Razorfish Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.4
Pete Stein

Pros
  • Good work-life balance for an agency (in 35 reviews)

• Really smart people doing innovative things (in 43 reviews)

Cons
  • sometimes hard for work & life balance (in 14 reviews)

• Lean teams can mean long hours with the lack of resources (in 22 reviews)

Great work environment

Current Employee - Senior Designer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Designer in New York, NY

I have been working at Razorfish

Pros

Great work life balance. Good mix of work. Love the location of the office (Bryant Park), smart people.

Cons

I haven't experienced anything negative since joining. I'm sure there is something that rubs people wrong but like i said, haven't experienced anything negative.

razorfish was great, until i got shit-canned.

Former Employee - Senior CopyWriter
    Former Employee - Senior CopyWriter

I worked at Razorfish

Pros

big brands, some fairly large production budgets and a true desire to do great work. like many agencies, the people are great and many of them are very talented. the fish also has great work/life balance. beer in the office, free snacks.

Cons

no bonuses, no severance, and the CDs that are there have been there forever [like 20 years] so if you're looking to advance as a creative, it probably won't happen in portland, and like many agencies, do not trust ANYONE.

Advice to Management

don't be mean. we are all in this together. it's just advertising.

Business Analysy

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Dayton, OH
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Dayton, OH

I have been working at Razorfish full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Competitive atmosphere it is a great place to learn and gain experience quickly has a great culture and the people are incredible to work with. I think it is a great company to jump start your career. I would recommend.

Cons

There are long hours and clients can be demanding withe deadlines and work that they want finished which can lead to a lot of stress.

Advice to Management

I think that we are heading in the right direction but we need to promote a healthier work life balance so that we reduce burn out. However this depends on client teams and management per project

Great company, amazing benefits

Current Employee - Presentation Layer Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Presentation Layer Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Razorfish full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company treats its employees like royalty. The amazing amount of paid holidays, vacation time, and employee benefits are fantastic. The actual work done within the company is even better, working on very large, familiar clients.

Cons

Having to work downtown is a little tricky/expensive at times, especially during festival season.

Groupethink is costing employees

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Razorfish full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

* Wonderful culture
    * Amazing colleagues
    * Interesting work

Cons

* Corporate parent, Publicis Groupe, has cancelled bonuses and increased target profits; no matter how much our profits increase YOY, it's never enough to reach unreasonable targets
    * Unrealistic margin targets mean that projects are chronically understaffed; when gaps are filled, it is with short-term contractors and off-shore resources, which places a high burden on FTEs who must divert significant effort to constantly train and onboard revolving-door staffers

Advice to Management

Push for corporate parent to slow down aggressive digital agency acquisition strategy, which is funded by not paying employee bonuses, minuscule annual salary increases, and setting unrealistic margin requirements.

In the past few months alone, the following acquisitions have been made/completed:
    June 3, 2015: Match Media
    Feb. 26, 2015: Epic Communications
    Feb. 6, 2015: Completes acquisition of Sapient (an all-cash $3.7 billion acquisition)

Two or three stars?

Current Employee - Presentation Layer Architect in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Presentation Layer Architect in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Razorfish

Pros

The only reason Razorfish gets three stars from me is because the immediate coworkers that you have around you are almost always great to work with. I've been here for two years and have worked on a *ton* of accounts. Generally speaking, team synergy is excellent, though process is always lacking, without exception.

Cons

Management at Razorfish is non-existent. Since the Publicis buyout, the Razorfish employee experience has had a hatchet taken to it to save money for some investors pocketbooks, which has absolutely killed the office culture. We lost bonuses, we lost our holiday party (which they tried to pretend it was real by putting some pretzels in a lounge and telling us to go hang out), and our margins are expected to be something like 50 to 60 %. Imagine the stress put on the teams.

None the less, the hard working badasses at RF still managed to shoot past our 2015 Q1 target by 7 or so million dollars putting it at 100 million for RF U.S. alone. This is frustrating because off the backs of incredibly hard work, against incredibly hard clients, and over stupidly long hours somebody is getting a serious benefit. But it's not the people actually doing the work.

As an architect, time and time again I am frustrated by the fact that they refuse to allow bench time (compare that to healthy companies like Google or Facebook that allow something like 25-30% bench time), and immediately cut any new hires the second a project begins to wind down. Not only does that mean burning bridges (we can't get good developers anymore), but we are hemorrhaging our best talent like somebody just shanked us in the jugular.

At Razorfish, the only benefit that I see is "decent" pay (its not even competitive anymore), and great stuff (e.g. huge clients) for your portfolio - and I don't mean "I built a microsite for Ford Motors", but rather, "I architected the entire responsive front-end of [name a huge client]". But if you come on as a contractor, don't think for a second that that 2, 6 or 12 month contract means that you have that much secure work time, because they will get rid of you in a DAY without any prior notice when they see a project is wrapping up, and it makes me sick.

We've lost our best talent because of this unhealthy corporate attitude, and they're about to lose even more (me) because of 50+% contractor staff aug and the remaining standing ranks that we have aren't nearly as good as they used to be. Who wants to work time and time again with wild-cards where you are likely to get an amateur when working with industry-leading clients?

Not me.

Advice to Management

Stop focusing on the short term. By treating your employees poorly you're driving the company into the ground. It doesn't matter, though, the truth is that this company is being rung out like a wet towel until all the money that could be squeezed from it is gone, and then the carcass of a once-great powerhouse will be tossed to the wolves and RF will be forgotten.

8. Good company

Former Employee - Art Director in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Art Director in New York, NY

I worked at Razorfish (More than a year)

Pros

Nice, smart people. Decent clients.

Cons

Questionable leadership at the director level.

Advice to Management

Pay attention more

aggressive environment

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Razorfish full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pays well. Benefits are good. Free snacks in community kitchen

Cons

Where to begin. There is very little actual leadership or support. A lot of talent has left or was laid off. People are referred to as resources. There is verbal abuse from leaders that is at times public and embarrassing. People are extremely stressed and wok long hours. While there is some great talent there, it is no better or worse than competitors. Too much dependence on old and outdated systems that are band aided together instead of replaced. There is no on boarding. New employees are left to their own devices to figure out these old, archaic systems.

Advice to Management

Protect your teams wellbeing. The people who produce the work are the company's real asset. Hire more full time people and depend less on contractors.
    Upgrade your systems. ERP technology from 2006 is not relevant for a modern digital business and should be upgraded substantially.

client partner

I worked at Razorfish full-time

Pros

a big digital agency serving global brands. lots of smart people across every discipline. opportunities to pitch for various types of business - it's never dull.

Cons

the publicis acquisition muted a little of the independent, entrepreneurial spirit of the agency.

Advice to Management

a little more integration between the regions in the u.s.

Creative designer

I worked at Razorfish full-time

Pros

Creative and talented people are employed there

Cons

At times there was operational red tape to navigate.

RSS Feed </> Embed