Razorfish Reviews

Reset
3.4
Tom Adamski
1 Rating

Pros
  • Good work-life balance for an agency (in 35 reviews)

• Really smart people doing innovative things (in 43 reviews)

Cons
  • sometimes hard for work & life balance (in 14 reviews)

• Lean teams can mean long hours with the lack of resources (in 22 reviews)

Anonymous Employee Seattle

Former Employee - Anonymous in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Seattle, WA

I worked at Razorfish full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Hands down, one of major pros-- amazing PTO and extra holidays. Plus, the work is strong. Fun and smart people with commitment to delivery. Work on top tier brands, solid for resume. Amazing for networking. Awesome perks....like really good parties.

Cons

Sounds cliche, but opportunity for growth. I've seen talent leave and come back in higher role many times. Consistent layoffs are stressful but I guess that is just agency life. In Seattle, the lower Queen Anne location is a bit challenging to access.

Advice to Management

Anything that can be done to lean out management layers that don't do much heavy lifting is good. Always take associates seriously if looking to explore other opportunities within.

Two or three stars?

Current Employee - Presentation Layer Architect in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Presentation Layer Architect in Seattle, WA

Pros

The only reason Razorfish gets three stars from me is because the immediate coworkers that you have around you are almost always great to work with. I've been here for two years and have worked on a *ton* of accounts. Generally speaking, team synergy is excellent, though process is always lacking, without exception.

Cons

Management at Razorfish is non-existent. Since the Publicis buyout, the Razorfish employee experience has had a hatchet taken to it to save money for some investors pocketbooks, which has absolutely killed the office culture. We lost bonuses, we lost our holiday party (which they tried to pretend it was real by putting some pretzels in a lounge and telling us to go hang out), and our margins are expected to be something like 50 to 60 %. Imagine the stress put on the teams. None the less, the hard working badasses at RF still managed to shoot past our 2015 Q1 target by 7 or so million dollars putting it at 100 million for RF U.S. alone. This is frustrating because off the backs of incredibly hard work, against incredibly hard clients, and over stupidly long hours somebody is getting a serious benefit. But it's not the people actually doing the work. As an architect, time and time again I am frustrated by the fact that they refuse to allow bench time (compare that to healthy companies like Google or Facebook that allow something like 25-30% bench time), and immediately cut any new hires the second a project begins to wind down. Not only does that mean burning bridges (we can't get good developers anymore), but we are hemorrhaging our best talent like somebody just shanked us in the jugular. At Razorfish, the only benefit that I see is "decent" pay (its not even competitive anymore), and great stuff (e.g. huge clients) for your portfolio - and I don't mean "I built a microsite for Ford Motors", but rather, "I architected the entire responsive front-end of [name a huge client]". But if you come on as a contractor, don't think for a second that that 2, 6 or 12 month contract means that you have that much secure work time, because they will get rid of you in a DAY without any prior notice when they see a project is wrapping up, and it makes me sick. We've lost our best talent because of this unhealthy corporate attitude, and they're about to lose even more (me) because of 50+% contractor staff aug and the remaining standing ranks that we have aren't nearly as good as they used to be. Who wants to work time and time again with wild-cards where you are likely to get an amateur when working with industry-leading clients? Not me.

Advice to Management

Stop focusing on the short term. By treating your employees poorly you're driving the company into the ground. It doesn't matter, though, the truth is that this company is being rung out like a wet towel until all the money that could be squeezed from it is gone, and then the carcass of a once-great powerhouse will be tossed to the wolves and RF will be forgotten.

aggressive environment

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Razorfish full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pays well. Benefits are good. Free snacks in community kitchen

Cons

Where to begin. There is very little actual leadership or support. A lot of talent has left or was laid off. People are referred to as resources. There is verbal abuse from leaders that is at times public and embarrassing. People are extremely stressed and wok long hours. While there is some great talent there, it is no better or worse than competitors. Too much dependence on old and outdated systems that are band aided together instead of replaced. There is no on boarding. New employees are left to their own devices to figure out these old, archaic systems.

Advice to Management

Protect your teams wellbeing. The people who produce the work are the company's real asset. Hire more full time people and depend less on contractors. Upgrade your systems. ERP technology from 2006 is not relevant for a modern digital business and should be upgraded substantially.

Company started great, then bad decisions and management ruined it.

Former Employee - Account Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Seattle, WA

Pros

Work with nice, smart people and laid-back atmosphere for the most part. Work with blue chip clients on campaigns that have large market visibility.

Cons

Was really excited when I started in 2010, but after 3.5 years noticed an unsettling downward trend. Company shed tons of employees and had the audacity to tell them to be excited for the company's future.

Advice to Management

Find something else to do. Priorities are all over the place and things as simple as a new seating arrangement need to be approved by the CFO. Really??

Great Company, but hard work

Current Employee - Search Coordinator in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Search Coordinator in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Razorfish full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I absolutely love working for Razorfish: great people, great clients and great benefits. But, it's not for the faint of heart. You will work hard.

Cons

long hours, unclear path to promotion

Advice to Management

Keep pushing upper management for change

Fascinating but flawed,like most things in life.

Former Employee - Media Group in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Media Group in Seattle, WA

Pros

Interesting work for fascinating clients; good work/life balance; pay is relatively high compared to other comparable agencies; tools are provided to the job correctly; smart , mainly young motivated colleagues.

Cons

Chaotic management , when there is any; massive turnover in management; being part of a foreign holding company with multiple internal factors results in redundant internal competition and waste; client dissatisfaction leads to client losses and resulting layoffs; lack of focus

Advice to Management

Stop the bleeding at the top and actually communicate and lead! Communication and training lacking or non existent.

8. Razorfish was an awesome agency experience!

Former Employee - Senior Project Lead in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Project Lead in Seattle, WA

I worked at Razorfish full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My manager was very interested in my career progress and assigned projects which provided exposure to leadership.

Cons

Agencies are very busy, so work-life balance can be challenging. However, Razorfish was very good about recognizing efforts and rewarding accordingly

Advice to Management

Better training and team-building would have helped to figure out the Razorfish ecosystem (e.g. how payroll questions were handled, who to escalate issues to, and when the treats would be delivered - it was a month before I was told that a large fruit basket was delivered weekly).

Great coworkers, limited opportunities

Former Employee - Search Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Search Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Razorfish (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great vacation package between PTO, company holidays etc. An excellent place to start off your career with a generally fast paced and energetic agency.

Cons

Promotions, raises or any real recognition of a job well done has become even more difficult to achieve in the last 2 years. Starting pay is significantly lower than industry standard and raises if/when they come in are minimal and extremely slow to go into affect. Vacation time is great when you can take it but it's not uncommon to be expected to work on your 'time off'. Razorfish has been struggling in the media practice over the last two years with little to no growth or client diversity. The SEM team is severely under-resourced with management showing little to no interest in reversing the decline. Sister agencies under the Publicis brand are expected to partner together whenever possible however when one poaches business from another there are no repercussions as the client stays under the Publicis umbrella. This has caused additional tension/low morale and significant job loss within the Razorfish brand as a result.

Great Place To Begin A Career

Former Employee - Client Service Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Client Service Engineer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Razorfish full-time

Pros

Razorfish was a perfect place to start my career. They provided me with many opportunities and allowed me to focus on my areas of interest. The work-life balance was better than anywhere else I've worked. If I had worked beyond a 9 or 10 hour day, I was regularly encouraged by management to leave early the following day.

Cons

Razorfish generally tends to pay a bit lower than other agencies. Since Publicis acquired Razorfish, budgets were pinched really tight which limited raises, promotion opportunities, and benefits.

11. Great place to work, but parent company politics are troubling

Former Employee - Media Technology in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Media Technology in Seattle, WA

I worked at Razorfish full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people are passionate and very client oriented. They don't like to say no to clients, so there is plenty of opportunity to think outside the box to come up with a creative solution to an issue. Problem solvers will thrive in this environment. I don't think I've grown as much professionally as I did at Razorfish.

Cons

- Not much career growth opportunities - Publicis overlords don't seem to believe in/understand the media practice - Almost too friendly- people don't want to hurt others' feelings

Advice to Management

Management should do a better job at promoting the media practice. The team does stuff that no other agency is able to do. Finding new clients is important, but if you can't even convince the parent company to invest in the practice, how can you ask a client to?

RSS Feed </> Embed