ReachLocal

ReachLocal Reviews

Updated January 28, 2015
Updated January 28, 2015

Sharon Rowlands

Pros
  • They offer best in class suite of digital products and services and are always preparing for what's next (in 11 reviews)

• Effective leadership team with good incentives and work life balance (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • They aren't going to hand you a book of business and they expect performance from their employees (in 14 reviews)

• Sales people should not be limited to a strict 8 hour policy (in 26 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

I have been working at ReachLocal full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

This is a job that I love coming to every day. The people have always been the best aspect. Everyone is very supportive and you always get the chance to learn from one another. Culture is great. We constantly get to have themed days and get to do outreach projects as a group. In terms of working in the online marketing industry, Reach seems to be one of the best places to be. You get to learn so much about all the different aspects, and you get a chance to have your opinion heard. The area the office is great. Finally, management in my department has been amazing. I have had great guidance to help be develop my professional career. They are always willing to help in any way and hear different perspectives.

Cons

A con that I have seen is communication between departments could be better. Also, due to the number of systems an average employee works in it can take longer to train someone. This is often a cause of frustration for new employees has they try to remember where to go for what. Finally, the number of changes that we have gone through in the last few years has been hard at times.

Keep pulling in different departments and leaders on projects to make sure everyone is on the same page with projects as well as communication. Continue to keep the advertiser in mind in everything we do. Have more leaders like Mesha who go above and beyond for the advertiser, company and employees.

Room to grow, if you invest yourself and can demonstrate your contributions

Current Employee - Product Manager in Woodland Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Woodland Hills, CA

I have been working at ReachLocal full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunities are available if you can demonstrate that you are qualified, work/life balance is good if you set personal boundaries and don't stay in the office until 9pm every night.

Cons

Pay increases/frequency are not optimized to incentivize performance

If you reward people for performance, they will work harder and grow with the company.

A lot of re-orginization after I was hired. Quotas changed monthly and unrealistic.

Current Employee - Sales Executive in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in San Jose, CA

I have been working at ReachLocal full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The people in the office were great! Lots of support!

Cons

The constant reorganization was challenging.

Train your team for a year before you give the sales execs a quota.

In need of innovation

Former Employee - Product Management in Woodland Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Product Management in Woodland Hills, CA

I worked at ReachLocal full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Benefits are pretty strong overall.

Cons

Heavy in office politics and moves very slowly. Hard to innovate or push for change even though the company has been floundering for years. Tons of employees just collecting a paycheck.

Good products/services but don't expect warm fuzzier

I have been working at ReachLocal

Pros

Learn about the digital industry

Cons

You're just a number to ReachLocal

Learn more about the traditional advertising world. Treat your employees like people and not like a vessel for your own growth.

Good company making positive changes!

Current Employee - Director, Product and Technology in Woodland Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Director, Product and Technology in Woodland Hills, CA

I have been working at ReachLocal full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great work-life balance with adequate opportunity for career development. Competitive salaries, Smart people all wanting whats best for the company and its clients.

Cons

Going through growing pains and changes. If you are not ok with change this might not be the place for you.

Keep on the current track! The vision set forth by Sharon makes sense and we believe in it. Be patient and execute.

Like working on the Titanic

I have been working at ReachLocal

Pros

Lots of training and accessible managers most of the time.

Cons

No transparency. Everything is told in half truths. It's a very unstable environment where you have no idea if you're going to get fired the next or not.

Don't lie to your employees. If things aren't great that's fine but get your employees involved and get feedback. Don't be doing all of this cloak and dagger stuff.

Respects Their Employees; Treats them as People & Not Numbers

Current Employee - Products in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Products in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at ReachLocal full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Culture! Mgmt believes in the importance of creating an energetic, fun, creative work environment and they are willing to spend money to execute programs that create a positive, supportive atmosphere. They also believe in work-life balance; very understanding about family needs and emergencies, as well as employee health. Supportive of doing volunteer work in our community!
    Respect! Coworkers are respectful of each others' opinions, even when they disagree. Rarely hear arguments or raised voices. Everyone is professional. Hard on issues, easy on people.

Cons

Pay is average; raises are 2-4% usually; too much work with too few people; some put in long hours; sometimes it feels like mgmt takes these dedicated employees for granted and some end up leaving. The more you do, the more work they give you. But this is pretty typical in the current US economy since the economic collapse in 2008. Turnover seems to have increased in the past 12 months for some reason; might be more job opportunities. I wish the company worked harder to keep valuable, talented people.

Increase the percentage of raises. Promote from within. Promote more often. Work harder to retain talented employees. Improve cubicles and furniture/workspace.

Leader in Online Marketing

Current Employee - Inside Sales Executive in Plano, TX

I have been working at ReachLocal full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great people and great technology makes ReachLocal one of the leaders in this industry.

Cons

Seem to lack a consistent direction as a company and seems to not know where they want to go. Online advertising is such a crowded industry it makes it hard to get through and differentiate yourself from lesser companies.

Promote the company to the public more.

ReachLocal - Sales Support

Former Employee - Sales Support Analyst in Shreveport, LA
    Former Employee - Sales Support Analyst in Shreveport, LA

I worked at ReachLocal full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fun work environment, Casual Dress, Smart coworkers. Great career starting point, just out of college. Opportunity for advancement/ promotions from within. Learn online marketing and gain real business skills. Stock Incentives/ Profit sharing. Benefits, Only 40 hours per week, Management / Team Leaders.are cool and there to help.

Cons

Difficult to receive pay raise. Primarily sales oriented company.

Choose Ethics over Popularity! Pay attention to the concerns of new/entry level employees and ensure friendly and productive work environment. Witnessed coworker routinely disrespected in a discrete fashion, through a subtle mobbing type of harassment.