Raytheon Reviews in Tucson, AZ

3.3
1,490 Reviews

Raytheon Chairman and CEO William H. Swanson
William H. Swanson

Pros
  • Work-life balance is excellent for such a large accounting organization (in 175 reviews)

• Time-off: 9/80 schedule allows for 9 hour workdays and every other Friday off (in 130 reviews)

Cons
  • In my experience didn't value work/ life balance (in 37 reviews)

• Upper management often doesn't recognize how it is different from manufacturing (in 44 reviews)

More Highlights

160 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Poor culture for outgoing individuals, excellent opportunities for growth

Current Employee - Systems Engineer I in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer I in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Raytheon full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Coworkers tend to have tons of experience and know how with their work. I am very young (started here right out of my undergraduate degree) and have generally felt I've been surrounded by very intelligent people. The people you're surrounded with are generally very helpful, when they choose to be, and are good individuals. It's been heavily emphasized from the get-go that I need to get an advanced degree to move up. If you get plugged in with the right group of people, i can easily see this place being a wonderful place to work. The atmosphere is pretty cut throat, and is inspiring if you have the drive to succeed. If you have a lot of independent drive, you will build a network that will help you reach success. You need to be willing to put yourself out there (and risk falling flat on your face) to grow, which is challenging but is good. Need to consistently seek out opportunities. I generally feel in control of what I get to work on. Taking time off work is almost NEVER a problem as long as you flex your hours, use PTO, and complete work on time - a flexible schedule is absolutely wonderful, not to mention every other Friday off! Benefits are great too.

Cons

The people are generally nice and helpful, but most of all keep to themselves with their work and socially. Relationships at work aren't ever really built up and business is the primary driver (which can be good and bad, but I think a little more balance would be good). The culture is what would be expected at any engineering company - a lot of the people are very very reserved when engaging at meetings or communicating with each other which makes understanding what to do very difficult. Unless directed so by someone higher than them, more often than not people would come off as reluctant to help. Middle management is pretty awful at guiding new hires in their jobs, they just expect you to sink or swim. There is a massive gap in knowledge between new hires and most of the existing employees, with a culture that seemingly suppresses any attempt to eliminate this great divide. Also, the structure for performance reviews is awful and is set up to fail unless you devote a significant amount of time 'bragging' to your superior about your accomplishments; you'd think such a large, successful corporation would have a more defined performance evaluation cycle in place that would lead people to success. Often times I can see people getting in a rut if they don't actively communicate work to their functional supervisors, and easily getting complacent with what they do. The program I am on is rife with politics which aggravates the hell out of me, but I've heard it's not as bad as other companies.

There NEEDS to be a culture change in sharing knowledge. The divide that exists in knowledge between the head sheds to lower engineers is palpable and is established - hardly any individuals are taking it up as their duty to change this. Middle managers need to spend more time helping those below them as well as performance evaluations need to be more thorough - there needs to be a defined criteria of characteristics individuals shall meet that define the different levels of engineers. Currently, the evaluation system in place is exploited by nepotism, and unless you have a good supervisor, you won't get fairly recognized.

6 years experience in Modeling, Simulation, & Analysis

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer I in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer I in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Raytheon full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good compensation, intelligent coworkers, friendly atmosphere for the most part

Cons

Programs are quite different from each other with various types of management in all. Once you find a good one you need to stick with it. Typical large company problems of being difficult to be noticed.

Better understanding of lower level employees tasking

Great learning experience but still the company culture is stuck in 1950’s mentality.

Former Employee - Quality Assurance Engineer II in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Quality Assurance Engineer II in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Raytheon full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Learn how to work with advance technology, and team with smart individuals.

Cons

There is a layer of management that is the glorified bean counters. They are stuck in their ways as old as 1950 and make very poor discussions because of it. If you’re not part of the “Click” be prepared to get less than what you deserve and watch those who are excel in their careers even if they are poor performers. In this company perception is Key and hard work is expected.

Learn from newer successful companies on how to treat your employees. Try to think outside of the box and be less narrow minded. Leave your personal bias feelings at home and recognize hard work when it’s due.

OK place to work if you want to coast through your career and get paid well

Former Employee - Engineer in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Engineer in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Raytheon full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good pay, good benefits, easy to get away with doing nothing

Cons

If you want something that you are passionate about and actually care about what you're doing, this is not for you. A lot of the time, you can do nothing and no one cares because you're one of 12,000 employees.

Systems Engineer

Former Employee - Systems Engineer II in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Raytheon full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great time off policies, holidays, and perks.

Cons

Personal growth and getting promotions.

Ancient values of managing.

Excellent technical community at large defense contractor

Current Employee - Senior Multi-Disciplined Engineer II in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Senior Multi-Disciplined Engineer II in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Raytheon full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Opportunity to work with some of the finest technical minds in the country, addressing problems that really matter to armed forces.

Cons

Long procurement cycles mean technology is out-of-date compared to civilian world. Some merit promotions are delayed until young employee has "paid his dues."

The lack of on-the-job training budget is a short-term philosophy that will lead to brain drain as the Cold-War era engineers retire without socializing their knowledge.

Great mission, poor environment.

Former Employee - Manager III in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Manager III in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Raytheon full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Very interesting/technical work and mission. Supporting the warfighter in this current world environment can be very gratifying and their products get the job done.

Cons

Leadership and work environment less than professional. Bottom line focus at all costs including staff careers - high performance means nothing. Not a "career" focused company.

You have the makings of a great company but need to get your priorities on track and do something about it. In particular a focus on your greatest asset, your staff. Your leadership at many levels lack professionalism and basic skills.

Solid company, no surprises for a defense company its size

Current Employee - Senior Supply Chain Specialist in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Senior Supply Chain Specialist in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Raytheon full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flex time, vacation, benefits, good people, good mid level managers in that they care about their employees, offers training,

Cons

Typical corporation, good opportunities in the long haul, but be prepared to put in time as "time" in job is the primary promotion tool. Upper management removed from reality as is typical with a company this size; defense industry has pluses and minuses

I learned a lot there and It was a good place to start me career.

Former Employee - Systems Engineer II in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Raytheon full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

great coworkers, compensation was competitive, managers always had time for me when I needed it.

Cons

location, wasn’t a lot of opportunities for advancement, I am not a fan of the culture of government contractors

I think it would be good if you discussed with younger employees what their 5 year goal would be and talk to them about how they might achieve that in the company

No quality control: operation has few checks and balances.

Former Employee - Communications Analyst in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Communications Analyst in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Raytheon as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Raytheon has the latest, greatest computers, software, screens, and even desk chairs.
    ATO

Cons

I worked in the publications department that produced newsletters, web sites and brochures for Raytheon products. I was appalled to find out that they were hiring anyone from the military who had a Secret clearance or fresh college graduates, most of whom could barely distinguish an adverb from an adjective.
    These folks were paid the same low wages as people with two journalism degrees and 20 years in the newspaper business. I also was shocked to discover that management imposed no monetary caps on requests from another Raytheon groups. That meant different divisions should run up huge "bills" with no accountability. Basically, I got fed up with our tax dollars being wasted on birthday banners, posters, and gold-leaf books like the one produced for a NATO party.

Pay employees according to experience and ability.