Raytheon

Raytheon Reviews in Boston, MA

Updated Jul 25, 2014

Raytheon Chairman and CEO William H. Swanson

William H. Swanson

Pros
  • Flexible work schedule provides excellent work-life balance (in 166 reviews)

• Time-off: 9/80 schedule allows for 9 hour workdays and every other Friday off (in 126 reviews)

Cons
  • In my experience didn't value work/ life balance (in 36 reviews)

• Upper management often doesn't recognize how it is different from manufacturing (in 40 reviews)

More Highlights
198 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great company to work for!

Project Manager II (Former Employee) Waltham, MA

ProsI massively enjoyed my time at Raytheon. Another opportunity outside defense took me away, but I would consider going back as it is a great work environment with a lot of upward potential.

ConsI honestly can't think of anything negative to say. Large organizations move a bit more slowly than smaller companies, however that is to be expected.

Good, bad, and Stressful

Senior Mechanical Engineer (Current Employee) Andover, MA

ProsGreat place to work. Very resourceful and lots of opportunities to move and rotate around to try new experiences. Very flexible work hours and paid overtime for salary employees.

ConsWorking with the union slows down the progress of getting things done in a timely manner. Government contracts may mean your working a lot of hours and really busy or very slow and worrying if you will be laid off.

Advice to Senior ManagementStand up for your people. Take care of those who take care of you. Low raises over a large period of time while knowing your underpaid does not help morale at the individual contributor level. Compensation and benefits are slowly declining (Medical is more costly, Achievement awards are less, etc).

Great Research and Development Organization

Senior Systems Engineer I (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsRaytheon keeps values and goals at the forefront of its company behavior. The organization is also supportive of employees seeking to be innovative, celebrating them at senior leadership levels. Organizational channels are effective (HR, Management).

ConsWhile Raytheon values its people, your ability to work with organizations outside of your own (i.e. engineering to operations, etc.) may be hampered by the levels of bureaucracy that exist in the organization. Any company of Raytheon's size will have facets, just something to keep in mind. They can be overcome, but it takes some skill.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe a consistent advocate for your employees, and inform us of areas in which it's difficult for you to go to bat for us so we can improve them. Employees understand how critical having a supportive manager is, and it's defining for our motivation.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Raytheon has provided opportunity for career advancement through a constant rotation of learning roles within Finance.

Finance Manager II (Current Employee) Tewksbury, MA

ProsCareer growth and flexible schedule options along with international opportunities.

ConsIncentives for individuals not in senior management are low compared to industry. All non senior managers are allocated the same % of pay regardless of performance based on total salary.

Not Your Traditional Corporation

Engineer (Current Employee) Andover, MA

ProsThe best reason to work at Raytheon is its benefits and networking opportunities. It'll also give some experience on the defense industry. The systems, matrix organizations, and processes will give you solid background for implementing accountability structures in places devoid of organization.

ConsYou have to be conscious from the start that this is a large company with a variety of selfish and competitive cultures. If you are new to the company, support and mentoring are varied dependent on department. Although there are modern management structures that seem to promote the development and advancement of each employee. It is easy to get stuck. The perception of great performance is more value than meaningful contributions. Be warned of managers solely out to advance themselves. Be prepared to stand up for yourself against old-fashioned bullying, camouflaged betrayal and selfish competitive attitudes especially in northeast manufacturing areas. Traditional advancement is not effective in a company this large one must apply to jobs in lateral opportunities to advance. It is true; you are just a number.

Advice to Senior ManagementFeed and support your new employees. Listen to them regularly. Care about the culture and environment you are promoting. Yes it is easy to say results based performance is what is rewarded, but take a step back. How much of those results are sustainable, clearly advancing the business in a meaningful and effective way, and how much is it just making you look good (perception).

Great People... not so great politics !

Human Resources (Former Employee) Tewksbury, MA

ProsCompany has some great people and fantastic learning opportunities. The company has some very strong and talented individuals that can be great to work with. There is a lot to learn at this company in many areas. Their course portfolio and commitment to continuing development is fantastic. Very good work life balance. Outstanding benefits and more than fair compensation and benefits.
    The company business space and products can be quite inspiring. Developing products to help our warfighters, lends itself to a cultural sense of pride in the work that Raytheon does and it's openly discussed as such.
    I would recommend this company to a friend depending on what they are looking for from an employer.

ConsVery politically charged environment. Promotions and advancement seem to be based more on ones political gamesmanship and ability to schmooze within the right circles. An absolute popularity contest. There seems to be numerous lists of people better than the unwashed masses ;-) "Leadership Development Program," "Ninjas," "Presidents Culture Initiative," [insert flavor of the month here]. While these things aren't bad in and of themselves they do betray a cultural sense of exclusivity that is unattainable to most, including many top performers.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more attention to the actual work getting done and where it comes from. Spend less time admiring powerpoints and find out who is doing the heavy lifting. You will be rewarded with increased efficiency and better margins.

Integrated Product Team Lead

Manager III Programs (Current Employee) Andover, MA

ProsRaytheon has excellent benefits, high pay, promotes diversity and work-life balance. Raytheon has internal job postings. Every open position needs to be posted for at least 5 days.

ConsRaytheon has evolved from an engineering company to a process company. Creativity is not appreciated. You must follow the process. The performance management system is very flawed. Merit raises are based on rankings and the rankings are done by high level managers without knowledge of the employees actual performance.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet back to being an engineering company. Promote creativity and research. Come up with new solutions rather than trying to export old solutions globally.

Raytheon IT is terrible! A Revolving Door for Business Analysts and IT Project Managers.

IT Project Manager (Current Employee) Billerica, MA

ProsLike in most government related industries, the work is less intense and can be pretty slow paced. This means you don't have to work as hard at the actual "work" itself, compared to financial and healthcare related industries,

ConsAbsolutly, without a doubt, the most terrible IT Management I have seen in 15 years of consulting... I have never seen such an nonfunctional department as the BAS group. The managers are never there... no one is ever reachable and there is no consequences for not returning emails, or not completing your work. Those that are considering Functional Consulting Roles here, stay away! Its a Revolving Door for Business Analysts and IT Project Managers.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere seems to be some sort of Policy to not fire bad mangers... they just get rotated somewhere else. The problem is their attitudes... the middle managers dont work and hide in their offices, adn seem to just get away with it. That isnt going to change, regardless of the area you put them under.

work

Procurement Specialist I (Current Employee) Andover, MA

Prosgood educational assistance program and leadership

Consnot much mobility after entry level job

Advice to Senior Managementbetter initial traning for incoming entry level employees

Intern

Engineering Intern (Former Employee) Marlborough, MA

ProsLarge Company, great opportunities to move up, 9/80 is awesome.

ConsLarge company, Easy to get sucked into the culture, it sometimes feels like you are not making a difference.

Worked for Raytheon? Contribute to the Community!