ReachLocal

ReachLocal Reviews in London, England

Updated December 8, 2014
Updated December 8, 2014

Sharon Rowlands

Pros
  • They offer best in class suite of digital products and services and are always preparing for what's next (in 11 reviews)

• Effective leadership team with good incentives and work life balance (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • They aren't going to hand you a book of business and they expect performance from their employees (in 14 reviews)

• Sales people should not be limited to a strict 8 hour policy (in 26 reviews)

More Highlights

9 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good company with great opportunity

Current Employee - Sales in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales in London, England (UK)

I have been working at ReachLocal full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I have been working at Reachlocal for over 3 years. If you are good at what you do and have the natural ability to self educate yourself and are the kind of person that wants to be the best at what you do, then you will be successful at Reachlocal.

The top performers earn a huge amount of money, have the autonomy and respect from their peers and the management.

ReachLocal are a Google Premier Partner and it makes it easier to sell as a result. The product although dated is still one of the best platforms in the market place. For SMEs the product is ideal.

The London office has great culture, new Offices and a young and fun environment.

Cons

- Role is very self developing - If you expect to be "spoon fed" this is the wrong company for you.
    - Product is dated and new releases are taking longer than they should.
    - Training department are still developing and need to play a larger part in consultant growth
    - To be successful here you need to put in the hours - sometimes weekends and holidays are spent working.
    - Product suite is limited
    - Lots of change

- Keep innovating the technology
    - Develop training department

No career or personal growth opportunities. Outdated product for vulnerable SMEs.

Former Employee - Account Manager in London, England (UK)

I worked at ReachLocal full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good exposure to a variety of businesses and industry sectors.

From time to time there are some incentives to make you feel slightly more inclined to continue working. These are usually exclusive to the IMCs (salesmen) however.

Cons

- Sexist, ageist environment and culture.
    - Only the loud, arrogant and egotistical are commended.
    - Management is non-existent with no logical long-term business objectives and goals.
    - Immoral and ruthless "agency".
    - Lack of training and support. The only training provided is extremely basic and mainly in-house, carried out by other clueless employees.

The PPC product is outdated and ineffective. I really feel for the clients who signup. The obscenely high PPC margins and broad match keyword strategy make the product offering totally futile. This mainly becomes apparent if a client has previously run their own Adwords campaigns or had another agency perform the same service.

The IMCs - Internet Marketing Consultant - usually do not have any marketing experience at all. Or know the difference between advertising and marketing. It's alarming that salesmen with little to no experience within digital marketing are positioned as industry experts and put in charge of a large part of online marketing spends for SMEs. If you ask an IMC to explain ReachLocal's "Reverse Proxy Technology" you shall see their eyes glaze over and won't get a coherent answer.

Account Managers are at the end of the food chain and receive zero recognition on their achievements. Again, no support or career prospects there despite the significance of their role.

Avoid at all costs.

The "Boiler Room" is real!!! They are ripping everyone off!!

Former Employee - Senior Internet Marketing Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Senior Internet Marketing Consultant in London, England (UK)

I worked at ReachLocal full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This used to be a great company with a CEO who was a co founder. When he was pushed out the whole company was brought to the ground by Josh Clayman. There is a new CEO now but its far too late to save the damage he had impacted.
    I used to love working here as an Internet Marketing Consultant, it was like running your own company inside a company. As as long as you looked after your clients/accounts and kept bringing on new accounts you could make good money and were left alone my management. This was hard work but rewarding as you would help SME grow their companies.
    Josh took away the IMC role and made you either a Salesman or an Account Manager. He failed to understand what make the IMC role so valuable to the clients ReachLocal already had.

Cons

The person who sells (IMC or Sale Executive) the adwords accounts doesn't set up or run the account.
    Takes too long to get changes done to the account.

ReachLocal doesn't spend all of the clients budget on Adwords, they pocket up to 50% of it and hide it within their platform. eg if the platform says you paid 6 pounds for a click ReachLocal paid 3 pounds.

With limited budget after the ReachLocal margin and Adwords more competitive today that its ever been it is harder to get the results that other agency's can get with a full budget charging a higher management fee.

They use mostly Broad Match keywords to get cheaper clicks but this leads to a lower quality of leads for the clients.
    They do little to the campaign once it is live. They don't try and add new ad groups for keywords that have lower quality scores.

At the end of working here they stopped giving the consultants Search Term Reports. These were great for finding some bad broad matching and adding negative keywords to help CTR and overall performance.

Was told the have "automatic conversion based optimization" but when asked to see automatic bid adjustments was told that we were not able to give that info out. I am unsure to this day if they even have this "automatic conversion based optimization"

They wont let clients pause accounts over Christmas or summer holidays.

I could go on and on!!!!

Get out and get new jobs - share price is crashing!!

Good company but loosing too many clients

Former Employee - Sales Executive in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Executive in London, England (UK)

I worked at ReachLocal full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great earning potential, good culture

Cons

Dated product offering, high churn rate, high staff turn over.

Sold The Dream

Former Employee - Internet Marketing Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Internet Marketing Consultant in London, England (UK)

I worked at ReachLocal full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Excellent recurring incomes when you get the big clients.

Cons

Worrying about your job week to week.
    Great culture disappeared very quickly.

Don't fire people in front of their colleagues

The worst management I have ever experienced - the best thing about this job was leaving it.

Former Employee - Account Manager in London, England (UK)

I worked at ReachLocal full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The opportunity to learn about Google products
    Good technology
    Company tries to create a good culture.

Cons

No opportunities for progression.
    Terrible management - being a good sales person does not make you a good manager, particularly when you are managing non-sales roles as well.
    Non-salespeople are treated as though they do not matter, the company does not care about their career progression and they are frequently belitted, bullied and micromanaged.
    Internal recruitment lie to get people through the door - salary, working hours etc.
    People who have been with the company since it began in the UK act as though they are better than others there and frequently demean and patronise people.
    Unfriendly work environment for new starters - you have to work hard to make acquaintances.
    The difference in basic salary between sales roles and non sales roles is nothing more than a joke - particularly considering how much they make in commission - the company says they have no budget to pay other roles higher salaries.
    Senior management give a lot of gas and air to placate you but will not actually do anything to help you.

US managment should come over and see what is going on in their offices - though it is most likely the same in the States.
    Have you internal recruiters hire people more honestly.
    Show more respect to your non-salespeople who help contribute to the huge sums you and your salespeople pocket.

Very Pleased

Current Employee - Internal Recruitment in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Internal Recruitment in London, England (UK)

I have been working at ReachLocal full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fun positive working culture, with an acceptance of family commitments and an amazing potential to really create your own business.

ReachLocal actually cares about it's clients which is great if you do too, as you are free to consult with clients on all areas of their business rather than just sell one solution. All functions are given the freedom to map out their own career path by finding ways to add value to the business that are mutually beneficial.

Cons

You must be proactive, if you wait for somebody to tell you what to do before actually getting on and doing what you know you should do, you will struggle to succeed, as the environment is very autonomous.

ReachLocal is a career and not just a regular job

Current Employee - Sales Operations Manager, London, United Kingdom in London, England (UK)

I have been working at ReachLocal

Pros

ReachLocal is one of the best things that has happened to me. I have been with the company now for over three years and I have enjoyed every minute of it. I truly believe in our company’s mission and it inspires me to see how caring every individual is towards our employees and clients. The experience and knowledge I have gained over those years is beyond my belief. I have been blessed with being able to work with many wonderful people, who have supported and coached me all the way to where I am now. These people have taught me so much and have given me an opportunity to grow my career in a way I didn’t think I would have the opportunity to. The one thing I appreciate most about the company is the family atmosphere at work, and as a result, ReachLocal has become an extended part of my life; much more than just a day job!

Cons

ReachLocal is a fast expanding company and sometimes it can be very hectic and overwhelming.

Quite simply the best opportunity I have ever had in any career

Current Employee - IMC in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - IMC in London, England (UK)

I have been working at ReachLocal

Pros

A Great place to work
    Fantastic people (developed some lifelong friendships)
    You have the opportunity to change a clients business for the better
    Great support from the management team
    Your rewards are in direct relationship to the hard work you put in
    A life changing opportunity to work with a market leader and a first class offering

The calibre of work colleagues is the highest of any company I have worked for, this forces me to raise my game to levels I never thought possible

Again I have to say -THE PEOPLE, THE PEOPLE, THE PEOPLE - a unique culture where everyone is keen to help I have never had this be so apparent in any company I have ever worked for and I have worked for some BIG UK companies.

Cons

If you don't like hard work then this is not for you - this is a con as people who do not work hard do not last in sales.

People have already mentioned the growth of the company meaning that the support does not always match the levels of staff - this is a teething problem for any rapidly growing company

Each person needs to be managed in an individual way, what works for one does not work for all.