Raytheon

Updated Jul 22, 2014

3.3 1,372 reviews

Raytheon Chairman and CEO William H. Swanson

William H. Swanson

Pros
  • Flexible work schedule provides excellent work-life balance(in 165 reviews)

• Time-off: 9/80 schedule allows for 9 hour workdays and every other Friday off(in 126 reviews)

Cons
  • In my experience didn't value work/ life balance(in 35 reviews)

• Upper management often doesn't recognize how it is different from manufacturing(in 40 reviews)

1,372 Employee Reviews

So much better than my time at ngc

Software Engineer I (Current Employee) Fullerton, CA

ProsDecent benefits.
    Friendly coworkers.
    Relevant programming languages, java, c sharp
    Upper management is friendly and approachable
    Profit sharing, woot!

ConsR6sigma is excessive
    Business casual = bleh
    Super structured raises
    Female engineer friendly, I have not had much issue or hassle

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want to attract younger engineers encourage a more casual environment. Nobody enjoys wearing button ups and slacks.

Larger company and therefore easy to get lost if not in a top level position.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat benefits for direct employees, even if only working twenty hours a week. Compensation and paid time-off were excellent for Tucson.

ConsLarger company and therefore easy to get lost if not in a top level position.

I learned a lot as an intern, but wait there's more...

Electrical Engineer Intern (Former Employee) El Paso, TX

Pros-Great learning experience on military, gets your testosterone levels up.
    -fexible schedule
    -opportunities across the world
    -Not strict on time

Cons-Sloooooooow to finish things
    -too much management
    -Old people
    - Mostly men

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more bold and more of a risk taker.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Research and Development Organization

Senior Systems Engineer I (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsRaytheon keeps values and goals at the forefront of its company behavior. The organization is also supportive of employees seeking to be innovative, celebrating them at senior leadership levels. Organizational channels are effective (HR, Management).

ConsWhile Raytheon values its people, your ability to work with organizations outside of your own (i.e. engineering to operations, etc.) may be hampered by the levels of bureaucracy that exist in the organization. Any company of Raytheon's size will have facets, just something to keep in mind. They can be overcome, but it takes some skill.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe a consistent advocate for your employees, and inform us of areas in which it's difficult for you to go to bat for us so we can improve them. Employees understand how critical having a supportive manager is, and it's defining for our motivation.

Great company to work for!

Field Service Engineer (Current Employee) Marysville, CA

ProsMultinational company with many locations to work. Great pay and benefits.

ConsEngineers do not make the best managers.

Advice to Senior ManagementEnsure off-site leadership/management have good people skills, not engineers with no social skills.

Great

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat company and benefits. Well diverse set of groups to join as a new employee to get integrated into the new work environment.

ConsHuge company, you can easily get lost in the shuffle. Make sure you find a mentor.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote your current human capital and continue to bring in new people to fill in the lower positions.

A good company with good benefits

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) El Paso, TX

ProsThe benefits are good, and there are learning opportunities. There is a large verity of jobs and task that keep you busy all day.

ConsScreening of new managers needs to be more thorough, and contract rules need to be followed, changing requirements in the middle of a project is difficult for all involved.

Advice to Senior ManagementScreening of new managers needs to be more thorough, and contract rules need to be followed, changing requirements in the middle of a project is difficult for all involved.

Raytheon Company

Senior Program Manager (Current Employee) Fort Wayne, IN

ProsRaytheon is a forward looking company that is good to work for.

ConsThe defense industry is declining and Raytheon is looking internationally for additional business.

A great company to work for.

Material Program Manager (Former Employee)

ProsVery good training and keeping employees informed with company growth.

ConsCompany spand a lot of time wiht training.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the good work up.

Raytheon has provided opportunity for career advancement through a constant rotation of learning roles within Finance.

Finance Manager II (Current Employee) Tewksbury, MA

ProsCareer growth and flexible schedule options along with international opportunities.

ConsIncentives for individuals not in senior management are low compared to industry. All non senior managers are allocated the same % of pay regardless of performance based on total salary.

Worked for Raytheon? Contribute to the Community!