Reachlocal Reviews

Updated September 17, 2014
Updated September 17, 2014

Sharon Rowlands

Pros
  • They offer best in class suite of digital products and services and are always preparing for what's next (in 11 reviews)

• Base salary for an IMC (Internet Marketing Consultant) is (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • They aren't going to hand you a book of business and they expect performance from their employees (in 13 reviews)

• Sales people should not be limited to a strict 8 hour policy (in 24 reviews)

More Highlights

Needs Improvements

I worked at Reachlocal full-time for more than a year

Pros

The Pros for this Company would be: Employee gatherings,etc.

Cons

The Cons of this Company would be: Communications

Great people all around.

I have been working at Reachlocal full-time for less than a year

Pros

From the beginning, including the interview process, I felt welcome. ReachLocal is probably one of the best places I've ever worked and I've had a solid amount of experience with a diverse range of companies ranging from Corporate America companies to small startups. The work-life balance is phenomenal and you know what's needed to get the job done at work so you don't feel guilty leaving early or upset by working the extra hours to make up.

Cons

The offices could use some makeup/touch ups. From what's heard about the past, all the "fun" has been taken away.

Add more office culture to display the current tech vibe by promoting games/events/contests inter-office. Allow up and coming local artists to paint the walls. Add ergonomic chairs and seating as a necessity to every employee. Give free health club memberships to all employees and have catering universal throughout all offices on specific days (helps to work through lunch and not leave the office).

We were GOOD, now we will be GREAT!

Current Employee - Senior Talent Acquisition Manager  in  Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Talent Acquisition Manager in Plano, TX

I have been working at Reachlocal full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Sharon Rowlands our CEO has been very transparent with us. Her interaction with us across the board has shown to be genuine and sincere. I’m sure this was not an easy task to step in and take over where the founders left off. Nathan Hanks was the heartbeat of this company, and when he left the morale changed. But since Sharon’s arrival you can feel the change. How she engages with her staff, how she ask questions and listens to people’s ideas in meetings. She’s a leader who shows genuine and sincere interest in the people and the company.

What I have found at ReachLocal is that Greatness is an aspiration – a very honorable one. But no company is perfect, even if it performs well year after year. But the fact that they aspire to be great keeps me here year after year. ReachLocal is a company that provides value at every turn.

ReachLocal allows employees to share their knowledge and make suggestions that keep us engaged in the growth of the company. There is excellent communication between employee and staff, and an open door that allows you to enter anywhere you need help, including the CEO. There is a sense of pride here, a sense of family that when it gets tough someone is always there to lift you up. The culture is one that we work hard and we play hard. And the great thing about our culture is that management truly does acknowledge the fact that we put it in daily, and they pay attention. Recognition and appreciated is felt daily.

People that work here get better. You are encouraged to learn and grow. ReachLocal supports this value by providing additional training and development that is designed to make you more valuable to the organization.

Cons

We are very results-driven. So if you think this is an easy job, it’s not.

Regardless of the role, you have to put it in daily; from sales to operations. We are very transparent throughout the entire hiring process, but when the courtship is over and you are now dating, sometimes people forget about what they signed up for.

A lot of change lately, but that’s expected with a new CEO. Great things are in the works and we are still a very solid debt free organization.

Whatever role you are committing too, ask the questions. We have a 3 part interview process to ensure you have the opportunity and the time to learn as much about our company and the role you are applying for. When I see negative comments about the role, I ask myself, did they listen, and did they ask their managers the right questions.

We have a strong technology platform, and we are the best at what we do. But our products are set up to function as a short sale cycle, so the activity requirements are high for an outside sales position.

What can you expect? To have a sales matrix where you are expected to make 40-60 calls a day depending on the vertical. When you are not on appointments closing deals, you are in the office on the phone making more calls to get more appointments to close more deals. I have had the opportunity to place stellar talent in our organization who have improved their quality of life because of our aggressive compensation plan, not to mention the benefits we offer. A great culture, recognition, and an amazing management team across the board.

ReachLocal is not for the expert sales person who knows everything there is about sales and has done it their way forever and is stuck in that mindset. It’s for the stellar performer who thrives on being the best at what they do, the one who can adapt to change and is willing to try new things. This industry is ever-changing, and so are we. This company was built with feet on the street, and now we are evolving because we are the experts at what we do and we have the data to prove it. That’s why we are No. 1.

Continue to provide us with a clear understanding of your purpose, and the goals you want us to accomplish for the company. Continue to provide us with transparency, and we will stay committed to the continued success of ReachLocal.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The best technology products in the Internet Marketing Industry today.

Current Employee - Sales Executive
    Current Employee - Sales Executive

I have been working at Reachlocal full-time for more than a year

Pros

The technology that ReachLocal offers SMB's is far superior to all it's competitors in the Internet Marketing Industry. The software (SAAS) included in their SEM, SEO, Display and website design is second to none.

Cons

The Internet marketing industry in General is extremely fragmented. Far too many sellers and not enough buyers. As traditional media declines such as newspapers, yellow pages and all print all media it's no surprise that the major shift of all media is selling internet to survive and that has reduced market share for everyone. Obviously, this makes it very difficult for sales people and media to make a strong income especially when Internet media is your only product.

Continue to offer world class new products but also don't limit your products to high end SMB clients only in the $1 to $10 million revenue. Since the market is so fragmented you have no choice but to play in the under $1million business field to offer lower priced products as well in order to expand your market share and grow revenues in a extremely fragmented industry.

Good job, lots of compettion. It was hard to compete against small local firms doing the same stuff for a lot less.

Former Employee - Internet Marketing Consultant  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Internet Marketing Consultant in Seattle, WA

I worked at Reachlocal full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Flexilbilty, base salary, support people. Training was thorough and prepped you to start.

Cons

Client retention, pay structure and management. Management has changed and their comittment to salespeople is less now.

Internet consultant

Former Employee - Internet Consultant  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Internet Consultant in Seattle, WA

I worked at Reachlocal full-time for more than a year

Pros

learned a lot about internet marketing

Cons

churn and burn culture
     do not value the customers

take a longer term view on the consultants

Great products, Poor culture- burn & churn employees

Current Employee - Inside Sales Executive
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Executive

I have been working at Reachlocal full-time for less than a year

Pros

I love the variety of products RL sells and the company is a top innovator for technology solutions to internet advertising. Pretty good base + commission structure, and an OK expense stipend ($300/mo). Lower level managers care for their employees.

Cons

Ever since the restructuring of the sales team roles (which was company wide in late 2013) the culture has gone downhill. Sales reps are only "hunters" and once a client signs they are handed off to a local account executive or someone in Inside Sales in Dallas. This is not a good fir for someone who is a relationship based salesperson. They give little or no notice for termination, and the lower level managers aren't given hardly any power to advocate for their team. At the local office, there is little to no career advancement opportunity.

Listen to the managers that are out in the field with the reps. Don't treat people like faceless names with dollar signs next to them. Sales have been down since "ReachReloaded"- don't turn it all on the employees- take a better look at that decision and figure out a better way to increase sales without assuming it's the sales reps' problem and firing them.

Great company unless you need training

Former Employee - Sales Executive  in  San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Executive in San Jose, CA

I worked at Reachlocal full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great pay. Company seems like they try to care about their employees. Not much else other than great pay

Cons

They set you up for success, and then you get out of training and dropped in the middle of the proverbial ocean. Very much sink or swim.

Pay attention to your employees and you wouldn't have so much turnover

Slowing down.

Current Employee - Senior Internet Marketing Consultant
    Current Employee - Senior Internet Marketing Consultant

I have been working at Reachlocal full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexibility, benefits, some staff.

Cons

Lack of vision, inferior products/"services" at a much higher price point, massive mark up (50%) on clicks, saturation in the market, little to no ongoing training, inconsistant corporate leadership, plummeting stock price, low morale, clients getting smarter about where visits are coming from.

Develop better services/products. Too much to list.

The Rise and Fall of an Inside Sales Floor

Former Employee - Sales Executive II  in  Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Executive II in Plano, TX

I worked at Reachlocal full-time

Pros

Good work/life balance, good base pay, cheap insurance, good atmosphere.

Cons

Management disconnected from actual day to day job function. All training existing in a perfect sales bubble and doesn't directly relate to actual client objections faced on a daily basis. Commissions left a lot to be desired. Account Managers disconnected from sales reps and it creates issues with clients. Lackluster hiring, then modification of policy to adhere to sub par performers instead of top performers. Burnt leads and clumsy CRM. Market share dwindling due to increase in boutique competition.

Spend some time with employees on the front line and see what issues are really faced on a day to day basis. If you say something stand by it.

Worked for Reachlocal? Contribute to the Community!