Raytheon Applied Signal Technology Reviews

Updated March 20, 2015
30 reviews filtered by

1. Some offices and groups are like family, but dealing with corporate never gets better

Former Employee - Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Raytheon Applied Signal Technology full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Exciting Technologies. Mostly family friendly scheduling. Worked with some very competent people. Good place to start a career.

Cons

Being a public company has eaten the soul out of a small company, then dropped it in the belly of bigger fish. While Dr. Treichler works to protect the little guy, benefits go down each year to meet the demands of first the market, then Raytheon. Just adds more bureaucracy.

Pay engineers what they're worth. It's demoralizing to hang around in a company that won't look at the market around you.

2. Overall good place to work. Great benefits, competitive pay, good work / life balance.

Current Employee - Senior Cyber Engineer in Annapolis Junction, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Cyber Engineer in Annapolis Junction, MD

I have been working at Raytheon Applied Signal Technology full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Overall, working for AST, now part of Raytheon IIS, has been a good experience. Leadership here is very open and upfront, they care (seemingly) about your career aspirations and do what they can to find you a good match, and the benefits and compensation are above most companies in the area. If you are looking for a really good on-site experience, meaning coming to work on your client site and doing your job, this is a great place to do that. Being part of larger Raytheon allows for more potential opportunities.

Cons

Absorbtion by larger Raytheon has changed the culture some, with efforts slowing down, the environment becoming more political, etc - typical behemoth company stuff.

The company isn't very forward thinking, despite what they like to say. I've suggested several business ideas that would easily integrate into our current portfolio, but was reminded that our "forward thinking" mentality means that we work on initiatives that our customers want rather than trying to build a brand and redefine the industry. That part is a bit upsetting, and my thoughts are if we aren't going to do it then another company will and probably is. So in that regard we're still in the past.

There are also the typical large company budget issues, small raises (even if you get promoted), and limited opportunity for actual advancement.

Communication and planning can be a bit better as well - for example, with the latest government shutdown there was virtually zero communication about it from the company, and they legitimately did not have a plan outside of waiting for guidance from contract primes. They had no internal guidance or ability to support anyone on overhead, provide billable training etc, when many other companies (including larger ones such as Booz Allen, Northrop Grumman, etc) had clear defined plans for supporting their employees.

Step out of your comfort zone, don't be risk adverse and inflexible, invest more in R&D and redefining the industry, and reward employees for pushing your limits. Do as you say and actually be forward thinking, and support your employees during unforseen events.

3. Overrated Government Contractor

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Raytheon Applied Signal Technology full-time (less than a year)

Pros

-Salary is Above Average
    -You can work from home from time to time(though it is somewhat discouraged)
    -Job Security - you won't get laid off.

Cons

-You have to get lucky and get assigned to the right team or the people. You could end up working with a great team or some real jerks.

-I was hired as a Software Engineer. Because a lot of the more experienced people had left, there was little one-on-one training. I was given more QA type tasks.

-Through the interview process you get the idea you would be lucky to work there. After working there you realize that you are getting interviewed because there is a lot of turnover. A lot of people have left in the past couple years. Some of it due to Raytheon taking over, others because of management.

-There is a distortion field about how good of place it is to work. Of all the employees who have left in the last year-none of them have come back(and AST should take them). For a dev shop, it's really below average.

-It's good if you have been there awhile, you can choose what you do. If not you get stuck with the stuff no one else wants to do. If you get hired be prepared for grunt work.

-This is personal preference, but there should be at least somewhat of a dress code. People in flip flops and shorts and crazy beards make the workplace feel sloppy.

-Make the workplace more professional. One manager I had was pretty juvenile.

5. asdfsfd

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

Pros

Get to contribute to the defense industry. Midsize company.

Cons

Employee attrition is high. Although they will ask you where you see yourself in a few years, there are very few vertical employment opportunities. Consequently, software managers are fearful for their positions and if they feel threatened by anyone in their group for engineering skills, they will find any reason to vilify employees on reviews. Middle and upper management have short tempers and they do tend to talk behind each others backs. Many of the elder employees are adamant to sticking with the status quo, which makes this the perfect opposite of a startup. To top it off, they will resist visits from food trucks, even though there are no cafeterias.

6. Great benefits and work-life balance.

I have been working at Raytheon Applied Signal Technology full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Best benefits for a medium/large defense contractor.

Cons

Absorption by large Raytheon parent will likely diminish benefits over time.

7. Great learning experience

I worked at Raytheon Applied Signal Technology

Pros

It had a small company feel where I felt as if I knew everyone

Cons

Since the Raytheon acquisition, management was shaken up. Made my job and company feel very unstable. Politics are big here too.

DO more, less poltics

8. Forward thinking, employee oriented company

Former Employee - Human Resource Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Human Resource Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at Raytheon Applied Signal Technology full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Employee oriented, state of art technology

Cons

corporate changes resulted in benefit reductions and different business focus

none

9. I just came back after leaving for a year.

Current Contractor - Senior Software Developer in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Contractor - Senior Software Developer in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Raytheon Applied Signal Technology as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent management
    Great group of people to work with
    Interesting projects

Cons

The work is fast paced with many projects. There aren't many chances to settle in to work on the same thing for extended periods.

Still converting to Raytheon procedures after the buyout a year and a half ago.

10. It's a government contracting firm with TS required.. 'nough said

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Raytheon Applied Signal Technology full-time (more than a year)

Pros

They do quite advanced stuff, well at least I think so since my clearance never quite came through. I know that a bunch of people who left joined Google, and well were well received in other places, so I can say that overall people are pretty smart and if you get to do real work, it can be a cool project.

Cons

I was an engineer, so this might not apply to everybody... So (all?) engineers getssubmitted for Top Secret clearance, and well it is expected of everyone to behave in a way to be able to obtain one. If you don't know what this process entails - research it before considering a job here.
    Nowadays it's gotta be even more corporate now that Raytheon owns AST.. I was gone during one of the layoff rounds, and primary reason I believe that my clearance didn't come through by that time.. and well I wasn't really motivated to be an overachiever so I would be left employed regardless either. Without TS you are doing grunt work, really boring stuff since you are not allowed to understand what you are working on, since it's a secret.. yep it's a loop.
    I've had something like 3 managers simultaneously (career manager?, team and group ones), hopefully now it's reorganized under Raytheon, but I've heard otherwise from some of the guys still there.
    Working for government contracts you have to consider - you might be a stellar employee, but if the contract for work you've been doing has been lost by the company, you would have to compete with other employees for having any work to do, and it's not a very healthy atmosphere when that is actually the case.
    I did not feel strongly about career opportunities, due to the military like atmosphere - 'work 5 years, then if all goes well we might consider changing your title' - not exciting at all, but that could have just been personal experience.
    They did low-ball me on the salary, but I was moving from the East Coast and did not have many options so I signed up with them. My next job compensation was 10k+ for the same level position. I do believe this speaks volumes about AST. Maybe different with Raytheon now.

11. Great place to work

I worked at Raytheon Applied Signal Technology

Pros

very flexible, lots of opportunities to work with different languages, good career growth

Cons

Senior management could be better.

none.