Raytheon Applied Signal Technology

3.4

Raytheon Applied Signal Technology President Dr. John R. Treichler
Dr. John R. Treichler

14 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Wonderful company to work at!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Raytheon Applied Signal Technology full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Training advancement, great atmosphere, great people.

Cons

Company acquired approx. 3 yrs ago. Tough integration.

Unemployment is preferable to employment at Raytheon Applied Signal Technology.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Raytheon Applied Signal Technology full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule (with the right manager).

Cons

Poor decision making by upper management.
    Unreasonable workload.
    Lack of resources.
    (Loss of) Benefits.

Fire yourselves and let someone with the proper experience and attitude attempt to fix the problems you've created with your lack of insight. You've lost the ability to act as a small company once you allowed yourselves to be bought by Raytheon and things will only continue to get worse for Raytheon AST as long as you will not be able to accept this truth and adapt to the current reality.

Great place to work until big red took over.

Former Employee - Senior Development Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Development Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Raytheon Applied Signal Technology full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great people and you can learn alot if you get a clearance. Its a gov sub contractor so 90/80 woot

Cons

Lots of gov red tape, most if not all systems have to work on an intranet not hooked to the internet. Tech stack is old stuff, can't bring in new stuff.

Give some thought to new technologies and not be stuck in the stone age, but I guess you'll need to convince the old cronies for more money to do it.

Consistent and stable work, nothing groundbreaking or cutting edge.

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Raytheon Applied Signal Technology full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Management is always experienced and usually get promoted from within, so they have a deep history with the company. There is always work to do, if funding gets cut for a team, you get placed on another and pick up work. They're very flexible with my schedule, I can come and go as I please, as long as I finish my work - they're fine with working from home.

Cons

Year after year, benefits seem to be getting cut. Monthly BBQs/lunches went to yearly. It's very hard to move up the corporate chain because people are here for the long haul. The perks are very limited, no ESPP or stock options. 10-15% underpaid at this company, that's true of most defense companies. Good place to start a career.

Give more perks. Need to treat employees with rewards so they're retained. Management needs to look at the market and evaluate salary increases so the company remains competitive and can keep its talent.

asdfsfd

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Raytheon Applied Signal Technology full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Get to contribute to the defense industry. Midsize company.

Cons

Employee attrition is high. Although they will ask you where you see yourself in a few years, there are very few vertical employment opportunities. Consequently, software managers are fearful for their positions and if they feel threatened by anyone in their group for engineering skills, they will find any reason to vilify employees on reviews. Middle and upper management have short tempers and they do tend to talk behind each others backs. Many of the elder employees are adamant to sticking with the status quo, which makes this the perfect opposite of a startup. To top it off, they will resist visits from food trucks, even though there are no cafeterias.

It's a government contracting firm with TS required.. 'nough said

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Raytheon Applied Signal Technology full-time (more than a year)

Pros

They do quite advanced stuff, well at least I think so since my clearance never quite came through. I know that a bunch of people who left joined Google, and well were well received in other places, so I can say that overall people are pretty smart and if you get to do real work, it can be a cool project.

Cons

I was an engineer, so this might not apply to everybody... So (all?) engineers getssubmitted for Top Secret clearance, and well it is expected of everyone to behave in a way to be able to obtain one. If you don't know what this process entails - research it before considering a job here.
    Nowadays it's gotta be even more corporate now that Raytheon owns AST.. I was gone during one of the layoff rounds, and primary reason I believe that my clearance didn't come through by that time.. and well I wasn't really motivated to be an overachiever so I would be left employed regardless either. Without TS you are doing grunt work, really boring stuff since you are not allowed to understand what you are working on, since it's a secret.. yep it's a loop.
    I've had something like 3 managers simultaneously (career manager?, team and group ones), hopefully now it's reorganized under Raytheon, but I've heard otherwise from some of the guys still there.
    Working for government contracts you have to consider - you might be a stellar employee, but if the contract for work you've been doing has been lost by the company, you would have to compete with other employees for having any work to do, and it's not a very healthy atmosphere when that is actually the case.
    I did not feel strongly about career opportunities, due to the military like atmosphere - 'work 5 years, then if all goes well we might consider changing your title' - not exciting at all, but that could have just been personal experience.
    They did low-ball me on the salary, but I was moving from the East Coast and did not have many options so I signed up with them. My next job compensation was 10k+ for the same level position. I do believe this speaks volumes about AST. Maybe different with Raytheon now.

Great place to work

I worked at Raytheon Applied Signal Technology

Pros

very flexible, lots of opportunities to work with different languages, good career growth

Cons

Senior management could be better.

none.

Small Staff = Lots of Work to be done, for better or for worse

I have been working at Raytheon Applied Signal Technology

Pros

- Benefits package is pretty good, especially if you don't have a family
    - Some departments are very young (new college grads) so it has a youthful appeal
    - Some departments develop and employ leading edge technologies
    - Encouraged to take classes to further develop own skills
    - Though there is much work to be done, work/life balance ok, as long as you get your work done
    - Raise percentages are fairly reasonable

Cons

- Government contractor = DAILY time cards
    - Need to be US Citizen to get security clearances (a requirement for engineers)
    - Not much knowledge sharing, must learn it on your own
    - Can sometimes get pigeon-holed into specific type of work, limiting skills/career growth
    - Upper level management does not have good handle on what to focus technical talent on
    - In some ways, government contracts up for bid dictate direction of company

I realize this is a chicken and egg problem, but it would be nice if you hired more engineers so that those employed aren't stuck with an overload of work. I know that the issue is without contracts funding such hires, it's hard to do that. But maybe a little more R&D funding to facilitate that...?

Good small to medium sized company.

I worked at Raytheon Applied Signal Technology

Pros

Environment supports individual and team accomplishments.
    Only shared (typically two people) and private office space - hard offices, no cubicals.
    Other work environments are labs and SCIFs.
    Salaries and benefits, including profit sharing are good.
    Contracts awarded where Appsig is the prime do exist and are the best contracts to work.

Cons

Senior management is average at best as they are not very progressive except for the CTO.
    Most of the senior management has been with the company over fifteen years, and as such tend not to be open to new ideas from new personnel.
    Contracts as a subcontractor with larger prime tend to be dramatically underfunded.

Company leadership needs to better position the company on bids as a subcontractor, when it chooses to bid on this type of work.

Applied Signal

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Raytheon Applied Signal Technology

Pros

The job is very stable, and it's a good jumping off point. Most of the engineers here are quite competent.

Cons

Raises are small, as in most govt. contracting/sub-contracting facilities

Higher raises, faster promotions, more opportunities for entry level engineers