Raycom

Updated Jun 29, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Paul H. McTear Jr.

Great first job, not worth sticking around

News Producer (Former Employee)

ProsGreat for getting your foot in the door/"real world" experience, easy to move up the ladder (permitting good work ethic), benefits

ConsWay too corporate, no real management support, low pay, crazy hours, behind-the-scenes employees are rarely recognized or rewarded for their work, too focused on catering to the on-air talent, cheap, slow to follow new trends, very understaffed

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of your employees, be accessible, follow through on your word, hold employees equally accountable, address issues that need to be addressed instead of sweeping them under the rug, hire a full staff!

Corporate Pressure

Account Executive (Former Employee)

ProsThe Raycom label gets you in the door

ConsCommission percentages are awful compared to other companies. Probably over a 50% turnover rate with reps.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat employees like they're part of the company and not your minions

Inside Sales Representative

Inside Sales Representative (Current Employee)
    Columbia, SC

ProsFast paced influential and promotion based

ConsCold calling and time consuming

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Sales

Account Manager (Former Employee)
    Tucson, AZ

ProsKOLD is a CBS affiliate with great ratings. Raycom also helps pay for sales cell phones and mileage; a total of $100 per month. (Not great, but it helps!)

ConsVery poor leadership. Micromanagers who you cannot trust; they say one thing and do another and play mind games. Managers constantly lay blame with everyone except themselves.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to trust the people you hire. Give them goals, help them develop a plan, move any road blocks, then let the sales people do their thing! Senior management makes unreasonable demands of local management, and then everything rolls down hill.

Good People, Terrible Pay

Web Producer (Former Employee)
    Wilmington, NC

ProsHours are typical for a TV News Station, people were mostly friendly (except the on-air talent, their heads are wayy too big), good crew of people.

ConsPay is pretty pathetic for the amount of hours you put in.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think the station was managed well overall, but the corporate side should straighten things out.

Good for getting you're foot in the door of broadcasting

ProsGood benefits
    Hard working employees
    Move up pretty fast

ConsPay
    Management
    A little behind the times

Advice to Senior ManagementLet your employees contribute their ideas along with yours

it's a job...no money...

Reporter (Current Employee)
    Columbus, GA

ProsThe people are great. You become like a little family. When you're a college graduate living on the poverty line you have no choice but to grow close to people...you may need a meal.

ConsNo money. No real support. Very Corporate. No MONEY. You will not get paid what you're worth but you will get worked to death.

Advice to Senior Managementget a grip! Stop being so stingy with money. It's sad your reporters are considering applying for food stamps!

Account Executive

Account Executive (Former Employee)

ProsMidsize stations in many locations. Lots of opportunity for advancement for those that want to move up within the company. Decent benefits, good base for AE's to get started before they switch over to 100% commission. The company is embracing multi platform selling and non traditional avenues of income. Very strong digital presence. Commissions are good.

ConsBecause they are really good in certain markets the air time is bought up by national accounts. Can be difficult to get new local business on due to high rates, makes it hard for small businesses to afford. They do not have stations in large markets.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs in most companies, lots of different personalities in management. Communication can get muddled at times (different signals). Overall a good company to work for if you are willing to work hard.

Depends on your work ethic

Account Executive (Current Employee)
    Memphis, TN

ProsRaycom Media is a recognized in television industry and own 35+ stations in the Eastern part of the United States of America.

ConsIt depends on the station and the management; comission structures can change at any time; expect to work a minimum of 60 hours a week if you want to make any money and cover your draw.

I honestly couldn't be happier...most of the other reviews are far from that though, and I know why!!

IS Manager (Current Employee)
    Myrtle Beach, SC

ProsRaycom is a fantastic company with good employee values, awesomely cheap benefits, fair-market pay, financial stability, and a solid outlook towards the future of Broadcast Media. I have been in Broadcast IT for 5 years now, and I came from Media General which is a tanking company with all the wrong values, a horrible financial future (and present), and absolutely NO employee values. All these Raycom-bashing reviews on here are from Production staff which are a dime-a-dozen because of the high turnover...they don't realize that it isn't Raycom paying them that low, its the market pay for ANY broadcast media entity, and they just haven't done their homework. Furthermore, Raycom Corporate actually keeps their fingers off micro-managing stations (Media General, on the other hand, controlled every single detail!) and because of that, each station is its own entity and can adjust and mold to their specific market instead of a corporate-standardized setup which just doesn't work. (Media General again!) If you're in News Production then you will get paid bare-bones, but that applies in any broadcast media station...however, if you are on the Sales, Marketing, or Engineering side of things then a good-paying stable career is a real option that can provide you with fulfillment, new daily knowledge, and working for a company that actually does value its employees for what they are: The backbone of their business.

ConsEvery employer has cons, its a fact of life no matter how great the company may be. I could ask for a bonus structure in pay for Salaried employees, or a bump-up in 401K matching (its 1.5% matched right now, I think?) but those are nit-picking. There are limitations to how high you can climb in the company, but that's because the corporate side of things isn't really all that large and they have very low turnover in Alabama. Overall, in a very unstable financial market like today, I'd have to say Raycom is doing alright and is going to be around for a long while. You can't say that for a lot of companies nowadays.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management, for the most part, is doing their job well. I know, at least from the IT-side of things, that our CIO is awesome and is an exec that you can literally call on the phone and he will not only answer the call, but will help you with whatever you need...I can rattle off quite a few companies that an idea like that is insane! Corporate doesn't so-much have the "Holier-than-thou" attitude that other corporations I've worked for has, and I've even had a drink and chatted with CEO Paul McTear at an employee conference and he is the most down-to-earth executive I've ever met!

Worked for Raycom? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Raycom reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Raycom CEO Paul H. McTear Jr. All 23 reviews posted anonymously by Raycom employees.