Raytheon Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
1.0
Thomas A. Kennedy

Pros
  • Good work-life balance most of the time (in 180 reviews)

• Allows 9/80 schedule for some employees (in 133 reviews)

Cons
  • In my experience didn't value work/ life balance (in 38 reviews)

• I was hoping to retire from Raytheon but upper management did not look at the ramifications of laying me off (in 44 reviews)

1. Stay Away

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Garland, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Garland, TX

I worked at Raytheon full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

1 - 1 1/2 week off free at end of year

Cons

- "Good old boy" system of promotion and management. If you do not belong to part of the club, you will never move up - People who show initiative are forced out

Advice to Management

Stop being scared of people who show initiative. Not everyone is trying to take your job.

2. laser technician

Former Employee - Senior Laser Technician in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Laser Technician in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Raytheon full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Union shop, super kick back.

Cons

They are moving manufacturing to Texas.

3. Ethics Problem

I worked at Raytheon full-time

Pros

Okay Company Not that great

Cons

Okay, I wouldnt recommend this place as my top 10

Advice to Management

Ensure employees get enough compensation and time.

Lousy management

Former Employee - Senior Electrical Engineer II in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Senior Electrical Engineer II in Tucson, AZ

Pros

Good pay and benefits. Three day weekends every other week.

Cons

Management has no desire to actually manage employees. Their goal is to hand off a task with zero preparatory work to make the employee successful. The employee is expected to dig up the information to do their job.They expect new employees to have years of experience in the defense industry and provide little to no training. Also a mindset of everything is classified making it difficult to obtain basic information to do your job. Management then complains when employees are ineffective on the job. Many facilities are a revolving door with new hires leaving in disgust after 3 - 4 years working there. Very little opportunity for advancement, section heads are selected from those the dept manager has a long term friendship with. It is rare for an employee to be selected to be a section head due to department managers surrounding themselves with fellow employees they have worked with on projects for many years. This environment fosters a cut throat relationship with all the other employees. Don't be surprised if your fellow employees stab you in the back in order to gain favor with management.

Advice to Management

Why bother, they will never listen anyway. Raytheon has their ironclad internal culture and it isn't going to change.

6. Raytheon Andover, Ma. Your worst nightmare!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Andover, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Andover, MA

I have been working at Raytheon full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

None that I have seen in 38 years of working there.

Cons

No matter how hard you work, they will shoot you down and then step over your dead body. Everyone hates that place, and I'm sure the company themselves are putting in any good reviews you see here. Women are especially treated without regard. It has only gotten worse with the new CEO Tim Kennedy. It's never been great there but now it is hell on earth. I can't wait to retire and feel bad for the young people who have many years to go.

Advice to Management

Wake up and start treating your good workers with more respect. The worst management is in Patriot. They promote the ones that treat their workers like dogs. There is no reward system. The harder you work the worse they treat you. STAY AWAY!!!

Manipulation and brown nose over company best interest

Current Employee - Senior Principal Systems Engineer in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Senior Principal Systems Engineer in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Raytheon full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Some really interesting and challenging research and development. Many different areas of defense to work in. Lots of projects... Fascinating work.

Cons

Extremely clickish, constant fear of being replaced by someone for less money. Company hires recent undergraduates to replace senior personnel. The Recent hires do not have the experience to replace senior personnel so they find themselves in an impossible position. Politics over what is best for the company. Sexism and racism are part of the atmosphere of the work environment.... That includes management. Work hours are extreme. To make deadlines usually takes 50-90 hrs a week.

Advice to Management

Stop replacing senior personnel! Explain to junior management that brown nosing and clicks are not allowed. Become serious about ending sexual harassment and racism in the work place.

The Aurora, CO Campus is Failing Miserably

Current Employee - Software Engineering Manager in Aurora, CO
    Current Employee - Software Engineering Manager in Aurora, CO

I have been working at Raytheon full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Not many at this point. Salaries are stagnant, corporate "leadership" has eliminated bonuses for everyone except for senior executives (salary grade E07+), and there aren't many opportunities for training or career advancement anymore. I suppose you get ample paid time off, but good luck using your allocation if you're in a critical role on a failing program -- and chances are that you will be.

Cons

If there were such a thing as a software development "sweat shop", this is totally it. I agree wholeheartedly with the reviewer that posted regarding the Aurora campus on 5/23/2015. All three of the major programs here are failing miserably (GPS-OCX, M2C2, and JPSS), which is negatively affecting the lives of around 1,500 employees here. This is a recent problem, and it's all due to Raytheon's pattern of responding to decreasing defense budgets by underbidding and over-promising on pretty much all contracts we engage on. As a result, it's become a tremendously stressful place to work over the past three years. That said, "hooray" for you if you're in the Top 1% of the executive employees here that get compensated with stock. Over the same last three years, the share prices have shot up to all-time highs on the backs of salaried employees that are being worked into the ground. The senior executives (VPs) and program managers in Aurora haven't written software in 20 years -- and none of them have any clue how to effectively run a lean software job in the modern world to save their lives. The only thing they *do* know how to do is to brute-force bully their salaried employees into working longer and harder with tired, inefficient software development tools that are total garbage in order to try to hold the line on cost. It's a losing strategy, and many talented people are walking out on it. Should you have the misfortune to be hired here as a manager or a technical lead, you will struggle terribly without the modern tools and management top cover you need to run your job effectively. And then you'll be blamed in front of groups of your peers for "failing". It's a total joke. Very talented people in Aurora are leaving in droves at all levels below senior management, and they're right. I'm personally to the point where I'd rather shelf my engineering degree and become a bar keep than continue to work here under these conditions. There's no winning, and there's no measurable change anywhere in sight.

Advice to Management

Pointless. Exec management here is too stodgy to know what Glassdoor even is (lest they walk right through one). I guess I may see you guys in the 21st century when you catch up to the rest of the software development world a decade from now -- if you ever do -- and that's only if the Aurora campus hasn't burned straight to the ground by then.

9. engineer

Pros

Good exposure to industry for me

Cons

Too many to list here

Dishonest and unethical management, retroactive paycuts

Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Waltham, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Waltham, MA

Pros

They have jobs in a wide variety of locations. The paycheck does hit the bank account on time. Reimbursements can take forever though.

Cons

Overseas employees repeatedly were given cuts in compensation retroactively. Twice in Iraq and at least three times in Afghanistan on different contracts when Raytheon was awarded a renewal/extension. The day the contract expires, they announced the win. 6-9 days later, always on a Friday, they announce the new pay structure retroactively effective to the date the contract was won. In Iraq, they forced employees to sign new acceptance letters by March 18th and to backdate to 27 February. Their "ethics" folks see nothing wrong with this and they hide behind the fact the work is performed overseas so jurisdiction is clouded for DOL complaints (Mass refused to investigate because work was performed outside Mass). Worse, the amount per person is relatively small, $200-$1000 , and so hiring an attorney is not practical. They know know this, and they do this as a matter of routine. When questioned about the practice when I was hired, they claimed "never happened on this contract" or "that was before my time". When they did it to me a year later, I found out they did it on this contract less than 12 months before I was hired. They are unethical and that should tell you everything about how they treat people.

Advice to Management

Review the practices of middle management, especially with respect to overseas employees under (formerly?) R. Martinez. There is no place in the US where retroactively cutting compensation is legal and it certainly isn't ethical. It was not an accident; it was deliberate, planned, they knew the new pay structure months before when they submitted their bid, and they followed the exact same routine for multiple different contracts over 7 years. Anyone associated with this policy, and the "ethics" officer who said "it was only a small amount of money" should be fired. Ethics isn't about amounts, it is about behavior. Stealing $20 from hundreds of people is not ethically superior to stealing thousands from 5 people.

11. Test Technician contractors

Former Employee - Test Technician in McKinney, TX
    Former Employee - Test Technician in McKinney, TX

I worked at Raytheon (Less than a year)

Pros

The hourly pay was okay.

Cons

No benefits, No recognition from management for taking the time to report issues with production processes or test procedures and results.

Advice to Management

Prove that you value your contract employees. Recognition can be used as a low cost benefit.

Showing 145 of 1,877 reviews