Raytheon

Updated Mar 14, 2014

Raytheon Chairman and CEO William H. Swanson

William H. Swanson

40 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Exciting if you're willing to relocate

Quality Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Raytheon full-time for more than 10 years

ProsExperience, exposure, employees, benefits travel

ConsToo many managers spoil the rest

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider eliminating middle management

Good place to start your career, but growth is quickly limited

Mechanical Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Raytheon full-time for more than 5 years

ProsRaytheon offers good job security, benefits, flexibility, and entry level opportunities. There are also interesting opportunities for international travel and assignments.

ConsPeople tend to get stuck doing in the same role for many years and it is very difficult to change roles and get new experiences, which causes a lack of motivation. Bureaucracy makes it difficult to get even menial tasks done. The HR cycle and performance review process doesn't make any sense and your engineering "level' does not at all correspond to your actual role in the company (entry level engineers do the same tasks as senior and principal engineers). Training and development courses are almost non-existent.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore opportunities for training and career development would help keep younger talent in the company. Leadership should try to be more aware of what happens at all levels of the company and not just the top.

Great place for training and to learn about engineering in a large organization.

Mechanical Engineer I (Former Employee)
Tewksbury, MA

I worked at Raytheon full-time for more than a year

ProsLots of training available and encouraged

ConsVery slow and subject to government budgets

Better times behind us

Senior Financial Analyst (Current Employee)

ProsDecent starting pay
Educational benefits if you are in your field (ie Finance in Finance area)
Fast paced at times

ConsPoor raises
Very difficult to get Educational benefits if you are not in your field (ie Finance supporting Engineering area)
Very content on doing things the same. Lacks investigation and improvement
Difficult to move around

Advice to Senior ManagementGive employees time to innovate

Good benefits and interesting work, but sometimes a bit too "old school".

Engineering Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Raytheon full-time for more than 8 years

Pros1) Benefits and Work/Life Balance. Solid benefits package (though it's been reduced in recent years) and generally good flexibility when it comes to work hours. Among the key niceties, they have a "9/80" schedule available where you can work 9.0 hours each day and take every-other Friday off. They also offer tuition reimbursement for advanced degrees, and there are opportunities on certain projects to get paid for your overtime -- even as a salaried employee. Nobody will make you feel bad for taking time off, even during busy times of the year.

2) The Work. This is a large company that develops a wide array of interesting products for military customers. They handle product development as well as a lot of their own manufacturing, so at many work sites you can simply walk down the hall and see how whatever you're creating fits into the larger picture of a massive defense system.

ConsI don't mean to stress the cons, but these are the things that are "less than ideal".

1) Performance incentives straight out of communist Russia. Yearly bonuses for anyone below executive level are silly small (2-4%) and aren't based on individual performance, but overall business unit and company performance. Also, don't expect anything but a single-digit percentage raise...that's even if you consistently perform well, get a great performance rating, and get promoted. Then crack open the annual report and see some execs making multimillions that are getting better percentages from year-to-year. Average raises for engineers are 3% or 4%, with max around 8%. This is especially troubling for younger employees that need quicker growth to pay off student loans and start families. I've seen many bright engineers that start after college leave after 3-5 years and get 20%-30% raises to go to commercial companies (or even other defense contractors). As a result, much of the young top talent leaves quickly for greener pastures. That, and the fact that it's difficult to innovate due to points 2 and 3, below.

2) Aging workforce. They sure do know their stuff, but a lot of employees are grumpy old defense personalities from the tail end of the cold war era. They're also 90% men and they will make up the majority of your co-workers. I've heard estimates that as many as 50% of the company's engineers are aged 50 or older. Therefore, if you're 35 or younger, prepare to constantly feel like you're working with your dad...or grand-dad. Holy cynicism, batman. Expect change to happen very slowly.

3) Bureaucracy. The federal government imposes a seriously stifling wet blanket of rules and regulations on defense contractors. Pretty much everything is hugely confusing and difficult to navigate (think of doing your own taxes to the twenty-fifth power). There's redundancy in the government's own product line, and the sea of acronyms, paperwork, and process can make you feel small, inefficient, and like it's impossible to understand anything or get anything done. What you do get done will get done slowly.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork harder to retain young talent (yes, this will be more difficult in coming years as the defense budget wanes). This includes creating an environment that better fosters creativity and gives larger raises to high performers who are low on the totem pole.

Great work/life balance, good benefits, somewhat stagnant business scope

Senior Systems Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Raytheon full-time for more than 8 years

ProsI believe Raytheon consistently delivers more technically sound engineering solutions than our competitors. Unfortunately, we historically lack shrewd business sense, which has, at times, cost us contracts. A recent change over in senior management seems to be actively working to improve the company in this area.

A great opportunity to work in a variety of roles across all aspects of the business. The company actively encourages professional growth and allows employees flexibility for their personal needs.

ConsBusiness scope is often limited by the nature of this industry. Raytheon is primarily known as a missile and radar company. We have tried to expand our repertoire some, but it is often an uphill battle to get people in the company to stretch beyond our company's core competency.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would like to see the company start explore more private ventures, and not have to solely rely on the changing whims of the elected officials in Washington.

Outstanding Culture and Environment

Intern (Current Employee)
Tewksbury, MA

I have been working at Raytheon as an intern for more than a year

ProsHigh pay (especially for a starting, entry-level position), Outstanding culture, Casual, Laid-back, great people to work with. Incredible work-life ratio (I never had to worry about taking days off or vacation time).

ConsJob Security, limited growth potential, office politics/gossip is fairly epidemic. Very segmented, cubicle culture.

Advice to Senior Managementopen door policy, be more straightforward with low level employees

6 years at Raytheon as a Software Developer and Technical Lead Role

Principal Software Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Raytheon full-time for more than 5 years

ProsChallenging work, bright people, competitive salary, generous benefits with opportunties across many organizations throughout the US.

ConsManagment is resistant to change, does not always respect opinions of employees and may stifle the career otherwise ambitious and talented employees to look elsewhere. Large programs may ramp down quickly leaving little choice but to downsize.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to respect opinions of new employees and allow them to choose thier career path. Provide sufficient resources for people to perform at thier best.

It is a Job

Systems Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Raytheon full-time for more than 5 years

Pros- Good pay - good benefits - pension plan - 401k-

ConsThis place is a cesspool
- In IADC its a factory where the number of derelicts numbers in the hundreds. The management style is who can yell the loudest . the big bully mentality still exists
- Try not to use the restrooms , they are filthy and I have seen better in a gas station.
- They say they have a 9/80 schedule, but in Andover they have cancelled it - No word when it will be back

Advice to Senior ManagementHire some positive people! - the current leaders are a bunch of zombies who follow whatever new direction is given - without even the slightest idea how to independently evaluate if the idea is any good. Constantly drinking the Kool-Aide is not good for the health of the company , though if you don't drink it you will soon be outside looking in at Raytheon.

Work on important and intriguing projects

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Raytheon full-time for more than 5 years

ProsVery interesting problems in defense and science that are changing the world, protecting the nation, and advancing technologies that leverage scienctific and mathematical research.

Good benefits.

Laid back atmosphere.

ConsHigher concentration of fuddy duddy engineers and managers than at my current employer.

Extremely slow to adopt new technologies. You'll use ClearCase instead of Git. There's little Python in sight; if you're lucky large scripts are in Perl instead of csh shell script.

Advice to Senior ManagementIdentify the weak and let them go, unless you're weak yourself. In that case: you're not qualified to discern them.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Worked for Raytheon? Contribute to the Community!

Raytheon Videos

Raytheon – Why Work for Us?

Raytheon: Aspiring to be the most admired defense and aerospace systems company through our world-class people and technology Raytheon is a technology and innovation leader specializing in defense, homeland security… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Raytheon reviews and ratings in Tewksbury, MA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Raytheon CEO William H. Swanson. All 40 reviews posted anonymously by Raytheon employees.