ReachLocal Reviews

• Plano, TX
3.2
ReachLocal CEO Sharon Rowlands
Sharon Rowlands

1. A fun, competitive, high-paced, sales position in the digital marketing vertical.

Former Employee - Inside Sales Executive in Plano, TX

I worked at ReachLocal full-time (less than a year)

Pros

It is a fun work environment, with a great new office. The training is top notch.

Cons

Early hours, high pressure optimistic expectations, too many managers

Worst run company ever!

I worked at ReachLocal

Pros

Learned about the online space

Cons

This was initially a really good company, but I have never worked at a place where the politics is so crushing. Horrible leads, good people were let got and the management that was brought in to improve sales had NEVER sold anything. The company is not going to do well ever! and stop blaming sales! Another problem is that the business model just does not work, do the math!

Less politics, fewer meetings, improve the leads, stop blaming sales! But it's all to late anyway!

A Unstable Roller Coaster that never stops changing dramatically.

Current Employee - Sales Executive III in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Executive III in Plano, TX

I have been working at ReachLocal full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people are the best part. They have the best intentions and try really hard. The technology truly is good and the pay potential is really good. Also the Health benefits and onsite gym are 1st class.

Cons

I dont really know where to start. Management is beyond disconnected from the sales staff. They have virtually no understanding of how to truly motivate a team. Everyone is in constant fear of their job because they are constantly letting go of underperforms which is good. But do not understand what it takes to keep their best performers. Every salesperson has a bad month however it truly is hero to zero every month. They do not consider that you may have been one of the best for the last year if you were not the best last month. This is just my opinion but this is the Titanic with no hope of a true course correction.

I would say the best advice I could give is listen to your senior sales people that understand the environment but you have virtually ran them all off.

5. Changing for the better

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Plano, TX

I have been working at ReachLocal full-time (more than a year)

Pros

ReachLocal has undergone many changes in the past year, and we are on the right path for future growth. The management team is supportive of work-life-balance, and the team I work with is awesome. We work hard but also manage to have fun together. The product strategy for the next year or two is exciting and moving us in the right direction.

We also have a generous time off policy, casual workplace, nice new building, and decent health benefits

Cons

- Our 401K does not include matching, making us less competitive than other software companies
    - People aren't always held accountable for their work, which leads some people to take advantage and leave others holding the bag.

Keep going in the new direction, make sure you remain open in communicating company vision and strategy so employees buy in to the new ReachLocal.

Financially Unstable

Current Employee - Inside Sales Executive in Plano, TX

I have been working at ReachLocal full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great training, newly developed. Good environment, generally not micromanagment except for the manager I had. I don't imagine they will be hiring anytime soon since they just let go the entire training class newest to the company. Commission structure is super good, biggest disappointment of getting laid off.

Cons

They preached skill development rather than micromanagment, however, they didn't train anyone but the training team as to how to develop actual sales skills.

Better skill development of managment.

Sales Executive 2

Former Employee - Inside Sales Executive in Plano, TX

I worked at ReachLocal full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Nice location in Plano.

Cons

The sales floor is Boiler Room. The products like website and SEO are handled by 3 party. Lastly they do not pay commission correctly at all!!!

Try creating a stable work environment and actually going to market with your own products and software!!

8. Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

I have been working at ReachLocal full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

This is a job that I love coming to every day. The people have always been the best aspect. Everyone is very supportive and you always get the chance to learn from one another. Culture is great. We constantly get to have themed days and get to do outreach projects as a group. In terms of working in the online marketing industry, Reach seems to be one of the best places to be. You get to learn so much about all the different aspects, and you get a chance to have your opinion heard. The area the office is great. Finally, management in my department has been amazing. I have had great guidance to help be develop my professional career. They are always willing to help in any way and hear different perspectives.

Cons

A con that I have seen is communication between departments could be better. Also, due to the number of systems an average employee works in it can take longer to train someone. This is often a cause of frustration for new employees has they try to remember where to go for what. Finally, the number of changes that we have gone through in the last few years has been hard at times.

Keep pulling in different departments and leaders on projects to make sure everyone is on the same page with projects as well as communication. Continue to keep the advertiser in mind in everything we do. Have more leaders like Mesha who go above and beyond for the advertiser, company and employees.

Like working on the Titanic

Current Employee - Inside Sales Executive in Plano, TX

I have been working at ReachLocal

Pros

Lots of training and accessible managers most of the time.

Cons

No transparency. Everything is told in half truths. It's a very unstable environment where you have no idea if you're going to get fired the next or not.

Don't lie to your employees. If things aren't great that's fine but get your employees involved and get feedback. Don't be doing all of this cloak and dagger stuff.

10. Leader in Online Marketing

Current Employee - Inside Sales Executive in Plano, TX

I have been working at ReachLocal full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great people and great technology makes ReachLocal one of the leaders in this industry.

Cons

Seem to lack a consistent direction as a company and seems to not know where they want to go. Online advertising is such a crowded industry it makes it hard to get through and differentiate yourself from lesser companies.

Promote the company to the public more.

Over-promising products was the norm... + Incompetent Managers

Former Employee - Digital Marketing Engineer in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Digital Marketing Engineer in Plano, TX

I worked at ReachLocal full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Co-workers were fun and dependable
    Base pay was decent
    Some products nearly sold themselves
    Potential for growth

Cons

Training never quite clicked
    Management was hot and cold (some micro-managed, others never said a word)
    Bonuses were promised, but never delivered
    Sales people were shrewd and would say anything to make the sale
    Under-staffed, over-worked

Hire some good consultants to clean house