Raymour & Flanigan

Updated September 16, 2014
3.1

Raymour & Flanigan President and CEO Neil Goldberg
Neil Goldberg

Pros
  • good benefits, good income, good owners (in 5 reviews)

• They try to provide a good work/life balance despite being a retail job (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours and you work every Holiday and weekend (in 12 reviews)

• Week management that allows fellow sales associates to do things that hurt their fellow (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Former Store Manager

Former Employee - Showroom Manager  in  Niagara Falls, NY
    Former Employee - Showroom Manager in Niagara Falls, NY

I worked at Raymour & Flanigan full-time for more than a year

Pros

great salary plus commision and communication

Cons

long hours and long days

no advice at this time

poor

I have been working at Raymour & Flanigan full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

ability to travel to other stores and work huge inventory most sales complete the same week

Cons

the hours and goals can be debilitating,No balance constant micro managing

Not bad

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Raymour & Flanigan full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Sales can be lucrative if in the right showroom and with good management.

Cons

Hours are brutal. Most nights and every weekend. As well, management tends to give preferential treatment to top performers as far as schedules, feeding them sales, etc

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Learned how to work as a team.

I worked at Raymour & Flanigan full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Fast-pace of new merchandise was a valuable learning experience.

Cons

Negative district leadership was distracting.

Be more open minded about what kind of people to hire or promote to make the team stronger.

furniture technician

Current Employee - Furniture Technician  in  Poughkeepsie, NY
    Current Employee - Furniture Technician in Poughkeepsie, NY

I have been working at Raymour & Flanigan full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

great benefits and pay rate. excellent work ethics and good environment to work. training is always available. opportunities to advance are many but you have to be a go-getter to get them. Supervisors are very understanding and flexible. multiracial employees.

Cons

not many but management could use some improvement. The upper management tends to change very often, just when you think they have something going, surprise the regional manager gets fired! this creates a very sustainable environment that affects all the employes. fortunately this changes are only related to management positions and do not affect the other positions.

more consistency is necessary, too many changes in management stop grow and creates instability. O

Customer Care

I have been working at Raymour & Flanigan

Pros

Not sure there are any pros to talk about. A little paycheck is better than none? Best times are when left alone with no work.

Cons

Before hiring they take a chunk ( over 20 strands of hair) for a drug test. No training. Constantly getting reprimanded or written up for stupid things. Working till last customer leaves store so 10 or 11 often. Unfair treatment for different employees. Low pay and no chance of advancement. No overtime so if you stay late they just make you come in later.

look elsewhere

Former Employee - Customer Care Representative  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Customer Care Representative in New York, NY

I worked at Raymour & Flanigan full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Not sure, maybe the fact that the owners stop by and talk to employees.

Cons

you have to be friends with manager to get the best out of the company.

Train your associates

It allowed me grow and develop myself as a salesperson.

Former Employee - Furniture Sales Consultant  in  Watchung, NJ
    Former Employee - Furniture Sales Consultant in Watchung, NJ

I worked at Raymour & Flanigan full-time

Pros

The earning potential was great and if uour peers were good you were having a good time. Great benefits.

Cons

Long hrs . It was very stressful if your numbers were down extremely political.

Its like anything else in life you get yo work with some great managers and some that came with a lot of baggage and their own personal biases.

Raymour and Flanigan

Current Employee - Customer Care Representative
    Current Employee - Customer Care Representative

I have been working at Raymour & Flanigan full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great team to work with

Cons

Like many others stated, constant management turnover. No raises. No room for growth.

None

Frustrating

Current Employee - Field Support  in  Syracuse, NY
    Current Employee - Field Support in Syracuse, NY

I have been working at Raymour & Flanigan full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I was attracted to R&F because it is a growing company. Over the last 10 years, they have nearly doubled the number of retail locations and become an online presence. There are many very nice people at all levels in the company and I count many friends that are former employees. The company has a culture of promoting from within and there are leadership workshops available to new supervisors and managers. Health benefits are affordable and have gone up only incrementally in the last several years. The associate discount is fairly good- much improved over the last couple of years.

Cons

Benefits-
    In a world of companies who offer many many perks, the paid vacation time (I think it's at least 5 years before you have 3 weeks) and 3 personal days is lousy. Yes, you can buy an extra vacation week, but you had to pay for it, and if your team does meet the weekly goal the week you used your purchased vacation, you don't get the bonus.

Also, I have about 10 R&F coffee mugs from the Holiday breakfasts. I don't need another one, thanks.

Compensation-
    If you can handle the lack of work/life balance, you can make good money at the store level as a sales consultant. If you work in Customer Care or in other corporate entry level positions, the pay is quite low. Entry level management pay is also low.

Computer systems-
    Need a major upgrade. The are sadly outdated and the replacement systems are slow to come and not much better. Hire a systems consultant who can create and integrated system. I should not need to have to use 6 or 7 different programs to do my job. It's confusing and it takes months to train new associates.

Expectations-
    Micromanaging definitely runs rampant among all levels of management and is ingrained in the company culture from the top down. I often clash with my manager when I take a different approach- it is NOT appreciated even when I achieve the desired result. I also find that my experience and input matter little, new suggestions and ideas are often ignored.

The expectations are often unclear and are ever changing. It is difficult as a middle manager to have a level of accountability when you are constantly overruled by your senior manager.

With all the meetings and approvals needed from different departments and leaders, it can take a while for projects to be completed. Deadlines are constantly pushed back and it is challenging to know what is going on.

Associate turnover is high. I have also seen many executive level associates leave in the last year. Very concerning.

I have read many of the reviews on this site and agree with much of what is being said. I find it interesting that the majority of the negative comments come from the Store Associates and managers, who are the face of the company. It should be concerning to Senior management that this is the culture that has been created. Your customer's and ultimately your business will suffer. I refer to the Guiding Principles- you really do need to do what you say you will do and treat your people well. Right now, you just don't!

Worked for Raymour & Flanigan? Contribute to the Community!