Reachlocal

Reachlocal Reviews

Updated November 25, 2014
Updated November 25, 2014

Sharon Rowlands

Pros
  • They offer best in class suite of digital products and services and are always preparing for what's next (in 11 reviews)

• Effective leadership team with good incentives and work life balance (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • They aren't going to hand you a book of business and they expect performance from their employees (in 14 reviews)

• Sales people should not be limited to a strict 8 hour policy (in 25 reviews)

More Highlights

Good job and pay if you have a great network.

Former Employee - Client Services Consultant in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Client Services Consultant in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Reachlocal full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good tools and products. I think that most people that complain about "the management" are not ready for this type of hard work. Maybe foot locker for those folks.

Cons

No one is going to do it for you. You have to work hard. This job is all about the residual and if you can't sell quickly then you will not make the money. Reps that have been there for years are making money. It's tough to start fresh now.

No advice. Congrats on landing this job! The area director should give every one the hope and desire to try for upper level jobs. If he did it...

Internet marketing Consultant

I have been working at Reachlocal

Pros

A good SEM technology system

Cons

There are many competitors in the market.

A good experience

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Woodland Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Woodland Hills, CA

I worked at Reachlocal as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The people are great and my supervisor was an awesome mentor. The hours are flexible, the office is nice, and I was encouraged to learn and develop my skills. They had a clear outline for career advancement in a technical position.

Cons

I could have used some more direction in terms of working on actual deliverables or company projects. The pay was relatively low. Turnover seemed to be pretty high.

I appreciated management's enthusiasm and dedication to their work.

Great People, but pay is sub-par.

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at Reachlocal full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people at ReachLocal make this is a really fun place to work. Management is usually very eager to help you succeed and assist you with everything you need. Very positive environment to work in.

Cons

The work load can get a little overwhelming at times as we are managing about 90 clients. The pay does not match the workload, and unless you become an executive for this company, don't think about making a lot of money here. Payment structure is very bad. There is also a lot of disorganization in the structure here.

Pay needs to be upped to reflect the amount of work that is required. Emphasis is so much on sales, that actual client-satisfaction takes a back seat. Account Executives take a hit for any other member (i.e. services team) not fixing an issue with the account as they are not docked in pay and don't care near as much. There could be some fixes to the overall structure.

Spiraling Downward

Former Employee - IMC
    Former Employee - IMC

I worked at Reachlocal full-time (more than an year)

Pros

First year salary was decent. Office culture was really good at first. Company and the Houston office has a lot of potential.

Cons

Salary drops after first year. Commissions dont ramp up as fast as advertised during interview process. Speaking about all sales reps not just myself. If you're buddy with the sales manager you'll get accounts. If not, you're screwed.

Level the playing field. Be more transparent to clients and employees.

At the end, something just didn't feel right

Former Employee - Digital Sales Executive in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Digital Sales Executive in New York, NY

I worked at Reachlocal full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It's an easy sell to prospects who don't know how to do Google Adwords on their own

Cons

Clients are not getting enough ROI because RL profit is too high

focus on long term client retention & adding value, and stop going for the highest possible profit margin.

Over-promising products was the norm... + Incompetent Managers

Former Employee - Digital Marketing Engineer in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Digital Marketing Engineer in Plano, TX

I worked at Reachlocal full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Co-workers were fun and dependable
    Base pay was decent
    Some products nearly sold themselves
    Potential for growth

Cons

Training never quite clicked
    Management was hot and cold (some micro-managed, others never said a word)
    Bonuses were promised, but never delivered
    Sales people were shrewd and would say anything to make the sale
    Under-staffed, over-worked

Hire some good consultants to clean house

A lot of expectations for very little money

I have been working at Reachlocal full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Insurance benefits and not long hours

Cons

Amount of work put in didn't equal the pay. Certain reps were given warms leads but rest of the reps were force to try to find a needle in a haystack full of leads in an Abyss (Salesforce). These reps weren't allowed to prospect for any other leads outside of the leads in Salesforce.

I gave management advise while I was there, so therefore, I have no more advice to give.

Questions to Ask the Hiring Manager

Current Employee - IMC in New York, NY
    Current Employee - IMC in New York, NY

I have been working at Reachlocal full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I'm reading through the Oct. 2014 reviews and I think there’s a big lump of questionably-authored reviews. ReachLocal is a business that specializes in reputation management and they know the power of user-generated content on SEO. Of course they assign internal resources to counter less-than-glowing reviews. Many, but not all, of the glowingly positive reviews are written by recruiters. The recruiting department follows an Agency model – the recruiters are essentially sales people – selling ReachLocal and they need good reviews to help their cause. They're comp'd on hires – not retention – so they have nothing to lose by posting flowery prose. Here's how you can tell they reviews may be bogus.

1. They mention it has a "great culture," but don't actually describe what that culture is. Wearing jeans is not a culture. Having cheap insurance is not a culture. Having ping pong tables and pretending to be Google is not a culture. Professional Development and Career Progression, Self-Reliance or Teamwork, Innovation and Creativity - those are cultural values.

2. Touting the unlimited time-off, but neglecting the details. First, many of the RL employees are hourly and underpaid, which frankly means they can't afford to take time off. Next, everyone is so over-worked that that they feel too guilty to take time off. Finally, and this is where it gets kooky, but RL has a 50% to 100% turn-over rate. If they had an official PTO policy, they'd have to pay-out of the leftover PTO and that gets expensive: 250 Sales employees with a 50% turn-over, averaging $50k per year, given 80 hours pto but only using half, might cost $125k in pays-outs. RL made, IMHO, a strategic decision to call it "unlimited PTO" so when people leave, there's not PTO to pay.

3. They neglect to mention the lack of a 401(k) match. It doesn't exist but it's something that's consistently floated out there as "coming." Don't hold your breath.

They have no tuition reimbursement. No defined PTO, no 401(k) match, no tuition reimbursement sounds to me like an org that doesn't value or invest in its employees. How can an employee invest in the company if the company won’t invest in the employee?

Cons

I love ReachLocal but we’re not doing anyone any favors by masking the warts with hype. It only worsens the turn-over when someone feels like they were misled. Yes, many of the negative reviews are from disgruntled former employees with an ax to grind – but to a large extent, that’s what Glassdoor is for. Do take them with a grain of salt, but when someone lays out seemingly well-grounded, measured claims, it would benefit any prospect to ask questions when interviewing with the Hiring Manager.

1. What is the turn-over rate for your team? What is the turn-over rate for sales reps (in NA Sales)?
    2. What is the client retention rate? What percentage of clients in this Sales office (or NA Sales overall) has been with Reachlocal 6 months? 12 months? Longer?
    3. What happened to the person who had this position before me? And the person before that? How far back can you trace the “family history” of this role? (It may show that the role is a revolving door or that the manager is brand-new.)
    4. Can you define for me the career progression of this role? Given my performance in this anticipated role, what would be the next step? Who has successfully advanced his or her career at ReachLocal from this role? How long did it take? What are they doing now and may I speak with them?
    5. What professional development or on-going training can I expect to support my career growth – either here through Leadership Development, for example, or externally through sponsored workshops?

Start a real 401(k) match - not this 1% BS that has been rumored. Start an accrual-based PTO policy where the PTO is actually considered part of my comp package. Define a career progression path for the entry- and mid-level positions. People wouldn't be so quick to leave for a lateral move if there was somewhere to go at Reach.

Not a bad opportunity, but doesn't work for most.

Former Employee - IMC, Internet Marketing Consultant, 'Sales Guy' in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Reachlocal full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I like the ethos that Reachlocal used to have (and still holds onto to some degree). They used to have no vacation policy, they let you 'be your own boss,' and the compensation plan was great if you were able to hit a certain volume. Then they went public and things changed, mostly for the worst. But they have the feel of a young, fun, company, and the product is mostly exciting and cutting edge. Most of the clients get a good result from the product but not all.

Cons

It' tough to sell internet products. The market is flooded and ReachLocal doesn't do a lot to make sales easier. Trying to get a book of business built up can be hard, and if you don't build one quickly then you are subject to being let go. I saw a lot of turnover there. Your accounts that you sell also churn a lot too. Most people get a good result, but since you are selling advertising, they are also quick to cancel. If you are a superstar out of the gates you will love it, but otherwise it will be a challenging road.

It was always funny to me that a company that sells it's ability to produce leads for them doesn't produce leads for itself! Also the lack of an IT department is almost comical. But a lot is being done correctly, and overall I would say that I enjoyed my time with ReachLocal. I really enjoyed going out to Dallas for training.