Raytheon Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.4
Thomas A. Kennedy

Pros
  • Good work-life balance most of the time (in 180 reviews)

• Allows 9/80 schedule for some employees (in 133 reviews)

Cons
  • In my experience didn't value work/ life balance (in 38 reviews)

• I was hoping to retire from Raytheon but upper management did not look at the ramifications of laying me off (in 44 reviews)

1,699 Employee Reviews

Corruption + Unwritten Rules

Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Washington, DC

I worked at Raytheon full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Raytheon could be a good place for someone right out of college or the military to gain experience, as a stepping stone to something better. Have an exit plan before you walk in the door. Don't be afraid to execute it.

Cons

My program was stagnant and struggling for funds, due in large part to management incompetence. When the program was slated for possible cancellation, it became backstabbing from all sides and all directions. Management should have put a stop to this, instead they were the ringleaders.

Beware the politics in this company - it can be brutal.
    Program management often feels like they "own you," especially if you play a key role.
    There is an "unwritten rule" that you aren't allowed to apply for another job within the company without your program management's approval.
    I've seen management do some very nasty things to keep people on program or in-country.
    If you break the unwritten rule, your management may try to sabotage you so that you won't have any opportunities inside or outside of the company.

A friend I worked with in the company once said to me, "I was on a this awful, dead-end program in Saudi for 7 years, and I wanted off that program as soon as I got on it." I asked him, "So, why didn't you just leave?" He never explained why, but the look on his face said "You don't want to know, and I don't want to talk about it."

The above may not be everyone's experience, but it was mine, and I would advise anyone to consider it before seeking employment with this company.

Advice to Management

In the Age of the Internet, your unwritten rules will become written, and your unseen conduct will be exposed for all to see. On a practical note, this company desperately needs a Jack Welch type to fire half of the management and reduce the layers of hierarchy to a reasonable number.

2. Raytheon IT

Current Employee - IT Support Analyst in Glenrothes, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - IT Support Analyst in Glenrothes, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at Raytheon

Pros

Some of the pros are the Working hours (early finish on a Friday). Most of the people know their stuff and are professional.

Cons

Management need to be more forward thinking and communicative. IT management style needs to improve i.e. it's their way or the high way. Training is only available if your face fits or based in Harlow office.

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff and you may find that their ideas might be bring the IT dept. a bit more respect within the rest of the business

HR Manager III

Former Employee - Human Resources Manager in McKinney, TX
    Former Employee - Human Resources Manager in McKinney, TX

I worked at Raytheon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

9/80 work week. Flexible schedule.

Cons

Senior Management disengaged and takes no accountability for poor decision making.

Advice to Management

Top leadership needs to hold Directors accountable for poor treatment of workforce. Poor leadership behaviors are leading to talent drain.

Look elsewhere if you can

Former Employee - Manager in Aurora, CO
    Former Employee - Manager in Aurora, CO

I worked at Raytheon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good, talented people are always leaving. If you aren't a horrible employee, you won't ever get laid off--they have a continuous need for fresh meat to feed the grinder. Simply by attrition of the better employees, you will have opportunity to move up in the company.

Cons

As a former Raytheon manager, I can say with 100% certainty that employee-facing management is mandated to abuse the workforce. Projects are perpetually underbid and over promised. Work-life balance is non-existent. Innovation is actively discouraged. The Aurora location is severely over-crowded. None of this will change any time soon.

Advice to Management

Stop trying to be Lockheed. They know how to be a prime contractor. You don't have a clue what you are doing in that role. You are running the company into the ground and ruining people's lives in your failed attempts. Return to your sub-contracting roots where you were successful.

6. Did not fulfill their recruitment promise.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jeddah (Saudi Arabia)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jeddah (Saudi Arabia)

I worked at Raytheon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

High pay overseas in Saudi.

Cons

Promised family status...after six months reneged on promise while other families were arriving. Called same recruiter in USA and they still insisted that it would be family status...nobody in Saudi told the recruiter that it was not.

Advice to Management

Get your act together. Word gets around.

Structural Analyst

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Raytheon (More than 5 years)

Pros

Some, as long as there is plenty of work. But not enough to outweigh the cons. Get it while you can and keep your options open to move on.

Cons

Many. They will ride you hard and hang you out to dry. Expect them not to keep their promises during the hiring process and they will think that they own you after you are hired. Some of the upper management is good to work with but do not expect it to last long. Management is shaken up quite often and sooner or later you will end up in a snake pit. And good luck in that one horse town. The sun and dryness will ruin your skin. Upper management will treat the lower level employees very poorly when the government contracts get thin. Beware.

Advice to Management

Take some responsibility and quit placing all the blame of inadequate management on the lower level employees. Take a course in work/life balance and get a life.

Engineer

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Raytheon full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

My many colleagues were a genuine pleasure to work with, and some have become personal friends. The old Hughes Aircraft hands, especially, were exceptionally talented, even brilliant. So many of those, unfortunately, have retired.

If your strength is optimizing the efficiency of manufacturing lines and reducing their costs, this may be a match for you. Raytheon is fairly good at this.

Cons

Raytheon epitomizes the risk-averse company imbued to its soul with a "Culture of Can't".

Their primary corporate talent is minimizing costs of higher volume production lines. Though they spout the corporate-speak of innovation, they abhor innovation and anything else that costs money. They are in the business of depositing checks, not writing them.

Advice to Management

Help your troops get their job done by breaking down the company-internal barriers of "No" which they constantly encounter, instead of sending in the Inquisition when their work invetably stalls.

9. Unethical company

Former Employee - Intern
    Former Employee - Intern

I worked at Raytheon

Pros

Overpaid senior management, strict hierarchy

Cons

Highly unethical---asked me to help cheat the taxpayer

Advice to Management

Quit, learn to meditate, learn compassion

10. Disappointing Organization

Former Employee - Engineer III Facilities in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Engineer III Facilities in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Raytheon full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Well established defense contractor with many excellent opportunities in their technical fields of endeavor. Not at all employee oriented in their approach.

Cons

The company has incredible opportunities for people but a dysfunctional leadership in place that ignores the integrity of its most important asset, the employee.

Advice to Management

Get your act together and make this the employer you say you are.

11. Sr. Electrical Engineer

I worked at Raytheon

Pros

None that i can think of.

Cons

This is a horrible place to work.

Advice to Management

Instill a culture where people aren't always trying to blame others for outcomes.

Showing 1,699 of 1,762 reviews