Raytheon

Updated Jul 25, 2014

3.3 1,376 reviews

Raytheon Chairman and CEO William H. Swanson

William H. Swanson

Pros
  • Flexible work schedule provides excellent work-life balance(in 166 reviews)

• Time-off: 9/80 schedule allows for 9 hour workdays and every other Friday off(in 126 reviews)

Cons
  • In my experience didn't value work/ life balance(in 36 reviews)

• Upper management often doesn't recognize how it is different from manufacturing(in 40 reviews)

1,376 Employee Reviews

So much better than my time at ngc

Software Engineer I (Current Employee) Fullerton, CA

ProsDecent benefits.
    Friendly coworkers.
    Relevant programming languages, java, c sharp
    Upper management is friendly and approachable
    Profit sharing, woot!

ConsR6sigma is excessive
    Business casual = bleh
    Super structured raises
    Female engineer friendly, I have not had much issue or hassle

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want to attract younger engineers encourage a more casual environment. Nobody enjoys wearing button ups and slacks.

Great company to work for!

Project Manager II (Former Employee) Waltham, MA

ProsI massively enjoyed my time at Raytheon. Another opportunity outside defense took me away, but I would consider going back as it is a great work environment with a lot of upward potential.

ConsI honestly can't think of anything negative to say. Large organizations move a bit more slowly than smaller companies, however that is to be expected.

Good company with many very hard working people

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFlextime, good salary and benefits, very nice people to work with. Very interesting work

ConsManagement is continually badgered by the customer to do more with less. Also management gets saddled with much government mandated accounting gimmicks like Six Sigma, which is not appropriate for much of the mission involving research and development.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement does the best they can in spite of the pressures by the customer. No advice.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good, bad, and Stressful

Senior Mechanical Engineer (Current Employee) Andover, MA

ProsGreat place to work. Very resourceful and lots of opportunities to move and rotate around to try new experiences. Very flexible work hours and paid overtime for salary employees.

ConsWorking with the union slows down the progress of getting things done in a timely manner. Government contracts may mean your working a lot of hours and really busy or very slow and worrying if you will be laid off.

Advice to Senior ManagementStand up for your people. Take care of those who take care of you. Low raises over a large period of time while knowing your underpaid does not help morale at the individual contributor level. Compensation and benefits are slowly declining (Medical is more costly, Achievement awards are less, etc).

I learned a lot as an intern, but wait there's more...

Electrical Engineer Intern (Former Employee) El Paso, TX

Pros-Great learning experience on military, gets your testosterone levels up.
    -fexible schedule
    -opportunities across the world
    -Not strict on time

Cons-Sloooooooow to finish things
    -too much management
    -Old people
    - Mostly men

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more bold and more of a risk taker.

Larger company and therefore easy to get lost if not in a top level position.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat benefits for direct employees, even if only working twenty hours a week. Compensation and paid time-off were excellent for Tucson.

ConsLarger company and therefore easy to get lost if not in a top level position.

Great Research and Development Organization

Senior Systems Engineer I (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsRaytheon keeps values and goals at the forefront of its company behavior. The organization is also supportive of employees seeking to be innovative, celebrating them at senior leadership levels. Organizational channels are effective (HR, Management).

ConsWhile Raytheon values its people, your ability to work with organizations outside of your own (i.e. engineering to operations, etc.) may be hampered by the levels of bureaucracy that exist in the organization. Any company of Raytheon's size will have facets, just something to keep in mind. They can be overcome, but it takes some skill.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe a consistent advocate for your employees, and inform us of areas in which it's difficult for you to go to bat for us so we can improve them. Employees understand how critical having a supportive manager is, and it's defining for our motivation.

Great

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat company and benefits. Well diverse set of groups to join as a new employee to get integrated into the new work environment.

ConsHuge company, you can easily get lost in the shuffle. Make sure you find a mentor.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote your current human capital and continue to bring in new people to fill in the lower positions.

A good company with good benefits

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) El Paso, TX

ProsThe benefits are good, and there are learning opportunities. There is a large verity of jobs and task that keep you busy all day.

ConsScreening of new managers needs to be more thorough, and contract rules need to be followed, changing requirements in the middle of a project is difficult for all involved.

Advice to Senior ManagementScreening of new managers needs to be more thorough, and contract rules need to be followed, changing requirements in the middle of a project is difficult for all involved.

A great company to work for.

Material Program Manager (Former Employee)

ProsVery good training and keeping employees informed with company growth.

ConsCompany spand a lot of time wiht training.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the good work up.

Worked for Raytheon? Contribute to the Community!