ReachLocal

ReachLocal Reviews

Updated January 23, 2015
Updated January 23, 2015

Sharon Rowlands

Pros
  • They offer best in class suite of digital products and services and are always preparing for what's next (in 11 reviews)

• Effective leadership team with good incentives and work life balance (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • They aren't going to hand you a book of business and they expect performance from their employees (in 14 reviews)

• Sales people should not be limited to a strict 8 hour policy (in 26 reviews)

More Highlights

Tons of career growth in last 2 years

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at ReachLocal full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The engineering group has undergone a transformation in the last 2 years, going from architecture that was well-meaning but hard to maintain to designs that are purposefully implemented. It's not perfect, but the progress is very visible.

The company has been very supportive of our contributions to open source projects and also open sourcing our own projects. Look for us on github. They have also been very supportive of teams and people who speak at conferences about our technology. We've had people speak at local meetups, national conferences, and even out of the country for some international speaking engagements.

In my time working with this current engineering management, I have been given significant support for some innovative side-projects to help develop engineering culture. That may be because my goals are aligned with them, but the point is: people are not discouraged from being creative and stretching beyond their current job description. We have a committee of people who brainstorm on how we can take engineering culture beyond where it is right now. We have standing meetups to shape and discuss architectural direction.

From an engineering and technology perspective, we're going places. We have dev offices in OC and Minneapolis as well as Woodland Hills. We even have some remote staff. There are talented engineers working on mobile solutions, RoR, front-end web programming, Grails and Java. Our release engineering team is extremely supportive of our needs to implement CI across all of our projects. Instead of writing documents about how machines should be set up, we exchange config-management scripts with ops. Yes, executable instructions.

The changes in the last 2 years have been monumental...

Cons

Our product org is extremely ambitious, but maybe too much so. It's always good to have work to do, but there could be better alignment between what's possible and what we aspire to do.

Focus more narrowly on products that will empower our advertisers. Create better feedback loops for product management to understand and react to advertisers' needs. Set a high bar for going into new markets. Keep investing in your engineering team, it's working, but also be sure to invest in training the salesforce so they are fully able to sell the products we create. You have a ton of talent working here and some big plans; we need to be as efficient as possible with our choices.

Also, we have a different CEO than this site shows...

Don't do it!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

I have been working at ReachLocal full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great company culture. This is what keeps people here.

Cons

We're selling a product that doesn't work. Turnover rate is high, and after working here I can see why. I wish I had done more research beforehand.

Changes need to be made SOON. We're supposed to be a technology company, but we're already behind.

Change is the only constant

I worked at ReachLocal full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Viable digital marketing solutions for SMB's. Young, entrepreneurial culture with good work-life balance.

Cons

Overly standardized capabilities with little customization, poor campaign management beyond the platform capabilities, poor compensation, frequent benefit changes.

Good luck.

Innovative company - Fun atmosphere - Great Co-workers

Current Employee - Corporate Recruiter in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Corporate Recruiter in Plano, TX

I have been working at ReachLocal full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Best Position I have had - Great Boss, love my co-workers, excited to work for a company striving for growth!
    I wish people would understand that just because a company is in transition doesn't mean it is on its way out... The Mgmt is on the same page and have a clear vision of what this company should transform into. Change, although difficult at times, is Mandatory for Growth and Success!

Cons

My only con would be the separation between departments - company wide mingling could be better.

Stick to the Vision!

Great mid-level sales job that will lead to more promising opportunities

I have been working at ReachLocal full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

ReachLocal is a great place to learn the ropes of true sales. You are required to make cold calls. You are required to run meetings. You are required to utilize a CRM system. You will learn what it takes to be a successful sales professional as you move on in your career.

Cons

Constant change that is quickly pushed aside when outcomes are immediately successful. Extreme internal favoritism for upper level jobs. Several internal opportunities are already filled even when they are activley interviewing outside candidates. Unrelaistic expectations placed on sales and management staff. HR department is overworked and not large enough to handle all claims that stem from constant change and upset current and former employees.

While the company is in decline, they have the opportunity to rebound based on their desire to try new ideas (though they quickly give up when immediate success is acheived. Be realsitic about who and what you are, as you try to reinvent yourselves as a SAAS/Media provider, don't alleinate current employees. More importantly, stop asking everyone to write positive reviews on sites to bury the other reviews. Businesses and potential employees deserve the right to make an educated decision.

Meetings and more Meetings

Current Employee - Internet Marketing Consultant in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Internet Marketing Consultant in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at ReachLocal full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good compensation plan if you can figure it out.

Cons

Way too many meetings. Things change and then when you learn the changes, they change again.

Stick with a plan.

It's a shame they changed the business model to hunter/farmer; employees have left in droves!

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at ReachLocal full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They offer best in class suite of digital products and services and are always preparing for what's next.

Cons

You need to love cold calling all day, close deals and hand it off or accept being a glorified customer service/ problem solver/ clean up campaign messes gofer. If you've been with the company for awhile and have a large book of business over 100K per month, you're happy. But those days are over.

Stop desperately changing processes and roles every other day and support the current employees. Hire service staff!

If you believe the positive reviews then you get what you deserve

I have been working at ReachLocal full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you're a stock trader, then short this company. Best "pro" advice you will ever receive. Another pro is if you don't like your boss, wait a few, they will either quit or be fired.

Cons

The cons are numerous. The ever changing comp plan sure is fun. "Oh, you're succeeding?" Better change the plan. If you're a mediocre employee that can stay under the radar, then this is your company. Be sure to shift blame to others and you will be a VP in no time at all. Accepting responsibility is not a feature that will help you succeed. Blaming others will get you far.

Keep hiring Dell people. If you're goal is to have RL become a penny stock you are well on your way to complete success. You failed running Dell, which is why you're at RL.

Josh Clayman and Matt Soska should be fired!!!

Current Employee - Sales Executive in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in Plano, TX

I have been working at ReachLocal full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

New sales model will benefit clients. Oh wait, I meant it will benefit the shareholders. Oh wait, stock dropped over 30% in last 2 days.

Cons

Hey Joshie, and Matty, how's your plan working so far???

Find a PR agency to put a spin on how you screwed up ReachLocal because you're gonna be on the street looking for a new job very soon.

Not Happy with Recent Changes

Former Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY

I worked at ReachLocal full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Office culture is great, amazing co-workers, lots of room to work independently, possibility to make a lot of money if you a sales person who can hustle.

Cons

They recently changed the compensation plan, which made a lot of people unhappy. Once that changed, they started to let go of certain positions. It seems they are moving away from wanting to give great service to existing clients and just focus on generating new ones. As someone who provided client support, I do not agree with this change. Recently a lot of people have left because there are no more goals to work towards. It's a constant selling job and each month or quarter you have to hit your quota all over again. Nothing to reach for in terms of long term. On the Support side, the pay is terrible and you do just as much if not more work than the people who got the sale.

Stop allowing your best AE's/AM's and Support people to leave. They have kept your long time clients from leaving. They understand the platform better than any SE or IMC. The clients stay because of them. Start focusing on the people. This company use to feel like a place I could work for years and years until new rules were set (without any warning) and I lost my job because of no fault of my own. And, the HR "help" I received after being laid off was terrible. No one could answer any of my questions. It was a terrible ending to what had been the best place I ever worked.