ReachLocal

ReachLocal Reviews

Updated December 18, 2014
Updated December 18, 2014

Sharon Rowlands

Pros
  • They offer best in class suite of digital products and services and are always preparing for what's next (in 11 reviews)

• Effective leadership team with good incentives and work life balance (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • They aren't going to hand you a book of business and they expect performance from their employees (in 14 reviews)

• Sales people should not be limited to a strict 8 hour policy (in 26 reviews)

More Highlights

It's a shame they changed the business model to hunter/farmer; employees have left in droves!

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at ReachLocal full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They offer best in class suite of digital products and services and are always preparing for what's next.

Cons

You need to love cold calling all day, close deals and hand it off or accept being a glorified customer service/ problem solver/ clean up campaign messes gofer. If you've been with the company for awhile and have a large book of business over 100K per month, you're happy. But those days are over.

Stop desperately changing processes and roles every other day and support the current employees. Hire service staff!

Roll with the punches

Former Employee - IMC (Internet Marketing Consultant) in Edina, MN
    Former Employee - IMC (Internet Marketing Consultant) in Edina, MN

I worked at ReachLocal full-time (more than an year)

Pros

When I was there, it was a fun company. People were passionate about their job. Good benefits for a startup.
    Some autonomy was provided to "make your own call". There was Google Adwords Certification and ongoing training that helped you stay on top of the many fluid changes with digital marketing.

Cons

Boiler room mentality. Call blitz days every week that wore on you. Setting appointments and networking was the key (as it is with all sales jobs). At the beginning there were not enough products and a diversified portfolio. Many changes in the early days and as such disruption with the company as they disrupted the market. There was definite favoritism around the company and honestly, cost them some business. I had one instance that I had a contact who hosted thousands of websites in my area, I developed this relationship and they were on the cusp of allowing RL to work with these individual companies. I was not allowed to pursue this because the account was in the name of someone "up top" who was doing nothing with the lead. That made my decision to leave.

Don't know anyone there any longer and would offer advice if I thought it would help. I can say, it should say something about the current state of affairs that the founders of the company are no longer there.

Meetings and more Meetings

Current Employee - Internet Marketing Consultant in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Internet Marketing Consultant in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at ReachLocal full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good compensation plan if you can figure it out.

Cons

Way too many meetings. Things change and then when you learn the changes, they change again.

Stick with a plan.

Don't do it!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

I have been working at ReachLocal full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great company culture. This is what keeps people here.

Cons

We're selling a product that doesn't work. Turnover rate is high, and after working here I can see why. I wish I had done more research beforehand.

Changes need to be made SOON. We're supposed to be a technology company, but we're already behind.

If you believe the positive reviews then you get what you deserve

I have been working at ReachLocal full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you're a stock trader, then short this company. Best "pro" advice you will ever receive. Another pro is if you don't like your boss, wait a few, they will either quit or be fired.

Cons

The cons are numerous. The ever changing comp plan sure is fun. "Oh, you're succeeding?" Better change the plan. If you're a mediocre employee that can stay under the radar, then this is your company. Be sure to shift blame to others and you will be a VP in no time at all. Accepting responsibility is not a feature that will help you succeed. Blaming others will get you far.

Keep hiring Dell people. If you're goal is to have RL become a penny stock you are well on your way to complete success. You failed running Dell, which is why you're at RL.

Josh Clayman and Matt Soska should be fired!!!

Current Employee - Sales Executive in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in Plano, TX

I have been working at ReachLocal full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

New sales model will benefit clients. Oh wait, I meant it will benefit the shareholders. Oh wait, stock dropped over 30% in last 2 days.

Cons

Hey Joshie, and Matty, how's your plan working so far???

Find a PR agency to put a spin on how you screwed up ReachLocal because you're gonna be on the street looking for a new job very soon.

Not Happy with Recent Changes

Former Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY

I worked at ReachLocal full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Office culture is great, amazing co-workers, lots of room to work independently, possibility to make a lot of money if you a sales person who can hustle.

Cons

They recently changed the compensation plan, which made a lot of people unhappy. Once that changed, they started to let go of certain positions. It seems they are moving away from wanting to give great service to existing clients and just focus on generating new ones. As someone who provided client support, I do not agree with this change. Recently a lot of people have left because there are no more goals to work towards. It's a constant selling job and each month or quarter you have to hit your quota all over again. Nothing to reach for in terms of long term. On the Support side, the pay is terrible and you do just as much if not more work than the people who got the sale.

Stop allowing your best AE's/AM's and Support people to leave. They have kept your long time clients from leaving. They understand the platform better than any SE or IMC. The clients stay because of them. Start focusing on the people. This company use to feel like a place I could work for years and years until new rules were set (without any warning) and I lost my job because of no fault of my own. And, the HR "help" I received after being laid off was terrible. No one could answer any of my questions. It was a terrible ending to what had been the best place I ever worked.

I miss working there, and I'm so glad that I had the chance to call ReachLocal my home.

Former Employee - Senior Web Presence Professional in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Web Presence Professional in Plano, TX

I worked at ReachLocal full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I really liked the fact that we had a chance to be super creative, express ourselves and work flexible hours. The pay was pretty decent as well, especially if you're coming in with no experience. I worked there for several years and was involved in many projects. It really prepared me to be able to take my career in the direction it's currently in today. I met some amazing people along the way. ReachLocal was very generous and kind to me (as a whole). And, I encourage anyone who is looking for an advertising/marketing/sales career to definitely apply to ReachLocal. They also have amazing health benefits. I can't thank ReachLocal enough for saying yes to me after interviewing there years ago. THANK YOU! :) :) :) :) :)

Cons

It's a fast-paced, tough work environment and if you're going to work there "YOU BETTER BRING IT." Any sales environment is going to be tense at times. However, it can be very rewarding. You cannot "blend in with the crowd." What I mean by that is bring something to the table professionally that others cannot bring. The hard work DOES PAY OFF at ReachLocal. You have to be a hard worker to last here.

Management needs more corporate-driven training. But, management does a great job at ReachLocal overall. Additionally, more team building activities would have been good I think, because it's such a large office and hard to get to know people. We did do some activities and I felt like those were always helpful. They brought our groups closer together.

Great Midsize Company positioned for growth!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

I have been working at ReachLocal full-time (more than an year)

Pros

New CEO (Sharon Rowlands), Strategic leadership, talented employees, great culture, excellent training, competitive pay and benefits. Leader in the Digital Media Marketing industry. If you are looking for a company who promotes diversity and is focused on continuos improvement this is the right place for you. Great things are in store for the future. There are plenty of opportunities to grow within the company. By the way don't be miss lead by disgruntled reviews. The WPP and IMC roles are no longer roles ReachLocal hires.

Cons

Compared to other companies out there, ReachLocal is a great place to work! It is sad to see former colleagues leave the company who once bled orange. As the company looks to the future and continues to seek ways to improve, roles change. The best advise to grow at ReachLocal is to always be looking for ways to innovate and bring value.

Keep focused on innovation! The industry is very competitive and staying on the leading edge should be the primary focus!

Great company

Former Employee - IMC in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - IMC in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at ReachLocal full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I really enjoyed working at Reachlocal. They treat their salespeople like professionals. They have excellent benefits, salary, commissions etc and a great product

Cons

I didn't have any cons working for this company. I enjoyed every minute of it.

This was the best management team I have ever had the pleasure of working for. They genuinely care about their company and their employees. Everyone from the CEO down to the local management is there for support and guidance.