ReachLocal Reviews

1. Products work well, pay is terrible and no management support

Current Employee - Interactive Media Consultant in Lake Success, NY
    Current Employee - Interactive Media Consultant in Lake Success, NY

I have been working at ReachLocal

Pros

Products work really well and the company tries to introduce improvements to the product line regulalry. They also offer a decent support system for sales efforts

Cons

Management does not encourage performance in any positive way unless you are the top performer. The envirenment is negative. The pay is terrible and the salary goes backwards after the first year. It is basically a telemarketing job

Advice to Management

Listen to the employees, create an encouraging envirenment for people to WANT to come to work. Don't slave sales people to their desks day in and day out, let them get out in the field and prospect

2. My experience thus far has been excellent.

Current Employee - Client Services Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Client Services Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at ReachLocal

Pros

If you want to work with the best and brightest in the industry, ReachLocal is a great place to work. I have a great deal of faith that this company is headed in the right direction. Everything that was promised to me prior to my hire has been fulfilled and the executive leadership is competent and inspiring. The day to day responsibilities are interesting and never the same. I really feel that I am making a significant impact on our business through each one of my actions, a feeling that I had not experienced in my previous role at another company.

Cons

One of the downsides of working at ReachLocal is the low base salary for non-sales hires. I took this job knowing this and believed in the potential for growth as I turned down an offer that was nearly 70% higher. Almost a year and a half later, my salary is much better but still not competitive with other firms in the marketplace.

3. Work Hard, Consult & Educate....and there is no better place to work!

I have been working at ReachLocal

Pros

I have been with ReachLocal for just shy of 3 years. As with any sales jobs there have been ups and downs in my career at ReachLocal. However, there have been far more "ups" than "downs." ReachLocal arms with you the best technology and support in the market. Bottom line, we offer on so many levels something that our competition does not. With that mindset and the mindset of really educating your customers and consulting them on their digital needs you can make a wonderful living at ReachLocal. The best technology, smart efficient sales people = happy customers. Additional Pros - - The atmosphere at ReachLocal is laid back. If we remember what we are doing, helping local business with digital advertising needs, its FUN! - ReachLocal will give you the tools and technology necessary to grow your customer base, however it's really up to you how you want to do it. ReachLocal gives you the freedom to really be an entrepreneur in how your build and sustain your business. Help is always available. - At the end of the day, I think most sales people just want to feel confident that the product they are selling is effective. You don't have to even think about that with our products, specifically I would say our pay per click & display programs. I walk into every appointment/customer I have knowing that I work for a company that provides the very best that is available. - This company is innovative and one of first in the marketplace to provide additional products and services to our customers. It's nice to be with a company that is setting the pace instead of trying to keep up with it!

Cons

I have said since the day I started to today - ReachLocal is the hardest job I have ever had! If you aren't looking for a career where you have to work hard, stay focused, be on your toes and provide the best service ever to your customers, ReachLocal is not the place for you. It's a very competitive marketplace and although we have the best products and services available to local business, its often times a difficult conversation/sales process. Stick with it....they will understand. Consult, be knowledgeable and LISTEN to your customers. They will in turn listen to you and understand...but it's tough, especially in your first year - year 1/2. Additional Cons - Management doesn't mean that they know more...luckily you can reach out to other IMCs across the country that have gone through or are going through the exact things you are. Managers are helpful in some cases, but learn from the people that have done your job and had huge success doing it! Don't work for ReachLocal if you don't have time to work hard and work longer hours, especially in your first year - year 1/2!

Advice to Management

Continue to give your staff the freedom to build their business with the strengths that they have in the way they want to build it! Just like we do, management should reach out to other successful managers to determine what they have done/are doing to have a successful office/area and keep it fun! It's digital marketing!!

5. This is a real sales job...............work hard and you will succeed!

Current Employee - Internet Marketing Consultant in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Internet Marketing Consultant in Nashville, TN

I have been working at ReachLocal

Pros

What is great about ReachLocal is that you decide your destiny. Commissions get higher as you sell and you are rewarded for hard work. Personal and professional growth is important for me. This company does a great job of updating and training its employees with market trends and changes, so to make sure you can succeed. ReachLocal also is just fun. They encourage you to enjoy the environment you work in and encourage a friendly sales office.

Cons

Their is a lot of turnover. However, this is a con due to the work ethic of the sales people. This is s true sales job. You make your numbers and you can stay and make more money, if you don't make your sales numbers then they will find someone who can. The first year is rough, but if you can get through it and maintain your client base then you have what it takes.

Advice to Management

I would love to see a bonus structure put in place to reward those who continue to succeed and make their numbers.

6. This has been the most rewarding career move that I possibly could have made.

Current Employee - RSM in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - RSM in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at ReachLocal

Pros

ReachLocal has the top technology in our space. We have a unique culture that fosters both leadership development and new hire training from all levels within the office. I consider this to be the best career move in the Valley for someone that can work hard and smart and not give up after a few months.

Cons

It is not easy. You do have to work hard. It is not account management in the beginning. You need to build your business and then the position changes to more account management and working referrals. This is not the gravy train job.

7. Work Hard, Consult & Love Your Job!

I have been working at ReachLocal

Pros

I have been with ReachLocal for just shy of 3 years. Like any sales job, it has ups and downs but I can confidently say that the ups far out weigh the downs. I speak for most good sales people when I say that the perfect position encompasses a company that gives you something to sell that the market doesn't have, support to sell it and opportunity to grow both professionally and monetarily. ReachLocal encompasses all of this. ReachLocal truly and honestly provides solutions to local businesses that our "competition" does not and we do it through a consultant role which allows us to show an overwhelming amount of value to our customers. There isn't a meeting where I walk into where I am not confident that I can either provide that business with the best technology, reporting and digital solutions in the market or at the very least give them some information and knowledge in the digital space. Either way, that confidence comes from what ReachLocal arms us with in terms of training, technology and support as internet marketing consultants. Additional Pros - - ReachLocal allows you to grow your business the way you want to on the most part. Like any sales job there are numbers you are required to hit, but ReachLocal really is an entrepreneurial company. How you grow your business is up to you. - ReachLocal has a really relaxed atmosphere. If necessary, you can email the CEO, COO etc of the company and they are always willing to take the time to talk to you. Pretty amazing for a company this size. - You can make a great living as long as you are providing excellent service and keeping your customers happy through appropriate and strategic marketing plans. Your ReachLocal customers stay ReachLocal customers!

Cons

- Management in your specific office anyway isn't necessarily there because they know more than you. Grow your book of business the way YOU want to grow your book of business. Understand your strengths and use those. Communicate to management your plan. If they can't lead by example, that's ok...there are a TON of people in the company that have done what you are doing with huge success, reach out to those people. - The first year to year 1/2 is TOUGH. In fact, the hardest job I've ever had, but with large reward. Do NOT come work for ReachLocal if you are looking for up calls, or accounts to be given to you. You need to grow your own book of business from zero. Trust me, the success feels that much better when you do. - Remember to manage work and personal life. Digital advertising can take up your whole day and whole night if you allow it to. As long as you have a computer/ipad/iphone you could potentially be working....so try to have balance. The best ReachLocal sales people do!

Advice to Management

If you can't lead by example...look to other managers that have a proven track record of success and LEARN from your staff, they are the one's doing the job day in and day out! Also don't forget what we are doing - digital marketing - it should be fun!!! :)

8. Numerous Opportunities

Current Employee - Marketing Director in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Marketing Director in Dallas, TX

I have been working at ReachLocal

Pros

Growth - the company is in hyper-growth mode which leads to many opportunities Opportunity People Culture Ideas

Cons

Pay someone lower than competitive set Growth has problems - scale, training, etc.

If you work hard and put in the time...

Current Employee - Internet Marketing Consultant in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Internet Marketing Consultant in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at ReachLocal

Pros

You can make a great living if you planning on putting your all into your craft. As with any sales position it takes a lot of time and dedication to get to the top levels. The first year is extremely tough, as you build from the ground up, but as you get through it will make you a better sales person. I've been with ReachLocal for over 4 years and it's been a great place to build a living for myself and my family because they give you the tools to be successful, it's up to you how to use those tools and apply them to your trade. The product itself is great. All of my clients have a need that we fulfill. As long as you set the right budgets, manage expectations and service the client post sale, everyone can be very successful and have lots of happy clients. ReachLocal's environment is fun to be a part of. As with any job the day to day can bog you down but knowing that we are part of a fast moving international company in a growth industry is fun. The big picture of our company keeps me motivated to making sure that I am doing my part. Work life balance is great, after your first year. Once you make it through your first year you can start to balance things. If you are thinking of coming onboard understand it takes a dedication not only from you but your family, if you have one. I was lucky in that I was single when i started but now that I am married with a child, I'm afforded the ability to enjoy my family life. But I stress that this is an earned privilege.

Cons

One of the downsides that I'm concerned with is the lack of effort and motivation some of the sales reps have had. I've seen a lot of people come and go and 9 out of 10 times the reason that they don't make it is that they don't do enough in the first year on a day to day basis. Upward mobility is a challenge since most of the offices are sales positions. But if you are successful at bringing on and keeping clients you can make more than most in management positions and support roles. Just remember that this is a sales organization.

Advice to Management

My advice is to just keep being inventive with solutions for our clients. Make sure that we are thinking in terms of how we can help businesses grow. Also to make sure that our foundation of support help is suited to meet our needs in the field.

10. My experience with ReachLocal has been inspiring, eye opening, and gratifying.

Current Employee - Client Services Consultant in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Client Services Consultant in Orlando, FL

I have been working at ReachLocal

Pros

Great Leadership Upward Mobility Fun and exciting workplace Awesome company values great benefits package helpful and understanding management team Safe environment Fun co-workers Everyone is always will to help Management really cares about your growth

Cons

ReachLocal is a fairly new company and still learning everyday. There are some new processes that are implemented from time to time that have some hiccups. The field is very good at giving feedback and getting these handled and fixed.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. This has been the best professional experience of my career. I have never been with a company that cared so much about their employees. It truly seems like we are all a family and that we are fighting the good fight together. I wouldn't trade that for anything.

The worse place to work.

Former Employee - Internet Marketing Consultant in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Internet Marketing Consultant in Dallas, TX

I worked at ReachLocal

Pros

There are no best reasons.

Cons

All levels of management are terrible.

Advice to Management

get an MBA

RSS Feed </> Embed