ReachLocal Reviews

Reset
3.3
ReachLocal CEO Sharon Rowlands
Sharon Rowlands

Pros
  • They offer best in class suite of digital products and services and are always preparing for what's next (in 11 reviews)

• Extremely flexible with schedule and work/life balance (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Trying to get a book of business built up can be hard, and if you don't build one quickly then you are subject to being let go (in 14 reviews)

• Strict rules about office time- forces every employee to be in the office 8 hours per day- even OUTSIDE sales people (in 26 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

I have been working at ReachLocal full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This is a job that I love coming to every day. The people have always been the best aspect. Everyone is very supportive and you always get the chance to learn from one another. Culture is great. We constantly get to have themed days and get to do outreach projects as a group. In terms of working in the online marketing industry, Reach seems to be one of the best places to be. You get to learn so much about all the different aspects, and you get a chance to have your opinion heard. The area the office is great. Finally, management in my department has been amazing. I have had great guidance to help be develop my professional career. They are always willing to help in any way and hear different perspectives.

Cons

A con that I have seen is communication between departments could be better. Also, due to the number of systems an average employee works in it can take longer to train someone. This is often a cause of frustration for new employees has they try to remember where to go for what. Finally, the number of changes that we have gone through in the last few years has been hard at times.

Advice to Management

Keep pulling in different departments and leaders on projects to make sure everyone is on the same page with projects as well as communication. Continue to keep the advertiser in mind in everything we do. Have more leaders like Mesha who go above and beyond for the advertiser, company and employees.

Sales Executive

Current Employee - Sales Executive in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in Plano, TX

I have been working at ReachLocal

Pros

This is a the second time I have worked for this company and so far, I have to say it has been night and day compared to the first time here. My sales manager is very knowledgeable and supportive and I definitely believe he wants me to succeed. As for the training staff during "boot camp," I found it very informative and easy to follow. Alex, Katy and Andrea are fantastic trainers and since Katy and Andrea were in sales roles before and know what it takes to be successful, their helpful tips were extremely valuable. This has been a wonderful experience so far and I believe it will only get better from here.

Cons

I think management should have new employees start a full 5 days before boot camp in order to complete all of the foundation work (certifications,etc) needed. I started 2 days before boot camp so I was only able to get a few things accomplished before boot camp.

Advice to Management

I think all new employees should start at least 5 days before boot camp.

3. Overall Review

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Woodland, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Woodland, CA

I have been working at ReachLocal

Pros

Great Team, Competitive Payroll, Environment to grow

Cons

No good channel of communication between projects

5. ReachLocal is a great employer

I have been working at ReachLocal full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1 Company culture- very employer friendly & flexible
    2 New Corporate office- beautiful new office
    3 Great leadership
    4 Industry leader and reputation
    5 Incredible employee benefits
    6 Reinvests in company and technology
    7 No pressure sales model
    8 Great mission and values

Cons

1 Transitional period/employee cuts
    2 Pay
    3 Communication

6. Best Company!

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Plano, TX

I have been working at ReachLocal (More than 3 years)

Pros

Culture, Work/Life Balance, No micro management.

Cons

Process and management. There are not a lot of cons. This is a great company.

Advice to Management

Work on listening to your team.

7. The place to be!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woodland Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woodland Hills, CA

I have been working at ReachLocal full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

ReachLocal is great! I left a Company that I had been with for many years to join the team and I'm very happy with my decision. Below are some of the reasons why..

- Positive, happy, smart, and talented people to work with to help make a difference in a fast-pace and dynamic work environment
    - Work-life balance
    - Fair Market value compensation for your experience and skill set and maybe other incentives along the way depending on your position
    - Good benefits package
    - Very supportive management team that will appreciated YOU
    - Nice work location
    - Opportunity for professional growth with in the organization

Cons

None, other than - no 401K match.

8. Good Experience in Outside Sales

I worked at ReachLocal full-time

Pros

ReachLocal gave a good week long boot camp in Dallas to train new consultants. There were a mix of different types of people. The training was actually pretty good because there was a lot of role playing.

Cons

There was a lot of high pressure selling. Yes, this is a sales company but retaining customers didn't seem to be a priority so churn was an issue.

Advice to Management

Most managers were great to work with but some were typical arrogant Glen Gary Glen Ross guys. The managers who actually cared about their consultants had the best following.

Unstable!

Former Employee - Account Manager
    Former Employee - Account Manager

I worked at ReachLocal

Pros

Learned a ton, met some great friends!

Cons

No communication, no direction, no positive feedback, poor management.

10. Get a Grip

Former Employee - Local Sales in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Local Sales in Dallas, TX

I worked at ReachLocal

Pros

Great technology for local businesses that can work exceptionally well - when correct expectations are set, budgets are realistic and when campaigns are set up with forethought.

Cons

Over the last 2 years, there has been too much management turn over and this has created a high pressure work environment moving towards full blown micro-management.

Advice to Management

Stop changing the structure of the sales & support organizations and institute some realistic, competitive and stable compensation packages to keep your people motivated.

Worst company ever

Current Employee - IMC in New York, NY
    Current Employee - IMC in New York, NY

I have been working at ReachLocal full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You get a salary and decent health insurance but don't expect much more

Cons

Lack of direction, downward stock trend, very low employee morale, lack of career growth, horrible market reputation, very low pay compared to other competitors, no regard for employees, no leadership as the majority of the RSM's and Directors are clueless and all they are good for is to intimidate the staff and "force them to cold call", cold calling is still the way they do business! People wake up....Unless you are starving and need a paycheck badly do not come to this company. Do yourself a favor and not only read the reviews (beware because the positive ones are placed by the company) but also reach out to ex-employees on social media and ask them about RL. Numbers do not lie...look at the stock value and also the extremely high employee and client churn.

Advice to Management

It is too late to turn this around and the market knows it. It will take much more than having an "army" of people writing positive reviews which lack any substance. It is hard to create greatness when your employees and clients churn so much.

RSS Feed </> Embed