Raytheon Applied Signal Technology

Raytheon Applied Signal Technology President Dr. John R. Treichler

Dr. John R. Treichler

Overrated Government Contractor

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Salt Lake City, UT

Pros-Salary is Above Average
    -You can work from home from time to time(though it is somewhat discouraged)
    -Job Security - you won't get laid off.

Cons-You have to get lucky and get assigned to the right team or the people. You could end up working with a great team or some real jerks.

-I was hired as a Software Engineer. Because a lot of the more experienced people had left, there was little one-on-one training. I was given more QA type tasks.

-Through the interview process you get the idea you would be lucky to work there. After working there you realize that you are getting interviewed because there is a lot of turnover. A lot of people have left in the past couple years. Some of it due to Raytheon taking over, others because of management.

-There is a distortion field about how good of place it is to work. Of all the employees who have left in the last year-none of them have come back(and AST should take them). For a dev shop, it's really below average.

-It's good if you have been there awhile, you can choose what you do. If not you get stuck with the stuff no one else wants to do. If you get hired be prepared for grunt work.

-This is personal preference, but there should be at least somewhat of a dress code. People in flip flops and shorts and crazy beards make the workplace feel sloppy.

Advice to Senior Management-Make the workplace more professional. One manager I had was pretty juvenile.

asdfsfd

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

ProsGet to contribute to the defense industry. Midsize company.

ConsEmployee attrition is high. Although they will ask you where you see yourself in a few years, there are very few vertical employment opportunities. Consequently, software managers are fearful for their positions and if they feel threatened by anyone in their group for engineering skills, they will find any reason to vilify employees on reviews. Middle and upper management have short tempers and they do tend to talk behind each others backs. Many of the elder employees are adamant to sticking with the status quo, which makes this the perfect opposite of a startup. To top it off, they will resist visits from food trucks, even though there are no cafeterias.

Great benefits and work-life balance.

ProsBest benefits for a medium/large defense contractor.

ConsAbsorption by large Raytheon parent will likely diminish benefits over time.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great learning experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIt had a small company feel where I felt as if I knew everyone

ConsSince the Raytheon acquisition, management was shaken up. Made my job and company feel very unstable. Politics are big here too.

Advice to Senior ManagementDO more, less poltics

Forward thinking, employee oriented company

Human Resource Manager (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsEmployee oriented, state of art technology

Conscorporate changes resulted in benefit reductions and different business focus

Advice to Senior Managementnone

I just came back after leaving for a year.

Senior Software Developer (Current Employee) Salt Lake City, UT

ProsExcellent management
    Great group of people to work with
    Interesting projects

ConsThe work is fast paced with many projects. There aren't many chances to settle in to work on the same thing for extended periods.

Still converting to Raytheon procedures after the buyout a year and a half ago.

It's a government contracting firm with TS required.. 'nough said

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

ProsThey do quite advanced stuff, well at least I think so since my clearance never quite came through. I know that a bunch of people who left joined Google, and well were well received in other places, so I can say that overall people are pretty smart and if you get to do real work, it can be a cool project.

ConsI was an engineer, so this might not apply to everybody... So (all?) engineers getssubmitted for Top Secret clearance, and well it is expected of everyone to behave in a way to be able to obtain one. If you don't know what this process entails - research it before considering a job here.
    Nowadays it's gotta be even more corporate now that Raytheon owns AST.. I was gone during one of the layoff rounds, and primary reason I believe that my clearance didn't come through by that time.. and well I wasn't really motivated to be an overachiever so I would be left employed regardless either. Without TS you are doing grunt work, really boring stuff since you are not allowed to understand what you are working on, since it's a secret.. yep it's a loop.
    I've had something like 3 managers simultaneously (career manager?, team and group ones), hopefully now it's reorganized under Raytheon, but I've heard otherwise from some of the guys still there.
    Working for government contracts you have to consider - you might be a stellar employee, but if the contract for work you've been doing has been lost by the company, you would have to compete with other employees for having any work to do, and it's not a very healthy atmosphere when that is actually the case.
    I did not feel strongly about career opportunities, due to the military like atmosphere - 'work 5 years, then if all goes well we might consider changing your title' - not exciting at all, but that could have just been personal experience.
    They did low-ball me on the salary, but I was moving from the East Coast and did not have many options so I signed up with them. My next job compensation was 10k+ for the same level position. I do believe this speaks volumes about AST. Maybe different with Raytheon now.

Great place to work

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

Prosvery flexible, lots of opportunities to work with different languages, good career growth

ConsSenior management could be better.

Advice to Senior Managementnone.

Small Staff = Lots of Work to be done, for better or for worse

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

Pros- Benefits package is pretty good, especially if you don't have a family
    - Some departments are very young (new college grads) so it has a youthful appeal
    - Some departments develop and employ leading edge technologies
    - Encouraged to take classes to further develop own skills
    - Though there is much work to be done, work/life balance ok, as long as you get your work done
    - Raise percentages are fairly reasonable

Cons- Government contractor = DAILY time cards
    - Need to be US Citizen to get security clearances (a requirement for engineers)
    - Not much knowledge sharing, must learn it on your own
    - Can sometimes get pigeon-holed into specific type of work, limiting skills/career growth
    - Upper level management does not have good handle on what to focus technical talent on
    - In some ways, government contracts up for bid dictate direction of company

Advice to Senior ManagementI realize this is a chicken and egg problem, but it would be nice if you hired more engineers so that those employed aren't stuck with an overload of work. I know that the issue is without contracts funding such hires, it's hard to do that. But maybe a little more R&D funding to facilitate that...?

Good small to medium sized company.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

ProsEnvironment supports individual and team accomplishments.
    Only shared (typically two people) and private office space - hard offices, no cubicals.
    Other work environments are labs and SCIFs.
    Salaries and benefits, including profit sharing are good.
    Contracts awarded where Appsig is the prime do exist and are the best contracts to work.

ConsSenior management is average at best as they are not very progressive except for the CTO.
    Most of the senior management has been with the company over fifteen years, and as such tend not to be open to new ideas from new personnel.
    Contracts as a subcontractor with larger prime tend to be dramatically underfunded.

Advice to Senior ManagementCompany leadership needs to better position the company on bids as a subcontractor, when it chooses to bid on this type of work.

Worked for Raytheon Applied Signal Technology? Contribute to the Community!