Raytheon BBN Technologies

Updated September 13, 2014
Updated September 13, 2014
3.8

Ed Campbell

Pros
  • Great people, and good work-life balance (in 9 reviews)

• BBN hires smart people and expects you to use your intelligence to solve difficult problems (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • General fear in the air regarding the aftermaths of being acquired by Raytheon (in 3 reviews)

• support mechanisms to help with career advancement, and the minute your billability drops too low, they're more than willing to lay you off (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Pleasant experience

Current Employee - Scientist  in  Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Scientist in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Raytheon BBN Technologies full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great people, and good work-life balance. People are self-driven and above average smart. Projects are typically short duration: on average 1.5 years per project, and 3-4 team members. So its a dynamic environment with constantly new projects/skills required, and its experimental to the most part.

Cons

The nature of DARPA business is small projects, short time span. This means over time you change a lot of projects, and you don't get to follow through on projects and make an impact- even though the quality of the work is top notch in most cases. Its just the project lifecycle.

Great people, great research

Former Employee - Graduate Research Intern  in  Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Graduate Research Intern in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Raytheon BBN Technologies as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Interesting research projects, professional satisfaction, flexible hours, easy working environment.

Cons

Pace of the company is a bit slow, compensation is not great.

Top of the class engineering, threatened by Raytheon bureaucracy

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Raytheon BBN Technologies full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Challenging work on medium-sized, interesting projects. Smart colleagues, easy information sharing. Easy going pace compatible for family-work balance. Competitive salary. Flexibility to pursue projects that are of interest to you if you can find a sponsor.

Cons

Diminishing job security as federal budgets fluctuate. Integration with Raytheon adding bureaucracy and diminishing some benefits. Deep geek culture appears to be fading.

Keep BBN independent from Raytheon as much as possible.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I'm glad I went there earlier, but time to leave

I have been working at Raytheon BBN Technologies

Pros

BBN has been a pretty good place for me overall. I learned lots of new hard and soft skills and had lots of fun on new projects. The pay wasn't horrible and there is plenty of parking.

Cons

The line managers are horrible - very cliquish. If you're in clique, you're golden, but when you fall out of favor, expect to get stabbed in the back. Benefits have begun to suck since the acquisition. My coworkers complain that the placement of corporate drones from Raytheon into key senior management positions have killed any kind of innovation in the company, but I contend that BBN senior management was quite good at screwing up way before Raytheon took over. Work life balance also sucks. We're required to maintain 40 hours per week for government contracting, but everyone with any career ambition works 60+.

The company is falling apart. Why fight it? Help your employees move on to their next roles. If you're the last one there, don't forget to turn off the lights.

Very smart people who are also great co-workers.

Former Employee - Software Engineer  in  Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Raytheon BBN Technologies full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very interesting and challenging work

Cons

Some schedules are too aggressive.

A good culture is a very valuable asset not appearing on any balance sheet.

n/a

Former Employee - Trainee  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Trainee in New York, NY

I worked at Raytheon BBN Technologies as an intern for less than a year

Pros

great place to start career .Flexible hours

Cons

sometimes to much pressure with recent budget

n/a

Opportunities to become competent across many technologies, the work is varied.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Raytheon BBN Technologies full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

If you can bring in work, they'll support you in carrying it out. A PhD with an agenda and good ideas can go far. If you don't like a project wait a year and something new will come. 40-hour weeks are common.

Cons

Promotions can be hard to come by, you could have a whole career and only be promoted twice. Billability is king.

Once 5 stars, rapidly going to 1 w/ purchase by raytheon

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Pros

Good people. Good projects. Hard work and once was visionary. They buy you the equipment that you need. Senior people given a lot of flexibility.

Cons

Swiftly becoming Raytheon in a horrible place to commute to unless you take the 'T', and even then a long walk. Benefits are rapidly becoming, "go see a local witchdoctor". Rapidly becoming a place where people are constantly laid off and all the smart people are leaving.

Fight to keep BBN not Raytheon. Support your people working on cutting edge technologies. Go private and save the name while it is still worth something.

Great people doing incredible work!

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Raytheon BBN Technologies full-time

Pros

This company works on amazing projects, mostly for the US government. Strong benefits and very flexible work environment. BBN is a legendary research company and it's fun to work alongside such smart people.

Cons

Things are changing since the acquisition by Raytheon. Some changes are fine and expected in any acquisition. Others seem to be slowing down the pace of innovation and the ability to respond quickly to customers and new opportunities.

A long career of technical challenges and stimulating work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Pros

BBN is a very diverse environment technically. I've worked here for 20 years in three different departments on a wide array of technologies, both commercial- and defense-related, including vibration-based machinery diagnostics, load measurement instrumentation for deep water oil platforms, speech recognition systems, and cyber security. When I got bored with one area there was always something else for me to jump into. The best part of BBN is the people. BBN is made up of hard-working, smart technologists, many with advanced degrees. The culture is great too. It's collegial, everyone gets their own office, the hours are flexible, the pay is competitive, and we are incentivized to bring in business. You can work on what you want as long as you can find a client for it. While there is a lot of "sink or swim," BBN does make an effort to train younger staff how to develop business. Upper management is also making a concerted effort to stay on the cutting edge of technology and recognizes that to do so we need to continue to hire the best and brightest.

Cons

The defense budget cuts have hurt, but it seems like we've hit bottom and are in a recovery mode. We are a consulting firm so there is pressure on everyone Scientist and above to generate business. The good part of that is that you can work on what interests you as long as you can get a client to pay for it.

Keep our identify separate from Raytheon. Do a better job marketing BBN so that we can continue to attract great people.

Raytheon BBN Technologies Photos

Worked for Raytheon BBN Technologies? Contribute to the Community!