Raymond James Financial Reviews

126 reviews filtered by
3.6
Raymond James Financial CEO Paul C. Reilly
Paul C. Reilly

Pros
  • Respected firm that offers a great work/life balance (in 8 reviews)

• Most of the departments are pretty laid back and everyone is easy to talk to (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Very low pay versus other companies in the research universe (in 5 reviews)

• Employees are expected to work long hours for no reward (in 4 reviews)

1. Great people, great work

Current Employee - Marketing in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Marketing in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Raymond James Financial

Pros

Young & energetic workforce in the marketing department

Cons

There were no cons that come to mind

2. Great company to work for...value their employees

Former Employee - Senior Staff Accountant in Saint Petersburg, FL
    Former Employee - Senior Staff Accountant in Saint Petersburg, FL

I worked at Raymond James Financial (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great opportunity for someone entering the job market for the first time.
    Corporate culture is continues to plan for future growth and expansion.

Cons

Occasionally observed several layers of management and tendency to micro-manage.

I worked at Raymond James Financial

Pros

Good People, Learning Experience, Good Corporate Office support, good office, convenient, fun co-workers, good food nearby, good hours

Cons

Small office, average compensation, didn't always break for lunch, parking was paid, the work could be repetitive.

5. Financial Advisor Trainee

Current Employee - Financial Advisor Trainee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor Trainee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Raymond James Financial full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Progressive and exciting work environment.

Cons

Somewhat hard to start off in the industry.

6. Great first job. However, not much room for movement.

Former Employee - Analyst in Saint Petersburg, FL
    Former Employee - Analyst in Saint Petersburg, FL

I worked at Raymond James Financial full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good salary and laid back leadership.

Cons

Career growth was very limited.

7. One particular branch-Okay company that is good, but has the capacity to be great.

Former Employee - Financial Planner in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Financial Planner in Denver, CO

I worked at Raymond James Financial full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They let me work a flexible schedule and the headquarters of Raymond James did have some advanced systems that our branch used.

Cons

one particular branch-Promotion of people with no training or experience; lack of clear leadership; Extremely high turnover with partners and employees.

Advice to Management

Take the time to pay for systems that make the job easier; pay for good managers that promote learning and career movement. Figure out how to keep partners from leaving.

Information Technology

Former Employee - Information Technology
    Former Employee - Information Technology

I worked at Raymond James Financial

Pros

The people actually doing the work are great.

Cons

Senior Leadership is not very good. Too many people trying to build their own little kingdoms within IT and don't really care about Raymond James IT as a whole. Too many people in middle management positions that should be asking "do you want fries with that?".

Advice to Management

Stream-line your staff and cut the unneeded. Also, stop trying to spend money on outsourcing and believe in the good people that you do have there. Use them! Find a true CTO.

9. Growing company

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Saint Petersburg, FL
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Saint Petersburg, FL

I have been working at Raymond James Financial as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Raymond James is a company that is growing rapidly with a great outlook for the future. The company culture is conservative, and employees have a good work-life balance.

Cons

Due to the rapid growth, communication between departments has become difficult, and the departments often have little idea what goes on outside of their own respective areas. Growth opportunities are limited (although this will vary between departments) and salaries have not kept pace with competition. While it is highly dependent which department you work within, the environment (as may be the case anywhere) is a political one, and there is a fair amount of nepotism.

Advice to Management

If the management is interested in increasing efficiency, there needs to be more communication between upper management. Adjusting salary to be more competitive with other jobs in the area will decrease turnover.

Horrible company to work for

Former Employee - IT Technologist in Saint Petersburg, FL
    Former Employee - IT Technologist in Saint Petersburg, FL

I worked at Raymond James Financial full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Located in a beautiful location of Florida.

Cons

Management in the IT area is horrible. They frequently have employees do overtime without any comp time or monetary compensation which is illegal. Some teams in IT would get comp days for their Disaster Recovery testing (which ran from Friday night through Sunday) but some teams, such as mine, did not get any comp time - we had one stretch where we worked literally 3 weeks straight without a day off and was told by our manager to "belly up to the bar." This was fully supported by upper management. I also have several friends from the company who were very dedicated who would get negative performance reviews for projects that could not get finished due to dependencies from other groups not being delivered, all being acknowledged by the manager...but in the end would tell my friend too bad so sad, doesn't matter if another department prevented you from completing the project in time. Many promises were made to me for my job, none of which were delivered. Backstabbing was a frequent occurrence from those who were there before me. I found out that many people in my industry avoid this company like the plague. They frequently compare themselves to the Goldman Sachs and JP Morgans of the world but they are nowhere near that level.

We were expected to user our personal cell phones for IT support - my co-worker ran up $300 in cell phone usage one month and was told by the manager that it was "part of the job." I know of NO company on Wall Street that would ever expect a worker to pay for cell phone overage as part of the job. We had a group cell phone that was for the person on call - unfortunately the carrier that was used had very poor reception where I lived. As a result I frequently did not get support calls and was berated by management for not having good cell phone reception. In a real world class organization (such as Credit Suisse where I've worked) they would have multiple carriers for their cell phones and you would simply be issued a phone with better coverage than what you had. But not Raymond James, instead you were expected to use your own cell phone and accrue hundreds in cell phone overage charges.

Advice to Management

They need to do a complete overhaul of the management. I can't think of anything other than cleaning house with the entrenched network there that would make it a good place to work.

11. Good people, Low Pay

Former Employee - Compliance Specialist I in Saint Petersburg, FL
    Former Employee - Compliance Specialist I in Saint Petersburg, FL

I worked at Raymond James Financial full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Everyone besides the RJA Fixed Income Compliance group were great people. Compliance is just way too boring.

Cons

Boring work, low pay, bad Director of Compliance Fixed Income

Advice to Management

not much to share

Raymond James Financial Photos

A conference room at RJ. Great art is everywhere at RJ.
Halloween is a fun time at RJ. Hallways and offices transform.
Symphony under the Stars at RJ stadium. A free benefit for all employees, family, and friends.

+ Add Photo