Raytheon BBN Technologies Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.4
Ed Campbell

Pros
  • Great people, and good work-life balance (in 9 reviews)

• BBN is a legendary research company and it's fun to work alongside such smart people (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • One of the senior management officials once told me that, in order to be successful at BBN, you need to possess "functional A (in 4 reviews)

• The defense budget cuts have hurt, but it seems like we've hit bottom and are in a recovery mode (in 3 reviews)

1. Analyst

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Raytheon BBN Technologies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I actually left here years prior to 2011 but I didn't have that option. Loved the culture, ability to grow and learn, even the Cambridge commute was easy because it wasn't in the heart of Cambridge.

Cons

I can't even recall... overall, I enjoyed it there very much.

2. Dangerous Combination of Arrogance and Ignorance

Former Employee - Staff Scientist in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Staff Scientist in Boston, MA

I worked at Raytheon BBN Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

An S&P 500 company, with comps and perks. You will retire peacefully when you are 25. It's also known to be the third campus. Indeed, long long time ago, there was famous luminaries worked in the company before. You can brag about them in parties.

Cons

Several reviewers have mentioned these points before but I don't mind to repeat them because the company has serious issues. 1, If you are not writing contract, your life is similar to peasants in middle age. You worked a lot but your merit is constantly stolen. 2, The review system is still based on stack-ranking. They always try to differentiate the best and the "best"er. The result is there is a constant outflow of good people. The management is very proud to say we always new young people. The truth is many decides to live after a few year or even few months. 3, If you are unlucky, managers are very aggressive to push you and take up merits in the process. There are benefits of going to school but you were constantly discouraged from learning. 4, There is no open-minded feedback system. I remember there was one "feedback session" with the then-CEO, we were asked to speak out questions which were pre-written. There was no conversations. Employees cannot add more in the process. Lastly, I don't think everyone is evil within the company. But if a company has system which breeds so many issues. It tell you quite a lot about the company.

Advice to Management

Be open-minded to feedback, nurture new people. Care about the process but not the product. May be BBN can be a good company again.

3. RA

Former Intern - Ra in Cambridge, MA
    Former Intern - Ra in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Raytheon BBN Technologies as an intern (More than 5 years)

Pros

great place to work for. will learn a lot from them. they are good at speech language processing.

Cons

not many open positions, bossy. depends too much on government's money to survive.

IT Staff

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Raytheon BBN Technologies full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great people! Flexible work environment, and ability to work from home.

Cons

Research dollars are tougher to come by today.

End of an Era (or Error?)

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Raytheon BBN Technologies full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Best reasons are the retirement benefits and working with smart people

Cons

Every year more benefits are being taken away and replaced (maybe) with Raytheon's inferior benefits. When BBN was bought by Raytheon, the management made it sound as if both companies could learn from each other. Though as far as I can tell, nobody at Raytheon was listening or cares. It's more about following policy and fitting the mold than being innovative. The long term Raytheon folks seem more afraid to making mistakes and have to push every decision up several levels of management.

Advice to Management

Let BBN run as a Raytheon company (subsidiary), work with them, not against them. Or say goodbye to the history and talent you spent so much money to acquire.

Too many management changes and issues.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Pros

If you're lucky to have a good manager/supervisor, you can work on some really interesting projects and feel like you're contributing to something important.

Cons

Management often doesn't have a very good sense of how best to use their employees. I got tired of sitting on a back burner, being told that they didn't know what to do with me. I had no opportunity for personal or career growth. Due to the constant changes within the company, people just kept getting shuffled around, just to make ends meet.

Advice to Management

There needs to be some serious training on how to improve management skills, and to try to maintain some better consistency within the company.

In decline

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Cambridge, MA

Pros

Great technologists and knowledgeable experts in everything computer related.

Cons

Hidebound management living off of a proud past.

Use to be great, now in sharp decline

Current Employee - Senior Scientist in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Scientist in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Raytheon BBN Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good compensation relative to similar positions at other companies. Multiple bonus plans. Flexible hours. Everyone gets their own office. Work is very interesting.

Cons

Benefits are in sharp decline since Raytheon has started asserting dominance. Persistent fear of being laid off because of lack of work. No plan, strategy, or vision to grow business beyond government based contract R&D to offset losses resulting from DoD budget cuts and sequestration.

Advice to Management

The business model of depending on a limitless stream of money from the government for R&D doesn't work anymore. Find a new business before Raytheon dismantles the company.

10. Excellent for personal growth

Current Employee - Scientist in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Scientist in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Raytheon BBN Technologies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you're a self starter and ambitious this is a great place to work. The talent is top notch. The projects and topic areas you'll work on will change frequently.

Cons

There is wild variation in the experiences of junior staff across the business units of the company. Middle management will influence your experience at BBN.

Advice to Management

how about a salary review? keep it real.

11. Smart people solving challenging problems

Current Employee - Lead Scientist in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Lead Scientist in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Raytheon BBN Technologies full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

True meritocracy, where talent is rewarded and managers are held accountable Diverse and ever-changing work so you never get bored Smart people that are fun to work with Competitive salaries and benefits Well respected within the government research community

Cons

Raytheon purchase is slowly changing company culture and eroding employee confidence and loyalty Short-term focus on profits Different business units compete instead of working together

Advice to Management

Stop Raytheon before they kill the company

RSS Feed </> Embed