Raymond James

Updated Apr 8, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

John Carson, Jr

Small town feel with Wallstreet power.

I have been working at Raymond James

ProsThis is a great company.

ConsI don't really have any Con's

Advisor client relationship comes first

I have been working at Raymond James full-time for more than 5 years

ProsUnlike Merrill, Goldman etc. clients are not gouged.

ConsVery little name recognition relative to some similar sized firms.

Good Company Bad Management

Marketing Manager (Former Employee)
Saint Petersburg, FL

I worked at Raymond James full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe company was fantastic, had a real sense of community to it, and a clear commitment to its roots and value statement. It made working there day to day bearable and almost enjoyable. There was a real feeling everyone was trying to do what was in the clients best interest.

ConsManagement held on to certain elements of culture and aspects of their structure that inhibit real career growth. Nepotism trumps merit, they are slow to react to new changes in the industry, and lack a real appreciation for their employees. Their salaries are behind the industry standard, their head quarters lacks amenities common in other companies (such as a gym or free cafeteria), and there is a general dissatisfaction amongst the employees because of this. When it was brought up to management their response was to throw pizza parties and dismiss the complaints. Their lack of response and genuine concern coupled with the fact that nepotism makes advancement almost impossible unless you are next in line makes a long term future there difficult to envision for anyone. When I was there people either came in and left after 2-4 years or were there for 30 years. Sadly their position and rank had nothing to do with their work or experience.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on merit based career development, reduce your overhead and redundancies in staff by streamlining processes with technology and use those funds to pay your employees better. Start by using a basic investment to improve amenities. Its great you have art throughout the building but that doesnt compare to a company offering a gym, transport benefit, and free food.

RJ

Business Analyst (Current Employee)
Tampa, FL

I have been working at Raymond James full-time for more than a year

ProsStable company that supports employees any way it can.

ConsDefined structure of employment will need exceptional effort to move from one strata to another

Advice to Senior ManagementNone.

Friendly working environment.

Financial Advisor (Former Employee)
Baltimore, MD

I worked at Raymond James as an intern for less than a year

ProsGood teamwork and had experienced coworkers willing to help when needed. While at the same time giving you the same to learn and do your job.

ConsMostly a positive experience, the only con would be that at times employees lacked basic knowledge and understanding in related fields that at times may have limited the firms production.

Lied to, cheated, and stolen from

Financial Advisor (Former Employee)
Columbia, SC

I worked at Raymond James full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood reformance on their portfolios, Good technology that enabled users to see and find data, Good research including going sell side in real estate.

ConsCompensation plan changed 3 in 3 years. Principal mangement low balled pay continuosly and had 17 compliance issues until they finally had him step back out of managment but it took them too long and too weak a change. The new principal was all company man and pay was not a lot better - still half on what I earned at other places. The company man ployed a course to steal clients and had "just cause". I had just come from a place with Zero (0) tolerance on compliance issues and management was anything but weak

Advice to Senior ManagementShip up or ship out management at the branch regional level.

Unstable with very little direction.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Raymond James as a contractor

ProsMy co-workers were nice and helpful.

ConsIT Management has no clue as to which direction they are heading. You can't effectively run a company by only looking at operational cost. Without good IT people for support, the core business won't run smoothly no matter how much business is brought in.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop looking at everything from a cost savings perspective and think about your employees.
Loyalty has to go both ways.

I worked for Raymond James

Branch Administrator (Former Employee)
Stony Plain, AB (Canada)

I worked at Raymond James full-time

ProsMonday thru Friday hours with weekends off excellent hours and employer was ethical and fair. Good employer to work for. I never had a problem with getting my lunch breaks and any issues I had were handled with respect and resolved to my satisfaction.

ConsNothing worth mentioning, employer was easy going and just expected a good work ethic so clients get the best service

Advice to Senior ManagementThank you for allowing me to rate the company

RJ workplace in Saint pete

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Raymond James

ProsSenior management is mostly solid

ConsMiddle management...some good, some bad.

Great place to work

Intern (Former Employee)
Tampa, FL

I worked at Raymond James as an intern for more than a year

ProsGreat culture. Cares about employees.The compensation is also good. It can be a great place to network if working at the headquarters in Tampa.

ConsSome areas of the firm can be hard to move up in.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow more oppurtunities for advancement within the the firm

Worked for Raymond James? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Raymond James reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Raymond James CEO John Carson, Jr. All 17 reviews posted anonymously by Raymond James employees.