Rawlings Group Reviews

1. Subrogation

Current Employee - Subrogation Analyst
    Current Employee - Subrogation Analyst

I have been working at Rawlings Group

Pros

$$ - but only if you work SMART and HARD. Fast helps too. It takes a few months of hard work before you start to see the results of your efforts, but that is because most files don't open, close, and result in a check all within the same month. It takes time to build up an inventory of well worked files, which is like sitting on an investment -- law of averages results in a steady stream of checks that increases as your inventory increases. Work a file smart and hard, move on to the next, keep on top of everything, and the checks come on. A large portion of compensation is bonus based on $ recoveries/month, and the bonus payouts increase non-linearly (in tiers) the more you bring in, to the point that a good month performance-wise = a VERY good month for your wallet. Some of it is luck, and even sub-par employees can land on a file that has a quick, big payout, but the company recognizes this and also awards additional bonuses based on the number of recoveries you bring in, regardless of size, on the theory that if you are successfully recovering on a lot of files, you are doing it right even if the $ amounts may be lower. The subrogation division currently has more business than it can handle, and is getting even more, which--yes--means more work, but also more money. It also means no layoffs due to there not being enough work to go around, which won't be changing for the foreseeable future. It's a stable job for those who are good at it, and willing to work hard and smart. Good people are not being let go. The company doesn't have enough analysts for all the work it has, is frantically looking for more, and doesn't have anywhere to put them so is putting up a third building right now that should be finished end of the year. If you want to get in, now's definitely the time. I predict base salaries will go up as well, once management has their epiphany (see below advice to management). This is NOT a time for the company when it is looking to reduce headcount and good people get bad news. Flexibility: pro and con (see below). Know in advance you need to come in late one day, but don't need the whole day off? We all work late shifts on average 3-4x/month. Come in at 11 and stay until 8. It's to keep a small staff around to handle calls from the west coast. Those shifts are tradeable, and do not cost you anything in vacation/sick/PTO.

Cons

This isn't a rant, just things that aren't obvious to people who don't work here and things people should know before they do. All the other complaints about company policies, location, parking, dress code (i.e., stupid stuff), are things you learn before you ever started, and if those were a problem, you shouldn't have accepted the offer. Clients are expecting more and willing to pay less than they used to, which decreases profit margins for the company, increases the amount of work it needs to take on, and that of course translates into higher expectations on you as the analyst. So no, you can't phone it in and expect to stick around. Literally. (There's no telecommute or work from home). The job is not for everyone, and the company needs to do a better job of addressing that at the door rather than 3-6 months in. The first response to increased business and need for more analysts was to lower the hiring requirements (used to be bachelor's required with significant preference for a JD, now it's essentially anyone with some college that can get through a standard corporate interview that in almost no way gives data on whether the job is a good fit). That's been unfortunate for a lot of people that get hired, spend 3-6 months here, and then are asked to leave because it's not working out, and while there will always be natural turnover, this definitely increases it, and it shouldn't be necessary. If you're an employer, and you require services of talented, smart employees that are a good fit and happen to be in short supply, you recruit more aggressively and PAY MORE GENEROUSLY, not open the door to anyone. Inheriting files from people who were not a good fit -- it's part of the job, every week, and it's frustrating. It's immediately obvious whether someone left to move on to their next chapter or because they were shown the door once you start working their still-in-progress files. And if they were shown the door, that is a much more difficult file to work. If they were good at their job, then it's a plus for you -- just monitor the file and wait for the check. Metrics: there's a report for everything. Wanna know how many phone calls you made yesterday? How many you received? How many files you did anything to? How many minutes you spent logged in? How many documents you opened? How many histories you worked? Of course you don't. But somebody does, and if you are not in the "happy middle" on those reports, it will be mentioned by your boss who, by the way, also thinks the reports are stupid but HIS/HER compensation depends on making sure people meet these metrics. If you're doing your job well, it usually won't ever be an issue, but when it is, it's incredibly annoying and patronizing. Flexibility: the company never closes unless it is an honest-to-goodness holiday. Never. Literally. Blizzard making the roads impassable, shutting down schools, interstates, local/state/federal government agencies, Governor-declared states of emergency, and making it impossible for you (and 50% of everyone else) to make it to work? Hope you saved up a vacation day, because it's coming out of your PTO. It happened this year -- A LOT -- and it's absolutely inexcusable on the company's part. Advancement: if you are good at your job, you can make very good money without having to "move up" in the promotion sense. People with about two years or so under their belt who are doing well are reliably making $80,000+. But if you're looking for promotions, titles, credentials, things to put on a resume -- that doesn't really happen. If you're a lawyer, you'll get paid even more (base salary is higher) and can (in theory at least) advance to an in-house counsel position. The higher level executives are MBAs and traditional corporate managers, though. Your path to those jobs lies elsewhere if that's what you are aiming for. Benefits. Health: Decent for you, bad for your family. I say "decent" because the standard co-pay/PPO type plan is an 80/20 that is surprisingly expensive in comparison to salary. For that much in premiums + copays, it should be a 90/10 or better. There's an HDHP that's actually really good if your healthcare expenses are higher than most. High initial cost ($3,000 deductible), but then it's 100% (no copays, no co-insurance) rest of the year, plus employer contribution to your HSA, and much lower premiums. Want to add children? Expect to pay a LOT more in deductions. Want to add a spouse as well? Expect to pay a WHOLE LOT more in deductions. Want to add a spouse with no children? You can't. There's no way to sugarcoat it. The company DOES NOT WANT YOUR FAMILY ON ITS HEALTH PLAN, and prices it accordingly. It's very, very obvious. Vision: not good. Might drop it. Dental: not good. But I've never seen a dental plan that was good, so we just deal. Life insurance: The max you can get without proof of insurability right now is $200,000, which if you're a high performer, is a little over 2x what you can reasonably expect to be making after a year or two. That's not enough for your family if something should happen to you. It's group insurance, the company has grown to well over 1,000 people (and counting), and it's time to increase the available amount.

Advice to Management

Salary -- it's time for base salary to go up. It's about to, slightly, but it needs to go up more than slightly to attract people that are the right fit. Raise salary, be more selective, design an interview that actually yields meaningful information on fit. Yes, you'll pay more. Spend the money smartly, and it will pay back in multiples. Everyone knows bad hires cost A LOT of money -- it's a seller's market right now for people who will do this job well; recognize it, respond accordingly. Hiring: with it being so expensive to correct for every bad hire, I really scratch my head on this one. Do a better job at the door. Seriously. It's not smart from a management perspective, and it's cruel to people who are told they will succeed, leave another job to come here, and then have to leave after a few months. Flexibility: when there's a state of emergency and the rest of the state is closed, it's time for the company to close for the day too. God happens to all of us, including corporations who--I know--are focused on the bottom line. Eat the cost, or offer hazard pay.

2. Subrogration

Current Employee - Subrogation in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Subrogation in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Rawlings Group

Pros

You make a lot of money ... sure you work hard but it pays off ... i have been there 13 years, so it can't be all that bad .... i like my job, who and who i work with

Cons

you will always find things you don't like at any company .. there is no perfect job, if there was we would all be in line waiting to get it

3. I wanted to review the reviews.

Current Employee - Applications Developer in La Grange, KY
    Current Employee - Applications Developer in La Grange, KY

I have been working at Rawlings Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Still a great place to work and good raises. I honestly don't know anything about any departments other than IT, but wow, all those bad reviews sound like complainers. I wander the other floors occasionally... doesn't seem like anything scary or evil is going on there. The bad reviews on here are loaded with extreme generalizations. I read something once that says "never believe generalizations" :-) I guess that's an oxymoron, but usually extreme and generalized statements are highly inaccurate. Let me tell you about IT department... I don't understand the comments on turn over. They must have a hidden, secret location full of people I don't know about. Honestly, I've seen a few people quit over the years, but turnover is low. Based on many negative comments on the other reviews, there must be people who quit their dream jobs in paradise to come work here. For me this is the best job I've had on my whole life... and I've only had 5 or 6 other jobs, if you count silly high school jobs as relevant in my comparison. Otherwise it's just two others. I wouldn't say this is my dream job, but it's the best so far. Sure there are things to be nitpicky about... but here's my advice... nitpick before you accept a job. When you accept a job, you essentially are saying that you agree with doing the work in the environment the job offers for the pay offered. So bring all your nitpicky questions to the table at the interview and make an intelligent decision. I can honestly say that nothing about this company has been any kind of obstacle to myself personally or professionally.

Cons

Let me tell you... the dress code... NO BIG DEAL. Well I would love to dress down, but a shirt and tie never gets in the way of my job. I really don't understand the dress code complaints on this forum. It's not like they lie to you. Why did you take the job in the first place if the dress code is such a big concern for yourself? The commute is so long. What? They didn't move the office and haven't in many years. Why did you take the job if you don't like the commute? One last thought on cons. Right at the bottom of the review form, glass door had a section called "keep it real". There are a lot of unreal reviews on this forum, so be careful what you believe. Do your due diligence at the interview and make an intelligent decision.

Advice to Management

Don't micromanage. Well... I have no idea who is micromanaging in IT and I know nothing about other departments, but I sit next to my boss and he never bothers me about anything. We discuss the project and production support items all the time, but he never micromanages anyone that I can tell.

5. Claims Auditor

Current Employee - COB Auditor in Lagrange, KY
    Current Employee - COB Auditor in Lagrange, KY

I have been working at Rawlings Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Competitive salary and commission, flexible time off

Cons

Little room for career advancement, no departmental authority to make decisions

Advice to Management

As the company grows, the small company mentality must be replaced with a larger company mindset.

lead through fear from upper management

Former Employee - Subrogation Analyst in La Grange, KY
    Former Employee - Subrogation Analyst in La Grange, KY

I worked at Rawlings Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good money, interesting work, good benefits and travel.

Cons

Not much room to move up, micro-managed, over worked, constantly change in policy, negative atmosphere

Advice to Management

Let the workers do their job without getting in the way more than necessary, promote more within, address employee morale, allow for cross training and more promotions.

7. Micromanagement

Former Employee - Developer in Lagrange, KY
    Former Employee - Developer in Lagrange, KY

I worked at Rawlings Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I would avoid this company there are better jobs out there.

Cons

- dress code - no system documentation - business requirements are never clear - micromanagement - different rules apply to everyone - management does nothing to help employees succeed

Advice to Management

Don't pretend to care about employees then use what they tell you against them and stop micromanaging. No one likes it.

8. Analyst

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lagrange, KY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lagrange, KY

I have been working at Rawlings Group

Pros

It's a job. They pay you to show up. They have a physical location to go to everyday.

Cons

Lies upon being hired. Lack of caring for employees. Everything is about commissions. Micromanagement all day. Office environment is terrible. Very negative, leadership holds your job over your head even when you are a top performer. I left a lucrative career in hopes of more money here but it's not worth being miserable everyday.

Advice to Management

Appreciate your employees. Specifically the few intelligent ones that you have. Stop pulling uneducated people through the doors and promising them the world only uo break them, and everyone else, down when they can't perform. The office morale in every department is terrible.

9. I should have never applied in the first place

Former Employee - Subrogation Analyst
    Former Employee - Subrogation Analyst

I worked at Rawlings Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

1. The building is a corporate castle. 2. Their training is very thorough. 3. You get inundated by Fox News throughout all the break areas. There's nothing quite like watching leggy blonds discuss family values on TV every time you get a soda....

Cons

I left a job I enjoyed because the Rawlings Company offers better pay. However, they did not clearly express when I interviewed that the big bonus money comes from negotiating (arguing) with plaintiff's attorneys all day. Pure and simple. If you don't like arguing with attorneys for a living, don't take this job. Also, they go after all the money they can within the bounds of the law. Morality and mercy do NOT play a role here. They argue that what they do keeps health insurance costs down. This is likely true, but they likely also drive car insurance rates up. I was lied to on more than one occasion from the top of the company. I was told by HR, trainers, team leads, etc., that it takes about 12 months to really understand the job and do it well. Then, by my fifth month of employment, I was told that I should be up to speed within just six months. Also, Rawlings recently took on a new client and encouraged us to work weekends by seducing us with "low hanging fruit," only to have that bonus money taken away from us at the last moment. To sum up -- don't apply at this company unless you can be cutthroat and negotiate with attorneys all day.

Advice to Management

Don't hire people unless you really want to keep them. Employees make huge sacrifices and risks to leave their former employers, drive all the way to LaGrange from Louisville, and work extra hours so they can work at Rawlings. To hire a training class full of people expecting to get rid of more than 50% of them isn't ethical.

10. Worst work culture. Look away.

Former Employee - Software Developer in La Grange, KY
    Former Employee - Software Developer in La Grange, KY

I worked at Rawlings Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Gym, nice location, large campus, growing Great pay.

Cons

As a developer, this is the worst place to work. You can never work remotely. Even if you are sick and contagious, please come in and get everyone else sick. Management treat developers like the other cows, not realizing that the economy today is dependent on nurturing the few that this country does have.

Advice to Management

If you want good developers, learn to treat them better.

Great company if you like to be micromanaged

Former Employee - Healthcare Claims Auditor in Lagrange, KY
    Former Employee - Healthcare Claims Auditor in Lagrange, KY

I worked at Rawlings Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The training was excellent and helped prepare you for your job. Time off is flexible. You can call your supervisor in the morning and take a vacation day if you want. If you are money motivated, then if you stay long enough then the money can be nice.

Cons

There is no flexibility in hours worked. Everyone works 8-5. Micromanagment is the norm there from the CEO to the supervisor. People are afraid to speak up and address their concerns. The atmosphere was very "cliquish". I felt like I was in high school again.

Advice to Management

Quit talking about your employees in front of your other employees. I heard supervisors bad mouthing people more than once.

RSS Feed </> Embed