ReachLocal

Updated February 25, 2015
Updated February 25, 2015
3.1

Sharon Rowlands

Pros
  • They offer best in class suite of digital products and services and are always preparing for what's next (in 11 reviews)

• Effective leadership team with good incentives and work life balance (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • They aren't going to hand you a book of business and they expect performance from their employees (in 14 reviews)

• Sales people should not be limited to a strict 8 hour policy (in 26 reviews)

More Highlights

I have been representing ReachLocal since 2003 and never regretted the decision to join the company directly in 2010.

Current Employee - IMC | CRC | AE III | DMC in New York, NY
    Current Employee - IMC | CRC | AE III | DMC in New York, NY

I have been working at ReachLocal full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I always have conducted my business as a business development specialist and the tools that ReachLocal provides me with, are the cutting edge of digital marketing. If my clients would feel they don't get what they expected from my activities - they most likely would not retain my services year in and year out. I love the fact that I am the face of the company to them -- and it is only when they are satisfied - that I am as well. If someone looking for a "job" from 9-5 and don't really care what happens any other time -- then they should not join RL - they may be a better fit at the USPS or UPS.

Cons

Certainly there is always room for improvement and my experience in the past 2 years especially, has shown that the company keeps striving for improvements. They admitted errors they made in restructuring and have always taken steps to make things better,..
    In essence - if you want to blame Adobe for failing to be a graphic designer - then one should have been honest from the get-go and not pretend to be one. The same applies here -- if you failed at ReachLocal you most likely will fail in any entrepreneurial function at any other company as well. Look at the ones who are successful - and then you will see the difference. The "con" here is - that you are free to conduct your business as you feel fit -- and if that's M-F from 9-5 -- you will fail.

Keep doing what you are doing and continue to seek the input and advice from the core consultants - that have a proven track record - to ensure the company is heading in the right direction.

Changing for the better

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Plano, TX

I have been working at ReachLocal full-time (more than a year)

Pros

ReachLocal has undergone many changes in the past year, and we are on the right path for future growth. The management team is supportive of work-life-balance, and the team I work with is awesome. We work hard but also manage to have fun together. The product strategy for the next year or two is exciting and moving us in the right direction.

We also have a generous time off policy, casual workplace, nice new building, and decent health benefits

Cons

- Our 401K does not include matching, making us less competitive than other software companies
    - People aren't always held accountable for their work, which leads some people to take advantage and leave others holding the bag.

Keep going in the new direction, make sure you remain open in communicating company vision and strategy so employees buy in to the new ReachLocal.

A Unstable Roller Coaster that never stops changing dramatically.

Current Employee - Sales Executive III in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Executive III in Plano, TX

I have been working at ReachLocal full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people are the best part. They have the best intentions and try really hard. The technology truly is good and the pay potential is really good. Also the Health benefits and onsite gym are 1st class.

Cons

I dont really know where to start. Management is beyond disconnected from the sales staff. They have virtually no understanding of how to truly motivate a team. Everyone is in constant fear of their job because they are constantly letting go of underperforms which is good. But do not understand what it takes to keep their best performers. Every salesperson has a bad month however it truly is hero to zero every month. They do not consider that you may have been one of the best for the last year if you were not the best last month. This is just my opinion but this is the Titanic with no hope of a true course correction.

I would say the best advice I could give is listen to your senior sales people that understand the environment but you have virtually ran them all off.

Financially Unstable

Current Employee - Inside Sales Executive in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Executive in Plano, TX

I have been working at ReachLocal full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great training, newly developed. Good environment, generally not micromanagment except for the manager I had. I don't imagine they will be hiring anytime soon since they just let go the entire training class newest to the company. Commission structure is super good, biggest disappointment of getting laid off.

Cons

They preached skill development rather than micromanagment, however, they didn't train anyone but the training team as to how to develop actual sales skills.

Better skill development of managment.

It has definitely been a Rollercoaster.

Current Employee - Sales Executive in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in Dallas, TX

I have been working at ReachLocal full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I like the people I work with. The benefits are awesome.

Cons

They did go through a phase and hired way too many people. They should have screened better because the majority were quite lazy and have since left negative reviews. Unfortunately...in sales you are required to sell and to sell you have to make phone calls. Lots of people these days don't have a work ethic and thus....get fired. I like my job and enjoy going to work every day. I am looking forward to the restructure and hope they get it together.

Quit hunting and start farming....lots of great talent has walked out the door. Lots of garbage too.

Stay away from this company and take the positive reviews with a grain of salt!

Current Employee - IMC in New York, NY
    Current Employee - IMC in New York, NY

I have been working at ReachLocal

Pros

1. Reachlocal is a master at making employees write positive reviews which are completely false.
    2. They hire anything with a pulse so getting a job here is easy
    3. You get health insurance and a paycheck (although the compensation here is terrible compared to other companies, it is better than unemployment and you can get paid while looking for a real job).

Cons

1. High level of churning both of employees and customers
    2. Big cover-up, company will do whatever it takes to not acknowledge that the technology is outdated, that they are overcharging customers for mediocre and buggy products
    3. They push sales teams to sell products that are not ready and overstate their performance. However, the company does not stand behind its products and will do whatever it takes not to refund customers for campaigns that do not perform or solutions that should have never been sold in the first place.
    4. The #1, #2, #3...... focus of this company is to sell, sell and sell without any regard for what is right for the customer. They offer full training sessions on how to overcome objectives to convince the ignorant that they need Reachlocal to succeed instead of taking a customer-centric approach. Extremely low retention rates and very negative client sentiment for the company are evidence of this toxic mentality.

Do not let anyone fool you by saying how great things are, they are not....great companies are about a culture of success and offering products that work and keeping the client's well being as a North Star. None of these are present here......if things are so great then is it a coincidence that there are so many negative reviews? Some people suggest that these are posted by Lazy or bad employees.....this is absurd, I think that once you work here and see how dysfunctional and toxic this company is for employees and their future careers we feel obliged to warn others.

This company is like a house which foundation has termites and slogan and positive reviews will not change that. You need major change from the ground up and start asking those directors and managers who have high levels of employee churn to be accountable. It is easy to blame the IMC's but isn't the job of the manager to manage and empower the team to succeed? Stop lying and start building on top of a new foundation of truth and make your customers your number one priority. That means from a product and user experience perspective, currently the clients are $$$$$ targets to go after...... Unfortunately, there are so many Area Directors who have been masterful at playing politics and never made accountable for employee retention, team morale, etc.

Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

I have been working at ReachLocal full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

This is a job that I love coming to every day. The people have always been the best aspect. Everyone is very supportive and you always get the chance to learn from one another. Culture is great. We constantly get to have themed days and get to do outreach projects as a group. In terms of working in the online marketing industry, Reach seems to be one of the best places to be. You get to learn so much about all the different aspects, and you get a chance to have your opinion heard. The area the office is great. Finally, management in my department has been amazing. I have had great guidance to help be develop my professional career. They are always willing to help in any way and hear different perspectives.

Cons

A con that I have seen is communication between departments could be better. Also, due to the number of systems an average employee works in it can take longer to train someone. This is often a cause of frustration for new employees has they try to remember where to go for what. Finally, the number of changes that we have gone through in the last few years has been hard at times.

Keep pulling in different departments and leaders on projects to make sure everyone is on the same page with projects as well as communication. Continue to keep the advertiser in mind in everything we do. Have more leaders like Mesha who go above and beyond for the advertiser, company and employees.

A lot of re-orginization after I was hired. Quotas changed monthly and unrealistic.

Current Employee - Sales Executive in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in San Jose, CA

I have been working at ReachLocal full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The people in the office were great! Lots of support!

Cons

The constant reorganization was challenging.

Train your team for a year before you give the sales execs a quota.

Walk Away - No Career Advancement - Find Something Lucrative

Former Employee - Sales Executive in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Sales Executive in Bellevue, WA

I worked at ReachLocal full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Products are Good such as website and SEO
    Unlimited Time Off

Cons

No career advancement.
    Unqualified Manager with no digital sales experience and very clueless at everything.
    Manipulative IMC and Act Executives

Hire smart managers that understand the market and have recently sold digital marketing in the Seattle market
    None of the Sales know how to sell or make cold calls.
    Management has no clue what happens in each office
    Negative Atmosphere

Room to grow, if you invest yourself and can demonstrate your contributions

Current Employee - Product Manager in Woodland Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Woodland Hills, CA

I have been working at ReachLocal full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunities are available if you can demonstrate that you are qualified, work/life balance is good if you set personal boundaries and don't stay in the office until 9pm every night.

Cons

Pay increases/frequency are not optimized to incentivize performance

If you reward people for performance, they will work harder and grow with the company.