Razorfish Reviews

Updated April 20, 2015
412 reviews filtered by

1. Razorfish was an awesome agency experience!

Former Employee - Senior Project Lead in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Project Lead in Seattle, WA

I worked at Razorfish full-time (more than a year)

Pros

My manager was very interested in my career progress and assigned projects which provided exposure to leadership.

Cons

Agencies are very busy, so work-life balance can be challenging. However, Razorfish was very good about recognizing efforts and rewarding accordingly

Advice to Management

Better training and team-building would have helped to figure out the Razorfish ecosystem (e.g. how payroll questions were handled, who to escalate issues to, and when the treats would be delivered - it was a month before I was told that a large fruit basket was delivered weekly).

Shortsighted

Current Employee - Creative in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Creative in Portland, OR

I have been working at Razorfish full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The financial compensation is uncharacteristically high for Portland. Being located in Southwest Downtown there are numerous options for lunch and dinner. Being owned by a publicly traded, multinational company presents opportunities to move between offices. There is relatively little pushback when submitting expenses—as long as they are within reason. In my opinion, most of the people who work here are very nice, relaxed, and easy to work with.

Cons

One technology-based client provides most of the project work here, making it extremely difficult to diversify your portfolio. Projects seem to last much longer than at other creative firms and typically result in a disappointing, uncreative final product. The Portland office lacks creative leadership due to no Executive Creative Director and few CD's. Management and leadership positions are held by employees who rarely work in the office—many live outside the state of Oregon.

Advice to Management

I think many would appreciate new, multiple clients. The Portland office could also benefit from more focus on the conceptual advertising work, as opposed to account retention. The office could use creative leadership, from within, not from another city or state.

Great people, competitive, long hours

I worked at Razorfish

Pros

great colleagues

some very interesting projects and opportunities

top tier clients

Cons

poor work-life balance

travel - the work and projects are turning into a typical consultancy ala deloitte

if your project of client is lousy, your life is horrible

layoffs anytime, anywhere

5. A good atmosphere that attempts to keep it's employees well fed, and functionally tipsy

Former Intern - Copywriter in New York, NY
    Former Intern - Copywriter in New York, NY

I worked at Razorfish as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

People are friendly and helpful. Free meals. Everyone wants to work.

Cons

A little disorganized sometimes.

Siloed teams, not a great culture.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Razorfish full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great people. Most were really engaged in their work.

Cons

Interesting work, but not boundary pushing. Too many favored sons at the top looking to build their own reputations rather than strive for great work. Overuse of freelancers.

Advice to Management

Reorganize - no need to have separate planning and strategy teams. Work on strengthening in-office and inter-office relations.

Used to be a great place. Now just a consulting company for subpar clients.

Current Employee - Senior Motion Designer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Motion Designer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Razorfish full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good work life balance most of the time. Competitive salaries. Lots of days off.

Cons

The culture has been dead for a while. Upper creative management has replied with "it will never be the old Razorfish ever again.

Advice to Management

Quit going after subpar clients with the intent of doing subpar work. But still charging A list budgets.

8. Surrounded by Talented Individuals

Former Intern - Creative Intern in San Francisco, CA
    Former Intern - Creative Intern in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Razorfish as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Everyone is willing to help, incredible company culture, work was fun!

Cons

I loved everything about working there.

Great coworkers, limited opportunities

Former Employee - Search Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Search Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Razorfish (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great vacation package between PTO, company holidays etc. An excellent place to start off your career with a generally fast paced and energetic agency.

Cons

Promotions, raises or any real recognition of a job well done has become even more difficult to achieve in the last 2 years. Starting pay is significantly lower than industry standard and raises if/when they come in are minimal and extremely slow to go into affect. Vacation time is great when you can take it but it's not uncommon to be expected to work on your 'time off'.
    Razorfish has been struggling in the media practice over the last two years with little to no growth or client diversity. The SEM team is severely under-resourced with management showing little to no interest in reversing the decline.
    Sister agencies under the Publicis brand are expected to partner together whenever possible however when one poaches business from another there are no repercussions as the client stays under the Publicis umbrella. This has caused additional tension/low morale and significant job loss within the Razorfish brand as a result.

10. Don't have much to say, only been with RF for 2 months, and working remotely

I have been working at Razorfish

Pros

friendly people, flexible work environment

Cons

agile process lacks discipline and needs leadership

Great Place To Begin A Career

Former Employee - Client Service Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Client Service Engineer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Razorfish full-time

Pros

Razorfish was a perfect place to start my career. They provided me with many opportunities and allowed me to focus on my areas of interest. The work-life balance was better than anywhere else I've worked. If I had worked beyond a 9 or 10 hour day, I was regularly encouraged by management to leave early the following day.

Cons

Razorfish generally tends to pay a bit lower than other agencies. Since Publicis acquired Razorfish, budgets were pinched really tight which limited raises, promotion opportunities, and benefits.