Raytheon

Raytheon Chairman and CEO William H. Swanson

William H. Swanson

126 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Cutting Edge Jobs

Systems Engineer II (Current Employee)

I have been working at Raytheon full-time for more than 3 years

ProsLow stress and flexible working schedules

Conspoor management in the higher ups.

Advice to Senior ManagementHelp the worker bees do their jobs and not worry about counting numbers, ie stats,

Great People but Direction is the Question

Senior Software Engineer II (Former Employee)

I worked at Raytheon full-time for more than 10 years

ProsRaytheon has some of the best people I ever worked with. The intelligence and creativity is unmatched. The perks and salaries paid are very competitive. The work culture is supportive. You do have to find your career path there and it is recommended that you find a mentor that can give you advice and push you to get your goals.

ConsLimited resources due to outsourcing slowed reaching yearly goals. It was always a battle with limited budgets to get things done. Working with bright and enthusiastic vendor teams was not enough sometimes. Management seems to think technology can be developed by anyone off the street and get the same quality. Creativity to modify COTS tools to solve requirements where they were not originally designed to do that type of work gets old and frustrating really fast. The errors and problems from this approach can sometimes waste more money than it saves. Management needs to listen to good technical people for solutions instead of worrying about process so much. As for growing your career, getting training and education to grow your skill set has become limited and unavailable. Once you leave Raytheon, this lack of current world training really sets you back.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper Raytheon Management does promote an inclusive work culture and a vision where they bring products to support our armed forces and civilian commercial customers. However, in the last 5-10 years, that management has turned to outsourcing and bottom line thinking which for a vital segment of our nation's security. Good people was let go for inexperienced vendors who tried in vain to fill the gap. We talk about keeping out high technology resources here at home. It is time that management support the good people who work hard and sacrifice for our nation instead of worrying so much about the shareholder. Quality of the products suffers when expertise is not kept on board. Something has to be said about subject matter experts being retained in house which gives you a competitive advantage in our competitive aerospace business.

One of the best company I ever worked for

Senior Laser Electro- Optics Technician (Current Employee)

I have been working at Raytheon full-time for more than 10 years

ProsProvides decent and competitive salary. Exposed to the advance technology that you cannot get from small-medium size company. You'll feel proud that you work with that big organization.

ConsSince the defense budget cut, People are losing their jobs.

Bad management

Senior Principal Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsGood Pay, Smart Technical Staff, facilities

ConsWho you know matters. Management is dishonest. Company Motto "Respect" is not practiced. Stock holders before employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementTell the truth

One company for 28 years

Finance Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Raytheon full-time for more than 10 years

ProsCareer opportunities across the country and throughout the company, I moved and changed jobs every 5 years, always taking on more responsibilities and growth toward next management level.

ConsJob Consolidations and changes occur too often. Layoffs, loss of people with experience and history leaves a gap for new employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementPeople, intellectual property is still the most valuable resource.

Challenging times ahead - good company for younger employees

Financial Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Raytheon full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood benefits although they are shrinking just like all the other larger defense cos. Career advancement: If you are young and ambitious, there are good programs to develop you and you will be assigned a mentor.

ConsExperience not valued as much as youth, part of the cost cutting strategy is to get rid of older employees in some states and moving functions out to lower cost, less regulated states. Everything being equal and with both employees starting in the company at the same time, the younger employee is set up for success whereas the older employee is not given the same opportunity for training, support and advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementA good mix of young and experienced people is a good thing! Retain some legacy people to maintain stability. Make both groups feel appreciated.

Great Company with a few downsides

Senior Logistics Specialist (Current Employee)

I have been working at Raytheon full-time for more than 5 years

ProsWell known company with great standing in the Defense Industry

ConsLarge company so raises are minimal even with promotion within

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize employees more who put in the extra effort

It was an excellent adventure (while it lasted).

Senior Engineering Support Tech (Former Employee)

I worked at Raytheon full-time for more than 10 years

ProsMy immediate management was generous with letting me run the dept as long as I got things done and my efforts were value added.

ConsI was hoping to retire from Raytheon but upper management did not look at the ramifications of laying me off. Many program managers I supported were confused why I was let go. If a manager is changed there is no means to communicate to a new manager how well employees are doing and all the rapport built up over the years is lost and you are just a number.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake better care to keep your best employees. They deserve better.

Raytheon - Great company

Program Manager (Current Employee)

ProsFlexible, Lots of Growth, good pay

ConsPlenty of Grade Inflation and Bureaucracy

Advice to Senior ManagementManage Grade Inflation

Worked for Raytheon SAS; experience was great, however Management needed changing.

Finance Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Raytheon full-time for more than 3 years

ProsA lot of good, hard working, folks who make it a good place to work. The environment takes away from that.

ConsIn my experience didn't value work/ life balance. Also, didn't reward the top employees, which caused many to leave for other opportunities.

Advice to Senior ManagementUnderstand who the workers are and who the kiss-ups are.

Worked for Raytheon? Contribute to the Community!

Raytheon Videos

Raytheon – Why Work for Us?

Raytheon: Aspiring to be the most admired defense and aerospace systems company through our world-class people and technology Raytheon is a technology and innovation leader specializing in defense, homeland security… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Raytheon reviews and ratings in El Segundo, CA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Raytheon CEO William H. Swanson. All 126 reviews posted anonymously by Raytheon employees.