Razorfish Reviews

Updated October 14, 2014
Updated October 14, 2014
3.6

Pete Stein

Pros
  • The hours provide a reasonable work life balance for an agency (in 35 reviews)

• Lots of opportunity to work with great clients and extremely smart people / teams (in 43 reviews)

Cons
  • Work / life balance may be good to some degree with tons of paid time off BUT you will work on those days off (in 14 reviews)

• Unstable long term outlook for client list, Long long hours, this is not the company to get promoted at - bad review process (in 21 reviews)

More Highlights

Good place to work

Current Employee - Media Planner in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Media Planner in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Razorfish full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

culture is fun- lots of happy hours, group activities and young people in general.Co workers are whats kept me here for 4+ years and there is a great view of the water from most desks as we're located right on pier 39.

Cons

The San Francisco office is decreasing in size due to shifts within the Publicis family. Upper management doesn't look out for their individual employees but rather just the company as a whole.

Great learning experience

Former Employee - Interactive Designer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Interactive Designer in Chicago, IL

I worked at Razorfish full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fast pace, high quality of work, great culture

Cons

too fast but not based on research so much

cool place

I have been working at Razorfish

Pros

cool place to work with, really positive working atmosphere

Cons

not very considerate for international students working options

Great place to get experience working on digital.

Former Employee - Art Director in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Art Director in New York, NY

I worked at Razorfish as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

You get to work with some really smart creative teams on pretty fun accounts. A great chance to work on concepting for digital and social solutions for some pretty interesting clients. The office is one of the nicer ones I've been in and there's some space to walk around inside or on the huge balcony.

Cons

It can be a bit slow sometimes, but it's that way everywhere once in a while.

My experience as a front end developer

Current Employee - Web Developer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Web Developer in New York, NY

I have been working at Razorfish full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good people
    challenging work
    technology is pretty good

Cons

Limited career path, unsatisfied with compensation.

I felt that the career reviews were more for show. I performed well and got my projects done ahead of schedule. When it came for a review I never got a raise. Later on when I left the company I found out some of the newer hires, who did my work, and who I thought I was more skilled than earned 20k more, just because they were new hires.

My advice is be more proactive in retaining your talent, in this age, especially with sites like glassdoor perspective employees will find out one way or another whether they are getting shafted by their employer, and in the long run that is not good.

Cumbersome corporate chaos since being acquired by Publicis

I have been working at Razorfish full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Generous holiday schedule, casual work environment, nice office space, great benefits plan, nice corporate discount programs, consistent offerings throughout the year for training and seminars to improve specific skills or knowledge in various areas within the industry.

Cons

Leadership has changed repeatedly over the years, general feeling of instability, 4 rounds of layoffs since the beginning of 2013, communication is inconsistent company-wide, the culture is borderline abusive and inherently disrespectful between teams, bad behavior is ignored, and in some cases even rewarded, bonuses are non-existent for most employees, merit raises (when they happen) are 1-3%, promotions are a mystery

Rude PM and disorganised management

I have been working at Razorfish

Pros

Flexible hours and option to work remotely. nice medical insurance package. I guess nothing else

Cons

most of the Project managers are rude knowing nothing about coding but yet good at preasuring you to finish tasks in ridiculous deadline. Your performance depends on if the manager likes you or not. Promotion is difficult to get. The razorfish culture is disorganized. You get terminated without notice and in a rude way. Once you smell a rat, start looking for a new job .

Great place to work, in the long run, you're not growing your portfolio by leaps and bounds

Current Employee - Senior Designer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Designer in New York, NY

I have been working at Razorfish full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Wonderful working environment, wonderful people, good management, fostering environment for ideas, creativity is often not pushed beyond the ask to meet the client brief

Cons

Creative work can often be stripped down to bare nuts and bolts. Stagnation can hit in weeks and months with little creative work produced or pushed live. People running the accounts are not as concerned with the opinion of "they're producing great work" more often its "they're making their client happy and meeting expectations of sales/consumer growth/deadlines/coming in on budget.

Very smart people, love their clients, creative is often a slave to media advertising, social media, long-term heavy e-commerce site and the occasional big digital idea that exists as a viral campaign, microsite, large-scale cross-platform experience.

Interns: Have a plan and reason to be here or go somewhere else

Former Employee - Art Director Intern in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Art Director Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Razorfish as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Lots of people to meet if you're wanting to network actively

Cons

Not the most creative work being put out, people are generally working on one account, as an intern you get sucked into twitter/facebook posts if working with the wrong team... too bad because more exciting opportunities could have been had (had they valued and utilized the interns more)

Good place to cut your teeth, stuck in a rut

Current Employee - Experience Director in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Experience Director in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Razorfish full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good life-work balance, people generally care for your well-being, some really smart people.

Cons

Stuck in an old model, feeling pressure from the technology side and the consulting side. It's having a hard time finding its voice. In many ways, its hard to see a future where Razorfish is still relevant or at least at the forefront. It either needs to find other ways of providing value outside of media and advertising, or accept that's all we do.