Rawlings Group

Keeping it real

Current Employee - Subrogation Analyst  in  Lagrange, KY
    Current Employee - Subrogation Analyst in Lagrange, KY

I have been working at Rawlings Group full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Money! If you do your job and don't waste time socializing, playing on your smartphone and constantly taking breaks, you can make great money and it is extremely easy to do if you simply just follow the rules. If you have a strong ability to communicate and to follow direction and can understand simple legal concepts, this job is not hard to do.

Cons

Not everyone can do this job, it is time consuming and you have to be able to follow the rules and listen. When I say that not everyone can do this, I mean you have to possess a thick skin, because of the subject matter of the job as well as to be able to take tough management. If you can't be told what to do and then take the initiative you will not succeed. There are long hours you can become very successful but also very busy, you can easily put in 10 hours a day if you are not careful.

Remember that when you pass information on second hand the original message is lost in the translation and transfer. If the President or Director wants to tell somebody something or give advice then be direct. Training Materials need to be more easily located training once on something and then hoping everyone keeps a handout forever is not a reasonable expectation.

I had a below average tenure with this company.

I worked at Rawlings Group full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Very comfortable work enviornment with peer relationships. Compensation is adequate for management positions.

Cons

Management tends to micro manage to the fullest extent. There needs to be more motivation driven management rather than get the job done at all costs mentality.

Understand you will get much more out of your employees with a pat on the back rather than a kick in the pants.

Nice building, but employees are treated like children.

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  La Grange, KY
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in La Grange, KY

I worked at Rawlings Group as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

The office is newer and has a gym, cafeteria, and coffee stand. The work life balance is pretty good, everyone must be at work at 9 and therefore everyone leaves at 5.

Cons

The owner of the company micro manages everything. Employee's can't eat lunch at their desks. You can't have headphones and listen to music during work. You can't leave your jacket on the back of your chair.

The technology you work with is pretty antiquated and must always be part of the Microsoft stack.

Trust people aren't trying to take advantage of you.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The most Toxic corporate culture I have ever been associated with.

Former Employee - Former Employee  in  La Grange, KY
    Former Employee - Former Employee in La Grange, KY

I worked at Rawlings Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Relatively easy to get hired. The company has an extremely poor reputation in the Louisville area which limits the number of quality candidates competing for open positions.

Cons

I found that success criteria was vaguely defined and constantly changing. Senior management was often times completely irrational in their decision making and thought process.

Ridiculously stressful environment that borderlined on the bizarre.

The encouraged management style is based on intimidation and fear.

I would not recommend taking a position at this company under any circumstances. Most staffing and recruiting agencies will tell you the same thing.

Read the book The Emperor's New Clothes.

Audit

I have been working at Rawlings Group full-time

Pros

Company offers decent compensation & great work experience in the healthcare industry.

Cons

Extremely micromanaged. Constant fear of losing job.

Subrogation

Former Employee - Subrogation Analyst  in  Lagrange, KY
    Former Employee - Subrogation Analyst in Lagrange, KY

I worked at Rawlings Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Bonus structure was good. Great pay after 1 year

Cons

Work load was too large

Good employees but the company needs improvement.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Lagrange, KY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lagrange, KY

I have been working at Rawlings Group full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I love my work family, and I am thankful that I have a job. I am thankful for good bonuses, when they come.

Cons

The company lacks flexibility in work hours and dress code. The company is more reactive than proactive.

Embrace a modern culture. Treat employees with respect, and treat them as valuable assets with talent. Move away from dictatorship and into a culture that values individual performance, ideas, and results. Be more flexible with work hours and dress code.

Depressing Soul Crushing Place to work

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  La Grange, KY
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in La Grange, KY

I have been working at Rawlings Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Working with some great Microsoft Technologies. Decent Compensation.... but then they have to because of the very justifiable horrible reputation they have in the IT field

Cons

Employees are not valued by upper management.. IT culture is not current. No Flex time. No working remotely simply because the owner does not trust his employees. You will be told it is because of HIPPA. That is not true, I have worked for large insurance company's that allowed employees to work remotely.

Most disturbing of all is the complete lack of professional behavior from both the top and from HR. From emails pushing political agenda's and extolling employees to pray (this in reference to Obama Care). To being cursed out by HR when an employee decides to terminate their employment.

I can give none simply because their hands are tied.

unpleasant workplace

Former Employee - Subrogation Analyst  in  Lagrange, KY
    Former Employee - Subrogation Analyst in Lagrange, KY

I worked at Rawlings Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

none other than good health insurance.

Cons

everyone tells one you to the boss for things you didn't know were wrong, or a manager actually told you to do. it's like you're in highschool there. tattle tailing is the norm. They will not hesitate to fire you on a whim and not even tell you why, other than 'we don't feel it's a good fit for you'. no room for advancement, transferring between depts is NOT allowed, only within your dept is (which is extremely limiting). takes forever to make money in this sort of industry, and what they pay isn't worth the drive all the out to lagrange if you don't live there.

establish clear rules so everyone understands the proper way to do things, and tell old man rawlings he's not as impressive as he thinks he is, and maybe if he paid better he might not have a revolving door of employees (except for the few weirdos that have been there for years and fear the old man)

A very dismal work environment, where every aspect of the company is controlled from the top.

Current Employee - IT Department  in  La Grange, KY
    Current Employee - IT Department in La Grange, KY

I have been working at Rawlings Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Technology stays up to date for the most part, developers get to work with all of the up to date stuff.
    Lower level management does a good job at filtering out some of the negativity from above, which is nice. they are however, choked out by Mr. Rawlings, who has removed any chance of allowing management to create a better work environment.
    Restaurant and coffee shop inside is awesome, discounts for using company cups.
    Option of wearing logo'd Polos instead of ties every day.
    The scenery outside is pleasant and relaxing.

Cons

You know there is an issue when the opening line in the interview process is: "Well, what have you heard about us? By the way, the things on our glassdoor reviews simply aren't true."

For the con section, I'll just state rules from the company handbook.

The pay here begins at somewhat competitive rates, but there is a catch. As previously stated, Mr. Rawlings runs everything about the company, meaning that any and all correspondence in relation to your employment goes through his desk. If you get a promotion, you will often be offered a lesser rate than what the position started at for an outside hire. Mr. Rawlings and HR state: "The pay increase is too big of a jump from your previous salary." If an internal employee interviews for and accepts an offer, should they not be given the same if not more money than a brand new employee with no knowledge on subrogation techniques?

No Flex Time, and you must take a mandatory lunch hour, or choose to work through it. Regardless, mandatory hours are 8AM-5PM, with zero exceptions. Working from home is also nothing you will experience during your employment. For those of us experienced in the IT community where flex time and working from home is the accepted norm, this is inexcusable.

No food/open drink at your desk.

No more than 2 small picture frames on your desk (and they MUST be black in color, by the way)

Having headphones in at your desk is frowned upon.

No cologne/perfume allowed.

Being up from your desk and speaking to another employee puts you at risk of a coaching, since 'the eyes of Mr. Rawlings are many.'

As a last note, anyone considering a position at the Rawlings Company shouldn't take my word for it. Just ask this one simple question during your interview: "What is the turnover rate for the position I am applying for." When they state: '75-100% annually is the average', that should tell you enough.

Advice to upper management has been ignored since this company's start, therefore, I seriously doubt anything written here will change his mind. Honestly, he needs to give his department and team managers the ability to do their jobs, and LEAD. They have zero authority to offer incentive of any kind, other than submitting a request directly to him.

Never in my career have I literally sat at my desk, and loathed the minutes as they tick by. This is the accepted climate at the Rawlings Group, which demonstrates a severe inability to adapt in today's corporate environment.

Worked for Rawlings Group? Contribute to the Community!