Reachlocal
www.reachlocal.com Woodland Hills, CA 1000 to 5000 Employees

Reachlocal Reviews

Updated Apr 17, 2014

David Carlick

Pros:
  • "ReachLocal is the best place to work because the products and services are a step ahead of the competition"
    in 10 reviews
  • "Base salary for an IMC (Internet Marketing Consultant) is"
    in 15 reviews
Cons:
  • "They aren't going to hand you a book of business and they expect performance from their employees"
    in 12 reviews
  • "Sales people should not be limited to a strict 8 hour policy"
    in 23 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Meetings and more Meetings

Internet Marketing Consultant (Current Employee)
Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Reachlocal full-time for less than a year

ProsGood compensation plan if you can figure it out.

ConsWay too many meetings. Things change and then when you learn the changes, they change again.

Advice to Senior ManagementStick with a plan.

Great company

IMC (Former Employee)
Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Reachlocal full-time for more than a year

ProsI really enjoyed working at Reachlocal. They treat their salespeople like professionals. They have excellent benefits, salary, commissions etc and a great product

ConsI didn't have any cons working for this company. I enjoyed every minute of it.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis was the best management team I have ever had the pleasure of working for. They genuinely care about their company and their employees. Everyone from the CEO down to the local management is there for support and guidance.

It's a shame they changed the business model to hunter/farmer; employees have left in droves!

Account Executive (Current Employee)

I have been working at Reachlocal full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThey offer best in class suite of digital products and services and are always preparing for what's next.

ConsYou need to love cold calling all day, close deals and hand it off or accept being a glorified customer service/ problem solver/ clean up campaign messes gofer. If you've been with the company for awhile and have a large book of business over 100K per month, you're happy. But those days are over.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop desperately changing processes and roles every other day and support the current employees. Hire service staff!

Roll with the punches

IMC (Internet Marketing Consultant) (Former Employee)
Edina, MN

I worked at Reachlocal full-time for more than a year

ProsWhen I was there, it was a fun company. People were passionate about their job. Good benefits for a startup.
Some autonomy was provided to "make your own call". There was Google Adwords Certification and ongoing training that helped you stay on top of the many fluid changes with digital marketing.

ConsBoiler room mentality. Call blitz days every week that wore on you. Setting appointments and networking was the key (as it is with all sales jobs). At the beginning there were not enough products and a diversified portfolio. Many changes in the early days and as such disruption with the company as they disrupted the market. There was definite favoritism around the company and honestly, cost them some business. I had one instance that I had a contact who hosted thousands of websites in my area, I developed this relationship and they were on the cusp of allowing RL to work with these individual companies. I was not allowed to pursue this because the account was in the name of someone "up top" who was doing nothing with the lead. That made my decision to leave.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't know anyone there any longer and would offer advice if I thought it would help. I can say, it should say something about the current state of affairs that the founders of the company are no longer there.

High turnover

I worked at Reachlocal

ProsCan make good money, but the market is over saturated and The work environment is upbeat and fun. The company was once an industry leader but has fallen behind. The pay has changed multiple times and it has become too hard to reach the level of the original sales people.

ConsThe work environment is upbeat and fun. The company was once an industry leader but has fallen behind. The pay has changed multiple times and it has become too hard to reach the level of the original sales people.

They'll get it right, just not now...

Inside Sales (Former Employee)
Plano, TX

I worked at Reachlocal full-time for more than a year

ProsFrom a company standpoint, the technology is amazing. From a personnel standpoint, there are not many pros to an inside sales role other than you work in an air conditioned building, get free internet, and use of the phones to try to generate your business.

ConsCompensation is way under market value and the work environment is a modern day sweat shop. One bathroom for over 100 men (unfortunately this is serious) . Everyone is so busy with deadlines and commitments that they forget why they are doing what they do, to grow the customers business. There is a lack of strategic direction in leadership, lots of finger pointing, no accountability, unrealistic expectations and a promise to make much more commissions than reality dictates is possible.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on adding value to your employees and customers and empowering employees to be creative and have fun. That kind of empowerment and support fosters an environment for growth and longevity of employees and customers alike.

Big Mistake. Career Setback

Internet Marketing Consultant (Former Employee)

I worked at Reachlocal full-time for less than a year

ProsCo-workers, laid back office environment

ConsActual job was a far cry from what their recruiters "sold" me. Borderline unethical hiring practices. It's no wonder why there's so much turnover. Don't be fooled by the word "Consultant" in your title......"Internet Marketing Telemarketer" would be a more appropriate title. The entire job is cold-calling and manual data entry. No qualified leads either. All they care about is how many calls you can log every day.

Product training was non-existent, just the same regurgitated bullet points over and over again combined with a lot of hype about how great it is. Its a crowded market and the products aren't as great as they think they are.

This company is going downhill

San Francisco, CA

I worked at Reachlocal full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat perks for sales team
Highly energized staff
New products coming out left and right

ConsUpper management loves to micromanage
Too many products that come out too fast, no time to run beta tests and usually filled with errors.
Platform rarely ever works... close to a 60% success rate
Office morale is rarely positive. Upper management cares more about increasing sales and numbers rather than cultivating a positive environment to allow new employees to grow

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to treat new employees as new employees. Set up a mentorship program or have sales people work more closely with others that are willing to help. Do not cultivate this dog eat dog culture.

Pressure cooker environment

Internet Marketing Consultant (Former Employee)
Orlando, FL

I worked at Reachlocal full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat R&D and product training. Great place to learn about digital marketing.

ConsSales packages are so small that you have to sell a large of clients every month in order to make quota and make a decent living. This turned the environment into a boiler room leading to lots of churn within the sales team and among customers. . .

In a unique space, but the company lacked innovation

Woodland Hills, CA

I worked at Reachlocal full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood people, ton of responsibility

Consnot a fun tech culture, mediocre talent, mediocre pay

Worked for Reachlocal? Contribute to the Community!

Reachlocal Videos

Reachlocal – Why Work for Us?

To work at ReachLocal is to be part of something big. We’re on a mission to help local businesses across the world reach local consumers online. And we’ve been leading the way for local online marketing for nearly a… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Reachlocal reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Reachlocal CEO David Carlick. All 287 reviews posted anonymously by Reachlocal employees.