Raytheon

Raytheon Reviews in Tucson, AZ

Updated Jul 10, 2014

Raytheon Chairman and CEO William H. Swanson

William H. Swanson

Pros
  • Flexible work schedule provides excellent work-life balance(in 165 reviews)

• Time-off: 9/80 schedule allows for 9 hour workdays and every other Friday off(in 126 reviews)

Cons
  • In my experience didn't value work/ life balance(in 35 reviews)

• Upper management often doesn't recognize how it is different from manufacturing(in 40 reviews)

148 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

I could work here my whole career.

Senior Systems Engineer II (Current Employee) Tucson, AZ

ProsFor a large organization, it is clear that there is still a sense of community. Employees care about respecting one another (those that don't are shunned!) and people just want to make a solid product. It's a great company for an engineer and the more you get involved the more it will give back to you.

ConsThe economic environment has management driving for more efficiencies constantly and sometimes it doesn't let an engineer spend as much time on a problem as he might like.

Advice to Senior ManagementShare the wealth?

A bureaucracy that takes care of its people

Intern (Former Employee) Tucson, AZ

ProsThey have some really nice perks, and go out of their way to make interns feel welcomed.

ConsIt's a typical bureaucratic workplace, it's hard to get things done.

Advice to Senior ManagementChallenge the interns! Some of the managers do, but many of them don't.

A stagnant, poorly managed organization

Engineer (Former Employee) Tucson, AZ

ProsEnough work to survive a severe turn-down in the industry

ConsThere is so much deadwood in management, that a small fire would burn the place to the ground.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the people who either never knew or forgot how to manage engineers and engineering projects.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Place to Develop Early Experience for Career Development

Electrical Engineer II (Current Employee) Tucson, AZ

ProsEntry level salary is very competitive and great for starting out. Very smart engineers that guide you through the different processes for any job given. Many opportunities to expand your work/life balance and meet other employees through their different Networking programs.

ConsDepending on the program or department you're working on, you may encounter an influx of very stubborn and rude engineers. You need to know what to ask, and be very proactive to solve even the most minor problems. Unnecessary office gossip also spreads like wildfire, be wary of your actions.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement feels like they under-appreciate new employees. Not enough is done to improve or motivate new employees to have longer tenures with the company. Cutting benefits is not helpful either.

The culture has changed.

Engineer (Former Employee) Tucson, AZ

ProsThe work is varied and interesting and there are plenty of different projects to work on.

ConsThe stress levels have ratcheted up across the board and employee support is at a low.

Advice to Senior ManagementRe-invest in employee training opportunities. Also, move back to a model that supports employee development and risk taking.

Work Hard and They will Reward

Senior Systems Engineer I (Current Employee) Tucson, AZ

ProsI have worked at Raytheon for 6 years as a system engineer. The opportunities once in the company are endless. I feel that the effort I have put in has been recognized and I have been adequately compensated for my time. Its a great company and although a bit late to the game on mentorship, they are really focusing on transfer of knowledge to the younger employees. Great schedule 9/80s.

ConsAt times the shear size of the operations and number of different players can be hard to comprehend. Once you get a few years under your belt, you really start to realize how little you know in the big picture. You have to seek out opportunity and take charge of your career. Its easy to get "lost" in a company this size so you must be proactive about furthering your education and experience. Find a good mentor and learn as much as possible.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to develop the mentorship programs in order to transfer the vast knowledge that exists at the top. Consider a training program when an individual is going to take a new assignment such as REA, IPT Lead, ect. Explain what is expected of the individual in that assignment and what their specific job responsibilities are.

Positive

Systems Designer (Current Employee) Tucson, AZ

ProsVery professional environment, co-workers are friendly, always have equipment I need

ConsNo windows, large enclosed office area, contractor time card is confusing and complicated

Good for people with families, better for men than women

Senior Multi Disciplined Engineer I (Current Employee) Tucson, AZ

ProsPay is competitive. Opportunities for travel.

ConsStill an old boys club. The work is super boring. Lots of people with no real trade or technical skill who have made a career of impeding progress by controlling access. General fear of new technology or methods often stating "we have always done it this way" as an excuse not to innovate.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet young engineers out of the cubes. Get the old boys who have grabbed up all the cool work, including great travel opportunities to share these tasks. Get management to listen when employees say they are bored and seeking interesting tasks.

A great place to be a contributor but management is clueless

Contributor (Former Employee) Tucson, AZ

ProsThe salary is very good as are the benefits. When given the opportunity to grow and develop as an employee, the options are there, but only to a point. Very smart workforce, at least in Engineering, but most of the support areas there is a lot of nepotism, EEO promotions, and good old boy networks.

ConsThe management is out of touch. They don't relate to the work force, as many of them are only looking out for themselves or are very frightened when people under them do well, or are better respected then they are. HR is useless. They try to get you to work for Raytheon then abandon you as an employee. Many long term employees get laid off or fired for little or no reason. The Peter Principle is alive and well at Raytheon!

Advice to Senior ManagementRaytheon should seriously examine their HR records with regards to retention rates, employee opinions, and general work force morale.

Best place for age discrimination

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Tucson, AZ

ProsBig place with nice co-workers and good facilities

ConsVery pore management, company is always first even at the expense of the individual/employee. No concept for scheduling.

Advice to Senior Managementget a life and remember who you are responsible to

Worked for Raytheon? Contribute to the Community!