Raytheon Reviews in Dallas-Fort Worth, TX

3.3
1,488 Reviews

Raytheon Chairman and CEO William H. Swanson
William H. Swanson

Pros
  • Work-life balance is excellent for such a large accounting organization (in 175 reviews)

• Time-off: 9/80 schedule allows for 9 hour workdays and every other Friday off (in 130 reviews)

Cons
  • In my experience didn't value work/ life balance (in 37 reviews)

• Upper management often doesn't recognize how it is different from manufacturing (in 44 reviews)

More Highlights

139 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good place to work, great people, good work/life balance

Current Employee - Senior Principal Electrical Engineer in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Principal Electrical Engineer in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Raytheon full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Work/Life balance (PTO, 9/80 workweek, flex time)
    Compensation
    People (in Texas) are awesome to work with

Cons

Corporate shoving "culture" down our throats
    Offices are old
    They like you to stay in one job for your entire career.

Identify "go-getters" and give them a chance to move/grow.
    Inspire us to do more and better (better offices, rewards/perks/recognition)

It is what you make of it

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer I in Garland, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer I in Garland, TX

I have been working at Raytheon full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

A sense of purpose. Does the thought of maintaining a sales forecast app get you going in the morning? Do you love the smell of buring shopping cart code? No? Me neither. The sense of purpose that comes with the job is one of the reasons I was attracted to defense work. There is a sense of camaraderie that I did not get from other organizations.

Cons

The tech is somewhat stale, but that has more to do with the customer than the company. Some of the technical feats pulled off in the past were nothing more than mind boggling, so the Company certainly has cutting-edge in its DNA. That being said, they do tend to treat every engineer as a widget to be shuffled around at will.

Learn to make the most of your talent and stop trying to pound square pegs into round holes

Rough for contractors.

Current Employee - Test Technician in Richardson, TX
    Current Employee - Test Technician in Richardson, TX

I have been working at Raytheon as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great work environment, and good people.

Cons

Temps never get hired. I have been in charge of my test group for several years, with recommendations from the senior engineer, but I can't get hired.

Cull the lifers that don't work, and give some temps a chance.

Interesting problem space, terrible execution

Former Employee - Chief Engineer in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Chief Engineer in Dallas, TX

I worked at Raytheon full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

All the comforts of a big defense contractor. Loyalty, interesting work, opportunities to those that seek it

Cons

All the frustrations of a big defense contractor. Slow adopters, too much middle management, loyalty to their demise (they rarely fire - they just move you to the basement).

Don't be afraid to speak up and identify what is wrong. Fire the wikipedia engineers and be willing to open source unclassified work.

I have really enjoyed working a Raytheon in Garland Texas.

Former Employee - Senior Sys Integration Technologist II in Garland, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Sys Integration Technologist II in Garland, TX

I worked at Raytheon full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

In the past I was able to do multiple jobs: hardware development, system testing, software development, and Systems engineering.

Cons

The projects are paid for using government funding which sometimes comes and goes.

Management needs improving.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Garland, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Garland, TX

I have been working at Raytheon full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The pay is good and the health coverage is average. The time off is the best thing. Start out with 2 weeks off plus the week of Christmas and New Years of and after every 5 one more week is added.

Cons

To much politics and political games amongst management.

Very good company for which to work.

Former Employee - Senior Technical Support Specialist in McKinney, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Technical Support Specialist in McKinney, TX

I worked at Raytheon full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great work assignments with flexible hours if needed. The benefits package is well above average as is the salary. Loved my job while there and would go back if conditions allow.

Cons

Working for a defense contractor can be very up and down. Projects can be cancelled leaving one to searching for more internal work. There are too many managers at this company and they are overly protected during the down times leaving the actual workers high and dry.

Remember that the workers are the backbone of this company. I went far and above my work assignments to complete everyone of them on time without so much as a pat on the back. A little of this goes a long ways!

Average experience so far

Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Garland, TX
    Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Garland, TX

I have been working at Raytheon full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Short commute from home and that's about it

Cons

Huge company, weird policies that makes simple things complicated and needs to go through all huddles unnecessarily. Been transferred to multiple projects once hired, had to move around cubes a lot, spent more time setting up new environment than being real productive. Has lot of lame mandatory training to take on your own time - meaning you don't get paid for it. Now regret accepting this offer since I have all benefits through my spouse's employer and hence don't see the point of staying as an employee here with a huge pay cut. Looking around and hope I can get the hell out of here. Benefits not great either..

Not going to make a difference, so whats the point?

Out Source Department

Former Employee - Supply Chain Specialist II in McKinney, TX
    Former Employee - Supply Chain Specialist II in McKinney, TX

I worked at Raytheon (less than an year)

Pros

Management didn't look over your shoulder every minute of the day. I did my job and got home on time everyday.

Cons

I was hired in as a warehouse contractor. I was hoping to get my foot in the door since I was a recent college grad at the time. With out me knowing before I was hired Raytheon was in search the whole time to out source the warehouse part of the operation. I started grave yard shift with in two weeks they moved us to 2nd shift and did away with 3rd shift. I stayed there almost a year before they handed over the warehouse work to a 3rd party warehouse company that had a leaky roof and hired temp workers for minimum wadge. Sad a lot of american companies have come to this.

Sr. Software Engineer

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer I in Garland, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer I in Garland, TX

I worked at Raytheon full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good people, really care about the customer not the typical blood sucking defense contractor, decent process, great technology,awesome work-life balance policies,

Cons

bonus are subpar compared with similar companies, compensation is not great, promotions are slow in the intermediate grades E3+

Promotion from E3 to E4 will take years because they are mostly based on seniority rather than skills
    The E4 grade is the most an average engineer can aspire for.
    E5+ are really sharp engineers but getting past the E4 slow process will discourage most talented engineers.

Promote best and brightness within a reasonable time frame before they leave. Reduce overhead so you can afford competitive engineering salaries...