Raymond James Financial

Updated December 22, 2014
3.6

Raymond James Financial CEO Paul C. Reilly
Paul C. Reilly

Pros
  • Respected firm that offers a great work/life balance (in 8 reviews)

• Most of the departments are pretty laid back and everyone is easy to talk to (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Very low pay versus other companies in the research universe (in 5 reviews)

• Employees are expected to work long hours for no reward (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Milk the Benefits

I have been working at Raymond James Financial full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP). Buy stock at 15% off. Hold it for one year, sell it for long term capital gains (lower tax rate). Buy back even more shares. I have averaged an extra $10,000 per year of long term capital gains over the past three years.

Tuition Reimbursement: RJF paid for my Masters degree. Plus you get a 20% tax credit on your income tax. I made a profit getting my Masters.

Cons

Their conservative philosophy works well for investing; but lousy for management. They need to take more risks in people.

Be daring. You cannot be both innovative and conservative at the same time. Go back to our old "Work, Work, Play" culture. New ideas emerge when people have fun on company time by exploring new areas with no apparent return on investment. They may discover something new. They may not. However, discouraging play at work will result in no new ideas.

Great culture, stability, and experience awaits smart employees at RJ

Current Employee - Middle Manager in Saint Petersburg, FL
    Current Employee - Middle Manager in Saint Petersburg, FL

I have been working at Raymond James Financial full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I love working at Raymond James. It's a company that works hard to follow a set of principles towards clients and employees. In most every way, RJ doesn't just talk the talk, they walk the walk. When they talk about putting the client first, it's ingrained in the lexicon, processes, and approach. Everyone thinks it, and does their best to live up to it.

Pay isn't the best in the industry, but it's good for our geography. And for a decade, I've seen the people that perform the best, get rewarded in salary and responsibility.

The company strongly supports giving back to the community, with many dozens of charitable events and projects going on across the firm every year. In the department I worked in, there were ongoing, sanctioned committees to make available charitable activities for the department, and everyone was given some time off to participate directly, such as food warehouse stocking, holiday 'adoptions', helping the unemployed with resume and interview skills.

The firm, from the groups I've worked with across a decade, generally do not have gossipy, unproductive environments. There's not an abundance of debilitating tension or conflict. Everyone is excited about doing a great job, serving worthy clients and partners, and working with a great group of peers.

There are many, many roles you can pursue at RJ. I've seen employees go from role to role, department to department, as they round out their skills. Technology, finance, marketing, operations, there's plenty of internal career options. I would, and have, recommended to many friends and family to work at RJ. We're having a blast and providing an important service to clients.

Benefits are full, extra perk of top financial advisor for every employee, and good company stock program for all. Also, RJ as a business has been amazing, 105+ consecutive quarters of growth. That means security, stability, growth of your stock options, team, and opportunities.

Cons

Nepotism, is encouraged at RJ. There are quite a few husband and wife teams, and brothers, sisters, working at RJ. That can be a pro or a con, but I've never had a problem with it.

The firm is very conservative with investing in innovation and digital technologies. There are numerous core functions that go without attention at RJ, likely alone among their peers. Many of these functions I wouldn't run a small business without, and yet RJ doesn't invest in the basics. In some areas, RJ is absolutely the leader in their industry, and there are always new technologies to learn and grow. But even still, big holes remain as the company grows methodically.

Some micromanagement at dept head level. Not many middle managers are given full P&L responsibility.

Focus on merit, and walk the walk. It shouldn't matter whether someone went to Harvard or not because their finances or family situation was not amenable. If they the brains, tools, and ambition, that should get as much interest as anyone else. All bright, ambitions people of a certain caliber should be eligible to appy for the A2C position. There's a clique among the large number of A2C's that have been handed prominent positions in the firm, and if you aren't part of that group, it can be harder to compete. If the A2C program is helpful, then at least allow current employees to apply for the position so we're not boxed in and dis-incentivized to go long with RJ.

Good

I have been working at Raymond James Financial

Pros

Used to be great, "service first" mentality towards both clients and employees

Cons

Not anymore. No regard for anything but profits.

Amazing company while former CEO, Tom James was at the helm. Since leaving, culture has died.

Former Employee - Compliance Advisor in Saint Petersburg, FL
    Former Employee - Compliance Advisor in Saint Petersburg, FL

I worked at Raymond James Financial

Pros

Great people, opportunity for advancement, good culture

Cons

Culture changing -- people are no longer a part of the company's strategy. All about profit and growth.

Don't forget that people is what made this company great.

Short , self-taught and somewhat chaotic.

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Wayzata, MN
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Wayzata, MN

I worked at Raymond James Financial full-time (less than an year)

Pros

A lot of resources when contacting the back office.

Cons

No other in-house assistant, trainers, resources are all out of state in the back office. First day of work involves teaching your self how to get an employee ID and password to log into your computer, though these resources are found in your computer's directory. .

Training should be provided in-house (more than one time) by someone who knows the elements of the role in first stages, not self-taught.

Great place to work, I am very happy there.

I have been working at Raymond James Financial full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very culture friendly, family like atmosphere.

Cons

The cost of living here is a little lower, so we tend to be on the lower side of the pay scale.

Former Employee - Intern
    Former Employee - Intern

I worked at Raymond James Financial as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

A paycheck
    Great artwork selection throughout the hallways
    Good cafeteria food
    Never had trouble finding a parking spot
    Casual Fridays

Cons

No training or mentoring provided
    No exposure to discernible skills
    If you took initiative and err, you were scolded for not asking. If you asked, you were scolded for not knowing.
    Low morale high-stress environment due to layoffs
    No job security many jobs going the contractor route meaning low pay and no benefits

Set out clear expectations for interns and have a better plan on how to utilize them. If you don’t provide a positive experience, don’t expect to retain them afterwards. Then again, perhaps this is what they want, quick cheap labor to keep the boat afloat.

They don't stand brokers

Former Employee - Branch Manager in Delray Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Branch Manager in Delray Beach, FL

I worked at Raymond James Financial full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I don't have any -

Cons

They don't stand behind their brokers at all.

Poor management and no leadership

Current Employee - Compliance Analyst in Saint Petersburg, FL
    Current Employee - Compliance Analyst in Saint Petersburg, FL

I have been working at Raymond James Financial full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

People (non-management) are very friendly. Good benefits.

Cons

Low salaries that are barely adjusted regardless of profitability and economic condition. Company has grown from a family-run company to a generic cut-throat, backstabbing corporation.

Go back to your roots.

Pay isnt comparable

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Raymond James Financial (more than 5 years)

Pros

Stability, good retirement benefits, cafe on site, convenient location

Cons

Pay is not equitable to any job in any other financial company

Pay more ans could recruit and keep the talent

Raymond James Financial Photos

A conference room at RJ. Great art is everywhere at RJ.
Halloween is a fun time at RJ. Hallways and offices transform.
Symphony under the Stars at RJ stadium. A free benefit for all employees, family, and friends.

+ Add Photo