Razorfish Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.4
Tom Adamski

Pros
  • Good work-life balance for an agency (in 35 reviews)

• Really smart people doing innovative things (in 43 reviews)

Cons
  • sometimes hard for work & life balance (in 14 reviews)

• Lean teams can mean long hours with the lack of resources (in 22 reviews)

Mostly great, with some exceptions

I have been working at Razorfish full-time

Pros

Great culture, supportive overall and after maternity leave, smart and empathetic people.

Cons

Work isn't always that interesting, poor leadership at all levels, no structure in place for improving leadership, slow to promote.

Advice to Management

Invest in ongoing leadership training. Current training is worthless.

Great work environment

Current Employee - Senior Designer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Designer in New York, NY

I have been working at Razorfish

Pros

Great work life balance. Good mix of work. Love the location of the office (Bryant Park), smart people.

Cons

I haven't experienced anything negative since joining. I'm sure there is something that rubs people wrong but like i said, haven't experienced anything negative.

Senior Project Manager

I have been working at Razorfish

Pros

Incredibly talented team of people.

Cons

Can be difficult to maintain work/life balance.

Two or three stars?

Current Employee - Presentation Layer Architect in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Presentation Layer Architect in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Razorfish

Pros

The only reason Razorfish gets three stars from me is because the immediate coworkers that you have around you are almost always great to work with. I've been here for two years and have worked on a *ton* of accounts. Generally speaking, team synergy is excellent, though process is always lacking, without exception.

Cons

Management at Razorfish is non-existent. Since the Publicis buyout, the Razorfish employee experience has had a hatchet taken to it to save money for some investors pocketbooks, which has absolutely killed the office culture. We lost bonuses, we lost our holiday party (which they tried to pretend it was real by putting some pretzels in a lounge and telling us to go hang out), and our margins are expected to be something like 50 to 60 %. Imagine the stress put on the teams. None the less, the hard working badasses at RF still managed to shoot past our 2015 Q1 target by 7 or so million dollars putting it at 100 million for RF U.S. alone. This is frustrating because off the backs of incredibly hard work, against incredibly hard clients, and over stupidly long hours somebody is getting a serious benefit. But it's not the people actually doing the work. As an architect, time and time again I am frustrated by the fact that they refuse to allow bench time (compare that to healthy companies like Google or Facebook that allow something like 25-30% bench time), and immediately cut any new hires the second a project begins to wind down. Not only does that mean burning bridges (we can't get good developers anymore), but we are hemorrhaging our best talent like somebody just shanked us in the jugular. At Razorfish, the only benefit that I see is "decent" pay (its not even competitive anymore), and great stuff (e.g. huge clients) for your portfolio - and I don't mean "I built a microsite for Ford Motors", but rather, "I architected the entire responsive front-end of [name a huge client]". But if you come on as a contractor, don't think for a second that that 2, 6 or 12 month contract means that you have that much secure work time, because they will get rid of you in a DAY without any prior notice when they see a project is wrapping up, and it makes me sick. We've lost our best talent because of this unhealthy corporate attitude, and they're about to lose even more (me) because of 50+% contractor staff aug and the remaining standing ranks that we have aren't nearly as good as they used to be. Who wants to work time and time again with wild-cards where you are likely to get an amateur when working with industry-leading clients? Not me.

Advice to Management

Stop focusing on the short term. By treating your employees poorly you're driving the company into the ground. It doesn't matter, though, the truth is that this company is being rung out like a wet towel until all the money that could be squeezed from it is gone, and then the carcass of a once-great powerhouse will be tossed to the wolves and RF will be forgotten.

Publicis vs Razorfish Still An Issue

Former Employee - Project Management in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Project Management in Chicago, IL

I worked at Razorfish

Pros

Great benefits, great office space (lots of perks, such as free coffee, beer, fruits everyday).

Cons

Legacy Razorfish staff (leadership) can't get past Publicis influence. They've given up and are waiting for serverances (healthy ones).

Advice to Management

Resign and move on. If you still love the old Razorfish then go find that spirit elsewhere. Otherwise, embrace the new Publicis influence and rejuvenate your career.

A good place to advance your career

Former Employee - Senior Analyst in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at Razorfish full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Dome great people work and you can learn a lot and definitely advance your skills and future employment opportunities.

Cons

Your personal life will suffer as you work long hours and are a slave to your work. In return they will pump you full of booze and food, which is either a pro or a con depending on you.

Creative Director

Current Employee - Creative Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Creative Director in New York, NY

I have been working at Razorfish (More than 3 years)

Pros

Smart people, fun clients, good atmosphere

Cons

Poor mentoring, demanding, advancement limited

Changing agency

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Razorfish

Pros

Interesting client work, fun atmosphere, managers who care

Cons

Publicis, recently high turnover, layoffs in the past 3 years, ececutives out of touch with client work

Groupethink is costing employees

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Razorfish full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

* Wonderful culture * Amazing colleagues * Interesting work

Cons

* Corporate parent, Publicis Groupe, has cancelled bonuses and increased target profits; no matter how much our profits increase YOY, it's never enough to reach unreasonable targets * Unrealistic margin targets mean that projects are chronically understaffed; when gaps are filled, it is with short-term contractors and off-shore resources, which places a high burden on FTEs who must divert significant effort to constantly train and onboard revolving-door staffers

Advice to Management

Push for corporate parent to slow down aggressive digital agency acquisition strategy, which is funded by not paying employee bonuses, minuscule annual salary increases, and setting unrealistic margin requirements. In the past few months alone, the following acquisitions have been made/completed: June 3, 2015: Match Media Feb. 26, 2015: Epic Communications Feb. 6, 2015: Completes acquisition of Sapient (an all-cash $3.7 billion acquisition)

Business Analysy

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Dayton, OH
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Dayton, OH

I have been working at Razorfish full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Competitive atmosphere it is a great place to learn and gain experience quickly has a great culture and the people are incredible to work with. I think it is a great company to jump start your career. I would recommend.

Cons

There are long hours and clients can be demanding withe deadlines and work that they want finished which can lead to a lot of stress.

Advice to Management

I think that we are heading in the right direction but we need to promote a healthier work life balance so that we reduce burn out. However this depends on client teams and management per project

RSS Feed </> Embed