Reachlocal Reviews

Updated October 30, 2014
Updated October 30, 2014

Sharon Rowlands

Pros
  • They offer best in class suite of digital products and services and are always preparing for what's next (in 11 reviews)

• Effective leadership team with good incentives and work life balance (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • They aren't going to hand you a book of business and they expect performance from their employees (in 14 reviews)

• Sales people should not be limited to a strict 8 hour policy (in 25 reviews)

More Highlights

Not a bad opportunity, but doesn't work for most.

Former Employee - IMC, Internet Marketing Consultant, 'Sales Guy' in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Reachlocal full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I like the ethos that Reachlocal used to have (and still holds onto to some degree). They used to have no vacation policy, they let you 'be your own boss,' and the compensation plan was great if you were able to hit a certain volume. Then they went public and things changed, mostly for the worst. But they have the feel of a young, fun, company, and the product is mostly exciting and cutting edge. Most of the clients get a good result from the product but not all.

Cons

It' tough to sell internet products. The market is flooded and ReachLocal doesn't do a lot to make sales easier. Trying to get a book of business built up can be hard, and if you don't build one quickly then you are subject to being let go. I saw a lot of turnover there. Your accounts that you sell also churn a lot too. Most people get a good result, but since you are selling advertising, they are also quick to cancel. If you are a superstar out of the gates you will love it, but otherwise it will be a challenging road.

It was always funny to me that a company that sells it's ability to produce leads for them doesn't produce leads for itself! Also the lack of an IT department is almost comical. But a lot is being done correctly, and overall I would say that I enjoyed my time with ReachLocal. I really enjoyed going out to Dallas for training.

Great Company to Work For

Current Employee - Account Executive II in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Account Executive II in Plano, TX

I have been working at Reachlocal full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Exposure to B2C Business Types
    Energetic Environment
    Balanced Work/Life
    Great Technology

Cons

Lower than Industry Avg Pay
    Poor Leadership Communication

Continue to enhance your communication to the company to give clear direction

Company poised for growth if it maintains smart decision making and follow-through.

I have been working at Reachlocal full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great working environment with passionate people and a great plan to bring the company forward. With a fragmented market and so many local SMB's needing the diverse set of solutions ReachLocal makes available to them, it's an exciting time to be a part of this company. Looking forward to seeing the results of the changes the current leadership has made as the company goes through several transitions.

Cons

With some decisions made by company leadership in previous years, the current leadership is under some substantial pressure to come through with positive results. Though this is a theme, it's not a depressing one, and overall it's been a great opportunity to build sustainable solutions. The only con/ foreseeable pitfall I see is if company leadership cannot stay focused on their current path.

Account Executive

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Reachlocal (more than 3 years)

Pros

Culture is great! Corporate outings are fun. Free parking. Base pay is decent. Benefits are good. Ummm, that's about it.

Cons

Unable to make money in this position. Upper Management is clueless. They don't promote minorities. Favoritism is obvious. Just sad!!!

Questions to Ask the Hiring Manager

Current Employee - IMC in New York, NY
    Current Employee - IMC in New York, NY

I have been working at Reachlocal full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I'm reading through the Oct. 2014 reviews and I think there’s a big lump of questionably-authored reviews. ReachLocal is a business that specializes in reputation management and they know the power of user-generated content on SEO. Of course they assign internal resources to counter less-than-glowing reviews. Many, but not all, of the glowingly positive reviews are written by recruiters. The recruiting department follows an Agency model – the recruiters are essentially sales people – selling ReachLocal and they need good reviews to help their cause. They're comp'd on hires – not retention – so they have nothing to lose by posting flowery prose. Here's how you can tell they reviews may be bogus.

1. They mention it has a "great culture," but don't actually describe what that culture is. Wearing jeans is not a culture. Having cheap insurance is not a culture. Having ping pong tables and pretending to be Google is not a culture. Professional Development and Career Progression, Self-Reliance or Teamwork, Innovation and Creativity - those are cultural values.

2. Touting the unlimited time-off, but neglecting the details. First, many of the RL employees are hourly and underpaid, which frankly means they can't afford to take time off. Next, everyone is so over-worked that that they feel too guilty to take time off. Finally, and this is where it gets kooky, but RL has a 50% to 100% turn-over rate. If they had an official PTO policy, they'd have to pay-out of the leftover PTO and that gets expensive: 250 Sales employees with a 50% turn-over, averaging $50k per year, given 80 hours pto but only using half, might cost $125k in pays-outs. RL made, IMHO, a strategic decision to call it "unlimited PTO" so when people leave, there's not PTO to pay.

3. They neglect to mention the lack of a 401(k) match. It doesn't exist but it's something that's consistently floated out there as "coming." Don't hold your breath.

They have no tuition reimbursement. No defined PTO, no 401(k) match, no tuition reimbursement sounds to me like an org that doesn't value or invest in its employees. How can an employee invest in the company if the company won’t invest in the employee?

Cons

I love ReachLocal but we’re not doing anyone any favors by masking the warts with hype. It only worsens the turn-over when someone feels like they were misled. Yes, many of the negative reviews are from disgruntled former employees with an ax to grind – but to a large extent, that’s what Glassdoor is for. Do take them with a grain of salt, but when someone lays out seemingly well-grounded, measured claims, it would benefit any prospect to ask questions when interviewing with the Hiring Manager.

1. What is the turn-over rate for your team? What is the turn-over rate for sales reps (in NA Sales)?
    2. What is the client retention rate? What percentage of clients in this Sales office (or NA Sales overall) has been with Reachlocal 6 months? 12 months? Longer?
    3. What happened to the person who had this position before me? And the person before that? How far back can you trace the “family history” of this role? (It may show that the role is a revolving door or that the manager is brand-new.)
    4. Can you define for me the career progression of this role? Given my performance in this anticipated role, what would be the next step? Who has successfully advanced his or her career at ReachLocal from this role? How long did it take? What are they doing now and may I speak with them?
    5. What professional development or on-going training can I expect to support my career growth – either here through Leadership Development, for example, or externally through sponsored workshops?

Start a real 401(k) match - not this 1% BS that has been rumored. Start an accrual-based PTO policy where the PTO is actually considered part of my comp package. Define a career progression path for the entry- and mid-level positions. People wouldn't be so quick to leave for a lateral move if there was somewhere to go at Reach.

Company under restructuring

I have been working at Reachlocal

Pros

profitable comp plan if sales are brought in.

Cons

Seasonality, current contract with competitors and bad name in the industry shot down most introductory phone calls.

Great company - top performers make awesome money !

Current Employee - Sales Executive II in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Executive II in Plano, TX

I have been working at Reachlocal full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Benefits, new office , culture, pay, laid back if you get results

Cons

Management constantly changing, to much stress

Keep top sales pros happy

Great place to work with a great work environment

Current Employee - Sales Executive in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in Plano, TX

I have been working at Reachlocal full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are awesome, pay is competitive and the people are great.

Cons

they need to do a 401k match. (its in the works)

some departments have micromanagement issues, but nothing out of the ordinary in a sales environment.

Tough place to work in sales.

Former Employee - Internet Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Internet Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Reachlocal full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Exciting and fun product. Decent training.

Cons

Low base. Most people in my office only survived 4 to 6 months. The "take whatever vacation you need" just means they don't have to pay you for accrued vacation when you leave. Some were told they couldn't go on vacation because theynwerent making quota.

Some areas are much more expensive to live in than Kansas. Many find it hard to work at peak performance when they can't pay bills and you might be let go at any time.

Spiraling Downward

Former Employee - IMC
    Former Employee - IMC

I worked at Reachlocal full-time (more than an year)

Pros

First year salary was decent. Office culture was really good at first. Company and the Houston office has a lot of potential.

Cons

Salary drops after first year. Commissions dont ramp up as fast as advertised during interview process. Speaking about all sales reps not just myself. If you're buddy with the sales manager you'll get accounts. If not, you're screwed.

Level the playing field. Be more transparent to clients and employees.