Raytheon Applied Signal Technology

Reset

1. Great co-workers

Current Employee - Software Engineer II in West Valley City, UT
    Current Employee - Software Engineer II in West Valley City, UT

I have been working at Raytheon Applied Signal Technology full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the smartest people I have ever worked with.

Cons

The Raytheon buyout added bureaucracy.

2. Interesting place to work at

Former Employee - Software Engineer III
    Former Employee - Software Engineer III

I worked at Raytheon Applied Signal Technology full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The employees were great, and the managers were great. It's a good place to work right out of college. You definitely learn about C++.

Cons

They don't use a lot of new technologies, just what the customer may ask us to use.

3. Consistent and stable work, nothing groundbreaking or cutting edge.

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Raytheon Applied Signal Technology full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Management is always experienced and usually get promoted from within, so they have a deep history with the company. There is always work to do, if funding gets cut for a team, you get placed on another and pick up work. They're very flexible with my schedule, I can come and go as I please, as long as I finish my work - they're fine with working from home.

Cons

Year after year, benefits seem to be getting cut. Monthly BBQs/lunches went to yearly. It's very hard to move up the corporate chain because people are here for the long haul. The perks are very limited, no ESPP or stock options. 10-15% underpaid at this company, that's true of most defense companies. Good place to start a career.

Advice to Management

Give more perks. Need to treat employees with rewards so they're retained. Management needs to look at the market and evaluate salary increases so the company remains competitive and can keep its talent.

5. Great place to work

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Annapolis Junction, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Annapolis Junction, MD

Pros

Plenty of Contracts to move around the company.

Cons

Career path is not clear.

6. Some offices and groups are like family, but dealing with corporate never gets better

Former Employee - Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Raytheon Applied Signal Technology full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Exciting Technologies. Mostly family friendly scheduling. Worked with some very competent people. Good place to start a career.

Cons

Being a public company has eaten the soul out of a small company, then dropped it in the belly of bigger fish. While Dr. Treichler works to protect the little guy, benefits go down each year to meet the demands of first the market, then Raytheon. Just adds more bureaucracy.

Advice to Management

Pay engineers what they're worth. It's demoralizing to hang around in a company that won't look at the market around you.

7. Overall good place to work. Great benefits, competitive pay, good work / life balance.

Current Employee - Senior Cyber Engineer in Annapolis Junction, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Cyber Engineer in Annapolis Junction, MD

I have been working at Raytheon Applied Signal Technology full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Overall, working for AST, now part of Raytheon IIS, has been a good experience. Leadership here is very open and upfront, they care (seemingly) about your career aspirations and do what they can to find you a good match, and the benefits and compensation are above most companies in the area. If you are looking for a really good on-site experience, meaning coming to work on your client site and doing your job, this is a great place to do that. Being part of larger Raytheon allows for more potential opportunities.

Cons

Absorbtion by larger Raytheon has changed the culture some, with efforts slowing down, the environment becoming more political, etc - typical behemoth company stuff. The company isn't very forward thinking, despite what they like to say. I've suggested several business ideas that would easily integrate into our current portfolio, but was reminded that our "forward thinking" mentality means that we work on initiatives that our customers want rather than trying to build a brand and redefine the industry. That part is a bit upsetting, and my thoughts are if we aren't going to do it then another company will and probably is. So in that regard we're still in the past. There are also the typical large company budget issues, small raises (even if you get promoted), and limited opportunity for actual advancement. Communication and planning can be a bit better as well - for example, with the latest government shutdown there was virtually zero communication about it from the company, and they legitimately did not have a plan outside of waiting for guidance from contract primes. They had no internal guidance or ability to support anyone on overhead, provide billable training etc, when many other companies (including larger ones such as Booz Allen, Northrop Grumman, etc) had clear defined plans for supporting their employees.

Advice to Management

Step out of your comfort zone, don't be risk adverse and inflexible, invest more in R&D and redefining the industry, and reward employees for pushing your limits. Do as you say and actually be forward thinking, and support your employees during unforseen events.

8. Overrated Government Contractor

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Raytheon Applied Signal Technology full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Salary is Above Average -You can work from home from time to time(though it is somewhat discouraged) -Job Security - you won't get laid off.

Cons

-You have to get lucky and get assigned to the right team or the people. You could end up working with a great team or some real jerks. -I was hired as a Software Engineer. Because a lot of the more experienced people had left, there was little one-on-one training. I was given more QA type tasks. -Through the interview process you get the idea you would be lucky to work there. After working there you realize that you are getting interviewed because there is a lot of turnover. A lot of people have left in the past couple years. Some of it due to Raytheon taking over, others because of management. -There is a distortion field about how good of place it is to work. Of all the employees who have left in the last year-none of them have come back(and AST should take them). For a dev shop, it's really below average. -It's good if you have been there awhile, you can choose what you do. If not you get stuck with the stuff no one else wants to do. If you get hired be prepared for grunt work. -This is personal preference, but there should be at least somewhat of a dress code. People in flip flops and shorts and crazy beards make the workplace feel sloppy.

Advice to Management

-Make the workplace more professional. One manager I had was pretty juvenile.

9. asdfsfd

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

Pros

Get to contribute to the defense industry. Midsize company.

Cons

Employee attrition is high. Although they will ask you where you see yourself in a few years, there are very few vertical employment opportunities. Consequently, software managers are fearful for their positions and if they feel threatened by anyone in their group for engineering skills, they will find any reason to vilify employees on reviews. Middle and upper management have short tempers and they do tend to talk behind each others backs. Many of the elder employees are adamant to sticking with the status quo, which makes this the perfect opposite of a startup. To top it off, they will resist visits from food trucks, even though there are no cafeterias.

10. Great benefits and work-life balance.

I have been working at Raytheon Applied Signal Technology full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Best benefits for a medium/large defense contractor.

Cons

Absorption by large Raytheon parent will likely diminish benefits over time.

11. Great learning experience

Pros

It had a small company feel where I felt as if I knew everyone

Cons

Since the Raytheon acquisition, management was shaken up. Made my job and company feel very unstable. Politics are big here too.

Advice to Management

DO more, less poltics

RSS Feed </> Embed