Raymour & Flanigan

Updated September 11, 2014
3.1

Raymour & Flanigan President and CEO Neil Goldberg
Neil Goldberg

Pros
  • good benefits, good income, good owners (in 5 reviews)

• They try to provide a good work/life balance despite being a retail job (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours and you work every Holiday and weekend (in 12 reviews)

• Week management that allows fellow sales associates to do things that hurt their fellow (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Very High Turnover

Former Employee - Commissioned Sales
    Former Employee - Commissioned Sales

I worked at Raymour & Flanigan full-time for less than a year

Pros

3 day or less delivery if customer will take it. If you are looking for short term employment this is the company for you

Cons

MANAGEMENT is a joke, NO EXPERIENCE or ETHICS IS REQUIRED to be a manager, the less you have the longer you last. everything they tell you in the interview process is a lie to get you there and suck the life out of you. If a customer accepts their financing it comes out of your commission (hundreds of dollars a week) also known as the cost of doing business. Very stressful work environment daily. Long hours, work all weekends and holidays. you do not get paid until the furniture is delivered, some times that takes month, by then you are usually terminated.

they do not want to hear advice

Former Store Manager's Thoughts on Working for Raymour & Flanigan

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Raymour & Flanigan full-time

Pros

Neil, Mike and Steve Golberg comprise the best leadership team I have ever seen in retail. They are spectacular Owners, flat out. They really know the furniture industry and they have created a remarkable, performance oriented company that truly does things in a way that satisfies the customer. They try very hard to take care of their Associates as well. However, having worked there for a long while, I see one fatal flaw...

Cons

No one ever asks Associates, Floor Managers or Store Managers their opinions of higher level managers and this creates a one-sided atmosphere which creates pressure for Associates in terms of over the top accountability and an innate lack of support for the mid level managers. This lack of support negatively dampens teamwork and is counter productive towards helping align all parties towards common goals.

While there are many high quality Regional Managers and VP's in the company, there are some poor ones as well. There seems to be little desire to truly support, coach and guide folks who are in the trenches, doing the hard work every day. A bureaucratic barrier exists and there is no reason for it. It could be eliminated with 360 degree surveys open to all subordinates and much higher level (over a VP) review of these surveys.

High pressure , stress, and they don't care about their employees . TERRIBLE.

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Raymour & Flanigan full-time for more than a year

Pros

The best and only pro about working with this company for over a year was the relationship I built with my co workers. We are still close friends.

Cons

Where do I start? Terrible
    Hours, ridiculous expectations. If you want to be on top Prepare not to have a life and to be extremely stressed at all times. If your not
    A shark, you won't be good enough. I was
    Great with customers and they loved me, but apparently great customer service isn't nearly
    Enough. Weekly one on one sit downs telling you how terrible you are if you only had one bad week. This job will literally suck the life out of you.

More positive feedback instead of negative .

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I was a micromanaged salesperson. It started out good, but declined over time.

I worked at Raymour & Flanigan full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

They have great marketing and offer 3 day delivery. Their customer service is good and salespeople usually don't need to get involved. Benefits are good, including profit sharing on some years.

Cons

Very stressful. They started demanding work more for less money. They measure you constantly, and you are never good enough. You are replaceable by someone who won't mind making less. It's impossible to meet all of the goals because if you meet one goal, it's usually means you missed another. They are big on selling the extended warranty and "preferred" financing, which is 30 days same as cash, which no one wants to buy. It's considered bad if you sell the long term financing that is constantly advertised on TV. The managers are stressed out and only care about making their weekly budget. They do promote salespeople to managers, but most salespeople don't want the extra stress.

If the salespeople were happy, they would probably do much better and make the owners more money.

Sales

Former Employee - Furniture Sales Consultant  in  Syracuse, NY
    Former Employee - Furniture Sales Consultant in Syracuse, NY

I worked at Raymour & Flanigan full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Good benefits, all around. There's really not much else. Really. I'm typing now only to fulfill the 20-word minimum. There.

Cons

Unreasonable hours, too many sales people for customer base, lessening commission structure as employees sell more... almost as if they see them being paid too well and want to knock them down a notch.

Trust your employees to make the sale. NO ONE is more vested in closing than the salesperson, whose livelihood depends on it!

Enjoyed working with my co-workers at every level

Former Employee - CCS/CCM
    Former Employee - CCS/CCM

I worked at Raymour & Flanigan full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The open door police for their employee's. They always provided training to help you better understand the company policy, should you be consider for the up coming promotion. It is a family owned company that understands the need to be able to balance work and home schedules. They offered a nice discount to their employees to show they appreciation. Along with plaques for a great job done.

Cons

As far as the downside of working for this company, Not to much I worked in the customer service department. One major one is if we had received word that the owners were coming for a visit everyone would panic. My belief is, if your doing your job there is nothing to worry about. Every time I had met the owners they were polite and we never received feed back about our department.

Make sure if you ask a question make sure you are ready for the answer.

Hired to be fired

I worked at Raymour & Flanigan full-time for less than a year

Pros

Fun coworkers, nicely set up sales interface on computer, nice working conditions, excellent 2-week training program, "Friends and Family" cards given me will provide kindling for firepit for many future summers.

Cons

Training stops when you walk onto the sales floor.

When you are hired, you are given income figures that, in this particular store, are unattainable for a new associate out of the gate. Long-term associates grand stand in front of store, management does nothing to stop it.

There are unreasonable hours- when it is slow and the store is over-staffed, you are required to make your "delivered" sales numbers, or draw kicks in, meaning you essentially sat there in their sales office, babysitting their furniture -- for free. You are only as good as your weekly delivered -- no weight is given to sales made but delivered outside the week.

The management was inconsistent.

In an overstaffed store, you are not only competing with other retailers, you are competing with your own coworkers, as well as local Raymour stores. This creates an unhealthy atmosphere based on fear of not making your "period."

Open Door Policy is non-existent.

You are penalized when you don't sell their Extended Warranty program, and also when selling the financing that they have perpetually advertised.

12-hour mandatory Wednesdays - when full-staff is in, you are expected to "make appointments" for bogus "events." When there aren't enough customers coming in to make an appointment with, you are SOL.

One-on-one's are not designed to help the associate improve, only to document for dismissal.

There is no HR department to speak to effectively.

Scare tactic meetings that were held about UNIONS were hysterical and worthy of being an SNL skit, provided many good belly laughs.

Being terminated was the best thing that happened to me. I wake up every morning thanking my lucky stars I don't EVER have to go back there. Thanks guys!

Why don't you follow your own Mission Statement???? Geez, you made me memorize the stupid thing in training!

past experience

Former Employee - Showroom Manager
    Former Employee - Showroom Manager

I worked at Raymour & Flanigan full-time for more than a year

Pros

the pay is good for manager's

Cons

long and late hour's. work almost all holiday's and all weekends. separation with sales associates and management. animosity and resentment with associates towards manger's

practice what you preach in regard's to executing company values. some management not aligned with company core values.

Great Team

Former Employee - Store Stock Associate  in  Phila, PA
    Former Employee - Store Stock Associate in Phila, PA

I worked at Raymour & Flanigan full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good working relationship with all employees at the store. HR in Philly area is excellent.
    Employee discount is very good.

Cons

All depends of course on store management and the visual merchandiser that you will be working with. Most of them will leave you alone if you do your job.

Back room associates sometimes do not get respect from store management, etc.
    This has improved over the past year.

Try and earn a decent living as a sales associate

I worked at Raymour & Flanigan full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Well merchandised stores. Good delivery process. They take of their customers.

Cons

Try and earn a living with too many sales associates and sharks among them.
    This plays on the bad side of human nature and creates nothing but trouble.
    Management turns a blind eye and they have their favorites. The sales staff comes with a revolving door attached to their backs.
    For upper management it's all about numbers.
    You work every Holiday, weekend and a good number of nights.

Raymour & Flanigan Photos

"Treat our people well and they'll treat our customers well"
Raymour & Flanigan Showroom

+ Add Photo

Worked for Raymour & Flanigan? Contribute to the Community!