ReachLocal Reviews

Reset
3.3
ReachLocal CEO Sharon Rowlands
Sharon Rowlands

Pros
  • They offer best in class suite of digital products and services and are always preparing for what's next (in 11 reviews)

• Extremely flexible with schedule and work/life balance (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Trying to get a book of business built up can be hard, and if you don't build one quickly then you are subject to being let go (in 14 reviews)

• Strict rules about office time- forces every employee to be in the office 8 hours per day- even OUTSIDE sales people (in 26 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

I have been working at ReachLocal full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This is a job that I love coming to every day. The people have always been the best aspect. Everyone is very supportive and you always get the chance to learn from one another. Culture is great. We constantly get to have themed days and get to do outreach projects as a group. In terms of working in the online marketing industry, Reach seems to be one of the best places to be. You get to learn so much about all the different aspects, and you get a chance to have your opinion heard. The area the office is great. Finally, management in my department has been amazing. I have had great guidance to help be develop my professional career. They are always willing to help in any way and hear different perspectives.

Cons

A con that I have seen is communication between departments could be better. Also, due to the number of systems an average employee works in it can take longer to train someone. This is often a cause of frustration for new employees has they try to remember where to go for what. Finally, the number of changes that we have gone through in the last few years has been hard at times.

Advice to Management

Keep pulling in different departments and leaders on projects to make sure everyone is on the same page with projects as well as communication. Continue to keep the advertiser in mind in everything we do. Have more leaders like Mesha who go above and beyond for the advertiser, company and employees.

2. Best company I've ever worked for, period.

Current Employee - Social Media Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Social Media Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at ReachLocal

Pros

I've been working at ReachLocal for a little over a year, and in that time I've seen quite a few changes - all for the better. The company is expanding in every way: offices, employees, vision, scope, ambitions, products, customer service - and this is *during* a serious recession! The best reasons to work at ReachLocal, based on my experience: * Good work gets recognized and rewarded by decision-makers and higher-ups. * Your ideas matter and are heard at every level. * The products & services we offer *actually work* and make a lasting, positive impact with clients - which makes the ethically-questionable field of advertising much more bearable to those with a hypersensitive moral compass (like myself). This is a really big deal to me, especially since I've worked for companies whose bottom line was entirely dependent on the sleazy billing practices intentionally obscured in the fine print. * Atmosphere and culture is fun, upbeat, fast-paced, geek-chic but always hyper-professional when it comes to the work we do. * Incredibly diverse office where people of varied cultural, religious, economic and even hobbies & interests backgrounds don't just work together, but get along well. * ReachLocal cares so much about employees that all new hires, regardless of position or department, go through a week-long "boot camp" program so everyone can be fully knowledgeable about the company, the industry, our current offerings and future developments (instead of flailing around uselessly for a month until you figure it out yourself). I haven't seen that kind of people investment with any previous employers, period.

Cons

* There's still a "startup" feel where the pace can get a little hectic or frantic, but on the other hand the company's grown so much that some projects have to go through multiple departments across many offices (sometimes internationally) and the pace slows down considerably. * The heavy Type A personality vibe company-wide can be a wee bit intimidating.

Advice to Management

We'll catch more flies with honey than vinegar! Our success may tick off a lot of people (especially the industries we disrupt, companies we displace and the rare employee who isn't a good fit) but we've got more than enough going for us based on who we are, what we do, and where we're going. Let's keep those points in our focus at all times!

3. I sought out ReachLocal, and I am VERY thankful that I did!

Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at ReachLocal

Pros

I have been at ReachLocal for just under two years. I started as an iMC and worked my way up to my current position of Regional Sales Manager. Prior to RL, I owned my own successful SEO company so I was very familiar with the space in which we work here. Making the move to ReachLocal was one of the easiest AND most difficult moves that I have ever made. It was the most difficult because after having owned my own business for over 10 years, I was terrified to make a move to a corporate structure. My fear disappeared after my first month. It was the easiest because of what ReachLocal had accomplished within the local search space up to that point. I did quite a bit of research on the company before first approaching them. I didn't come to work here because I wanted or needed a job. In fact, I didn't need a job and wasn't looking for a job. I came to work here because it was my opportunity to be a part of a truly innovative organization within one of the fastest growing industries today. What I enjoy most about ReachLocal: 1. When I walk into a prospects place of business, I truly represent their best option. 2. Management support is beyond what I have experienced in the past, and beyond what I was hoping for. Even as an iMC, I could pick up the phone and call one of the founders with any questions or concerns. 3. The ReachLocal technology is second to none. It is comforting to know that if I do my job properly, the client is going to get what they paid for, and more. 4. The management team that I report to is not only receptive to new ideas (other ways of looking at things), but actively seek out new ideas. 5. Training for new employees is extensive and on-going. This is not a company that throws you to the wolves and expects you to fight your way out to survive. 6. While we have grown to be a very large player in our space, there is still very much a family feel here. I know that I care about my employees quality of life and I know that the team that I report to feels the same way about my quality of life. 7. This is a company that takes the high road, CONSISTENTLY. We would rather walk away from a prospect than take their money for something that is not going to work. 8. This is a company that looks internally FIRST to fill any management positions. There is a lot of room to grow here. 9. We can pivot and move quickly as the industry develops. CRITICAL in my decision to come here.

Cons

I have been here under 2 years and am having a hard time coming up with a "con". If I had to select one, it would not be a con exclusive to ReachLocal, but rather a con for any real sales position. While I strongly believe that we offer the local business the BEST SOLUTION, and while we approach every client relationship with a consultative approach, this still is a sales job at its core. It is not for the faint of heart, but there isn't a sales job out there with this income potential that is for the faint of heart.

Advice to Management

As we grow, PLEASE do not slow the train down. I love that we can react and adapt quickly to changes in the marketplace and I want that to continue. To date, changes and adaptations have happened quick, but also intelligently. My hope is that we do not get to the point where changes take so long to implement that we miss the mark.

5. I have been working for ReachLocal for just over 2.5 years and my time here has been an incredible experience.

Current Employee - International Client Service Specialist in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - International Client Service Specialist in Plano, TX

I have been working at ReachLocal

Pros

I have had the opportunity to watch this company grow at an incredible pace from just the 5 offices that were opened when I started. I have also been given the opportunity to help grow and manage a group of client service consultants that started as a very undefined role and has now become an essential team member in each office. Some of the biggest reason I recommend ReachLocal: *The ability to grow and take ownership of your work here. *The ability to learn and gain knowledge about the industry from industry leaders within the company. Personally, I have been given the opportunity to go from the ground floor of the client service organization to being able to help manage the group and work abroad within only 2 years. *Your ideas are truly taken into consideration as positives for the company as a whole. *Good work is truly appreciated and recognized. *The office/company culture is one that is unlike any other I have had. The offices are upbeat, fun and the employees genuinely enjoy working together. Itâ??s very easy to feed off the positive energy and successes of others. *ReachLocal puts everything into its people. The training you receive from day one is second to none. Boot camp is an experience that truly puts you in the best possible situation to get started with success from day one. Beyond boot camp, the ongoing training virtually and from within the local office is constant. There is never a reason why you should not be able to gain knowledge or be kept up to date on important, need to know information. *The opportunity to travel and work among several different groups in the company. *I have worked with some truly great people who I consider not co-workers, but true friends. That is another huge reason I enjoy coming to work every day.

Cons

*It is still a sales organization which means there are still a group of â??sales personalitiesâ? that you have to be able to work with. *Because we are still a growing organization, some things that may seem like quick action items may take a little longer than expected.

Advice to Management

Continue to look from within to help build the organization. There are some great people who truly love this company & have helped make their local offices and the organization what it is today but they just arenâ??t aware of the additional opportunities that come up, that many of them would love to be considered for.

6. An Incredible foward thinking company that is continually growing and helping local businesses with internet marketing

Current Employee - Senior Internet Marketing Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Internet Marketing Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at ReachLocal

Pros

I have worked at ReachLocal for over 3 years and started here when the company was just in the beginning stages of growth. I have seen the unbelievable vision this company has had since we had our first office in NY. The last 3 years I have seen the expansion of ReachLocal with offices all over the country and overseas. I was lucky enough to help launch the UK office. ReachLocal increased development in the local ad space has grown from search marketing to many products that have never been available to the local business owner. Through my experience I would continue to work at ReachLocal because: * The increased support and training that starts from the day your hired. There is continuous training and marketing materials that helps you grow as a local internet consultant. ReachLocal is always providing ways to keep us up to date on new products and ways to sell search marketing.. * The products we offer really make an impact on the local business and are changing the way they do business. We track calls and conversions that have never been tracked by the local business owner before and our search product is the best out there. Many of my clients have worked with other SEM companies and have never seen the results that we have been able to provide and give them the ability to really see what a true ROI is. I have worked for many companies that push a product that doesnâ??t work. ReachLocal does!!. * The ReachLocal culture at all levels is a fun, growing, fast paced professional atmosphere that gives you an entrepreneurial feel allowing you to do what you want to achieve the highest success but also very structured. * ReachLocal shows that they pay attention to each of the employees by providing an amazing commission structure to keep growing and keep making more money. They give health benefits, 401k many sales perks for contests that are going on every month. They also provide unlimited vacations for the internet marketing consultants with also the choice to work where you want, when you want.

Cons

ReachLocal is growing very fast with amazing products. It can be somewhat overwhelming at times with so many new products and keeping up with this ever changing market. There needs to be a lot more tutorials and information on this market with the competitors and the products that other companies are offering against ReachLocal. * The growth of the company can be hard for new internet marketing consultants who are not given enough time when new hires start with the company and not given the time they need which can mean some people do not get all the attention they need.

Advice to Management

* Keep improving the trainging for the IMCâ??s with new tools and marketing materials to stay on top of this ever growing space and what our competitors are doing. * Lets keep growing this company and finding the best talent out there for all the areas we are getting into including social and mobile which are the next areas we need to grow our company . We need to also find the right people that will continue help build this organization in every department with experience in inside/outside sales and management.

7. The most positive experience of my professional career.

Current Employee - Senior Client Services Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Client Services Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at ReachLocal

Pros

I have worked as a Client Services Consultant for ReachLocal for over two and a half years. My experience at ReachLocal has without a doubt been the most positive of my professional career. I have watched and been a part of the immense growth of the company and it has been incredible to see the ideas and concepts that were goals for the future when I started, completely come to fruition. Pros: -The leadership at every level. Though the company is growing at a rapid pace, it never ceases to amaze me that founding members of ReachLocal are so accessible and available. Ideas brought forth by employees are paid attention to and followed up upon. The founders and management teams care about employees and clients at a granular level. Program Managers are incredibly supportive. Sales Managers and Directors are some of the most talented Iâ??ve worked with. -The product(s). I am so proud to work for a company comprised of innovators. I believe in what we do and that we provide the best digital marketing solution for local businesses available. Hands down. -The compensation plan for the local sales team. If you work hard and smart, have integrity, and take good care of your client base, the income possibilities are endless. -ReachLocal employees. In every department, I get to work with the best of the best. -The Client Services Consultant position itself is challenging and fulfilling. Daily, weekly and monthly responsibilities are diverse and interesting â?? I have the opportunity to learn every day. The CSC position is integral to the success of the local sales office and is one that enables me to feel proud of my contribution to the business. -The company looks to promote from within. Recognition and rewards for hard work abound at ReachLocal.

Cons

-Though not a huge issue, the company and its advertisers would benefit from a more streamlined process for supporting advertisers who pay-by-check. An ACH or Automatic checking account debit would be ideal.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what youâ??re doing â?? providing creative and motivating leadership!

8. Great Company To Expand Your Wealth, Knowledge & Personal Accomplishments!

Current Employee - Internet Marketing Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Internet Marketing Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at ReachLocal

Pros

In December of 2006, I felt like I had been a lucky winner in the Chicago Lottery. I had a received a call from ReachLocal recruiting team and they were interested in my resume. I had heard whisperings about ReachLocal, but never knew it would change my life dramatically. I was given the opportunity to help open the Chicago office in February of 2007. From that point my change in lifestyle and out-look on life has been improved. ReachLocal has given me the opportunity to make the type of money I never would have achieved in my previous employment and also has given me the tools I need to be successful in my field. Everything from the boot-camp to ongoing training makes you a true professional in your field. There is nothing more rewarding then knowing that the product you are selling is truly changing people lives. I currently work with over 50 advertisers who tell me on a regular basis that what I am doing for them changed their business.

Cons

Just like every other start-up there are bumps along the way. Having been at the company for over 2 ½ years now I have seen the evolution of a growing company and it is exciting. There are challenges with daily support help and sometimes a breakdown in communication, but that happens at every company.

Advice to Management

Just keep doing what you are doing!!! The on-going training you provide is excellent and really helps IMC’s in the field.

9. Incredible Opportunity with a Rapidly Growing Innovative Internet Technology Company

Current Employee - Internet Marketing Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Internet Marketing Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at ReachLocal

Pros

I was fortunate enough to find ReachLocal a few years ago and made the switch from a consultant role with a big Fortune 500 company to becoming a consultant for small local businesses. The roles were both technical but I had to pick up the activity required in a sales role. The first 6 months were extremely busy. Prospecting, cold calling, running appointments all while learning a rapidly growing industry. The work was challenging but the people in the office and the team environment made it a great place to work. The energy and motivation from the other employees have helped fuel me while I am here. I have learned a lot from all the people in the office and have grown my position in the company with the help of my team. The time has flown by and I have already been here over 2 ½ years and can’t believe how far the company has come. It is great to have the founders and the senior level management accessible to you in a company. The company has made the communication with all levels open both online and offline which has proven in a short time to be extremely resourceful. I think it is a lot easier to be successful at a role when you are passionate about it. I have met and worked with some great people at this company who are driven and passionate and have the desire to learn and increase their knowledge in the internet space. The job has been an incredible move for me and I am extremely fortunate to have made the move when I did.

Cons

If you don’t work, you won’t succeed. You have to been driven and especially in the first 6 months to a year work extremely hard. The learning curve is steep. I used the analogy that your first 6 months is like drinking water through a fire hose. This is a high activity based job in an rapidly growing industry.

Advice to Management

You guys have done an incredible job. Continue to develop new products for our clients that will benefit them more and add value to our company. Continue to develop our sales force and promote from within.

An expansion of skills

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at ReachLocal

Pros

I work in a technical capacity for Reachlocal as opposed to a sales oriented one, which tends to make my viewpoint a bit different. I have worked sales in the past, and it seems like the same general feeling of sales as anywhere. The differences are when doing sales based on internet keyword searches, it is much easier to actually measure results. Which means you can easily tell what works and what doesnt. My day to day has a lot of flexibility to it, which works well considering the ever shifting priorities that get handed my way. The coworkers support you in the need of meeting deadlines and offering suggestions and help to allow you to be the most effective. The atmosphere is much more one of team instead of 'these people are in charge, these people do all the work for em.' The boss (which hates being called that) listens when I say 'not gonna work that way, and heres why' and then listens to what can be done to make it work properly in a technical sense, and still meet the vision and purpose of each project. The initial training is a bit intense and can leave the feeling of a cheerleading session mixed with 'here drink this koolaid' but when you step back and put in the perspective of being focused on type-A high energy sales people, it makes a lot more sense and the value becomes much more obvious. Especially when you try and help/talk to those sales people, and have a common understanding of the beginning training process. I titled this 'expansion of skills' because I have ended up using a much wider range of technical skills than I expected, which has allowed me to learn and play in areas that I havent had the opportunity to before.

Cons

My time is defined by crunches and lulls in work to do. This is the nature of being at the end of the chain of production, and is the nature of my work to an extent (please note, being in a relatively small set of 'what I do' im being purposely obtuse, I would rather anonymous stay just that) rather than being necessarily a company issue. Organization is a bit... disorganized. Many things are still treated like a company a half or a quarter the size, which is nice for flexibility, but for trying to figure out who to take a problem to, or who you have to get approval of, it can be a bit of a pain at times. There are a few people who have a plan set in stone in their heads, and trying to make them change for any reason is the most pointless thing in the world. But isn't that true of any company?

Advice to Management

Sometimes it feels like your business model focuses a little too much on gaining popularity and less where the original plan seemed to be of a sales oriented model. Just keep in mind you cant control popularity on the internet.

I love the work and the people!

Current Employee - Web Presence Professional in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Web Presence Professional in Plano, TX

I have been working at ReachLocal

Pros

The people at ReachLocal are some of the best people I've ever met. Everyone is positive, smart and motivated, making it a great environment to work in, and have a good time doing it.

Cons

If you are not a fan of quick change and are unable to multi-task, ReachLocal would be a difficult place to work. You need to be a good people-person, able to take advice and learn from every obstacle.

Advice to Management

Management is very good at keeping employees excited- keep it up! Make sure to remember that everyone is different and that's what makes ReachLocal so unique!

RSS Feed </> Embed