Razorfish Reviews

Pete Stein

1. Great Company, but hard work

Current Employee - Search Coordinator in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Search Coordinator in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Razorfish full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I absolutely love working for Razorfish: great people, great clients and great benefits. But, it's not for the faint of heart. You will work hard.

Cons

long hours, unclear path to promotion

Advice to Management

Keep pushing upper management for change

2. Company started great, then bad decisions and management ruined it.

Former Employee - Account Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Razorfish

Pros

Work with nice, smart people and laid-back atmosphere for the most part. Work with blue chip clients on campaigns that have large market visibility.

Cons

Was really excited when I started in 2010, but after 3.5 years noticed an unsettling downward trend. Company shed tons of employees and had the audacity to tell them to be excited for the company's future.

Advice to Management

Find something else to do. Priorities are all over the place and things as simple as a new seating arrangement need to be approved by the CFO. Really??

3. Fascinating but flawed,like most things in life.

Former Employee - Media Group in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Media Group in Seattle, WA

I worked at Razorfish

Pros

Interesting work for fascinating clients; good work/life balance; pay is relatively high compared to other comparable agencies; tools are provided to the job correctly; smart , mainly young motivated colleagues.

Cons

Chaotic management , when there is any; massive turnover in management; being part of a foreign holding company with multiple internal factors results in redundant internal competition and waste; client dissatisfaction leads to client losses and resulting layoffs; lack of focus

Advice to Management

Stop the bleeding at the top and actually communicate and lead! Communication and training lacking or non existent.

5. Razorfish was an awesome agency experience!

Former Employee - Senior Project Lead in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Project Lead in Seattle, WA

I worked at Razorfish full-time (more than a year)

Pros

My manager was very interested in my career progress and assigned projects which provided exposure to leadership.

Cons

Agencies are very busy, so work-life balance can be challenging. However, Razorfish was very good about recognizing efforts and rewarding accordingly

Advice to Management

Better training and team-building would have helped to figure out the Razorfish ecosystem (e.g. how payroll questions were handled, who to escalate issues to, and when the treats would be delivered - it was a month before I was told that a large fruit basket was delivered weekly).

Great coworkers, limited opportunities

Former Employee - Search Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Search Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Razorfish (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great vacation package between PTO, company holidays etc. An excellent place to start off your career with a generally fast paced and energetic agency.

Cons

Promotions, raises or any real recognition of a job well done has become even more difficult to achieve in the last 2 years. Starting pay is significantly lower than industry standard and raises if/when they come in are minimal and extremely slow to go into affect. Vacation time is great when you can take it but it's not uncommon to be expected to work on your 'time off'.
    Razorfish has been struggling in the media practice over the last two years with little to no growth or client diversity. The SEM team is severely under-resourced with management showing little to no interest in reversing the decline.
    Sister agencies under the Publicis brand are expected to partner together whenever possible however when one poaches business from another there are no repercussions as the client stays under the Publicis umbrella. This has caused additional tension/low morale and significant job loss within the Razorfish brand as a result.

Great Place To Begin A Career

Former Employee - Client Service Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Client Service Engineer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Razorfish full-time

Pros

Razorfish was a perfect place to start my career. They provided me with many opportunities and allowed me to focus on my areas of interest. The work-life balance was better than anywhere else I've worked. If I had worked beyond a 9 or 10 hour day, I was regularly encouraged by management to leave early the following day.

Cons

Razorfish generally tends to pay a bit lower than other agencies. Since Publicis acquired Razorfish, budgets were pinched really tight which limited raises, promotion opportunities, and benefits.

8. Great place to work, but parent company politics are troubling

Former Employee - Media Technology in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Media Technology in Seattle, WA

I worked at Razorfish full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people are passionate and very client oriented. They don't like to say no to clients, so there is plenty of opportunity to think outside the box to come up with a creative solution to an issue. Problem solvers will thrive in this environment. I don't think I've grown as much professionally as I did at Razorfish.

Cons

- Not much career growth opportunities
    - Publicis overlords don't seem to believe in/understand the media practice
    - Almost too friendly- people don't want to hurt others' feelings

Advice to Management

Management should do a better job at promoting the media practice. The team does stuff that no other agency is able to do. Finding new clients is important, but if you can't even convince the parent company to invest in the practice, how can you ask a client to?

Great Place To Work below manager level- Upper Management is a mess and Publicis is screwing them over

Former Employee - Media in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Media in Seattle, WA

I worked at Razorfish full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people you work with are great and they are supportive in helping you grow if you are below Management level.

Cons

The upper management is a mess and always has been- they have gone through a lot of identity changes and are unsure of how to position themselves. Hopefully this will turn around, but in the meantime they have had to lay off a lot of really great employees because they were not able to get their story straight.

Publicis acquisition has only hurt them. Publicis is allowing them to get eaten up and is giving no support!

Advice to Management

Clean up your story and push back on Publicis!

10. Creative talented teams and fast paced new tech projects

Former Employee - Presentation Layer Developer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Presentation Layer Developer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Razorfish full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Always learning and a great place to grow

Cons

Projects nearly always require more work than time provided and many long hours are put in to compensate.

Advice to Management

work smarter not longer

Great experience, poor work/life balance

Former Employee - Media Planner in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Media Planner in Seattle, WA

I worked at Razorfish full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Really smart people doing innovative things. Management is very good at providing feedback and making you feel valued.

Cons

Slow rate of promotion. Poor work/life balance.

Advice to Management

Recognize the value that your employees are giving and pay them what they deserve, especially given the long hours.