Rawlings Group Reviews

George Rawlings

1. Developer

Current Employee - Developer in Lagrange, KY
    Current Employee - Developer in Lagrange, KY

I have been working at Rawlings Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I think most of the negative reviews below are for employees paid on commission. Working here as a developer has been a great. There is no one looking over my shoulder or office politics. Show up, do your work and go home. Never work past 5:00 or on weekends.

Cons

There are no nerf guns or mandatory ping pong tournaments but that works for me. If I am not going to be working I want to decide what I do with my time.

Advice to Management

I have had two managers here at Rawlings and enjoyed working for both of them. Otherwise, wearing jeans one week and the Rawlings version of business casual the next week is annoying.

Great company if you like to be micromanaged

Former Employee - Healthcare Claims Auditor in Lagrange, KY
    Former Employee - Healthcare Claims Auditor in Lagrange, KY

I worked at Rawlings Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The training was excellent and helped prepare you for your job.
    Time off is flexible. You can call your supervisor in the morning and take a vacation day if you want.
    If you are money motivated, then if you stay long enough then the money can be nice.

Cons

There is no flexibility in hours worked. Everyone works 8-5.
    Micromanagment is the norm there from the CEO to the supervisor.
    People are afraid to speak up and address their concerns.
    The atmosphere was very "cliquish". I felt like I was in high school again.

Advice to Management

Quit talking about your employees in front of your other employees. I heard supervisors bad mouthing people more than once.

3. Dynamic environment geared towards agile development, fast-paced, just occasionally slowing down a bit. Microsoft stack.

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in La Grange, KY
    Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in La Grange, KY

I have been working at Rawlings Group full-time

Pros

Pushing for use of the latest technologies, moderately opened environment, share of knowledge works on a daily basis, no need for special encouragement by the management although assumed and expected to be that way. Decent salary level for the area. Location and premises opened for daylight, makes atmosphere more humane inside. Pleasant and clean surroundings.

Cons

401.k matching symbolic and not even possible during the first year of employment. Medical not generous as well. Not really comfortable office furniture unless you like being stuck in the small corner entire day. Sick/vacation days too tight. Getting off and on to I-71 for most of the employees daily nightmare (not really company fault).

5. Growing company without growing salaries.

Current Employee - Health Care Claims Auditor in Lagrange, KY
    Current Employee - Health Care Claims Auditor in Lagrange, KY

I have been working at Rawlings Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Professional people. Management is fair and professional. Opportunities to advance exist. Company is really growing.

Cons

Below average salary. Below average vacation and sick days. Very long commute. Car pooling almost necessary.

6. Megalomania

I worked at Rawlings Group

Pros

They pay every two weeks.

Cons

From morning til closing time.

Software Developer

Current Employee - Software Developer in Lagrange, KY
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Lagrange, KY

I have been working at Rawlings Group

Pros

- The hour is good. Usually work only 8 hours per day. Never had to work anywhere close to 50 hours per week. Longest day I've worked is about 10 hours, and that was my choice. I wanted to finish something up so I stayed late.
    - Salary is on the higher end comparing to other companies in the area.
    - Lots of work to do, you won't be sitting at your desk bored to death.
    - Vary team by team, but my manager and lead are pretty good.
    - Can easily talk to my VP when needed.
    - No after hour support (since the business usually don't work after hours)

Cons

- It's nice to work basically 40 hours exactly every week...but it's because it's work hour for the business, which is 8 - 5. The hours are fixed. It would be nice if the hours are flexible.
    - No telecommute.
    - Formal end of business casual. Have to wear ties or must wear Rawlings logo shirts if not wearing ties. I don't see any reason how wearing a polo shirt with Rawlings on it = dress shirt + tie in formality. It's just another way the company makes money...off their own employee.
    - Salary is nice, but benefits aren't great. Little higher for insurances. No bonuses for my position. The company is doing so well, it should share a little with the entire company. Take a small percent, 10%, of the total profit and split it evenly with everyone. That would be nice and it would encourage those that aren't making money off of commissions to work harder.
    - Lots of work is nice, so you won't be bored...but sometimes it's a little overwhelming. I could be working on many projects at the same time. One thing I really don't like is there aren't any real requirements. A project could get started by an email containing a couple of sentences. I haven't seen a requirement document or any form of written detailed requirements. They really need to hire BAs to write up good requirements. This is why sometimes I'm actively working literally on 5 or more projects that have nothing to do with each other because I had to wait on the business to make a decision on something.

Advice to Management

- Please write up requirement documents...and no developers shouldn't be the ones to write them. Preferably, hire some BAs and have them write it. To save money, some QA (those that have been there for a while) knows the business pretty well. Maybe have them dedicate some of their time to write up requirements. At least this way they'll know exactly what they need to write up their test cases for.
    - Allow telecommute option...may once a week?
    - Casual dress code...or at least for IT. I understand dress formal when client comes, but when there aren't any clients we shouldn't have to dress up. I would get more work done when I'm comfortable.

Excellent. Work hard, mind your own business and make lots of money with great benefits.

I have been working at Rawlings Group

Pros

People, money, long term steady employment. Growing company, no layoffs. Job security, learn marketable skills, technology is up to date and you learn a lot as you go.

Cons

Mind your own business and you'll be good. Start gossiping and getting into other people's business and you'll be miserable. You can find things to complain about at any job.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing!! Good place to be

9. I enjoyed working for The Rawlings Company

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Rawlings Group

Pros

Challenging workload, great pay, professional atmosphere

Cons

Sometimes workload was unmanageable wo working long hours

Advice to Management

None

Keeping it real

Current Employee - Subrogation Analyst in Lagrange, KY
    Current Employee - Subrogation Analyst in Lagrange, KY

I have been working at Rawlings Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Money! If you do your job and don't waste time socializing, playing on your smartphone and constantly taking breaks, you can make great money and it is extremely easy to do if you simply just follow the rules. If you have a strong ability to communicate and to follow direction and can understand simple legal concepts, this job is not hard to do.

Cons

Not everyone can do this job, it is time consuming and you have to be able to follow the rules and listen. When I say that not everyone can do this, I mean you have to possess a thick skin, because of the subject matter of the job as well as to be able to take tough management. If you can't be told what to do and then take the initiative you will not succeed. There are long hours you can become very successful but also very busy, you can easily put in 10 hours a day if you are not careful.

Advice to Management

Remember that when you pass information on second hand the original message is lost in the translation and transfer. If the President or Director wants to tell somebody something or give advice then be direct. Training Materials need to be more easily located training once on something and then hoping everyone keeps a handout forever is not a reasonable expectation.

11. I had a below average tenure with this company.

I worked at Rawlings Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Very comfortable work enviornment with peer relationships. Compensation is adequate for management positions.

Cons

Management tends to micro manage to the fullest extent. There needs to be more motivation driven management rather than get the job done at all costs mentality.

Advice to Management

Understand you will get much more out of your employees with a pat on the back rather than a kick in the pants.