ReachLocal Reviews

Reset
3.1
ReachLocal CEO Sharon Rowlands
Sharon Rowlands

Pros
  • They offer best in class suite of digital products and services and are always preparing for what's next (in 11 reviews)

• Extremely flexible with schedule and work/life balance (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Trying to get a book of business built up can be hard, and if you don't build one quickly then you are subject to being let go (in 14 reviews)

• Strict rules about office time- forces every employee to be in the office 8 hours per day- even OUTSIDE sales people (in 26 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

I have been working at ReachLocal full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This is a job that I love coming to every day. The people have always been the best aspect. Everyone is very supportive and you always get the chance to learn from one another. Culture is great. We constantly get to have themed days and get to do outreach projects as a group. In terms of working in the online marketing industry, Reach seems to be one of the best places to be. You get to learn so much about all the different aspects, and you get a chance to have your opinion heard. The area the office is great. Finally, management in my department has been amazing. I have had great guidance to help be develop my professional career. They are always willing to help in any way and hear different perspectives.

Cons

A con that I have seen is communication between departments could be better. Also, due to the number of systems an average employee works in it can take longer to train someone. This is often a cause of frustration for new employees has they try to remember where to go for what. Finally, the number of changes that we have gone through in the last few years has been hard at times.

Advice to Management

Keep pulling in different departments and leaders on projects to make sure everyone is on the same page with projects as well as communication. Continue to keep the advertiser in mind in everything we do. Have more leaders like Mesha who go above and beyond for the advertiser, company and employees.

Sales Executive

Current Employee - Sales Executive in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in Plano, TX

I have been working at ReachLocal

Pros

This is a the second time I have worked for this company and so far, I have to say it has been night and day compared to the first time here. My sales manager is very knowledgeable and supportive and I definitely believe he wants me to succeed. As for the training staff during "boot camp," I found it very informative and easy to follow. Alex, Katy and Andrea are fantastic trainers and since Katy and Andrea were in sales roles before and know what it takes to be successful, their helpful tips were extremely valuable. This has been a wonderful experience so far and I believe it will only get better from here.

Cons

I think management should have new employees start a full 5 days before boot camp in order to complete all of the foundation work (certifications,etc) needed. I started 2 days before boot camp so I was only able to get a few things accomplished before boot camp.

Advice to Management

I think all new employees should start at least 5 days before boot camp.

3. Best Company!

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Plano, TX

I have been working at ReachLocal (More than 3 years)

Pros

Culture, Work/Life Balance, No micro management.

Cons

Process and management. There are not a lot of cons. This is a great company.

Advice to Management

Work on listening to your team.

5. Strength and growth come only through continuous effort and struggle.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

I have been working at ReachLocal full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome culture unlike any other employer I have ever worked for. I love being surrounded by energetic, like-minded individuals who are not afraid to put in the work it takes to bring success. Work/life balance, low cost benefits, excellent perk of having unlimited use of free gym onsite. Digital is the perfect industry to be a part of. ReachLocal is making continuous effort to better the product and the leaders being put in place are finally the right ones to bring the change.

Cons

It's no secret that ReachLocal has had its share of struggles. What company who is successful hasn't? The truth is, if you are not willing to put in the work - this is not the right place for you. But if you have a passion for what you do, this job feels less like a job and more like something you are meant to do.

Advice to Management

Communicate the mission. Be forth coming with the growing pains. Be clear about the road to come. Continue to do this for the employees that bleed orange and keep doing what you're doing. Success comes after the hardship.

Not a consultant sales rep position

Former Employee - Accountant Executive in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Accountant Executive in Plano, TX

I worked at ReachLocal full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good training...very detailed training to help you get a much better understanding of online products and clients digit products and marketing strategies.

Cons

If you are looking for a sales career that allows you to be a consultant and that allows you time to build a book of business..then this isn't it. You have a few months to hit your numbers and after that you will be terminated unless you quit on your own. Co-workers that at one point seem to be like they are team players but they have passive aggressive behaviors towards newbies and put down as you are trying to gain your momentum and hit their numbers. Not very encouraging at all as newbies are trying to find their way. Not all managers but some managers demotivated instead of motivating you. Instead even the most senior and experienced sales reps may not succeed because of the environment and they way co-workers and managers are treating them. Many will complain in silence...not sure if superstar sales reps are aware of their behavior and think they behave that way because they really don't wish others to succeed because only leads go to top producers and they make a lot more money than other reps....why would they want someone to cut into that. But not a good environment to develop other top producers because the put downs don't work for all behavior types and it affects those personality types ability to perform well.

Advice to Management

Be encouraging and don't think negative words even in good fun is funny and don't embarrass reps in front of others reps and don't allow others to do so either. Be encouraging to all and don't call anyone a loser or whatever. Don't humiliate it doesn't motivate.

Be cautious

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

I worked at ReachLocal full-time

Pros

Great work life balance, co-workers are fun

Cons

Be very careful if you are going to take up employment with this company in a non-profit generating position. They do not value you if you are bringing in money directly. If you take a job on the back end or in any kind of customer facing/customer service role they will not appreciate you. You will not be part of the same contests, you will not have the opportunity to earn as much in bonuses and they will burn you out with the amount of work they will expect from you while you watch sales people play basketball/golf/ping-pong. I found ReachLcoal to not be the most professional of environments. Management was VERY indecisive. I felt lied to on a regular basis and was never sure what information I could trust or whom I could trust. Also, all those new reviews from the UK do not speak for the US. The US market for ReachLocal does NOT look promising. While RL may be doing well outside the States, I would be very cautious when thinking about working for RL in the US. They have laid off hundreds of people ( employees voluntarily are leaving in waves as well) and closed a handful of locations across the US just this year and it's not likely to turn around anytime soon. I would expect more lay-offs each month or each quarter through the year.

Advice to Management

Tell the truth, look out for the little guy and value everyone equally.

Ok environment but cutthroat

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

I have been working at ReachLocal full-time

Pros

Definitely understand the company is going through a change to try to get back up and running as it was before- but in my opinion that change has steered to the wrong direction.

Cons

Many layoffs constantly, Management is totally out of touch and non-motivating as leaders that they should be. Break-in's to the company are common- a all for themselves type of place.

9. A fun, competitive, high-paced, sales position in the digital marketing vertical.

Former Employee - Inside Sales Executive in Plano, TX

I worked at ReachLocal full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It is a fun work environment, with a great new office. The training is top notch.

Cons

Early hours, high pressure optimistic expectations, too many managers

Worst run company ever!

I worked at ReachLocal

Pros

Learned about the online space

Cons

This was initially a really good company, but I have never worked at a place where the politics is so crushing. Horrible leads, good people were let got and the management that was brought in to improve sales had NEVER sold anything. The company is not going to do well ever! and stop blaming sales! Another problem is that the business model just does not work, do the math!

Advice to Management

Less politics, fewer meetings, improve the leads, stop blaming sales! But it's all to late anyway!

A Unstable Roller Coaster that never stops changing dramatically.

Current Employee - Sales Executive III in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Executive III in Plano, TX

I have been working at ReachLocal full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people are the best part. They have the best intentions and try really hard. The technology truly is good and the pay potential is really good. Also the Health benefits and onsite gym are 1st class.

Cons

I dont really know where to start. Management is beyond disconnected from the sales staff. They have virtually no understanding of how to truly motivate a team. Everyone is in constant fear of their job because they are constantly letting go of underperforms which is good. But do not understand what it takes to keep their best performers. Every salesperson has a bad month however it truly is hero to zero every month. They do not consider that you may have been one of the best for the last year if you were not the best last month. This is just my opinion but this is the Titanic with no hope of a true course correction.

Advice to Management

I would say the best advice I could give is listen to your senior sales people that understand the environment but you have virtually ran them all off.

RSS Feed </> Embed