Raymour & Flanigan

Updated November 24, 2014
2.8

Raymour & Flanigan President and CEO Neil Goldberg
Neil Goldberg

Pros
  • good benefits, good income, good owners (in 5 reviews)

• They try to provide a good work/life balance despite being a retail job (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours and you work every Holiday and weekend (in 13 reviews)

• Hours stink with a 12 hour workday once a week, and always weekends and holidays (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

It is what you make it - you can't say that about most jobs

Current Employee - Furniture Sales Consultant in Amherst, NY
    Current Employee - Furniture Sales Consultant in Amherst, NY

I have been working at Raymour & Flanigan full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very reputable company, so it's easy to sell comparatively superior customer service, quality of products and dependability for customers. I can only sell what I believe in, and after researching furniture sales in my area, this was the only place I applied. Despite some griping from coworkers (and I disregard such uninformed complaints since I came from owning my own small business and know something about how much hard work counts) here you do truly own your own potential. You can increase your income as you desire with hard work and talent. A big plus for me is the pleasant physical environment, at least in my own showroom, one of the top full line showrooms.

Cons

Disconnect between sales floor experience and management's sometimes lame attempts to improve sales. I am sure it varies among stores as management varies, and it really is not THAT bad at my location, but it changes better or worse as management with more or less experience and insight come and go. This is not a problem unique to this company, and it is probably less a problem here than at many corporations, because many of the management personnel here are promoted from within the sales force. It is more of a problem for many other companies where the management is trying to improve performance without deep understanding of what is happening on ground zero.. So.... my advice is for those who start as sales here with aspirations to management.... you will be a better manager if you get a good grounding, and even better if you have the insight and empathy to propose actions that will produce results you want.

Don't sweat the small stuff and don't make draconian rules for everyone because you are reluctant to confront the real offenders who are likely the top ones who pad your paycheck or give you special help with their knowledge. We all see how you don't want to call them out individually for abuse of rules. We know we are being punished unfairly for their excess. Also, please see the big picture of your future paycheck and better encourage the rare new talented hires. They can make you more $ in the future if properly developed. (Not to say that I myself have not been encouraged, but then, I knew how to encourage the encouragement :)

A good management career with decent pay, but no life outside of work due to terrible retail hours!

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Raymour & Flanigan full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Enjoy selling good products at affordable prices. Each day is a new experience, always changing sales environment.

Cons

Long retail hours with way too many sales on top of all holidays & weekends. No social life outside of work. No place for people with kids. Feel guilty when you take time off.

Be more considerate and follow your mission "treat our people well and they will treat our customers well." Saying it is easy, but doing it is another thing.

Great company to work for!

I have been working at Raymour & Flanigan full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Ownership team is great; diverse personalities so they are innovative and open to ideas. They try to provide a good work/life balance despite being a retail job. The company has evolved greatly in recent years and has become a more welcoming, associate friendly environment. There is a lot of focus on leadership development and a true desire to help their associates better themselves. Great growth opportunities with competitive wage and benefit packages. The company also supports the communities they serve and helped a lot of their associates after hurricane Sandy. They truly care.

Cons

As in any company, sometimes poor leadership decisions are made. The company should work to identify poor hiring/promotion decisions in a more timely manner. The dress code expectations are a little extreme, sometimes all the suits can be intimidating for customers, the furniture buying process should be a relaxed experience. Sales associates who write a lot of business get away with far too much. Sales leadership is micro-managed and forced to be too focused on instant numbers rather then gaining life long customers.

Put more money into technology rather than trying to build your own systems. Sales department needs better leadership, more direction and accountability.

Love My Job Love the people I work with

Current Employee - Customer Care in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Customer Care in New York, NY

I have been working at Raymour & Flanigan part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Friendly atmosphere People are nice

Cons

Salary is terrible and raises are very minimal

Give people the raises they deserve. Live by guiding principles "Treat people Fairly..."

Way too Political for me!

Former Employee - Senior Management in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Management in New York, NY

I worked at Raymour & Flanigan full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

If they ACTUALLY practiced what they preach and claim to stand for, and truly recognized hard working, productive people, it would be a great place to work because they pay well.

Cons

It's not how GREAT your department is running, how hard you've worked and that you have proven yourself...it's who you are aligned with. Unfortunately the biggest BSer's are always the one with the most "power". Since they are also the ones that have to protect themselves because they don't have the integrity or work ethic necessary to just roll up their sleeves and put in a hard, productive work day, they target those that do because we have them figured out. GREAT people have came and went because of the political powers, known as the EVIL EMPIRE by the hard workers on the inside,who are constantly having to dodge bullets. The culture is so stressful and mentally exhausting because you have to play all kinds of games ON TOP OF always going above and beyond doing a great job! A real shame!!

Open you eyes owners!! Unless this is how you planned it to be and no one would be surprised about that!

Delivering is a good workout! Eh ehmm.

I have been working at Raymour & Flanigan

Pros

Delivering Is a good workout... get to see beautiful homes, views and meet SOME nice people. Lunch where ever (only because you have no time to sit) not paid hourly!

Cons

As i last stated, delivery drivers and assistants do NOT get paid hourly. Yes, there is a weekly base. (350-assistant 450-driver BEFORE TAXES) but how is that worth it when you work 45+ hours?! Oh there's commission though! Ha. (.006-assistant and .008-driver... thats $6 and $8 every $1000 in merchandise total) THEN if you're relying on someone else loading your truck you have no idea what shape any of the furniture is in! This means; if a customer refuses a piece because a highly trained loader loads it wrong and it is damaged, YOU ARE NOT PAID A CENT FOR IT. You now have of course moved this furniture to the opposite end of a customers home, only to find something wrong with it... have to carry it back to the truck.... work around it all day... and get paid nothing for it. And the finger of fault will ALWAYS be pointed at you. They don't care because it only really affects YOUR paycheck, oh no they lost a spiff b/c the truck isn't %100. THERY'RE DIRECTLY AFFECTING YOUR PAYCHECK!!! Hm what else... Management is a complete farse. Always trying to throw their weight not realizing no one respects them since they are consistantly shown they know nothing about what your job really entails. Higher management obviously doesnt care unless they see your face every day... Great display of vanity and ignorance overall though. Almost entertaining.

Unfortunately, this company holds employees at a very high standard for an amazing hand full of empty promises. First you're confronted by a thurough hair folical exam that tests 3 months. (Wow) then confronted by your pay's actuality. (Crap, considering...) then told there really HAVEN'T BEEN RAISES IN 18 YEARS ((WHAT)). There's only a certain time of the year you can take vacation... You're never really sure about your paycheck definitely always seems sketchy. Seems to me if the Goldburgs are so anti-union they would treat their employees a lot better. Sad really, job isn't too bad without all of the insanity.

Frustrating

Current Employee - Field Support in Syracuse, NY
    Current Employee - Field Support in Syracuse, NY

I have been working at Raymour & Flanigan full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I was attracted to R&F because it is a growing company. Over the last 10 years, they have nearly doubled the number of retail locations and become an online presence. There are many very nice people at all levels in the company and I count many friends that are former employees. The company has a culture of promoting from within and there are leadership workshops available to new supervisors and managers. Health benefits are affordable and have gone up only incrementally in the last several years. The associate discount is fairly good- much improved over the last couple of years.

Cons

Benefits-
    In a world of companies who offer many many perks, the paid vacation time (I think it's at least 5 years before you have 3 weeks) and 3 personal days is lousy. Yes, you can buy an extra vacation week, but you had to pay for it, and if your team does meet the weekly goal the week you used your purchased vacation, you don't get the bonus.

Also, I have about 10 R&F coffee mugs from the Holiday breakfasts. I don't need another one, thanks.

Compensation-
    If you can handle the lack of work/life balance, you can make good money at the store level as a sales consultant. If you work in Customer Care or in other corporate entry level positions, the pay is quite low. Entry level management pay is also low.

Computer systems-
    Need a major upgrade. The are sadly outdated and the replacement systems are slow to come and not much better. Hire a systems consultant who can create and integrated system. I should not need to have to use 6 or 7 different programs to do my job. It's confusing and it takes months to train new associates.

Expectations-
    Micromanaging definitely runs rampant among all levels of management and is ingrained in the company culture from the top down. I often clash with my manager when I take a different approach- it is NOT appreciated even when I achieve the desired result. I also find that my experience and input matter little, new suggestions and ideas are often ignored.

The expectations are often unclear and are ever changing. It is difficult as a middle manager to have a level of accountability when you are constantly overruled by your senior manager.

With all the meetings and approvals needed from different departments and leaders, it can take a while for projects to be completed. Deadlines are constantly pushed back and it is challenging to know what is going on.

Associate turnover is high. I have also seen many executive level associates leave in the last year. Very concerning.

I have read many of the reviews on this site and agree with much of what is being said. I find it interesting that the majority of the negative comments come from the Store Associates and managers, who are the face of the company. It should be concerning to Senior management that this is the culture that has been created. Your customer's and ultimately your business will suffer. I refer to the Guiding Principles- you really do need to do what you say you will do and treat your people well. Right now, you just don't!

Lost time

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Raymour & Flanigan full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good selection of furniture. Company advertises to bring in customers so the name is out there.
    Well cared for showroom

Cons

No product or sales training ever. Week management that allows fellow sales associates to do things that hurt their fellow sales associates. They also play favorites. Again no coaching. Too many sales associates at any
    given time. There are days when you only get one or two customers and then go back on line to wait out the day.
    This fosters an atmosphere of cut throat tactics among the sales associates and management looks the other way.
    Long hours and you work every Holiday and weekend.
    Sales associates are allowed to work in other locations especially if they are trying to achieve the top sales goals. How do you think the sales associates feel in that location when they themselves have an over crowded sales floor?

Be more flexible in hours and even out the schedule. Build product knowledge and sales training to develop a more confident staff. Be a manger not a puppet.

A Good Opportunity for those who are willing to put forth the effort!

Current Employee - Home Furnishing Consultant in Brick, NJ
    Current Employee - Home Furnishing Consultant in Brick, NJ

I have been working at Raymour & Flanigan full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Compensation, advertising support from corporate, compassionate genuine camaraderie among co-workers as well as store management. Corporate atmosphere which has clear attainable directives. Accessible, direct contact and involvement from the corporation owners.

Cons

Long hours. Overlapping sales & promos diluting the urgency of the public's need to purchase during the event.

Keep your positive outlook and approach to mentoring staff with hands on involvement to closing business and advancing skills.

Disappointing experience. RUN!

I worked at Raymour & Flanigan (less than an year)

Pros

Week days off to look for different employment. Met many new friends while working there we stay in touch. Easy to sell products, three day delivery. Can make money of you are willing to give up any life outside the showroom.

Cons

Poor leadership, no room for growth. Hours Hours Hours. Poor training skills. I feel I wasted the 6 months that I worked there. The weekly one on ones leave you feeling you will never be good enough. I would only recommend working here if you have nothing else. I passed up a different opportunity to accept a position there and kicking myself for it.

Find out what really goes on, talk to the little guy!

Raymour & Flanigan Photos

"Treat our people well and they'll treat our customers well"
Raymour & Flanigan Showroom