Raytheon Reviews in Dallas-Fort Worth, TX

3.3
1,447 Reviews

Raytheon Chairman and CEO William H. Swanson
William H. Swanson

Pros
  • Flexible work schedule provides excellent work-life balance (in 166 reviews)

• Time-off: 9/80 schedule allows for 9 hour workdays and every other Friday off (in 126 reviews)

Cons
  • In my experience didn't value work/ life balance (in 36 reviews)

• Upper management often doesn't recognize how it is different from manufacturing (in 40 reviews)

More Highlights

135 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

I have really enjoyed working a Raytheon in Garland Texas.

Former Employee - Senior Sys Integration Technologist II  in  Garland, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Sys Integration Technologist II in Garland, TX

I worked at Raytheon full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

In the past I was able to do multiple jobs: hardware development, system testing, software development, and Systems engineering.

Cons

The projects are paid for using government funding which sometimes comes and goes.

Management needs improving.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Garland, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Garland, TX

I have been working at Raytheon full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The pay is good and the health coverage is average. The time off is the best thing. Start out with 2 weeks off plus the week of Christmas and New Years of and after every 5 one more week is added.

Cons

To much politics and political games amongst management.

Very good company for which to work.

Former Employee - Senior Technical Support Specialist  in  McKinney, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Technical Support Specialist in McKinney, TX

I worked at Raytheon full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great work assignments with flexible hours if needed. The benefits package is well above average as is the salary. Loved my job while there and would go back if conditions allow.

Cons

Working for a defense contractor can be very up and down. Projects can be cancelled leaving one to searching for more internal work. There are too many managers at this company and they are overly protected during the down times leaving the actual workers high and dry.

Remember that the workers are the backbone of this company. I went far and above my work assignments to complete everyone of them on time without so much as a pat on the back. A little of this goes a long ways!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Average experience so far

Current Employee - Software Engineer II  in  Garland, TX
    Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Garland, TX

I have been working at Raytheon full-time for less than a year

Pros

Short commute from home and that's about it

Cons

Huge company, weird policies that makes simple things complicated and needs to go through all huddles unnecessarily. Been transferred to multiple projects once hired, had to move around cubes a lot, spent more time setting up new environment than being real productive. Has lot of lame mandatory training to take on your own time - meaning you don't get paid for it. Now regret accepting this offer since I have all benefits through my spouse's employer and hence don't see the point of staying as an employee here with a huge pay cut. Looking around and hope I can get the hell out of here. Benefits not great either..

Not going to make a difference, so whats the point?

Out Source Department

Former Employee - Supply Chain Specialist II  in  McKinney, TX
    Former Employee - Supply Chain Specialist II in McKinney, TX

I worked at Raytheon for less than a year

Pros

Management didn't look over your shoulder every minute of the day. I did my job and got home on time everyday.

Cons

I was hired in as a warehouse contractor. I was hoping to get my foot in the door since I was a recent college grad at the time. With out me knowing before I was hired Raytheon was in search the whole time to out source the warehouse part of the operation. I started grave yard shift with in two weeks they moved us to 2nd shift and did away with 3rd shift. I stayed there almost a year before they handed over the warehouse work to a 3rd party warehouse company that had a leaky roof and hired temp workers for minimum wadge. Sad a lot of american companies have come to this.

Sr. Software Engineer

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer I  in  Garland, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer I in Garland, TX

I worked at Raytheon full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good people, really care about the customer not the typical blood sucking defense contractor, decent process, great technology,awesome work-life balance policies,

Cons

bonus are subpar compared with similar companies, compensation is not great, promotions are slow in the intermediate grades E3+

Promotion from E3 to E4 will take years because they are mostly based on seniority rather than skills
    The E4 grade is the most an average engineer can aspire for.
    E5+ are really sharp engineers but getting past the E4 slow process will discourage most talented engineers.

Promote best and brightness within a reasonable time frame before they leave. Reduce overhead so you can afford competitive engineering salaries...

Systems Engineer

Current Employee - Systems Engineer  in  McKinney, TX
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in McKinney, TX

I have been working at Raytheon full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great company with great products and challenging technical work. Enjoyed working there as an electrical engineer.

Cons

Would have liked to seen more of a technical ladder. Management tended to be very program centric. Sometimes hard to move between programs.

Well run organizations.

What you would expect from a Defense company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  McKinney, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in McKinney, TX

I worked at Raytheon full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

A focus on Diversity and Inclusion as well as work-life balance

Cons

Industry is difficult right now; lots of business consolidation and change. Not terribly progressive in their management or leadership practices, but getting better.

Live and demonstrate the value that performance = behaviors + results.

Easy place to get stuck

Current Employee - Software Engineer II  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Raytheon full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good benefits and depending on your skills there is the possibility for many opportunities

Cons

Because it is a defense contractor many of the positions are dependent on contracts. Also they are now trying to outsource many jobs to reduce costs. I have also noticed that they are not very many opportunities for those new into their career,most of their positions require 10+ years experience. So if you do get into the company before then you are kind of stuck.

Good company, few advancement opportunities

Current Employee - Senior Manufacturing Engineer II  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Manufacturing Engineer II in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Raytheon full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Surrounded by very professional and talented people, very few managers micromanage, technical challenges daily. Pay and benefits are pretty much competitive (if on the lower side of industry averages) so this keeps a lot of employees from leaving the company.

Cons

Overall a good company to work for, but if you want to advance you will need to search and apply for new jobs in the company since very few managers help you out in this regard. In the last year the company has had multiple layoffs causing a very stressful workplace. It was especially discouraging that some good employees were chosen to be laid off over others that appear to be part of the "good ol' boy network".

Management is frequently weak and there are often too many middle managers. People are not a high priority when it comes to advancement or layoff decisions so job security is always a concern.

Worked for Raytheon? Contribute to the Community!