Raymour & Flanigan

Be The First To
Add Photos

Raymour & Flanigan President and CEO Neil Goldberg

Neil Goldberg

Pros
  • good benefits, good income, good owners(in 5 reviews)

• There are some good people working here, so you can build relationships(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours and you work every Holiday and weekend(in 12 reviews)

• Week management that allows fellow sales associates to do things that hurt their fellow(in 7 reviews)

It is what you make it - you can't say that about most jobs

Furniture Sales Consultant (Current Employee) Amherst, NY

ProsVery reputable company, so it's easy to sell comparatively superior customer service, quality of products and dependability for customers. I can only sell what I believe in, and after researching furniture sales in my area, this was the only place I applied. Despite some griping from coworkers (and I disregard such uninformed complaints since I came from owning my own small business and know something about how much hard work counts) here you do truly own your own potential. You can increase your income as you desire with hard work and talent. A big plus for me is the pleasant physical environment, at least in my own showroom, one of the top full line showrooms.

ConsDisconnect between sales floor experience and management's sometimes lame attempts to improve sales. I am sure it varies among stores as management varies, and it really is not THAT bad at my location, but it changes better or worse as management with more or less experience and insight come and go. This is not a problem unique to this company, and it is probably less a problem here than at many corporations, because many of the management personnel here are promoted from within the sales force. It is more of a problem for many other companies where the management is trying to improve performance without deep understanding of what is happening on ground zero.. So.... my advice is for those who start as sales here with aspirations to management.... you will be a better manager if you get a good grounding, and even better if you have the insight and empathy to propose actions that will produce results you want.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't sweat the small stuff and don't make draconian rules for everyone because you are reluctant to confront the real offenders who are likely the top ones who pad your paycheck or give you special help with their knowledge. We all see how you don't want to call them out individually for abuse of rules. We know we are being punished unfairly for their excess. Also, please see the big picture of your future paycheck and better encourage the rare new talented hires. They can make you more $ in the future if properly developed. (Not to say that I myself have not been encouraged, but then, I knew how to encourage the encouragement :)

A good management career with decent pay, but no life outside of work due to terrible retail hours!

Anonymous (Current Employee)

ProsEnjoy selling good products at affordable prices. Each day is a new experience, always changing sales environment.

ConsLong retail hours with way too many sales on top of all holidays & weekends. No social life outside of work. No place for people with kids. Feel guilty when you take time off.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more considerate and follow your mission "treat our people well and they will treat our customers well." Saying it is easy, but doing it is another thing.

Love My Job Love the people I work with

Customer Care (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsFriendly atmosphere People are nice

ConsSalary is terrible and raises are very minimal

Advice to Senior ManagementGive people the raises they deserve. Live by guiding principles "Treat people Fairly..."

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Lost time

Sales Associate (Former Employee)

ProsGood selection of furniture. Company advertises to bring in customers so the name is out there.
    Well cared for showroom

ConsNo product or sales training ever. Week management that allows fellow sales associates to do things that hurt their fellow sales associates. They also play favorites. Again no coaching. Too many sales associates at any
    given time. There are days when you only get one or two customers and then go back on line to wait out the day.
    This fosters an atmosphere of cut throat tactics among the sales associates and management looks the other way.
    Long hours and you work every Holiday and weekend.
    Sales associates are allowed to work in other locations especially if they are trying to achieve the top sales goals. How do you think the sales associates feel in that location when they themselves have an over crowded sales floor?

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more flexible in hours and even out the schedule. Build product knowledge and sales training to develop a more confident staff. Be a manger not a puppet.

A Good Opportunity for those who are willing to put forth the effort!

Home Furnishing Consultant (Current Employee) Brick, NJ

ProsCompensation, advertising support from corporate, compassionate genuine camaraderie among co-workers as well as store management. Corporate atmosphere which has clear attainable directives. Accessible, direct contact and involvement from the corporation owners.

ConsLong hours. Overlapping sales & promos diluting the urgency of the public's need to purchase during the event.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep your positive outlook and approach to mentoring staff with hands on involvement to closing business and advancing skills.

Disappointing experience. RUN!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWeek days off to look for different employment. Met many new friends while working there we stay in touch. Easy to sell products, three day delivery. Can make money of you are willing to give up any life outside the showroom.

ConsPoor leadership, no room for growth. Hours Hours Hours. Poor training skills. I feel I wasted the 6 months that I worked there. The weekly one on ones leave you feeling you will never be good enough. I would only recommend working here if you have nothing else. I passed up a different opportunity to accept a position there and kicking myself for it.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind out what really goes on, talk to the little guy!

Slave Labor

Design/Sales Consultant (Former Employee) Johnson City, NY

ProsHmmm. Having a hard time with this. Possibly the affordable prices and for the most part friendly customers. Two week training was packed with information.

ConsExpected to work 6-day weeks at time (since your are not an hourly employee but on commission vs.draw, no overtime pay for you). Not allowed to have a life when you work a 6 day week.
    Floor is flooded with salespeople. Salespeople are encouraged to work on their day off to further flood the sales floor. "Come in whenever you please." says manager. At that rate one can hardly make draw. Only the smooth-talking and slick survive. Very sleazy car-salesman-like. Not my type of sales environment.
    You are paid only when the furniture gets delivered. For a sale with clients building or waiting to close on a home that could mean months. Meanwhile you busted your behind to make the sale, Raymour and Flanigan has got the money in the bank, and you still didn't get paid. Shame on this company!
    You're encouraged to stalk the customer. Customers feel suffocated and uncomfortable. You can be written up if your customer walks out and didn't buy anything and you didn't allow any other associate to sell them. Your fellow associates are encouraged to rat you out if you didn't give them a crack at selling your customer. The pressure is high and things are very micromanaged. Your every move is being watched. No freedom to use your creativity.
    Store and middle management lives in la-la land and lie to themselves and the staff that "it's all good". Meanwhile, they too are in constant fear of losing their jobs and thus pass their fear along to staff members
    Got to have a meeting with owners in Syracuse during the 2-week training period, who pretended to care the entire time. My advice to those who do go to Syracuse - Don't fall for it.
    Very dark, boring, uninspiring, uncreative, non-fashion forward, conservative, monotonous, miserly, stressful, and a straight-jacket of an environment.
    I am so glad I busted out of there!
    Didn't even give notice. I just had to go!

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees and customers like human beings. We are not work slaves or pieces of meat to be devoured on the selling floor.
    For Corporate Management - You read these comments from your current and former employees yet still don't care enough to make things better for them. Shame on you. So long as the money keeps rolling in for you. That's all that matters…..

Stuffy, arrogant company.

Design Consultant (Former Employee) Wilmington, DE

ProsNice looking showrooms, fair prices, good benefits.

ConsThere were so many rules. The company is so anal. Nobody liked working at Raymour & Flanigan. They were just there for the money.

Advice to Senior ManagementLighten up!

Very High Turnover

Commissioned Sales (Former Employee)

Pros3 day or less delivery if customer will take it. If you are looking for short term employment this is the company for you

ConsMANAGEMENT is a joke, NO EXPERIENCE or ETHICS IS REQUIRED to be a manager, the less you have the longer you last. everything they tell you in the interview process is a lie to get you there and suck the life out of you. If a customer accepts their financing it comes out of your commission (hundreds of dollars a week) also known as the cost of doing business. Very stressful work environment daily. Long hours, work all weekends and holidays. you do not get paid until the furniture is delivered, some times that takes month, by then you are usually terminated.

Advice to Senior Managementthey do not want to hear advice

Former Store Manager's Thoughts on Working for Raymour & Flanigan

Store Manager (Former Employee)

ProsNeil, Mike and Steve Golberg comprise the best leadership team I have ever seen in retail. They are spectacular Owners, flat out. They really know the furniture industry and they have created a remarkable, performance oriented company that truly does things in a way that satisfies the customer. They try very hard to take care of their Associates as well. However, having worked there for a long while, I see one fatal flaw...

ConsNo one ever asks Associates, Floor Managers or Store Managers their opinions of higher level managers and this creates a one-sided atmosphere which creates pressure for Associates in terms of over the top accountability and an innate lack of support for the mid level managers. This lack of support negatively dampens teamwork and is counter productive towards helping align all parties towards common goals.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhile there are many high quality Regional Managers and VP's in the company, there are some poor ones as well. There seems to be little desire to truly support, coach and guide folks who are in the trenches, doing the hard work every day. A bureaucratic barrier exists and there is no reason for it. It could be eliminated with 360 degree surveys open to all subordinates and much higher level (over a VP) review of these surveys.

Worked for Raymour & Flanigan? Contribute to the Community!