Raytheon

Updated Jul 31, 2014

3.3 1,380 reviews

Raytheon Chairman and CEO William H. Swanson

William H. Swanson

Pros
  • Flexible work schedule provides excellent work-life balance (in 166 reviews)

• Time-off: 9/80 schedule allows for 9 hour workdays and every other Friday off (in 126 reviews)

Cons
  • In my experience didn't value work/ life balance (in 36 reviews)

• Upper management often doesn't recognize how it is different from manufacturing (in 40 reviews)

More Highlights
1,380 Employee Reviews

Raytheon Program Controls

ProsManagement is great and flexible.

ConsLittle growth, salary increases were not competitive.

Bad place to work for supply chain professionals

Supply Chain (Current Employee) El Segundo, CA

ProsDecent pay compared to industry average. Allows 9/80 schedule for some employees. A large network of professionals, I'm really just typing words to meet the minimum requirement now

ConsAlmost everyone in the Supply Chain Management (SCM) organization is over-worked and stressed out. This is due not only to a high workload but mainly because of terrible processes, procedures and tools for SCM employees to do their jobs. There is a major disconnect between what SCM upper management thinks its employees can do (and have access to) vs. what they can really do. The other functions (engineering, finance, operations) have absolutely no respect for the SCM role or its employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf Raytheon wants to become a successful prime contractor like Boeing, Lockheed, and Northrup, it needs to do a better job of managing its supply chain. Invest in better SCM tools, procedures and employee training/resources and create an atmosphere of respect for SCM employees.

A stagnant, poorly managed organization

Engineer (Former Employee) Tucson, AZ

ProsEnough work to survive a severe turn-down in the industry

ConsThere is so much deadwood in management, that a small fire would burn the place to the ground.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the people who either never knew or forgot how to manage engineers and engineering projects.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great People... not so great politics !

Human Resources (Former Employee) Tewksbury, MA

ProsCompany has some great people and fantastic learning opportunities. The company has some very strong and talented individuals that can be great to work with. There is a lot to learn at this company in many areas. Their course portfolio and commitment to continuing development is fantastic. Very good work life balance. Outstanding benefits and more than fair compensation and benefits.
    The company business space and products can be quite inspiring. Developing products to help our warfighters, lends itself to a cultural sense of pride in the work that Raytheon does and it's openly discussed as such.
    I would recommend this company to a friend depending on what they are looking for from an employer.

ConsVery politically charged environment. Promotions and advancement seem to be based more on ones political gamesmanship and ability to schmooze within the right circles. An absolute popularity contest. There seems to be numerous lists of people better than the unwashed masses ;-) "Leadership Development Program," "Ninjas," "Presidents Culture Initiative," [insert flavor of the month here]. While these things aren't bad in and of themselves they do betray a cultural sense of exclusivity that is unattainable to most, including many top performers.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more attention to the actual work getting done and where it comes from. Spend less time admiring powerpoints and find out who is doing the heavy lifting. You will be rewarded with increased efficiency and better margins.

Great turn around under Swanson.

Engineer (Current Employee) El Segundo, CA

ProsLots of opportunities for those willing to embrace change.

ConsLacks cohesive underlying culture or branding. Long term efforts to support STEM education are starting to make headways, but overall, still lacking.

Advice to Senior ManagementSeems like there are lots of disjoint efforts to imitate companies that have strong culture/branding in the eyes of media/the public. However, these disjoint efforts are coming across like desparate attempts at imitation. Need some real top down leadership to correct this.

Greatly focused on people, intergrity, commitment, excellence, and community!

Engineer (Current Employee) Fort Wayne, IN

ProsNetworking with Employee Resourse Groups.

ConsVery competitive. May take a while to advance.

Advice to Senior ManagementMatrix Systems needs improving.

Very Helpful

EHS Manager (Current Employee) Chula Vista, CA

ProsI think that they are very supportive

ConsI did not have any or no cons

Advice to Senior Managementthey need to train a bit better in the beginning

Integrated Product Team Lead

Manager III Programs (Current Employee) Andover, MA

ProsRaytheon has excellent benefits, high pay, promotes diversity and work-life balance. Raytheon has internal job postings. Every open position needs to be posted for at least 5 days.

ConsRaytheon has evolved from an engineering company to a process company. Creativity is not appreciated. You must follow the process. The performance management system is very flawed. Merit raises are based on rankings and the rankings are done by high level managers without knowledge of the employees actual performance.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet back to being an engineering company. Promote creativity and research. Come up with new solutions rather than trying to export old solutions globally.

Raytheon is the best place to work.

Pro-e Designer (Former Employee) El Segundo, CA

ProsThe work you do at Ratheon is part of a team effort and make you successful in your mission.

ConsContract work does not last long.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide a follow on work for contract employees.

Pretty good company to work for

Senior Eng II (Current Employee) El Segundo, CA

ProsThere are very talented and nice people working there. However, there are pretty bad people there, too. Salary and benefit are pretty good, pension plan (for employees that have been there for a while) is very good.

ConsThey promote young good talkers too fast. Some of these young engineers don't have good solid skills, just know the buzz words and know how to take credit for other people's work. Some of the managers are no-technical, so they don't know how to judge.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to have good technical people to lead and to manage. That way they don't just think good talkers are the future of the company.

Worked for Raytheon? Contribute to the Community!