Raymond James

Great Internship

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Saint Petersburg, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Petersburg, FL

I worked at Raymond James as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Great working atmosphere, Very good training program for summer interns,
    Gave interns an opportunity to meet differnt member of management.

Cons

I would have liked to work in several departments during my internship instead of just one. This would have enabled me to learn mor about the compant and to help me find an area that fit me best.

Perhaps the most backwards immoral organization I've ever encountered, and I've been on the Street for 20 years

I worked at Raymond James full-time for more than a year

Pros

Some truly great people, at least until the Morgan Keegan merger. Very collegial. Also, they treat their retail brokers very well, according to most of them.

Cons

As for anyone else, it's a crap shoot, and has more to do with how much you suck up to whoever happens to be in ascendancy at the moment. The most pathetic parody of a power system I've ever seen, and I've been on the Street for 20 years. The Morgan Keegan merger killed the last good thing that ever existed at RJ.

Do your shareholders a favor, and sell to somebody who actually knows how to run a regional investment bank. Because that's what you are, all pretensions aside. Every regional that tried to become a major player has failed. Every one. Most have been absorbed by commercial banks, never to be seen again. Really, really good investment banks are no longer with us. Alex Brown, McDonald & Company (once described by Fortune as the "Goldman Sachs of the Midwest"), Legg Mason, even a little one like Scott & Stringfellow, and many more, all gone. Stick to what you know, do it better than anyone else, and you'll reward your partners (probably shareholders now).

Great experience

Current Employee - Auditor  in  Saint Pete, FL
    Current Employee - Auditor in Saint Pete, FL

I have been working at Raymond James full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great and challenging work environment.

Cons

No bad experiences to date.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Small town feel with Wallstreet power.

I have been working at Raymond James

Pros

This is a great company.

Cons

I don't really have any Con's

Advisor client relationship comes first

I have been working at Raymond James full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Unlike Merrill, Goldman etc. clients are not gouged.

Cons

Very little name recognition relative to some similar sized firms.

Good Company Bad Management

Former Employee - Marketing Manager  in  Saint Petersburg, FL
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Saint Petersburg, FL

I worked at Raymond James full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The company was fantastic, had a real sense of community to it, and a clear commitment to its roots and value statement. It made working there day to day bearable and almost enjoyable. There was a real feeling everyone was trying to do what was in the clients best interest.

Cons

Management held on to certain elements of culture and aspects of their structure that inhibit real career growth. Nepotism trumps merit, they are slow to react to new changes in the industry, and lack a real appreciation for their employees. Their salaries are behind the industry standard, their head quarters lacks amenities common in other companies (such as a gym or free cafeteria), and there is a general dissatisfaction amongst the employees because of this. When it was brought up to management their response was to throw pizza parties and dismiss the complaints. Their lack of response and genuine concern coupled with the fact that nepotism makes advancement almost impossible unless you are next in line makes a long term future there difficult to envision for anyone. When I was there people either came in and left after 2-4 years or were there for 30 years. Sadly their position and rank had nothing to do with their work or experience.

Focus on merit based career development, reduce your overhead and redundancies in staff by streamlining processes with technology and use those funds to pay your employees better. Start by using a basic investment to improve amenities. Its great you have art throughout the building but that doesnt compare to a company offering a gym, transport benefit, and free food.

RJ

Current Employee - Business Analyst  in  Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Raymond James full-time for more than a year

Pros

Stable company that supports employees any way it can.

Cons

Defined structure of employment will need exceptional effort to move from one strata to another

None.

Friendly working environment.

Former Employee - Financial Advisor  in  Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Raymond James as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Good teamwork and had experienced coworkers willing to help when needed. While at the same time giving you the same to learn and do your job.

Cons

Mostly a positive experience, the only con would be that at times employees lacked basic knowledge and understanding in related fields that at times may have limited the firms production.

Lied to, cheated, and stolen from

Former Employee - Financial Advisor  in  Columbia, SC
    Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Columbia, SC

I worked at Raymond James full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good reformance on their portfolios, Good technology that enabled users to see and find data, Good research including going sell side in real estate.

Cons

Compensation plan changed 3 in 3 years. Principal mangement low balled pay continuosly and had 17 compliance issues until they finally had him step back out of managment but it took them too long and too weak a change. The new principal was all company man and pay was not a lot better - still half on what I earned at other places. The company man ployed a course to steal clients and had "just cause". I had just come from a place with Zero (0) tolerance on compliance issues and management was anything but weak

Ship up or ship out management at the branch regional level.

Unstable with very little direction.

I worked at Raymond James as a contractor

Pros

My co-workers were nice and helpful.

Cons

IT Management has no clue as to which direction they are heading. You can't effectively run a company by only looking at operational cost. Without good IT people for support, the core business won't run smoothly no matter how much business is brought in.

Stop looking at everything from a cost savings perspective and think about your employees.
    Loyalty has to go both ways.

Worked for Raymond James? Contribute to the Community!