Raymour & Flanigan

Updated January 26, 2015
2.8

Raymour & Flanigan President and CEO Neil Goldberg
Neil Goldberg

Pros
  • good benefits, good income, good owners (in 5 reviews)

• They try to provide a good work/life balance despite being a retail job (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours and you work every Holiday and weekend (in 13 reviews)

• Hours stink with a 12 hour workday once a week, and always weekends and holidays (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

somewhat low pay. High expectations

I have been working at Raymour & Flanigan full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Close relations with both the store and regional managers in a proffesional environment. Good work life balance in all positions with the exception of store/sales managers and salesmen.

Cons

pay has not been raised in relation to minimum wage increasing. Sometimes unachievable goals for sales people. Disconnect between store management and operations team.

Operations and store management need to communicate better. Store management should consult backroom/ops team before making major decisions that affect their work environment.

Good

I worked at Raymour & Flanigan

Pros

Good company to work for

Cons

Work life balance is rough

None

This us the worst company I have ever worked for. Turn running in the other direction.

Current Employee - Store Manager/Showroom Manager/Sales Associate in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at Raymour & Flanigan full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay, great employee discounts, always fresh faces due to the high turn over rate. Once a year the owners cook you breakfast.

Cons

The hours are awful and lets be honest, nobody shops for furniture prior to 4pm. They hold special sales every other month which mandates you work even more hours than normal. You get a 30 minute lunch regardless of how long your shift is which makes it impossible to leave the building to actually get a meal. I was hired as a manager and given a list of people to fire the first week. When I continued to refuse because there was no basis to fire them i got demoted. I was told to document these individuals "failure to follow company policy" so we wouldn't have to pay then u employment. When I went to HR with my concerns I got demoted again. Now I am a lowly sales associate working at the same store I once managed. I am waiting until my "failure to follow company policy " write ups start to quit.

Understand that the leaders you hire lead by fear. Everyone is too worried to upset "the g's" to actually speak their mind and make improvements. Start at the bottom and work your way up interviewing current associates with a 3rd party mediator and a signed document saying your word will not get you fired and pray they tell the truth.

They have very high turnover rate

I worked at Raymour & Flanigan

Pros

customer service platinum protection plan

Cons

no work life balance, upper management should be retrained

Take a good hard look at your upper management

Home Furnishings Consultant

I worked at Raymour & Flanigan full-time (more than a year)

Pros

-ability to work as much overtime as you want
    -pretty steady income even during slow times

Cons

-terrible company values. During the interview process and corporate training they boast about work life balance when in my store, this was discouraged. If you put your family or life first, you were an outcast among management and targeted
    -only top 3 producers get noticed. Everyone after that had their days numbered
    -lack of compassion on the store level
    -training structures in the store level are actually molded to force out those that aren't willing to back stab
    -no ability for growth

Management really needs to reconsider who they make into store level management. Supposed leaders are not at all what are needed in leadership roles. The leaders at my store encouraged really bad behavior that could get consultants in trouble. Fear does not promote sales as was tried in my store. Leaders feed off of conflicts among consultants and encourage them to get sales. The most toxic place to work and I really feel like corporate management puts blinders on to this on the store level.

This is one of the best companies I have worked for with a universal culture of respect, integrity and teamwork

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Syracuse, NY

I have been working at Raymour & Flanigan full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Extremely entreprenurial; Open to ideas. Lots of opportunity to grow personally and professionally and learn new things. Company very dedicated to learning and providing resources for people to be successful. Tuition Reimbursement program is excellent. Leadership Development Institute is state of the art. It is up to you to drive your own success. Strong and consistent value system.

Cons

None. Just not enough hours in the day to get it all done.

While I enjoy my work, and many of my coworkers - the salary is not competitive, even by low Central New York standards.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Syracuse, NY

I have been working at Raymour & Flanigan full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Flexible Work Schedule

- Average Benefits Package

- Advancement Opportunities (Management/Leadership are the only real advancement vehicles)

- Job Security

Cons

- Low/Imbalanced pay structures throughout company - general positions that require no degree can make more than specialized positions requiring more education & expertise.

- No interest in continued internal education in relation to positions or skills that are not management/leadership.

-Reference industry standard salary guides & compare to local market to decide on a competitive wage for specialize positions, you'll start to bring in more talent & have less turnover. Consider these numbers when giving raises to current associates - They're looking for more compelling offers elsewhere when they barely get a standard of living raise for their salary, that is already too low.

-Offer occasional education opportunities (conference, webinar, class etc.) to specialized employees who need to keep on top of their skill sets - so they can still have the work-life balance (kind-of) that we preach, as well as help in continuing to move the company forward with what they learn.

While the Tuition Reimbursement programs is a start, why are we not spending a small percentage of our working time "Sharpening The Saw?" (again, other than leadership skills...we've got that very much covered)

Even with the added financial help of the Tuition Reimbursement Program (8,000 max) going to school is a heavy financial & time-sucking commitment. Broke, Burnt-Out & Stressed associates will not contribute to their fullest potential. With working full time, we're saying that is okay - for the YEARS it takes to get a degree. So let's see...1. Less Productive Worker 2. No Guarantee of a Promotion or Raise for the associate 3. Guarantee of the Financial burden that is Education (minus 8,000 or 50% of you spend, whichever is less) 4. No guarantee for R&F that newly educated associate will stick around...

Why do we think this is a good idea for everyone? Many associates show up with proper education, and do not need another full degree, but rather refresher information to keep their skills current.

Why not offer the 8,000 max as a bank of money to be used for industry conferences, position specific reading material, job tools etc. to make the associate more valuable while at work & avoid Broke/Burnt-Out associates? Obviously the funds would be controlled and the purchases would need approvals etc. but that is a much more progressive, associate friendly offering! Especially for specialized associates that have already come to the company educated!

Better yet, offer either option! If you need a degree - great use this program. If you have a degree - great, good for you - use this program.

Raymour & Flanigan Response

Nov 5, 2014Organizational Development Specialist

Thank you for providing us with this feedback. Raymour & Flanigan Furniture works hard to provide compensation that is competitive and benefits that our associates want to take advantage of. Feedback ... More

Okay pay, not able to balance work and life equally, sales reps treat customer care badly

Current Employee - Customer Care Representative
    Current Employee - Customer Care Representative

I have been working at Raymour & Flanigan full-time

Pros

Good transitional job, management works with your schedule for the most part

Cons

work holidays and weekends

Good pay, good people, bad hours, your input doesn't matter.

Current Employee - Home Furnishing Consultant in Binghamton, NY
    Current Employee - Home Furnishing Consultant in Binghamton, NY

I have been working at Raymour & Flanigan full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The pay is good if you do anything more than the minimum. The people you work with share a common bond and generally care about one another. The work isn't too hard, a lot of memorization and energy to keep up with the customers. Hard work definitely pays off, but there's only so much you can do before you start to stress yourself out.

Cons

Like most places you just deal with what comes from above. Some people aren't trust worthy and that causes a lot of stress since it is a commissioned job. No real attainable skills or any upward mobility.

Pay more attention to the individual needs of stores, not the one size fits all approach.

Stay away

I worked at Raymour & Flanigan

Pros

None. Everything is made to look well but once you are in the reality hits. Managers are treated like theyre nothing unless you subscrie to the koolaid program

Cons

Evetything. This companys tactic is to pretend they care about you and your personsl life, yet no weekends off, weds are 13 hr days and so n

Raymour & Flanigan Photos