Raycom

Updated December 29, 2014
Updated December 29, 2014
2.7

Paul H. McTear Jr.

Great Company to kick off your career!

I have been working at Raycom full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Family atmosphere. Teamwork. Easy to grow within company.

Cons

Too many small markets. Not enough big market stations to gain big market experience.

Sales

Current Employee - Sales in Columbia, SC
    Current Employee - Sales in Columbia, SC

I have been working at Raycom full-time (more than an year)

Pros

8-5............................ That's it That's it the only thing so listen now. I would not have any other positive things.

Cons

........................no no no no don't take job. Dont I repeat don't take it Low pay, no compensation for gas. You make a good sale they like you for one day. You have a bad month the management will let you go for no reason. You'll have 3 new bosses in 6 months of being with company. NO JOB SECURITY. You get 15% and except to have new business less than 3 weeks and you should close 2 sales a week lol. Good luck. Keep your job if you are looking. Don't do it. I'm telling you don't................................no no no no o.

Really look at company and how it's ran. For a semi medium sized company. They thing they are the size of Att. Don't lie to yourselves or employees or try not to get bullied.

Expect to work hard.

I have been working at Raycom full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Reliable and Stable company.

Cons

A lot of extra hard work. No bonuses or anything. Don't expect anything special. Pay is scale bare minimum for hourly workers in professional jobs.

Good experience

I worked at Raycom part-time

Pros

Very team driven and competitive, often run contests as incentives to the sales team. Managers keep the work environment as fun as it could possibly be. They are really good about promoting from within the company.

Cons

The tasks burn you out, and you get tired of doing the same repetitive thing.

An alright place to work

I worked at Raycom as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Good work/life balance
    Good training ground for career development

Cons

Cheap; upper management doesn't seem to have dinner in pulse of employees

Don't cut corners on everything. Update equipment.

Raycom does not support Women or Minorities.

Former Employee - Marketing Director
    Former Employee - Marketing Director

I worked at Raycom full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Raycom is a long standing company in the media market place.

Cons

They are known for creating a negative environment. Management is allowed to treat people poorly. I was yelled at and cursed at on numerous times and upper management did nothing to fix the problem despite my making them aware of what was going on. Instead, management retaliated against me and made my time there a nightmare.

Listen to your employees when they raise concerns. If someone tells you that it is a hostile work environment, you should investigate.

This COULD have been a great company to work for.

Former Employee - Account Executive in Wilmington, NC
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Wilmington, NC

I worked at Raycom full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Everything that could be a pro, and everything that could be a con is completely dependent upon the General Manager of that particular station. I worked with a great group of people and management was very good too. The pay started very poorly, however over the years I was able to make that grow. Things such as time-off, raises, reviews, and even grievance (surprisingly) was usually OK, but still has to be approved. However, even when my own manager thought I should be paid more, promoted, or other, it usually needed unconditional consent of the General Manager. And, the truth of the matter is this. My

Cons

You are at the endless mercy of your "temporary" manager. I say temporary because they come and they go in this business. You may have one that encourages growth through positive reinforcement, and a week later you are answering to one that initiates micro-management policies. Fortunately for me, I have worked under the best GM and other managers, and unfortunately I have worked for some of the worst. The current GM where I once worked, is extremely vocal (and absolutely unpprofessional) about his political and religious point of view. Instilling in meetings how we should vote in the upcoming elections. He also seeked sales managers who liked to hammer on AE's (who are 100% commission based and supporting families) instead of finding those who understand the nature of sales.

HAVE ON THE RAYCOM WEBSITE AN ANNONOMOUS "SUGGESTION BOX" (with an are to present the problem AND solution) so that voices under the one incompetent GM can actually be heard. Without this you are missing an enormous amount of enthusiastic ideas that could result in company growth. Many of our ideas went unheard because we did not share out GM's political and religious point of views.

Read before you interview

I worked at Raycom full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I really enjoyed the staff that worked here. The people were great, the talent was great too. They definitely pick the best employees.

Cons

The turnover is much too high which brings morale down.

Management seems to blame the employees for not hitting budget and not working hard enough. We work like a slave here, constantly on new projects, cold calling, handling agency questions, handling preempts, handling customers who did not pay, working with production, working with accounting to get the credit apps approved (sometimes taking a month!). With all that being said, they still want more, no matter how good you do, it's greed. Then they fire all of our friends because they feel they are not producing enough. Listen, I know it's a "sales/marketing" job but perhaps the problem isn't the employees? Perhaps management should change their strategy and stop using the scare tactic. Try encouraging your staff instead of threatening them constantly. Oh and if you're being interviewed here, be sure you get an agency. If you have to work here and go after direct businesses, it's almost impossible to hit your budget.

Great first job, not worth sticking around

Former Employee - News Producer
    Former Employee - News Producer

I worked at Raycom full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great for getting your foot in the door/"real world" experience, easy to move up the ladder (permitting good work ethic), benefits

Cons

Way too corporate, no real management support, low pay, crazy hours, behind-the-scenes employees are rarely recognized or rewarded for their work, too focused on catering to the on-air talent, cheap, slow to follow new trends, very understaffed

Take care of your employees, be accessible, follow through on your word, hold employees equally accountable, address issues that need to be addressed instead of sweeping them under the rug, hire a full staff!

Corporate Pressure

I worked at Raycom full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The Raycom label gets you in the door

Cons

Commission percentages are awful compared to other companies. Probably over a 50% turnover rate with reps.

Treat employees like they're part of the company and not your minions