Raytheon

Raytheon Reviews in El Segundo, CA

Updated Jul 14, 2014

Raytheon Chairman and CEO William H. Swanson

William H. Swanson

Pros
  • Flexible work schedule provides excellent work-life balance (in 166 reviews)

• Time-off: 9/80 schedule allows for 9 hour workdays and every other Friday off (in 126 reviews)

Cons
  • In my experience didn't value work/ life balance (in 36 reviews)

• Upper management often doesn't recognize how it is different from manufacturing (in 40 reviews)

More Highlights
134 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great turn around under Swanson.

Engineer (Current Employee) El Segundo, CA

ProsLots of opportunities for those willing to embrace change.

ConsLacks cohesive underlying culture or branding. Long term efforts to support STEM education are starting to make headways, but overall, still lacking.

Advice to Senior ManagementSeems like there are lots of disjoint efforts to imitate companies that have strong culture/branding in the eyes of media/the public. However, these disjoint efforts are coming across like desparate attempts at imitation. Need some real top down leadership to correct this.

A bureaucracy to end all bureaucracies - not the place if you're innovative or entrepreneurial

Director (Former Employee) El Segundo, CA

ProsDecent pay, but not the best
    Decent benefits
    Ability to have a flexible work schedule, that is, if your boss is accommodating
    Was MUCH better 5 years ago than today.

ConsFew opportunities for experienced hires to advance
    Lousy management in some divisions
    Poor work-life balance
    Poor severance & COBRA handling, it WILL cost you time and money when you leave
    Once you work for this defense contractor, you will find it hard to work elsewhere as Raytheon saps your mind, body, and initiative.
    Very, very frustrating to try and accomplish anything.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of your people, even the ones you fire. You may not see it, but there is a huge swell of discontent in the ranks, and there is no desire in certain operating divisions to minimize the pain of laid-off workers. From the delays in processing severance documents (first severance check promised 2 weeks after firing, the division took 3+ weeks to process the paperwork) to the horrid handling of COBRA administration (Ceridian is horrid - it has not credited payment for nearly 2 weeks, it claims to take 30-60 days to "reinstate coverage", and it has delayed processing of credit card payments - today's surprise is a message that you have terminated services with Ceridian, but there is no indication how to reinstate. I expect it to take 60-75 days for the REQUIRED continuous COBRA benefits to be provided. Let's be clear: YOU are responsible for COBRA, and all costs incurred) you are giving a final kick in the pants to folks you terminate.

Bad place to work for supply chain professionals

Supply Chain (Current Employee) El Segundo, CA

ProsDecent pay compared to industry average. Allows 9/80 schedule for some employees. A large network of professionals, I'm really just typing words to meet the minimum requirement now

ConsAlmost everyone in the Supply Chain Management (SCM) organization is over-worked and stressed out. This is due not only to a high workload but mainly because of terrible processes, procedures and tools for SCM employees to do their jobs. There is a major disconnect between what SCM upper management thinks its employees can do (and have access to) vs. what they can really do. The other functions (engineering, finance, operations) have absolutely no respect for the SCM role or its employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf Raytheon wants to become a successful prime contractor like Boeing, Lockheed, and Northrup, it needs to do a better job of managing its supply chain. Invest in better SCM tools, procedures and employee training/resources and create an atmosphere of respect for SCM employees.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Raytheon is the best place to work.

Pro-e Designer (Former Employee) El Segundo, CA

ProsThe work you do at Ratheon is part of a team effort and make you successful in your mission.

ConsContract work does not last long.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide a follow on work for contract employees.

Pretty good company to work for

Senior Eng II (Current Employee) El Segundo, CA

ProsThere are very talented and nice people working there. However, there are pretty bad people there, too. Salary and benefit are pretty good, pension plan (for employees that have been there for a while) is very good.

ConsThey promote young good talkers too fast. Some of these young engineers don't have good solid skills, just know the buzz words and know how to take credit for other people's work. Some of the managers are no-technical, so they don't know how to judge.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to have good technical people to lead and to manage. That way they don't just think good talkers are the future of the company.

A great engineering company

Financial Manager II (Current Employee) El Segundo, CA

ProsGreat benefits, great people, good stable environment

ConsLarge company, lots of processes

Advice to Senior ManagementNew CEO in place, looking forward to see new management shape the company

Amazing company, terrible local IT leadership

IT Technical Contributor (Current Employee) El Segundo, CA

ProsCompensation is good, exposure to a wide variety of technology and experiences, breadth of opportunities, company mission, flexible work schedule.

ConsLocal IT leadership is hell bent on cost reduction and ignores everything else, technical competency is viewed as a commodity, proliferation of incapable management, ingrained culture of "no bad news" and opaqueness, promotion of ignorance

Advice to Senior ManagementRetire. Please.

Excellent engineering environment with diverse talents and extensive expertise and knowledge

Senior Electrical Engineer (Current Employee) El Segundo, CA

ProsStable work environment with learning opportunities and steady career growth. Good compensation and benefits. Flexible work schedule provides excellent work-life balance.

ConsWork can be slow at times. Too dependant on government defense contracts. Average pay raise per year is only a small percentage.

Cutting Edge Jobs

Systems Engineer II (Current Employee) El Segundo, CA

ProsLow stress and flexible working schedules

Conspoor management in the higher ups.

Advice to Senior ManagementHelp the worker bees do their jobs and not worry about counting numbers, ie stats,

Great People but Direction is the Question

Senior Software Engineer II (Former Employee) El Segundo, CA

ProsRaytheon has some of the best people I ever worked with. The intelligence and creativity is unmatched. The perks and salaries paid are very competitive. The work culture is supportive. You do have to find your career path there and it is recommended that you find a mentor that can give you advice and push you to get your goals.

ConsLimited resources due to outsourcing slowed reaching yearly goals. It was always a battle with limited budgets to get things done. Working with bright and enthusiastic vendor teams was not enough sometimes. Management seems to think technology can be developed by anyone off the street and get the same quality. Creativity to modify COTS tools to solve requirements where they were not originally designed to do that type of work gets old and frustrating really fast. The errors and problems from this approach can sometimes waste more money than it saves. Management needs to listen to good technical people for solutions instead of worrying about process so much. As for growing your career, getting training and education to grow your skill set has become limited and unavailable. Once you leave Raytheon, this lack of current world training really sets you back.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper Raytheon Management does promote an inclusive work culture and a vision where they bring products to support our armed forces and civilian commercial customers. However, in the last 5-10 years, that management has turned to outsourcing and bottom line thinking which for a vital segment of our nation's security. Good people was let go for inexperienced vendors who tried in vain to fill the gap. We talk about keeping out high technology resources here at home. It is time that management support the good people who work hard and sacrifice for our nation instead of worrying so much about the shareholder. Quality of the products suffers when expertise is not kept on board. Something has to be said about subject matter experts being retained in house which gives you a competitive advantage in our competitive aerospace business.

Worked for Raytheon? Contribute to the Community!