Raytheon Reviews

Reset
3.5
Thomas A. Kennedy
1 Rating

Pros
  • Good work-life balance most of the time (in 180 reviews)

• Allows 9/80 schedule for some employees (in 133 reviews)

Cons
  • In my experience didn't value work/ life balance (in 38 reviews)

• I was hoping to retire from Raytheon but upper management did not look at the ramifications of laying me off (in 44 reviews)

1. Good enough.

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer II in Portsmouth, RI

I have been working at Raytheon full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Work 40 hours, good vacation time, and every other Friday off.

Cons

Some of the work is tedious and repetitive. Lots of process/documentation.

2. Raytheon IDS

Current Employee - IPT Lesd in Portsmouth, RI
    Current Employee - IPT Lesd in Portsmouth, RI

I have been working at Raytheon full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

You get to work on systems and products that no one in the world designs or builds. Top technical talent abounds. Great working conditions, flexible work schedule with the 9/80. Personal career growth if you work hard AND know the right people.

Cons

A great deal of cronyism in handing out promotions. Its not the most capable that get promoted, its the most connected. Company seems to hire ex admirals and captains that do not have a business background. They are hired for their connections in Washington, DC.

Advice to Management

The ability to attract and retain talented people is cornerstone of a good company. The company needs to interview ALL qualified candidates for internal open positions. Back up your rhetoric on career growth with ethical actions.

3. Rewarding

Current Employee - Engineer in Portsmouth, RI
    Current Employee - Engineer in Portsmouth, RI

I have been working at Raytheon full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great team atmosphere. Great benefits and perks.. Salary is comparable to other companies. Most people there are goal oriented.

Cons

A lot of work but very rewarding. Not a lot of negative things to say about working here. Job stability is good but not great.

Senior Software Engineer I

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portsmouth, RI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portsmouth, RI

I have been working at Raytheon full-time

Pros

The pay is good and the flexible work hours are helpful to most people. There is a core group of good people still left here but if the job market ever opens up again they likely will leave.

Cons

The performance review process is ridiculous. This identical review process failed in numerous other major companies and they dropped it. The management is staffed with people who were barely adequate engineers and they have carried this trait into their management positions.

Advice to Management

Stop spending all of your time trying fit into the Raytheon management template and try learning some real management skills.

Marking time until I could find a better job

Former Employee - Senior Principal Software Engineer in Portsmouth, RI
    Former Employee - Senior Principal Software Engineer in Portsmouth, RI

I worked at Raytheon

Pros

Benefits have been good (but are getting worse) There are good opportunities to work with others and outside your comfort zone There are many opportunities for travel Program capture is the most visible/rewarded job

Cons

Very little credit for technical expertise, or opportunity for professional development unless it is a critical technology area for the business (e.g., radar) Nobody is going to look out for your career. Your managers are competing with you for better assignments Creativity in general is going to frustrate you, not reward you. Do not work outside the box. Covering your bosses ass is the way to get rewarded

Advice to Management

Total lack of vision - everything is about bending over to pick up the nickel someone dropped. Pick a direction, come up with some killer products and allow your technical people to have objective standards for advancement. Stop the union job shop attitude (we'll do anything for anyone who will pay us cost plus).

7. ok

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer I in Portsmouth, RI
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer I in Portsmouth, RI

I have been working at Raytheon

Pros

Management salary. Otherwise you are becoming a paper pusher. If you have an advanced degree, look elsewhere as your skills will be under utilised.

Cons

you need to be a very good politician to succeed. Hard work isnt that appreciated. Best to become friend with your manager.

8. Great Career Company in Aerospace Defense Industry

I have been working at Raytheon

Pros

Benefits Salary and Annual Increases Internal Training Diverse Location Opportunities Interesting Work Fairly Good Management (some better then others)

Cons

Too Much Process Work/Life Balance not always possible with tight budgets and deadline Not always picking up leading edge technology Programmers tend to do less programming with promotion (industry-wide)

Advice to Management

Corporate Management seem very distance and impersonal to regular employees

They don't care about staff! Management unskilled.

Current Employee - Art Director in Portsmouth, RI
    Current Employee - Art Director in Portsmouth, RI

I have been working at Raytheon

Pros

Pay was okay. Some very nice people work there. Nice lunch area. Location was nice.

Cons

If you are not an Engineer, don't work there. Double standards, poor management, revolving door. They could care less about you. Work Life Balance is a Joke.

Advice to Management

Show respect and appreciation for work effort. One day notice for being laid off is harsh. CARE!

10. Raytheon cares about our customers and delivers solutions second to none.

Current Employee - Engineering Program Manager in Portsmouth, RI
    Current Employee - Engineering Program Manager in Portsmouth, RI

I have been working at Raytheon

Pros

The work is very interesting and I work with some of the most intelligent people on the planet. Raytheon genuinely cares about its customers and delivers technical solutions second to none.

Cons

We tend to not win our share of work when in direct competiton with NG or LM. We are a boy scout in the corporate community. We cannot compromise that but we need to become a boy scout with a killer instinct. We also need to be more predetory in our pursuit of our competitons domains.

Advice to Management

Expand the base of our core business. Get more aggressive in the Civil Security business both domestically and abroad. Seek out opprtunities to take away work from our competitiors. The rice bowl is shrinking and therefore we must fight to maintain and grow in a declining market.

Process Engineers Look No Further

Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer IV in Portsmouth, RI
    Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer IV in Portsmouth, RI

I worked at Raytheon

Pros

An abundance of state of the art engineering tools and information available for use. Access to in depth technical libraries and guidelines. An abundance of training is available and it is widely encouraged for individuals to partake in the many opportunities available each year.

Cons

There is a large abundance of bureaucracy at Raytheon. It is difficult to follow a strictly technical career path since project engineering skills (slide show skills) are more highly regarded than technical skills, in terms of career advancement. Work is departmentalized and partitioned by function encouraging "specialists".

Advice to Management

No comment.

Showing 11 of 1,818 reviews