Reachlocal Reviews in Plano, TX

Updated October 9, 2014
Updated October 9, 2014

Sharon Rowlands

Pros
  • They offer best in class suite of digital products and services and are always preparing for what's next (in 11 reviews)

• Effective leadership team with good incentives and work life balance (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • They aren't going to hand you a book of business and they expect performance from their employees (in 13 reviews)

• Sales people should not be limited to a strict 8 hour policy (in 25 reviews)

More Highlights

67 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great Company to Work For

Current Employee - Account Executive II in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Account Executive II in Plano, TX

I have been working at Reachlocal full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Exposure to B2C Business Types
    Energetic Environment
    Balanced Work/Life
    Great Technology

Cons

Lower than Industry Avg Pay
    Poor Leadership Communication

Continue to enhance your communication to the company to give clear direction

Great company - top performers make awesome money !

Current Employee - Sales Executive II in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Executive II in Plano, TX

I have been working at Reachlocal full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Benefits, new office , culture, pay, laid back if you get results

Cons

Management constantly changing, to much stress

Keep top sales pros happy

Great place to work with a great work environment

Current Employee - Sales Executive in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in Plano, TX

I have been working at Reachlocal full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are awesome, pay is competitive and the people are great.

Cons

they need to do a 401k match. (its in the works)

some departments have micromanagement issues, but nothing out of the ordinary in a sales environment.

We were GOOD, now we will be GREAT!

Current Employee - Senior Talent Acquisition Manager in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Talent Acquisition Manager in Plano, TX

I have been working at Reachlocal full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Sharon Rowlands our CEO has been very transparent with us. Her interaction with us across the board has shown to be genuine and sincere. I’m sure this was not an easy task to step in and take over where the founders left off. Nathan Hanks was the heartbeat of this company, and when he left the morale changed. But since Sharon’s arrival you can feel the change. How she engages with her staff, how she ask questions and listens to people’s ideas in meetings. She’s a leader who shows genuine and sincere interest in the people and the company.

What I have found at ReachLocal is that Greatness is an aspiration – a very honorable one. But no company is perfect, even if it performs well year after year. But the fact that they aspire to be great keeps me here year after year. ReachLocal is a company that provides value at every turn.

ReachLocal allows employees to share their knowledge and make suggestions that keep us engaged in the growth of the company. There is excellent communication between employee and staff, and an open door that allows you to enter anywhere you need help, including the CEO. There is a sense of pride here, a sense of family that when it gets tough someone is always there to lift you up. The culture is one that we work hard and we play hard. And the great thing about our culture is that management truly does acknowledge the fact that we put it in daily, and they pay attention. Recognition and appreciated is felt daily.

People that work here get better. You are encouraged to learn and grow. ReachLocal supports this value by providing additional training and development that is designed to make you more valuable to the organization.

Cons

We are very results-driven. So if you think this is an easy job, it’s not.

Regardless of the role, you have to put it in daily; from sales to operations. We are very transparent throughout the entire hiring process, but when the courtship is over and you are now dating, sometimes people forget about what they signed up for.

A lot of change lately, but that’s expected with a new CEO. Great things are in the works and we are still a very solid debt free organization.

Whatever role you are committing too, ask the questions. We have a 3 part interview process to ensure you have the opportunity and the time to learn as much about our company and the role you are applying for. When I see negative comments about the role, I ask myself, did they listen, and did they ask their managers the right questions.

We have a strong technology platform, and we are the best at what we do. But our products are set up to function as a short sale cycle, so the activity requirements are high for an outside sales position.

What can you expect? To have a sales matrix where you are expected to make 40-60 calls a day depending on the vertical. When you are not on appointments closing deals, you are in the office on the phone making more calls to get more appointments to close more deals. I have had the opportunity to place stellar talent in our organization who have improved their quality of life because of our aggressive compensation plan, not to mention the benefits we offer. A great culture, recognition, and an amazing management team across the board.

ReachLocal is not for the expert sales person who knows everything there is about sales and has done it their way forever and is stuck in that mindset. It’s for the stellar performer who thrives on being the best at what they do, the one who can adapt to change and is willing to try new things. This industry is ever-changing, and so are we. This company was built with feet on the street, and now we are evolving because we are the experts at what we do and we have the data to prove it. That’s why we are No. 1.

Continue to provide us with a clear understanding of your purpose, and the goals you want us to accomplish for the company. Continue to provide us with transparency, and we will stay committed to the continued success of ReachLocal.

The Rise and Fall of an Inside Sales Floor

Former Employee - Sales Executive II in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Executive II in Plano, TX

I worked at Reachlocal full-time

Pros

Good work/life balance, good base pay, cheap insurance, good atmosphere.

Cons

Management disconnected from actual day to day job function. All training existing in a perfect sales bubble and doesn't directly relate to actual client objections faced on a daily basis. Commissions left a lot to be desired. Account Managers disconnected from sales reps and it creates issues with clients. Lackluster hiring, then modification of policy to adhere to sub par performers instead of top performers. Burnt leads and clumsy CRM. Market share dwindling due to increase in boutique competition.

Spend some time with employees on the front line and see what issues are really faced on a day to day basis. If you say something stand by it.

The truth about Inside Sales

Former Employee - Inside Sales Executive in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Executive in Plano, TX

I worked at Reachlocal full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The inside sales team should be one of the best at Reachlocal. While the company has made an enormous amount of bad decisions they still have some of the original managers. They are the only ones that have a clue.

Cons

I worked for Inside sales for 2013 and some of 2014. During that time it was great. We were crushing quotas, were growing, and having fun. Everyone felt they could build a long term career at Reachlocal. Throughout 2013 there were signs the company was struggling even though we weren't feeling it. A lot of the leaders were leaving and they were being replaced with people who knew nothing about what we do. These people were calling the shots too. One of them is the new VP of Inside Sales.

At the end of 2013 we doubled the Inside headcount in a couple of months and the problems started. We knew the leaders of our department weren't thrilled with this but the new leaders calling the shots were changing everything. We started to see real issues with leads, account management, training, etc. There were a lot of tough days but the leadership continued to work hard for us and we continued to hit our sales goals.

Then in early 2014 the Inside leaders were all replaced. Oddly enough they were replaced with the people like the new leader of Inside who was part of the new regime & running the unsuccessful account management team. It was shocking to a lot of us that the leaders who build a successful organization were being replaced with people who were destroying it. This was the beginning of the end and why many of us left.

She has come into Inside & tried to win everyone over with lies and saying there were no call requirements or performance plans. Then throughout this year she fired us for not making enough calls or even telling us why. She also falsely blamed other leaders, and misled. She has not been honest or genuine with any of us. All she cares about is herself. Also all the positive reviews are her friends writing them.

The current leader doesn't have a clue and doesn't know what she is doing. She's part of the new regime that came in and are destroying the company. When I left we had not hit a number in months , were not having fun, and not growing like before.

When most of us talk or go have a beer we remember the team we used to have and wish Reachlocal hadn't destroyed it.

My advice to management is to go back if you can. Why did you ruin something that was so good? You have lost all the great leaders and replaced them with people who don't know what we do, and think they know everything. I would beg the previous managers to come back.

Falling Star

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

I worked at Reachlocal full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Casual dress. Benefits are cheap. Free parking.

Cons

Read the positive reviews with a grain of salt. Then head over and look at the stock and how it has performed. Now go back and read those great reviews. Yes, in fact, they are written by the recruiters whose job it is to convince you to work there.

Now go to Linkedin and look at all the former employees. Email them to get the true story.

Try being honest. It will be something you are very uncomfortable with and you will get a strange sensation when doing it.

If you want to feel unappreciated, work here!

Former Employee - Senior Inside Sales Executive in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Inside Sales Executive in Plano, TX

I worked at Reachlocal full-time (more than an year)

Pros

At first it was great with what seemed to be a ton of potential, considering that the inside sales team was new and the plan was to grow it quickly. Most of the people that worked there were awesome and very fun to be around. The learning experience is what made my time there well worth it. With so many challenges, both from internal and external sources, I can honestly say that my sales ability has grown by leaps and bounds since working there.

Cons

Constantly changing pay structure in ways that keep you from making as much money as you deserve. They also are EXTREMELY corporate which means the decisions being made for the company are made by people who are completely out of touch from what is actually going on, on the ground floor. The management team lacks experience and one in particular has created many problems and she alone have caused several people to quit. Yet they keep her on because she is one of the only female managers. Bad move on their part considering we have lost more people than she is even worth. The turnover is very high and no one really feels like their job is safe. I was consistently one of the top reps in the office and was compensated higher than most, but at the end of the day I still felt completely unappreciated and the compensation did not make up for the poor work environment. This company did not take advantage of the top talent they had, and instead let most of them slip through their fingers as they tried to just hire more and more new people that they could train like little monkeys. Almost all the top producers are no longer there. Also, they arbitrarily raised their prices, so the product was getting harder and harder to sell and harder to justify to clients.

Get to know your team. When you have top talent on your hands, do something to make them feel appreciated and have a reason to stay. Especially if they are one of the only ones bringing in legitimate deals. The people you are focusing your energy on won't make up for the ones you have lost. Don't keep managers around just because they are female. Listen to the feedback of the floor. Don't make SE's who have been there a long time and have a track record of success go through training all over again just because you want the whole floor to start from scratch at your own standards. Taking them off the floor for that hurts company revenue.

Fantastic and positive work environment

Current Employee - Account Executive in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Plano, TX

I have been working at Reachlocal full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The culture and the people are what keep me coming back. I adore my coworkers and the management does a great job of keeping everyone team-focused, while giving individual performance feedback and encouragement. The company also focuses a LOT of energy on training and development. I have never worked for a company that invested more into my personal growth.

Cons

Roles in management are changing as the company is going through a restructure. Not necessarily a "con". I find that the changes in management are a positive thing.

Mesha has been a RAY OF SUNSHINE to this group as well as Brandon Collins. They are both incredibly encouraging to the team, which makes for a fantastic team-oriented culture. We need more managers like these two.

Inside sales going down.

Former Employee - Sales Executive in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Executive in Plano, TX

I worked at Reachlocal full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Company Culture and don't work weekends.

Cons

Small pay for new sales, training as been switched 4 times in the last 3 months. Just laid off 30 of 50 people inside sales and called it a firing for performance. VP Mesha said there shouldn't be a quota the first 3 months on the desk and didn't honor her words.

Stop lying.