ReachLocal

Updated January 20, 2015
Updated January 20, 2015
3.5

Sharon Rowlands

Pros
  • They offer best in class suite of digital products and services and are always preparing for what's next (in 11 reviews)

• Effective leadership team with good incentives and work life balance (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • They aren't going to hand you a book of business and they expect performance from their employees (in 14 reviews)

• Sales people should not be limited to a strict 8 hour policy (in 26 reviews)

More Highlights

22 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

Room to grow, if you invest yourself and can demonstrate your contributions

Current Employee - Product Manager in Woodland Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Woodland Hills, CA

I have been working at ReachLocal full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunities are available if you can demonstrate that you are qualified, work/life balance is good if you set personal boundaries and don't stay in the office until 9pm every night.

Cons

Pay increases/frequency are not optimized to incentivize performance

If you reward people for performance, they will work harder and grow with the company.

In need of innovation

Former Employee - Product Management in Woodland Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Product Management in Woodland Hills, CA

I worked at ReachLocal full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Benefits are pretty strong overall.

Cons

Heavy in office politics and moves very slowly. Hard to innovate or push for change even though the company has been floundering for years. Tons of employees just collecting a paycheck.

Good company making positive changes!

Current Employee - Director, Product and Technology in Woodland Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Director, Product and Technology in Woodland Hills, CA

I have been working at ReachLocal full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great work-life balance with adequate opportunity for career development. Competitive salaries, Smart people all wanting whats best for the company and its clients.

Cons

Going through growing pains and changes. If you are not ok with change this might not be the place for you.

Keep on the current track! The vision set forth by Sharon makes sense and we believe in it. Be patient and execute.

Respects Their Employees; Treats them as People & Not Numbers

Current Employee - Products in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Products in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at ReachLocal full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Culture! Mgmt believes in the importance of creating an energetic, fun, creative work environment and they are willing to spend money to execute programs that create a positive, supportive atmosphere. They also believe in work-life balance; very understanding about family needs and emergencies, as well as employee health. Supportive of doing volunteer work in our community!
    Respect! Coworkers are respectful of each others' opinions, even when they disagree. Rarely hear arguments or raised voices. Everyone is professional. Hard on issues, easy on people.

Cons

Pay is average; raises are 2-4% usually; too much work with too few people; some put in long hours; sometimes it feels like mgmt takes these dedicated employees for granted and some end up leaving. The more you do, the more work they give you. But this is pretty typical in the current US economy since the economic collapse in 2008. Turnover seems to have increased in the past 12 months for some reason; might be more job opportunities. I wish the company worked harder to keep valuable, talented people.

Increase the percentage of raises. Promote from within. Promote more often. Work harder to retain talented employees. Improve cubicles and furniture/workspace.

A good experience

Former Intern - Software Engineer in Woodland Hills, CA
    Former Intern - Software Engineer in Woodland Hills, CA

I worked at ReachLocal as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

The people are great and my supervisor was an awesome mentor. The hours are flexible, the office is nice, and I was encouraged to learn and develop my skills. They had a clear outline for career advancement in a technical position.

Cons

I could have used some more direction in terms of working on actual deliverables or company projects. The pay was relatively low. Turnover seemed to be pretty high.

I appreciated management's enthusiasm and dedication to their work.

In a unique space, but the company lacked innovation

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woodland Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woodland Hills, CA

I worked at ReachLocal full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good people, ton of responsibility

Cons

not a fun tech culture, mediocre talent, mediocre pay

Good company, high emphasis on sales and performance, only the strong will survive

Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at ReachLocal full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Competitive pay, good bonus program, good leadership

Cons

Trying to compete in a crowded market place, stressful from month to month that you meet your numbers

End of the Product Life Cycle Will Eventually Lead to Centralized Operations

Current Employee - Manager in Woodland Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Woodland Hills, CA

I have been working at ReachLocal full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The PPC platform can be very good, despite internal service levels, and generally returns an appropriate ROI for SMBs. Their is a whole suite of online products to offer, but the efficacy of most products will lead you back to selling PPC.

Cons

The company needs to watch out for shrinking margins, increasing competition due to no barriers to entry, lack of revenue growth in the US/CAN markets, and lack of profitable innovation. Sales operations could and should be virtualized in one central hub; need for local sales is quickly diminishing outside of top 10 markets. The employee needs to watch out for global layoffs, the daily salesforce activity grind; and a stale product offering at a high price. Compensation for employees comes slowly and arduously, so be prepared for a challenging first year of commissions.

For the sake of shareholders, read "Good to Great" again and compare the learnings to your current practices.

Writing software that makes a difference

Current Employee - Lead Software Engineer in Santa Ana, CA
    Current Employee - Lead Software Engineer in Santa Ana, CA

I have been working at ReachLocal full-time (more than a year)

Pros

My start up company's Software Engineering Team was acquired a little over a year ago by ReachLocal. I started as a Senior Software Engineer and was concerned about working for a big company since it seems harder to accomplish tasks with so many different departments. But I was relieved that this was not the case at ReachLocal. New Management and a new Principal Architect were brought on soon after our team that made huge strides to improve ReachLocal's Product & Technology department. They are up to date with the latest technology, help employees to achieve tasks and fully support the Open Source Software mentality.

Currently you can see the Open Source Software we have contributed to or released at our GitHub Organization. This was a huge positive for me because sharing with the community is how we all stay current in the industry.

Career growth is encouraged here if you are willing to work hard and show initiative. In about 7 months with ReachLocal, I have moved up to Lead Software Engineer and I have in turn been encouraged to build up my team to become leaders as well.

We have a number of backend and frontend applications that we develop. So, there is opportunity to work on customer facing applications or work on backend applications that drive some of the customer facing features. Also, we are taking the company in the direction of "Big Data" collection and analysis. I find it very rewarding to work on an product that helps small to medium size businesses run their businesses better. It makes a difference and it is very gratifying to work on cutting edge innovative technology.

Cons

Since the company is shifting from a Marketing Services Company to a Software & Technology Company we are sometimes in situations where processes and decisions have not be defined or decided. Although, many see this as a con, it can also be a pro as it allows employees to make a larger impact and show initiative.

A lot of opportunity to grow

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Woodland Hills, CA
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Woodland Hills, CA

I have been working at ReachLocal as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

-Great group of people to work with who come from various backgrounds
    -Hiring managers are willing to help you grow and work with various other departments to see where you other interests lie
    -Competitive pay
    -Unlimited paid time off

Cons

-Management does not have too much employee engagement
    -Management needs to take more "risks" to spur up work environment and stay competitive in the tech market