ReachLocal Reviews

417 reviews filtered by
3.1
ReachLocal CEO Sharon Rowlands
Sharon Rowlands

Pros
  • They offer best in class suite of digital products and services and are always preparing for what's next (in 11 reviews)

• Effective leadership team with good incentives and work life balance (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • They aren't going to hand you a book of business and they expect performance from their employees (in 14 reviews)

• Sales people should not be limited to a strict 8 hour policy (in 26 reviews)

1. A fun, competitive, high-paced, sales position in the digital marketing vertical.

Former Employee - Inside Sales Executive in Plano, TX

I worked at ReachLocal full-time (less than a year)

Pros

It is a fun work environment, with a great new office. The training is top notch.

Cons

Early hours, high pressure optimistic expectations, too many managers

2. Good work/life balance

I have been working at ReachLocal full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good work / life balance
    Great down to earth people with families
    Allows people to do their best

Cons

Need more product innovation (80% focus on 80% of product revenue)
    Allow intergroup rotation to increase knowledge / career opportunities

More product innovation

Very high expectations, very low pay

I have been working at ReachLocal full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly and lively co-workers
    Flexible work schdeule

Cons

Very low pay
    Little incentive financially to go above and beyond
    Constant turnover and restructuring

Give more incentives and a more optimistic outlook for the company in order to keep more employees and keep them happy and working hard.

5. I have been representing ReachLocal since 2003 and never regretted the decision to join the company directly in 2010.

Current Employee - IMC | CRC | AE III | DMC in New York, NY
    Current Employee - IMC | CRC | AE III | DMC in New York, NY

I have been working at ReachLocal full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I always have conducted my business as a business development specialist and the tools that ReachLocal provides me with, are the cutting edge of digital marketing. If my clients would feel they don't get what they expected from my activities - they most likely would not retain my services year in and year out. I love the fact that I am the face of the company to them -- and it is only when they are satisfied - that I am as well. If someone looking for a "job" from 9-5 and don't really care what happens any other time -- then they should not join RL - they may be a better fit at the USPS or UPS.

Cons

Certainly there is always room for improvement and my experience in the past 2 years especially, has shown that the company keeps striving for improvements. They admitted errors they made in restructuring and have always taken steps to make things better,..
    In essence - if you want to blame Adobe for failing to be a graphic designer - then one should have been honest from the get-go and not pretend to be one. The same applies here -- if you failed at ReachLocal you most likely will fail in any entrepreneurial function at any other company as well. Look at the ones who are successful - and then you will see the difference. The "con" here is - that you are free to conduct your business as you feel fit -- and if that's M-F from 9-5 -- you will fail.

Keep doing what you are doing and continue to seek the input and advice from the core consultants - that have a proven track record - to ensure the company is heading in the right direction.

Wasn't committed to technology

I worked at ReachLocal full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Culture is decent. Lots of like minded professionals

Cons

When I worked there in 2009-2013, they did not have a committment for innovation with Google Adwords and reporting

If you want your life ruined come work here

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive III in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Senior Account Executive III in Denver, CO

I worked at ReachLocal

Pros

The only Pro is the past. When the founders like Nathan Hanks was running the company it was awesome.

Cons

they have a serious 1 year non compete and they will come after you even if they push you out of the company. They took all my accounts away after I used my blood sweat and tears to build my own business. I was a 2 time Graduates Club winner and IMC of the month, sometimes the top 2 or 3 in all of North America and they just took it away. The people they gave my accounts too lost all the accounts except a few and I had to wait 1 year to even get a job in this industry again. They pretty much ruined my life.

NONE sell the company you clearly cannot do this successful. With the founders gone you have ruined the reputation of this company. Your best option now is to get out why you still have revenue. Changing your model again really?

A Unstable Roller Coaster that never stops changing dramatically.

Current Employee - Sales Executive III in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Executive III in Plano, TX

I have been working at ReachLocal full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people are the best part. They have the best intentions and try really hard. The technology truly is good and the pay potential is really good. Also the Health benefits and onsite gym are 1st class.

Cons

I dont really know where to start. Management is beyond disconnected from the sales staff. They have virtually no understanding of how to truly motivate a team. Everyone is in constant fear of their job because they are constantly letting go of underperforms which is good. But do not understand what it takes to keep their best performers. Every salesperson has a bad month however it truly is hero to zero every month. They do not consider that you may have been one of the best for the last year if you were not the best last month. This is just my opinion but this is the Titanic with no hope of a true course correction.

I would say the best advice I could give is listen to your senior sales people that understand the environment but you have virtually ran them all off.

Worst run company ever!

I worked at ReachLocal

Pros

Learned about the online space

Cons

This was initially a really good company, but I have never worked at a place where the politics is so crushing. Horrible leads, good people were let got and the management that was brought in to improve sales had NEVER sold anything. The company is not going to do well ever! and stop blaming sales! Another problem is that the business model just does not work, do the math!

Less politics, fewer meetings, improve the leads, stop blaming sales! But it's all to late anyway!

10. Changing for the better

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Plano, TX

I have been working at ReachLocal full-time (more than a year)

Pros

ReachLocal has undergone many changes in the past year, and we are on the right path for future growth. The management team is supportive of work-life-balance, and the team I work with is awesome. We work hard but also manage to have fun together. The product strategy for the next year or two is exciting and moving us in the right direction.

We also have a generous time off policy, casual workplace, nice new building, and decent health benefits

Cons

- Our 401K does not include matching, making us less competitive than other software companies
    - People aren't always held accountable for their work, which leads some people to take advantage and leave others holding the bag.

Keep going in the new direction, make sure you remain open in communicating company vision and strategy so employees buy in to the new ReachLocal.

It has definitely been a Rollercoaster.

Current Employee - Sales Executive in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in Dallas, TX

I have been working at ReachLocal full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I like the people I work with. The benefits are awesome.

Cons

They did go through a phase and hired way too many people. They should have screened better because the majority were quite lazy and have since left negative reviews. Unfortunately...in sales you are required to sell and to sell you have to make phone calls. Lots of people these days don't have a work ethic and thus....get fired. I like my job and enjoy going to work every day. I am looking forward to the restructure and hope they get it together.

Quit hunting and start farming....lots of great talent has walked out the door. Lots of garbage too.