Raymond James Financial Reviews

Updated April 21, 2015
128 reviews filtered by

Horrible company to work for

Former Employee - IT Technologist in Saint Petersburg, FL
    Former Employee - IT Technologist in Saint Petersburg, FL

I worked at Raymond James Financial full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Located in a beautiful location of Florida.

Cons

Management in the IT area is horrible. They frequently have employees do overtime without any comp time or monetary compensation which is illegal. Some teams in IT would get comp days for their Disaster Recovery testing (which ran from Friday night through Sunday) but some teams, such as mine, did not get any comp time - we had one stretch where we worked literally 3 weeks straight without a day off and was told by our manager to "belly up to the bar." This was fully supported by upper management. I also have several friends from the company who were very dedicated who would get negative performance reviews for projects that could not get finished due to dependencies from other groups not being delivered, all being acknowledged by the manager...but in the end would tell my friend too bad so sad, doesn't matter if another department prevented you from completing the project in time. Many promises were made to me for my job, none of which were delivered. Backstabbing was a frequent occurrence from those who were there before me. I found out that many people in my industry avoid this company like the plague. They frequently compare themselves to the Goldman Sachs and JP Morgans of the world but they are nowhere near that level.

We were expected to user our personal cell phones for IT support - my co-worker ran up $300 in cell phone usage one month and was told by the manager that it was "part of the job." I know of NO company on Wall Street that would ever expect a worker to pay for cell phone overage as part of the job. We had a group cell phone that was for the person on call - unfortunately the carrier that was used had very poor reception where I lived. As a result I frequently did not get support calls and was berated by management for not having good cell phone reception. In a real world class organization (such as Credit Suisse where I've worked) they would have multiple carriers for their cell phones and you would simply be issued a phone with better coverage than what you had. But not Raymond James, instead you were expected to use your own cell phone and accrue hundreds in cell phone overage charges.

Advice to Management

They need to do a complete overhaul of the management. I can't think of anything other than cleaning house with the entrenched network there that would make it a good place to work.

2. Good people, Low Pay

Former Employee - Compliance Specialist I in Saint Petersburg, FL
    Former Employee - Compliance Specialist I in Saint Petersburg, FL

I worked at Raymond James Financial full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone besides the RJA Fixed Income Compliance group were great people. Compliance is just way too boring.

Cons

Boring work, low pay, bad Director of Compliance Fixed Income

Advice to Management

not much to share

3. With education you could do just as well for yourself with fees and unethical actions.

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Raymond James Financial full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Grow your money even when market goes down.

Cons

Management is purely money driven by any means ethical on non ethical.

5. Great opportunity to experience the Investment Banking world and learn about what "a day in the life" is like

Former Intern - M&A Intern in Memphis, TN
    Former Intern - M&A Intern in Memphis, TN

I worked at Raymond James Financial as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

-Access to senior members
    -Given responsibilities

Cons

-Eating at desk
    - Plenty of menial work

Advice to Management

Taking half hour lunch away from desk would provide chance to recharge and regain focus in the afternoon.

6. Great place to start career

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Petersburg, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Petersburg, FL

I have been working at Raymond James Financial full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

sense of family/community culture
    many events provided by resource groups
    many opportunities for involvement in community
    cafeteria
    conservative company, but also becomes a con
    constantly growing, stable
    many associates have been here for most of their career, 20 or 30+ years
    benefits, profit sharing, 401k, stock ownership

Cons

on boarding process very slow, I've heard it take some associates almost weeks to get computer/access ready to go
    constantly feel understaffed and overworked
    conservative company, so they won't hire new people when you feel you need it most, also the pay/raises are thereby conservative
    somewhat political culture, even when you do move up, pay is minimal
    long hours is the norm

Advice to Management

Conservative seems to work for us as a whole, but to a fault of the individuals.

Milk the Benefits

I have been working at Raymond James Financial full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP). Buy stock at 15% off. Hold it for one year, sell it for long term capital gains (lower tax rate). Buy back even more shares. I have averaged an extra $10,000 per year of long term capital gains over the past three years.

Tuition Reimbursement: RJF paid for my Masters degree. Plus you get a 20% tax credit on your income tax. I made a profit getting my Masters.

Cons

Their conservative philosophy works well for investing; but lousy for management. They need to take more risks in people.

Advice to Management

Be daring. You cannot be both innovative and conservative at the same time. Go back to our old "Work, Work, Play" culture. New ideas emerge when people have fun on company time by exploring new areas with no apparent return on investment. They may discover something new. They may not. However, discouraging play at work will result in no new ideas.

8. Great culture, stability, and experience awaits smart employees at RJ

Current Employee - Middle Manager in Saint Petersburg, FL
    Current Employee - Middle Manager in Saint Petersburg, FL

I have been working at Raymond James Financial full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I love working at Raymond James. It's a company that works hard to follow a set of principles towards clients and employees. In most every way, RJ doesn't just talk the talk, they walk the walk. When they talk about putting the client first, it's ingrained in the lexicon, processes, and approach. Everyone thinks it, and does their best to live up to it.

Pay isn't the best in the industry, but it's good for our geography. And for a decade, I've seen the people that perform the best, get rewarded in salary and responsibility.

The company strongly supports giving back to the community, with many dozens of charitable events and projects going on across the firm every year. In the department I worked in, there were ongoing, sanctioned committees to make available charitable activities for the department, and everyone was given some time off to participate directly, such as food warehouse stocking, holiday 'adoptions', helping the unemployed with resume and interview skills.

The firm, from the groups I've worked with across a decade, generally do not have gossipy, unproductive environments. There's not an abundance of debilitating tension or conflict. Everyone is excited about doing a great job, serving worthy clients and partners, and working with a great group of peers.

There are many, many roles you can pursue at RJ. I've seen employees go from role to role, department to department, as they round out their skills. Technology, finance, marketing, operations, there's plenty of internal career options. I would, and have, recommended to many friends and family to work at RJ. We're having a blast and providing an important service to clients.

Benefits are full, extra perk of top financial advisor for every employee, and good company stock program for all. Also, RJ as a business has been amazing, 105+ consecutive quarters of growth. That means security, stability, growth of your stock options, team, and opportunities.

Cons

Nepotism, is encouraged at RJ. There are quite a few husband and wife teams, and brothers, sisters, working at RJ. That can be a pro or a con, but I've never had a problem with it.

The firm is very conservative with investing in innovation and digital technologies. There are numerous core functions that go without attention at RJ, likely alone among their peers. Many of these functions I wouldn't run a small business without, and yet RJ doesn't invest in the basics. In some areas, RJ is absolutely the leader in their industry, and there are always new technologies to learn and grow. But even still, big holes remain as the company grows methodically.

Some micromanagement at dept head level. Not many middle managers are given full P&L responsibility.

Advice to Management

Focus on merit, and walk the walk. It shouldn't matter whether someone went to Harvard or not because their finances or family situation was not amenable. If they the brains, tools, and ambition, that should get as much interest as anyone else. All bright, ambitions people of a certain caliber should be eligible to appy for the A2C position. There's a clique among the large number of A2C's that have been handed prominent positions in the firm, and if you aren't part of that group, it can be harder to compete. If the A2C program is helpful, then at least allow current employees to apply for the position so we're not boxed in and dis-incentivized to go long with RJ.

Good

I have been working at Raymond James Financial

Pros

Used to be great, "service first" mentality towards both clients and employees

Cons

Not anymore. No regard for anything but profits.

10. Amazing company while former CEO, Tom James was at the helm. Since leaving, culture has died.

Former Employee - Compliance Advisor in Saint Petersburg, FL
    Former Employee - Compliance Advisor in Saint Petersburg, FL

I worked at Raymond James Financial

Pros

Great people, opportunity for advancement, good culture

Cons

Culture changing -- people are no longer a part of the company's strategy. All about profit and growth.

Advice to Management

Don't forget that people is what made this company great.

11. Short , self-taught and somewhat chaotic.

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Wayzata, MN
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Wayzata, MN

I worked at Raymond James Financial full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A lot of resources when contacting the back office.

Cons

No other in-house assistant, trainers, resources are all out of state in the back office. First day of work involves teaching your self how to get an employee ID and password to log into your computer, though these resources are found in your computer's directory. .

Advice to Management

Training should be provided in-house (more than one time) by someone who knows the elements of the role in first stages, not self-taught.

Raymond James Financial Photos

A conference room at RJ. Great art is everywhere at RJ.
Halloween is a fun time at RJ. Hallways and offices transform.
Symphony under the Stars at RJ stadium. A free benefit for all employees, family, and friends.

+ Add Photo