Rayonier

Updated Mar 19, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Paul G. Boynton

Fast paced, interesting and solid.

ProsCompany has lots of promotional opportunities and geographic diversity. Growing business with strong bottom line and focus on execution. Very skilled and competent workforce.

ConsManagement reluctant to let go of lower level strategic planning or decision making. Burdensome administrative functions. Benefits mediocre.

Rewarding job managing very good people

Manager, Applications Development (Former Employee) Jacksonville, FL

ProsGood work life balance, excellent benefits and compensation. flexible hours with some ability to work from home.

ConsOften go for short wins without considering long term goals. This leads to communication gaps and poor decisions.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to listen and lead. Don't make hasty decisions in spite of recommendations from employees closest to the issue.

Tough Industry, Good People

Operations Analyst (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsGreat learning for someone early in their career. People were great and often helpful to the newbie.

ConsShrinking Industry. Hard to see long term career growth.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Account payables

Account Payables (Current Employee) Jacksonville, FL

ProsThis was contract position so I was only to stay per contract.

ConsI would off stayed but it was a contract.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe management was good.

Rayonier is a high class sweatshop

ProsRayonier's salary compensation is at market levels. It's bonus program for non-executives is not. Rayonier has a strong set of ethics.

ConsRayonier cares much more about production and productivity than it does about employees. Employees commonly work very long hours and over weekends and holidays. It is common for employees to be performing tasks and roles that would normally be handled by 2 or more individuals. Work/Life balance is non-existent. Not an enjoyable place to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementCurrent employee surveys do not capture the real state of morale. Many employees fear retaliation if surveys were answered honestly.

It’s all relative – Individual results will vary.

Various (Current Employee) Tbilisi (Georgia)

ProsIT, accounting, Performance fibers, good dividend, forested holdings, decent benefits. Depending on what department you go to, it’s hard to say what’s good or bad. I will say the I.T. & I.T. related folks & most all accounting folks are world class.

Cons(won’t apply in all departments) counter - productive culture, assuming direction at times, double standards, limited advancement opportunities, , hypocrisy, Compensation/advancement/duties/flexibility based on cronyism/nepotism, mediocre communication, inconsistent bureaucracy; lack of identity (copying/obsessing about other competitors activities), little applicable training/inefficient hardware, “information is power” mentality reducing forward progress, you’ll have multiple bosses; all which do not effectively communicate with one another, resource shortage/inefficient delegation yielding large unmanageable workload, feigning.

Advice to Senior ManagementWatch out for PCL!

Excellent Leadership and skill building opportunity

Manager, Applications Development (Former Employee) Jacksonville, FL

ProsWorked with top notch people

ConsReluctant to adopt full lifecycle development practices

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't carry hands off management to the extreme

Mixed Bag

ProsEsprit de Corps
    Supportive Local Senior Management

ConsValue the dividend over everything else
    Benefits get worse year over year
    Limited Career growth

Old timers don't know how to treat and welcome new employees into the company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsBenefits, stability, many locations in which to work, stock market reflects a strong company and good investment for your future.

ConsOutdated systems, poor training for new employees, THE SMELL at the pulp mills, poor performance awards, lack of understanding when it comes to taking days off for family or medical related appointments, shortage or resources creates a large unmanageable workload.

Frustrating

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe company has high employee retention.

ConsIt's all about preserving the dividend.

Worked for Rayonier? Contribute to the Community!