Raytheon

Updated Jul 21, 2014

3.3 1,371 reviews

Raytheon Chairman and CEO William H. Swanson

William H. Swanson

Pros
  • Flexible work schedule provides excellent work-life balance(in 165 reviews)

• Time-off: 9/80 schedule allows for 9 hour workdays and every other Friday off(in 126 reviews)

Cons
  • In my experience didn't value work/ life balance(in 35 reviews)

• Upper management often doesn't recognize how it is different from manufacturing(in 40 reviews)

1,371 Employee Reviews

Great Company of retirement

Technical Support Engineer (Former Employee) El Paso, TX

ProsThe people need to do there best and make the best place to work safely

Consextra long hours and short time to complete some jobs

Advice to Senior ManagementStart the work before the start date, and recheck with venders to ensure the products can be received on time and if not, the same product can be used to standards. keep in mind that paint is not just paint and safety is full time.

Rewarding

Prosthey work with each person to help them find their potential in the company

Conssometimes they do what the customer wants which is not necessarily the best thing

Advice to Senior ManagementWork to ensure that the senior people train the junior engineers to take their job which will make the company more flexible in tasking for contracts.

A bureaucracy that takes care of its people

Intern (Former Employee) Tucson, AZ

ProsThey have some really nice perks, and go out of their way to make interns feel welcomed.

ConsIt's a typical bureaucratic workplace, it's hard to get things done.

Advice to Senior ManagementChallenge the interns! Some of the managers do, but many of them don't.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great turn around under Swanson.

Engineer (Current Employee) El Segundo, CA

ProsLots of opportunities for those willing to embrace change.

ConsLacks cohesive underlying culture or branding. Long term efforts to support STEM education are starting to make headways, but overall, still lacking.

Advice to Senior ManagementSeems like there are lots of disjoint efforts to imitate companies that have strong culture/branding in the eyes of media/the public. However, these disjoint efforts are coming across like desparate attempts at imitation. Need some real top down leadership to correct this.

Build your skill set, then apply it elsewhere.

ProsThe people, pay, and benefits are top-notch. It is easy to get comfortable there, but after a few years the raises aren't worth it. I'd say that Raytheon has one of the most stringent supply chain operations in the country and you can build a great skill set to use at another company and get a nice bump in pay elsewhere. Raytheon recruits quality talent - a must in the industry.

ConsThe processes, tools, and audits keep adding to the cycle time of placing orders resulting in a continuously growing backlog. Resources and replacing workers are hard to get approved resulting in more work, same pay, with the expectation to place orders faster.

Advice to Senior ManagementJust say NO and stand up to the government. Some of the policies make 0 sense. Don't punish the entire supply chain operation because one person made a mistake.

Greatly focused on people, intergrity, commitment, excellence, and community!

Engineer (Current Employee) Fort Wayne, IN

ProsNetworking with Employee Resourse Groups.

ConsVery competitive. May take a while to advance.

Advice to Senior ManagementMatrix Systems needs improving.

Very Helpful

EHS Manager (Current Employee) Chula Vista, CA

ProsI think that they are very supportive

ConsI did not have any or no cons

Advice to Senior Managementthey need to train a bit better in the beginning

Systems Engineer

Systems Engineer (Current Employee) McKinney, TX

ProsGreat company with great products and challenging technical work. Enjoyed working there as an electrical engineer.

ConsWould have liked to seen more of a technical ladder. Management tended to be very program centric. Sometimes hard to move between programs.

Advice to Senior ManagementWell run organizations.

Raytheon is the best place to work.

Pro-e Designer (Former Employee) El Segundo, CA

ProsThe work you do at Ratheon is part of a team effort and make you successful in your mission.

ConsContract work does not last long.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide a follow on work for contract employees.

Integrated Product Team Lead

Manager III Programs (Current Employee) Andover, MA

ProsRaytheon has excellent benefits, high pay, promotes diversity and work-life balance. Raytheon has internal job postings. Every open position needs to be posted for at least 5 days.

ConsRaytheon has evolved from an engineering company to a process company. Creativity is not appreciated. You must follow the process. The performance management system is very flawed. Merit raises are based on rankings and the rankings are done by high level managers without knowledge of the employees actual performance.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet back to being an engineering company. Promote creativity and research. Come up with new solutions rather than trying to export old solutions globally.

Worked for Raytheon? Contribute to the Community!