Raymour & Flanigan

Updated December 6, 2014
2.8

Raymour & Flanigan President and CEO Neil Goldberg
Neil Goldberg

Pros
  • good benefits, good income, good owners (in 5 reviews)

• They try to provide a good work/life balance despite being a retail job (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours and you work every Holiday and weekend (in 13 reviews)

• Hours stink with a 12 hour workday once a week, and always weekends and holidays (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

This is one of the best companies I have worked for with a universal culture of respect, integrity and teamwork

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Syracuse, NY

I have been working at Raymour & Flanigan full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Extremely entreprenurial; Open to ideas. Lots of opportunity to grow personally and professionally and learn new things. Company very dedicated to learning and providing resources for people to be successful. Tuition Reimbursement program is excellent. Leadership Development Institute is state of the art. It is up to you to drive your own success. Strong and consistent value system.

Cons

None. Just not enough hours in the day to get it all done.

Home Furnishings Consultant

I worked at Raymour & Flanigan full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-ability to work as much overtime as you want
    -pretty steady income even during slow times

Cons

-terrible company values. During the interview process and corporate training they boast about work life balance when in my store, this was discouraged. If you put your family or life first, you were an outcast among management and targeted
    -only top 3 producers get noticed. Everyone after that had their days numbered
    -lack of compassion on the store level
    -training structures in the store level are actually molded to force out those that aren't willing to back stab
    -no ability for growth

Management really needs to reconsider who they make into store level management. Supposed leaders are not at all what are needed in leadership roles. The leaders at my store encouraged really bad behavior that could get consultants in trouble. Fear does not promote sales as was tried in my store. Leaders feed off of conflicts among consultants and encourage them to get sales. The most toxic place to work and I really feel like corporate management puts blinders on to this on the store level.

While I enjoy my work, and many of my coworkers - the salary is not competitive, even by low Central New York standards.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Syracuse, NY

I have been working at Raymour & Flanigan full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Flexible Work Schedule

- Average Benefits Package

- Advancement Opportunities (Management/Leadership are the only real advancement vehicles)

- Job Security

Cons

- Low/Imbalanced pay structures throughout company - general positions that require no degree can make more than specialized positions requiring more education & expertise.

- No interest in continued internal education in relation to positions or skills that are not management/leadership.

-Reference industry standard salary guides & compare to local market to decide on a competitive wage for specialize positions, you'll start to bring in more talent & have less turnover. Consider these numbers when giving raises to current associates - They're looking for more compelling offers elsewhere when they barely get a standard of living raise for their salary, that is already too low.

-Offer occasional education opportunities (conference, webinar, class etc.) to specialized employees who need to keep on top of their skill sets - so they can still have the work-life balance (kind-of) that we preach, as well as help in continuing to move the company forward with what they learn.

While the Tuition Reimbursement programs is a start, why are we not spending a small percentage of our working time "Sharpening The Saw?" (again, other than leadership skills...we've got that very much covered)

Even with the added financial help of the Tuition Reimbursement Program (8,000 max) going to school is a heavy financial & time-sucking commitment. Broke, Burnt-Out & Stressed associates will not contribute to their fullest potential. With working full time, we're saying that is okay - for the YEARS it takes to get a degree. So let's see...1. Less Productive Worker 2. No Guarantee of a Promotion or Raise for the associate 3. Guarantee of the Financial burden that is Education (minus 8,000 or 50% of you spend, whichever is less) 4. No guarantee for R&F that newly educated associate will stick around...

Why do we think this is a good idea for everyone? Many associates show up with proper education, and do not need another full degree, but rather refresher information to keep their skills current.

Why not offer the 8,000 max as a bank of money to be used for industry conferences, position specific reading material, job tools etc. to make the associate more valuable while at work & avoid Broke/Burnt-Out associates? Obviously the funds would be controlled and the purchases would need approvals etc. but that is a much more progressive, associate friendly offering! Especially for specialized associates that have already come to the company educated!

Better yet, offer either option! If you need a degree - great use this program. If you have a degree - great, good for you - use this program.

Raymour & Flanigan Response

Nov 5, 2014Organizational Development Specialist

Thank you for providing us with this feedback. Raymour & Flanigan Furniture works hard to provide compensation that is competitive and benefits that our associates want to take advantage of. Feedback ... More

Stay away

I worked at Raymour & Flanigan

Pros

None. Everything is made to look well but once you are in the reality hits. Managers are treated like theyre nothing unless you subscrie to the koolaid program

Cons

Evetything. This companys tactic is to pretend they care about you and your personsl life, yet no weekends off, weds are 13 hr days and so n

+ & -'s

Former Employee - Furniture Sales Consultant
    Former Employee - Furniture Sales Consultant

I worked at Raymour & Flanigan full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

If you're a better or top performer you can make a reasonable living. Decent benefits. Reasonably up to date w/technology. Quick delivery, paid weekly.

Cons

Work/life balance sucks as you work every weekend, many evenings & all holidays. Upper mgmt no longer has any leaders. Mid management are administrative managers that follow policy. They are not allowed to think for themselves. Divisions do not work together. Communication is spotty. A lack of consistency w/discipline.

Appreciate your people. Come up with a more family friendly schedule.

Good pay, good people, bad hours, your input doesn't matter.

Current Employee - Home Furnishing Consultant in Binghamton, NY
    Current Employee - Home Furnishing Consultant in Binghamton, NY

I have been working at Raymour & Flanigan full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The pay is good if you do anything more than the minimum. The people you work with share a common bond and generally care about one another. The work isn't too hard, a lot of memorization and energy to keep up with the customers. Hard work definitely pays off, but there's only so much you can do before you start to stress yourself out.

Cons

Like most places you just deal with what comes from above. Some people aren't trust worthy and that causes a lot of stress since it is a commissioned job. No real attainable skills or any upward mobility.

Pay more attention to the individual needs of stores, not the one size fits all approach.

Okay pay, not able to balance work and life equally, sales reps treat customer care badly

Current Employee - Customer Care Representative
    Current Employee - Customer Care Representative

I have been working at Raymour & Flanigan full-time

Pros

Good transitional job, management works with your schedule for the most part

Cons

work holidays and weekends

Education and experience.

Current Employee - Operations Lead in Frazer, PA
    Current Employee - Operations Lead in Frazer, PA

I have been working at Raymour & Flanigan full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

An easy job with decent pay and benefits. Most of your fellow coworkers are genuine. Learn to handle a lot of difficult situations and personalities due to high turnover.

Cons

As it is retail the hours you need to be available are days, nights, weekends and holidays. Do as I say not as I do work environment. Continual back stabbing and setting up associates for failure. No training for job advancement. It's not how well you do your job it's who is a better friend to upper management. Different departments are held in a higher regard and treated better then others (first sales, then delivery, followed by customer care, and lastly operations). Constant fear of being replaced. Overworked, and no recognition of a good job. Managers who take their title to literary.

Start practicing what you preach. There are a lot of good employees who are overlooked for one reason or another. Before promoting why not ask how the person is viewed from their subordinates. Stop contradicting yourself. Acknowledge the hard work of your operations team. Safety, we get it and do not need to be afraid of getting hurt or reporting an injury. Ask yourself how can we promote a person from one of the worst performing delivery CSCs to a management role, and not get any backlash? And how can we promote a manager who couldn't even train his own staff without help?

A lot of corporate bs

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Buffalo, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Buffalo, NY

I worked at Raymour & Flanigan full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Decent pay, most of the sales people that work there are pretty nice, thats the most fun part of the job...I worked there for 3 years.... Made 40-45K by the time i resigned... They push you to make your numbers, and they don't care how you do it as long as its done. Generally they overstaff the stores, based on what they a "grid" all it means for you is you will see 5-10 (at the very most) ups per day. They do work off a list system, and people get pretty crazy about the list. Need a breath of fresh air after 6 hours stuck in the building, go ahead, but don't even try to stick your nose out the door if you on the list... Be prepared for sale after sale after sale. They do friends and family sale twice a year, and they expect a min of 40K written business, again they don't care if this is good deliverable business or not, send your best friend in to put $20 down on a 10K order to make you event if you have to... After your crazy weekend of 10-9 Friday, Saturday and Sunday...Yes! Sunday till 9...because thats when people buy couches! Be prepared and ready for a wednesday event sale, for which you'll need 5K of written business... If your days off are Monday and Tuesday, again they don't care, you should have prospected for this event! This company is run from the top down and the only thing they care for are their numbers, not their people...

Cons

Sales people who are dishonest or don't qualify their or your customer will lie and say its theirs... If your honest plan on making 5-10K less than if you lie about things there. The management pretty much doesn't care, but the rules can change from day to day or hour to hour...

Not bad

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Raymour & Flanigan full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Sales can be lucrative if in the right showroom and with good management.

Cons

Hours are brutal. Most nights and every weekend. As well, management tends to give preferential treatment to top performers as far as schedules, feeding them sales, etc

Raymour & Flanigan Photos