little with the entire company. Take a small percent, 10%, of the total profit and split it evenly with everyone. That would be nice and it would encourage those that aren't making money off of commissions to work harder.
    - Lots of work is nice, so you won't be bored...but sometimes it's a little overwhelming. I could be working on many projects at the same time. One thing I really don't like is there aren't any real requirements. A project could get started by an email containing a couple of sentences. I haven't seen a requirement document or any form of written detailed requirements. They really need to hire BAs to write up good requirements. This is why sometimes I'm actively working literally on 5 or more projects that have nothing to do with each other because I had to wait on the business to make a decision on something.

- Please write up requirement documents...and no developers shouldn't be the ones to write them. Preferably, hire some BAs and have them write it. To save money, some QA (those that have been there for a while) knows the business pretty well. Maybe have them dedicate some of their time to write up requirements. At least this way they'll know exactly what they need to write up their test cases for.
    - Allow telecommute option...may once a week?
    - Casual dress code...or at least for IT. I understand dress formal when client comes, but when there aren't any clients we shouldn't have to dress up. I would get more work done when I'm comfortable.

Excellent. Work hard, mind your own business and make lots of money with great benefits.

I have been working at Rawlings Group

Pros

People, money, long term steady employment. Growing company, no layoffs. Job security, learn marketable skills, technology is up to date and you learn a lot as you go.

Cons

Mind your own business and you'll be good. Start gossiping and getting into other people's business and you'll be miserable. You can find things to complain about at any job.

Keep doing what your doing!! Good place to be

I enjoyed working for The Rawlings Company

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Rawlings Group

Pros

Challenging workload, great pay, professional atmosphere

Cons

Sometimes workload was unmanageable wo working long hours

None

Keeping it real

Current Employee - Subrogation Analyst in Lagrange, KY
    Current Employee - Subrogation Analyst in Lagrange, KY

I have been working at Rawlings Group full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Money! If you do your job and don't waste time socializing, playing on your smartphone and constantly taking breaks, you can make great money and it is extremely easy to do if you simply just follow the rules. If you have a strong ability to communicate and to follow direction and can understand simple legal concepts, this job is not hard to do.

Cons

Not everyone can do this job, it is time consuming and you have to be able to follow the rules and listen. When I say that not everyone can do this, I mean you have to possess a thick skin, because of the subject matter of the job as well as to be able to take tough management. If you can't be told what to do and then take the initiative you will not succeed. There are long hours you can become very successful but also very busy, you can easily put in 10 hours a day if you are not careful.

Remember that when you pass information on second hand the original message is lost in the translation and transfer. If the President or Director wants to tell somebody something or give advice then be direct. Training Materials need to be more easily located training once on something and then hoping everyone keeps a handout forever is not a reasonable expectation.

Nice building, but employees are treated like children.

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in La Grange, KY
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in La Grange, KY

I worked at Rawlings Group as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

The office is newer and has a gym, cafeteria, and coffee stand. The work life balance is pretty good, everyone must be at work at 9 and therefore everyone leaves at 5.

Cons

The owner of the company micro manages everything. Employee's can't eat lunch at their desks. You can't have headphones and listen to music during work. You can't leave your jacket on the back of your chair.

The technology you work with is pretty antiquated and must always be part of the Microsoft stack.

Trust people aren't trying to take advantage of you.

Great pay for those willing to work!

Current Employee - Subrogation in Lagrange, KY
    Current Employee - Subrogation in Lagrange, KY

I have been working at Rawlings Group full-time

Pros

Good money, benefits, people. The most important factors in a job are all there!

Cons

Upper management tends to micromanage and worry a lot about numbers only.

Give the employees more faith in doing their jobs to the best of their abilities.

I had a below average tenure with this company.

I worked at Rawlings Group full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Very comfortable work enviornment with peer relationships. Compensation is adequate for management positions.

Cons

Management tends to micro manage to the fullest extent. There needs to be more motivation driven management rather than get the job done at all costs mentality.

Understand you will get much more out of your employees with a pat on the back rather than a kick in the pants.

The most Toxic corporate culture I have ever been associated with.

Former Employee - Former Employee in La Grange, KY
    Former Employee - Former Employee in La Grange, KY

I worked at Rawlings Group full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Relatively easy to get hired. The company has an extremely poor reputation in the Louisville area which limits the number of quality candidates competing for open positions.

Cons

I found that success criteria was vaguely defined and constantly changing. Senior management was often times completely irrational in their decision making and thought process.

Ridiculously stressful environment that borderlined on the bizarre.

The encouraged management style is based on intimidation and fear.

I would not recommend taking a position at this company under any circumstances. Most staffing and recruiting agencies will tell you the same thing.

Read the book The Emperor's New Clothes.

Audit

I have been working at Rawlings Group full-time

Pros

Company offers decent compensation & great work experience in the healthcare industry.

Cons

Extremely micromanaged. Constant fear of losing job.

Subrogation

Former Employee - Subrogation Analyst in Lagrange, KY
    Former Employee - Subrogation Analyst in Lagrange, KY

I worked at Rawlings Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Bonus structure was good. Great pay after 1 year

Cons

Work load was too large