ReachLocal

ReachLocal Reviews in Los Angeles, CA

Updated December 9, 2014
Updated December 9, 2014

Sharon Rowlands

Pros
  • They offer best in class suite of digital products and services and are always preparing for what's next (in 11 reviews)

• Effective leadership team with good incentives and work life balance (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • They aren't going to hand you a book of business and they expect performance from their employees (in 14 reviews)

• Sales people should not be limited to a strict 8 hour policy (in 26 reviews)

More Highlights

19 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Respects Their Employees; Treats them as People & Not Numbers

Current Employee - Products in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Products in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at ReachLocal full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Culture! Mgmt believes in the importance of creating an energetic, fun, creative work environment and they are willing to spend money to execute programs that create a positive, supportive atmosphere. They also believe in work-life balance; very understanding about family needs and emergencies, as well as employee health. Supportive of doing volunteer work in our community!
    Respect! Coworkers are respectful of each others' opinions, even when they disagree. Rarely hear arguments or raised voices. Everyone is professional. Hard on issues, easy on people.

Cons

Pay is average; raises are 2-4% usually; too much work with too few people; some put in long hours; sometimes it feels like mgmt takes these dedicated employees for granted and some end up leaving. The more you do, the more work they give you. But this is pretty typical in the current US economy since the economic collapse in 2008. Turnover seems to have increased in the past 12 months for some reason; might be more job opportunities. I wish the company worked harder to keep valuable, talented people.

Increase the percentage of raises. Promote from within. Promote more often. Work harder to retain talented employees. Improve cubicles and furniture/workspace.

A good experience

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Woodland Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Woodland Hills, CA

I worked at ReachLocal as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The people are great and my supervisor was an awesome mentor. The hours are flexible, the office is nice, and I was encouraged to learn and develop my skills. They had a clear outline for career advancement in a technical position.

Cons

I could have used some more direction in terms of working on actual deliverables or company projects. The pay was relatively low. Turnover seemed to be pretty high.

I appreciated management's enthusiasm and dedication to their work.

In a unique space, but the company lacked innovation

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woodland Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woodland Hills, CA

I worked at ReachLocal full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good people, ton of responsibility

Cons

not a fun tech culture, mediocre talent, mediocre pay

Good company, high emphasis on sales and performance, only the strong will survive

Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at ReachLocal full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Competitive pay, good bonus program, good leadership

Cons

Trying to compete in a crowded market place, stressful from month to month that you meet your numbers

End of the Product Life Cycle Will Eventually Lead to Centralized Operations

Current Employee - Manager in Woodland Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Woodland Hills, CA

I have been working at ReachLocal full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The PPC platform can be very good, despite internal service levels, and generally returns an appropriate ROI for SMBs. Their is a whole suite of online products to offer, but the efficacy of most products will lead you back to selling PPC.

Cons

The company needs to watch out for shrinking margins, increasing competition due to no barriers to entry, lack of revenue growth in the US/CAN markets, and lack of profitable innovation. Sales operations could and should be virtualized in one central hub; need for local sales is quickly diminishing outside of top 10 markets. The employee needs to watch out for global layoffs, the daily salesforce activity grind; and a stale product offering at a high price. Compensation for employees comes slowly and arduously, so be prepared for a challenging first year of commissions.

For the sake of shareholders, read "Good to Great" again and compare the learnings to your current practices.

A lot of opportunity to grow

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woodland Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woodland Hills, CA

I have been working at ReachLocal as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

-Great group of people to work with who come from various backgrounds
    -Hiring managers are willing to help you grow and work with various other departments to see where you other interests lie
    -Competitive pay
    -Unlimited paid time off

Cons

-Management does not have too much employee engagement
    -Management needs to take more "risks" to spur up work environment and stay competitive in the tech market

Writing software that makes a difference

Current Employee - Lead Software Engineer in Santa Ana, CA
    Current Employee - Lead Software Engineer in Santa Ana, CA

I have been working at ReachLocal full-time (more than an year)

Pros

My start up company's Software Engineering Team was acquired a little over a year ago by ReachLocal. I started as a Senior Software Engineer and was concerned about working for a big company since it seems harder to accomplish tasks with so many different departments. But I was relieved that this was not the case at ReachLocal. New Management and a new Principal Architect were brought on soon after our team that made huge strides to improve ReachLocal's Product & Technology department. They are up to date with the latest technology, help employees to achieve tasks and fully support the Open Source Software mentality.

Currently you can see the Open Source Software we have contributed to or released at our GitHub Organization. This was a huge positive for me because sharing with the community is how we all stay current in the industry.

Career growth is encouraged here if you are willing to work hard and show initiative. In about 7 months with ReachLocal, I have moved up to Lead Software Engineer and I have in turn been encouraged to build up my team to become leaders as well.

We have a number of backend and frontend applications that we develop. So, there is opportunity to work on customer facing applications or work on backend applications that drive some of the customer facing features. Also, we are taking the company in the direction of "Big Data" collection and analysis. I find it very rewarding to work on an product that helps small to medium size businesses run their businesses better. It makes a difference and it is very gratifying to work on cutting edge innovative technology.

Cons

Since the company is shifting from a Marketing Services Company to a Software & Technology Company we are sometimes in situations where processes and decisions have not be defined or decided. Although, many see this as a con, it can also be a pro as it allows employees to make a larger impact and show initiative.

This place is a mistake

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Woodland Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Woodland Hills, CA

I have been working at ReachLocal full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Woodland Hills is a nice area
    Many of the employees are nice people

Cons

Turnover is exceptionally high; Many new employees leave within 3 to 6 months
    Management lacks technical leadership
    Most of the software development work boring/uninteresting
    Yet, the architecture is a giant mess of legacy systems
    Pay is $30K less than similar positions elsewhere in Los Angeles
    No 401K matching; The possibility of matching has 'been under discussion' since 2010
    Annual salary increases tend to be about 2%
    Most employees received a bonus of about $500 last year (2012)
    Never ask for a raise or promotion, you will be immediately branded as 'greedy and arrogant'

Good intentions but tough environment to succeed

Current Employee - Internet Marketing Consultant in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at ReachLocal full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Optimistic leadership. They are building out talent corporately, now that they are public, and my local management was supportive. Lots of very committed people.

Cons

Churn is the word noted in another review and that captures the essence of the issues with me. In my local office in under a year we lost seven sales people. I was in the middle pack of office seniority in less than a year. My office also struggled with revenue growth so it was hard to see models of success from new or established people.

New sales penetration is difficult in a cluttered market dealing with small value clients on average. Also the other churn--clients--is a tremendous problem whether the services are working right or not. Hard to put in all the effort just to have something not renew.

For a sales person (internet marketing consultant) it is difficult and not lucrative most often even if you survive the first year. There is no real structure for success. Just a hell of a lot of prospecting. If you are a strong sales person in media and advertising or some other segment, there should be other opportunities that should pay off better for the same effort. I believe as the economy improves the company will have a harder time recruiting and keeping a staff that already has an highly unacceptable level of churn.

Last, the market growth is slowing down. If you look at the revenue growth and back out the steady international growth the numbers in North America are not that impressive considering the number of bodies out on the street. A lot of the more recent growth has been sales of additional services to existing clients. True new client sales have slowed dramatically across the markets.

Continue to work toward innovation on the product offerings and continue to build out the brand. ReachLocal is not a readily known company and the more brand equity you can build for entree to prospects and for in-bound inquiry (although that would just be a bonus) the better. Last, build out more support in the local offices. The IMC's are too bogged down in the administration of campaigns and programs.

I have to give average marking and a lower rank on career opportunity. I just do not see a growth pattern for most people, especially since the fast growth, market expansion work is over in North America. The average is based on the good intentions of leadership. If you take it away for an overall opportunity then it is pretty much a two star opportunity. When over 80% of first year people do not make it--much less succeed--then something is wrong.

ReachLocal is the best place to work!

Current Employee - Internet Marketing Consultant in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at ReachLocal full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

ReachLocal is the best place to work because the products and services are a step ahead of the competition. The compensation plan is very competitive which helps us move forward financially in our career. I think the best part of RL is the positive work environment in our offices which creates a feeling of being supported as a sales professional.

Cons

If there was a negative it would have to be the competitive nature of the online marketing industry in general. We as IMC's have to work hard to develop new business and develop relationships with our current clients. RL helps us with many tools and training to be true consultants!

My advice to management would be to listen and inspire each IMC. Each of us have a different selling style which has been successful for us in the past. After all that is why you hired us!