Raytheon Reviews in Tucson, AZ

3.3
1,447 Reviews

Raytheon Chairman and CEO William H. Swanson
William H. Swanson

Pros
  • Flexible work schedule provides excellent work-life balance (in 166 reviews)

• Time-off: 9/80 schedule allows for 9 hour workdays and every other Friday off (in 126 reviews)

Cons
  • In my experience didn't value work/ life balance (in 36 reviews)

• Upper management often doesn't recognize how it is different from manufacturing (in 40 reviews)

More Highlights

156 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Poor culture for outgoing individuals, excellent opportunities for growth

Current Employee - Systems Engineer I  in  Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer I in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Raytheon full-time for more than a year

Pros

Coworkers tend to have tons of experience and know how with their work. I am very young (started here right out of my undergraduate degree) and have generally felt I've been surrounded by very intelligent people. The people you're surrounded with are generally very helpful, when they choose to be, and are good individuals. It's been heavily emphasized from the get-go that I need to get an advanced degree to move up. If you get plugged in with the right group of people, i can easily see this place being a wonderful place to work. The atmosphere is pretty cut throat, and is inspiring if you have the drive to succeed. If you have a lot of independent drive, you will build a network that will help you reach success. You need to be willing to put yourself out there (and risk falling flat on your face) to grow, which is challenging but is good. Need to consistently seek out opportunities. I generally feel in control of what I get to work on. Taking time off work is almost NEVER a problem as long as you flex your hours, use PTO, and complete work on time - a flexible schedule is absolutely wonderful, not to mention every other Friday off! Benefits are great too.

Cons

The people are generally nice and helpful, but most of all keep to themselves with their work and socially. Relationships at work aren't ever really built up and business is the primary driver (which can be good and bad, but I think a little more balance would be good). The culture is what would be expected at any engineering company - a lot of the people are very very reserved when engaging at meetings or communicating with each other which makes understanding what to do very difficult. Unless directed so by someone higher than them, more often than not people would come off as reluctant to help. Middle management is pretty awful at guiding new hires in their jobs, they just expect you to sink or swim. There is a massive gap in knowledge between new hires and most of the existing employees, with a culture that seemingly suppresses any attempt to eliminate this great divide. Also, the structure for performance reviews is awful and is set up to fail unless you devote a significant amount of time 'bragging' to your superior about your accomplishments; you'd think such a large, successful corporation would have a more defined performance evaluation cycle in place that would lead people to success. Often times I can see people getting in a rut if they don't actively communicate work to their functional supervisors, and easily getting complacent with what they do. The program I am on is rife with politics which aggravates the hell out of me, but I've heard it's not as bad as other companies.

There NEEDS to be a culture change in sharing knowledge. The divide that exists in knowledge between the head sheds to lower engineers is palpable and is established - hardly any individuals are taking it up as their duty to change this. Middle managers need to spend more time helping those below them as well as performance evaluations need to be more thorough - there needs to be a defined criteria of characteristics individuals shall meet that define the different levels of engineers. Currently, the evaluation system in place is exploited by nepotism, and unless you have a good supervisor, you won't get fairly recognized.

Systems Engineer

Former Employee - Systems Engineer II  in  Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer II in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Raytheon full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great time off policies, holidays, and perks.

Cons

Personal growth and getting promotions.

Ancient values of managing.

Excellent technical community at large defense contractor

Current Employee - Senior Multi-Disciplined Engineer II  in  Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Senior Multi-Disciplined Engineer II in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Raytheon full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Opportunity to work with some of the finest technical minds in the country, addressing problems that really matter to armed forces.

Cons

Long procurement cycles mean technology is out-of-date compared to civilian world. Some merit promotions are delayed until young employee has "paid his dues."

The lack of on-the-job training budget is a short-term philosophy that will lead to brain drain as the Cold-War era engineers retire without socializing their knowledge.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Solid company, no surprises for a defense company its size

Current Employee - Senior Supply Chain Specialist  in  Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Senior Supply Chain Specialist in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Raytheon full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Flex time, vacation, benefits, good people, good mid level managers in that they care about their employees, offers training,

Cons

Typical corporation, good opportunities in the long haul, but be prepared to put in time as "time" in job is the primary promotion tool. Upper management removed from reality as is typical with a company this size; defense industry has pluses and minuses

I learned a lot there and It was a good place to start me career.

Former Employee - Systems Engineer II  in  Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer II in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Raytheon full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

great coworkers, compensation was competitive, managers always had time for me when I needed it.

Cons

location, wasn’t a lot of opportunities for advancement, I am not a fan of the culture of government contractors

I think it would be good if you discussed with younger employees what their 5 year goal would be and talk to them about how they might achieve that in the company

No quality control: operation has few checks and balances.

Former Employee - Communications Analyst  in  Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Communications Analyst in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Raytheon as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Raytheon has the latest, greatest computers, software, screens, and even desk chairs.
    ATO

Cons

I worked in the publications department that produced newsletters, web sites and brochures for Raytheon products. I was appalled to find out that they were hiring anyone from the military who had a Secret clearance or fresh college graduates, most of whom could barely distinguish an adverb from an adjective.
    These folks were paid the same low wages as people with two journalism degrees and 20 years in the newspaper business. I also was shocked to discover that management imposed no monetary caps on requests from another Raytheon groups. That meant different divisions should run up huge "bills" with no accountability. Basically, I got fed up with our tax dollars being wasted on birthday banners, posters, and gold-leaf books like the one produced for a NATO party.

Pay employees according to experience and ability.

Old & Slow

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer  in  Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Raytheon full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great schedule, flexibility, and decent compensation for Tucson.

Cons

Promotions are based on 'time in service' as opposed to talent. Age rules here and there is some reverse age discrimination against younger employees.

do a better job of developing and rewarding the up & comers in the business.

Corporate life

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Raytheon full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Employees in general are really good people in general, great work schedule - 9/80. Pay is above average for the Tucson area, but annual pay raises have been stagnant.

Cons

Recent cost cutting atmosphere seems to have limit promotions and the management's focus on trivial things. Need to do a better job defining career paths.

Corporate initiatives to drive synergy across business units functions appears to be swinging the pendulum of enterprise management power and decision making too far.

A bureaucracy that takes care of its people

Former Employee - Intern  in  Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Intern in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Raytheon part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

They have some really nice perks, and go out of their way to make interns feel welcomed.

Cons

It's a typical bureaucratic workplace, it's hard to get things done.

Challenge the interns! Some of the managers do, but many of them don't.

I could work here my whole career.

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer II  in  Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer II in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Raytheon full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

For a large organization, it is clear that there is still a sense of community. Employees care about respecting one another (those that don't are shunned!) and people just want to make a solid product. It's a great company for an engineer and the more you get involved the more it will give back to you.

Cons

The economic environment has management driving for more efficiencies constantly and sometimes it doesn't let an engineer spend as much time on a problem as he might like.

Share the wealth?

Worked for Raytheon? Contribute to the Community!