Raytheon

Raytheon Reviews in Boston, MA

Updated Jul 25, 2014

Raytheon Chairman and CEO William H. Swanson

William H. Swanson

Pros
  • Flexible work schedule provides excellent work-life balance (in 166 reviews)

• Time-off: 9/80 schedule allows for 9 hour workdays and every other Friday off (in 126 reviews)

Cons
  • In my experience didn't value work/ life balance (in 36 reviews)

• Upper management often doesn't recognize how it is different from manufacturing (in 40 reviews)

More Highlights
198 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Have had a meaningful career.

Human Resources Generalist (Current Employee) Andover, MA

ProsCommitted to diversity. Has won awards for LGBT support. Opportunities for flexible work schedules to include 9/80 and some telecommuting.

ConsSome parts of the company/older generation still subject to top down management. Very large company of 64,000 means there are inevitable areas of waste and mismanagement. Current atmosphere is challenging due to dwindling defense budgets.

Good Intern Experience

Operations Specialist Intern (Former Employee) Andover, MA

Pros*The intern program is well established which made it easy to meet other interns. Adding to it, majority of the employees (including operators) were always willing to help when I had a question
    *My boss definitely allowed his interns to shine allowing to show our skills as well as learning.
    *I appreciated going through the six sigma training they had to offer
    *The internship was what you wanted to make it; If you had an interest in something other than your job it's important to communicate to your supervisor.

Cons*Took a while to get started on work had to go through security clearance and such
    *Work was sometimes hard to come by at times so I had to really keep asking or seeking out others to help them out
    *I sometimes dislike the mentally that was normal for them. There were many complaints with no action to resolve and no progression; which can be frustrating
    *Somethings take a while to get off the ground due to poor planning

Great place for training and to learn about engineering in a large organization.

Mechanical Engineer I (Former Employee) Tewksbury, MA

ProsLots of training available and encouraged

ConsVery slow and subject to government budgets

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

CNC Programming for SMD machine production as Electronic& Mechanic Techician in 26 years experience at Raytheon Co.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Boston, MA

Pros- Creating the best ideal for electronic production of Communication and Navigation .
    - Expecting and respecting the the customer's production request with high quality and
      the time of delivery.
    - With hard working and spirit of satisfied services which was conduct for Raytheon company.
    - Stayed on the right track for offer the better health cares and benefits for all employees and
       family.

Conshave no opinion about dowside.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaking the R. production by R.employees hands, not by outsources.

Great company to work for

Intern (Former Employee) Waltham, MA

ProsFlexible Scheduling, good HR relations, good benefits, comfortable work environment, you are dealing with the latest technologies.

Consmight have to go on travel quite frequently, depending on the job, which can be a downside if you have a family.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees needs

I was an intern for Raytheon and really enjoyed my 3 summers with them as a Manufacturing, and Technical Writer Intern.

Manufacturing Engineer, Technical Writer (Current Employee) Andover, MA

ProsI really enjoyed the intern program, it provided me with many opportunities to meet with high ranking members of the company. I was also given meaningful work for the three years I was there, and was never given simple tasks just to keep busy. Each year I had a major task I was responsible for completing during the summer.

ConsI had no problems with my experiences at this company

Good work environment, too much bureaucracy.

Information Security Engineer (Former Employee) Woburn, MA

ProsGreat travel opportunities if you get the right direct charge job (i.e. IA, QA, systems engineer, etc.) Pay is average, but benefits are very good. Easy to move around inside the company -also the best way to get more money (but maxes out around 5%)

ConsDifficult to move up in some departments. Most of which are not aligned correctly. For example, you're rated against your peers who don't always do the same kind of work. Very large ladder to climb with many rungs, but corporate policy makes it hard to move up it.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake it easier for managers to promote employees.

Raytheon Review

Senior Systems Engineer (Former Employee) Andover, MA

ProsLatest technology, 20 bilion dollar company, work life balance, Defense contract

ConsLay off due to defense contracts cuts

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Work at Raytheon if you like company re-orgs

Finance (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsCompetitive pay
    Provide tools needed to do job
    Overall the benefits are good though healthcare is relatively expensive

ConsToo many people with narrowly focused jobs - don't get bigger picture.
    Way too much mandatory training.
    Feeling of "Us vs them" amongst departments.
    Constantly re-orging company. My business line has had 3 in the last 4 years

Advice to Senior ManagementHaving a position of power doesn't mean you're smarter than those who work for you.

Focused much more on process than engineering

Electrical Engineer I (Current Employee) Andover, MA

ProsEvery other Friday off. Some of the people that work their are very friendly.

ConsConflicting views from different areas of management. Upper level management says that your can get in trouble for working and then not charging it but a lot of project leads try to pressure you into not charging hours after doing work for them. Also hard to receive help as no one wants to help if they are afraid they won't receive a contract to charge. When starting at the company there is no reasoning behind where they put you. Also management in your section gets upset if you do not do a Six Sigma project but its almost impossible to find funding for a project in some areas.

Advice to Senior ManagementActually place people based on their skills and interests or do not hire them. LIsten to employees when they say project leads are pressuring them to not charge to contracts rather than rewarding the leads for being under budget.

Worked for Raytheon? Contribute to the Community!