Raymond James Reviews

Updated February 18, 2015
24 reviews filtered by
4.0
John Carson, Jr

1. An intern working with a family member. I mostly did work in organizing portfolios and sitting in on client meetings.

Former Employee - Financial Advisor Intern in Marlton, NJ
    Former Employee - Financial Advisor Intern in Marlton, NJ

I worked at Raymond James

Pros

Close-knit environment, compensation, good company culture, and room for promotions.

Cons

Long hours and a somewhat unenthusiastic environment

2. Fixed Income Research Intern

Former Intern - Fixed Income Research in Memphis, TN
    Former Intern - Fixed Income Research in Memphis, TN

I worked at Raymond James as an intern

Pros

Friendly people; Good access to senior leaders; Professional environment

Cons

Not given enough challenging work; Name recognition not as strong as many other banks

Solid internship; Would recommend to others

Excellent mix of large corporation and small boutique firm.

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Raymond James

Pros

Plenty of autonomy. Changing and improving upper management. Pro-business complaince. Supportive technology team. Advancement of female employees.

Cons

Some internal politics. Greenwashing. Undeveloped training. Low standards for new FAs.

Focus on the 80/20 rule. Top producers could use more support.

Welcome to the Yellow Brick Road of Raymond James!

Former Contractor - Mutual Funds Associate in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Former Contractor - Mutual Funds Associate in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I worked at Raymond James as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Ideal location, eating area, competitive pay and genuine kindness. Office culture is eccentric.

Merge here! Life is a Journey not a Destination.
    Typical day flies by the seat of your pants. Management loves you and is not afraid to show it. Keep an eye out for the nuances as it may not seem like it. Be sure to reciprocate! Plenty of opportunities and offers to advance whether you like it or not. Co-workers are a mixed bag of goodies. So sweet, they will give you cavities. Hardest part is learning the info, software and processes. Keep at it and you will come out...on top. Watch out for the lightning quick sense of humour or you will miss it! Dorothy, you are not in Kansas anymore. Take a seat, stay and enjoy the ride to this road less traveled!

Cons

If they like you, they will keep you...forever! More training or job aids regarding processes and software learning.

Have an open mind. Not everything is what it seems.

6. Great Internship

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Saint Petersburg, FL
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Saint Petersburg, FL

I worked at Raymond James as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Great working atmosphere, Very good training program for summer interns,
    Gave interns an opportunity to meet differnt member of management.

Cons

I would have liked to work in several departments during my internship instead of just one. This would have enabled me to learn mor about the compant and to help me find an area that fit me best.

Perhaps the most backwards immoral organization I've ever encountered, and I've been on the Street for 20 years

I worked at Raymond James full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Some truly great people, at least until the Morgan Keegan merger. Very collegial. Also, they treat their retail brokers very well, according to most of them.

Cons

As for anyone else, it's a crap shoot, and has more to do with how much you suck up to whoever happens to be in ascendancy at the moment. The most pathetic parody of a power system I've ever seen, and I've been on the Street for 20 years. The Morgan Keegan merger killed the last good thing that ever existed at RJ.

Do your shareholders a favor, and sell to somebody who actually knows how to run a regional investment bank. Because that's what you are, all pretensions aside. Every regional that tried to become a major player has failed. Every one. Most have been absorbed by commercial banks, never to be seen again. Really, really good investment banks are no longer with us. Alex Brown, McDonald & Company (once described by Fortune as the "Goldman Sachs of the Midwest"), Legg Mason, even a little one like Scott & Stringfellow, and many more, all gone. Stick to what you know, do it better than anyone else, and you'll reward your partners (probably shareholders now).

8. Great experience

Current Employee - Auditor in Saint Pete, FL
    Current Employee - Auditor in Saint Pete, FL

I have been working at Raymond James full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great and challenging work environment.

Cons

No bad experiences to date.

9. Small town feel with Wallstreet power.

I have been working at Raymond James

Pros

This is a great company.

Cons

I don't really have any Con's

Advisor client relationship comes first

I have been working at Raymond James full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Unlike Merrill, Goldman etc. clients are not gouged.

Cons

Very little name recognition relative to some similar sized firms.

Good Company Bad Management

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Saint Petersburg, FL
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Saint Petersburg, FL

I worked at Raymond James full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company was fantastic, had a real sense of community to it, and a clear commitment to its roots and value statement. It made working there day to day bearable and almost enjoyable. There was a real feeling everyone was trying to do what was in the clients best interest.

Cons

Management held on to certain elements of culture and aspects of their structure that inhibit real career growth. Nepotism trumps merit, they are slow to react to new changes in the industry, and lack a real appreciation for their employees. Their salaries are behind the industry standard, their head quarters lacks amenities common in other companies (such as a gym or free cafeteria), and there is a general dissatisfaction amongst the employees because of this. When it was brought up to management their response was to throw pizza parties and dismiss the complaints. Their lack of response and genuine concern coupled with the fact that nepotism makes advancement almost impossible unless you are next in line makes a long term future there difficult to envision for anyone. When I was there people either came in and left after 2-4 years or were there for 30 years. Sadly their position and rank had nothing to do with their work or experience.

Focus on merit based career development, reduce your overhead and redundancies in staff by streamlining processes with technology and use those funds to pay your employees better. Start by using a basic investment to improve amenities. Its great you have art throughout the building but that doesnt compare to a company offering a gym, transport benefit, and free food.