Raytheon Applied Signal Technology

Updated May 9, 2014
3.4

Raytheon Applied Signal Technology President Dr. John R. Treichler
Dr. John R. Treichler

Wonderful company to work at!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Raytheon Applied Signal Technology full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Training advancement, great atmosphere, great people.

Cons

Company acquired approx. 3 yrs ago. Tough integration.

Unemployment is preferable to employment at Raytheon Applied Signal Technology.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Raytheon Applied Signal Technology full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible schedule (with the right manager).

Cons

Poor decision making by upper management.
    Unreasonable workload.
    Lack of resources.
    (Loss of) Benefits.

Fire yourselves and let someone with the proper experience and attitude attempt to fix the problems you've created with your lack of insight. You've lost the ability to act as a small company once you allowed yourselves to be bought by Raytheon and things will only continue to get worse for Raytheon AST as long as you will not be able to accept this truth and adapt to the current reality.

Great place to work until big red took over.

Former Employee - Senior Development Engineer  in  Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Development Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Raytheon Applied Signal Technology full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great people and you can learn alot if you get a clearance. Its a gov sub contractor so 90/80 woot

Cons

Lots of gov red tape, most if not all systems have to work on an intranet not hooked to the internet. Tech stack is old stuff, can't bring in new stuff.

Give some thought to new technologies and not be stuck in the stone age, but I guess you'll need to convince the old cronies for more money to do it.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A great company utterly ruined by Raytheon and Management

I worked at Raytheon Applied Signal Technology full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The technology is cutting edge, but unfortunately mostly classified. Many of the people are great to work with. You arguably play a critical role in the security of the United States.

Cons

Compensation is weak unless you're in Contracts, Business Operations, HR or Security. And yes, that makes no sense at all.

Raytheon acquisition of this company has ruined it. In addition to adding wasteful and abusive processes, they have removed many managers and replaced them with mostly incompetent, ignorant and generally derided managers. Working with them makes you think you're working for the stodgy Government -- stale, narrow minded, lazy and hypocritical practices. People here almost unanimously dislike all of upper management other than the current CEO, who is generally widely beloved. But he no longer has much power over anything other than engineering.

Career pathing is nearly nonexistent. You have to fight for every single piece of advancement you get, if any at all.

Compensation is wildly inconsistent -- some people are hellaciously overpaid, while others are making unfairly meager wages.

Lots of deadwood in non-technical areas such as the Finance Division, especially in Security, Business Operations and Contracts.

The Human Resources department is widely regarded as the worst everyone has ever seen. No one trusts them. They are totally unprofessional, particularly the HR leadership at the top. They foster a culture of fear and have far too much power. They have forgotten that they are a service organization. I would say they are completely and utterly useless, but they're worse than that. They do a lot of damage to the company. Of the dozens of people who left this place unhappy, the vast majority of them cite HR (and career pathing) as the major reasons.

Finally: beware. This subsidiary of Raytheon is going down. AST survived because our customers liked dealing with really smart people at a small, effective, reactive company. It is no longer small, not nearly as effective, not reactive, and even a bunch of the smart people saw the writing on the wall and left. There is a really strong opportunity for someone or some people to try to start "AST v.2". Customers don't like Raytheon at all and would readily give their business to a new set of people.

Be as objective in evaluating your management as you are in evaluating your costs and ways to cut them. Identify young talent and ensure they have a career path, rather than forcing them to speak up and rattle a cage. Stick up for people other than the engineers. No one likes being in a caste system, let alone in the wrong caste. Don't let Raytheon shove nonsense down your throats, particularly Raytheon managers. Protect IR&D spending. Raze the HR department to the ground and start with HR employees from modern day companies, and not ones who seem to have had prior jobs as HR representatives for the Taliban (joke, not serious).

Great co-workers

Current Employee - Software Engineer II  in  West Valley City, UT
    Current Employee - Software Engineer II in West Valley City, UT

I have been working at Raytheon Applied Signal Technology full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Some of the smartest people I have ever worked with.

Cons

The Raytheon buyout added bureaucracy.

Interesting place to work at

Former Employee - Software Engineer III
    Former Employee - Software Engineer III

I worked at Raytheon Applied Signal Technology full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The employees were great, and the managers were great. It's a good place to work right out of college. You definitely learn about C++.

Cons

They don't use a lot of new technologies, just what the customer may ask us to use.

Consistent and stable work, nothing groundbreaking or cutting edge.

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Raytheon Applied Signal Technology full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Management is always experienced and usually get promoted from within, so they have a deep history with the company. There is always work to do, if funding gets cut for a team, you get placed on another and pick up work. They're very flexible with my schedule, I can come and go as I please, as long as I finish my work - they're fine with working from home.

Cons

Year after year, benefits seem to be getting cut. Monthly BBQs/lunches went to yearly. It's very hard to move up the corporate chain because people are here for the long haul. The perks are very limited, no ESPP or stock options. 10-15% underpaid at this company, that's true of most defense companies. Good place to start a career.

Give more perks. Need to treat employees with rewards so they're retained. Management needs to look at the market and evaluate salary increases so the company remains competitive and can keep its talent.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Annapolis Junction, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Annapolis Junction, MD

Pros

Plenty of Contracts to move around the company.

Cons

Career path is not clear.

Some offices and groups are like family, but dealing with corporate never gets better

Former Employee - Engineer  in  Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Raytheon Applied Signal Technology full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Exciting Technologies. Mostly family friendly scheduling. Worked with some very competent people. Good place to start a career.

Cons

Being a public company has eaten the soul out of a small company, then dropped it in the belly of bigger fish. While Dr. Treichler works to protect the little guy, benefits go down each year to meet the demands of first the market, then Raytheon. Just adds more bureaucracy.

Pay engineers what they're worth. It's demoralizing to hang around in a company that won't look at the market around you.

Overall good place to work. Great benefits, competitive pay, good work / life balance.

Current Employee - Senior Cyber Engineer  in  Annapolis Junction, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Cyber Engineer in Annapolis Junction, MD

I have been working at Raytheon Applied Signal Technology full-time for more than a year

Pros

Overall, working for AST, now part of Raytheon IIS, has been a good experience. Leadership here is very open and upfront, they care (seemingly) about your career aspirations and do what they can to find you a good match, and the benefits and compensation are above most companies in the area. If you are looking for a really good on-site experience, meaning coming to work on your client site and doing your job, this is a great place to do that. Being part of larger Raytheon allows for more potential opportunities.

Cons

Absorbtion by larger Raytheon has changed the culture some, with efforts slowing down, the environment becoming more political, etc - typical behemoth company stuff.

The company isn't very forward thinking, despite what they like to say. I've suggested several business ideas that would easily integrate into our current portfolio, but was reminded that our "forward thinking" mentality means that we work on initiatives that our customers want rather than trying to build a brand and redefine the industry. That part is a bit upsetting, and my thoughts are if we aren't going to do it then another company will and probably is. So in that regard we're still in the past.

There are also the typical large company budget issues, small raises (even if you get promoted), and limited opportunity for actual advancement.

Communication and planning can be a bit better as well - for example, with the latest government shutdown there was virtually zero communication about it from the company, and they legitimately did not have a plan outside of waiting for guidance from contract primes. They had no internal guidance or ability to support anyone on overhead, provide billable training etc, when many other companies (including larger ones such as Booz Allen, Northrop Grumman, etc) had clear defined plans for supporting their employees.

Step out of your comfort zone, don't be risk adverse and inflexible, invest more in R&D and redefining the industry, and reward employees for pushing your limits. Do as you say and actually be forward thinking, and support your employees during unforseen events.

Worked for Raytheon Applied Signal Technology? Contribute to the Community!