Reachlocal Reviews

Updated October 14, 2014
Updated October 14, 2014

Sharon Rowlands

Pros
  • They offer best in class suite of digital products and services and are always preparing for what's next (in 11 reviews)

• Effective leadership team with good incentives and work life balance (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • They aren't going to hand you a book of business and they expect performance from their employees (in 13 reviews)

• Sales people should not be limited to a strict 8 hour policy (in 25 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Company to Work For

Current Employee - Account Executive II in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Account Executive II in Plano, TX

I have been working at Reachlocal full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Exposure to B2C Business Types
    Energetic Environment
    Balanced Work/Life
    Great Technology

Cons

Lower than Industry Avg Pay
    Poor Leadership Communication

Continue to enhance your communication to the company to give clear direction

Company poised for growth if it maintains smart decision making and follow-through.

I have been working at Reachlocal full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great working environment with passionate people and a great plan to bring the company forward. With a fragmented market and so many local SMB's needing the diverse set of solutions ReachLocal makes available to them, it's an exciting time to be a part of this company. Looking forward to seeing the results of the changes the current leadership has made as the company goes through several transitions.

Cons

With some decisions made by company leadership in previous years, the current leadership is under some substantial pressure to come through with positive results. Though this is a theme, it's not a depressing one, and overall it's been a great opportunity to build sustainable solutions. The only con/ foreseeable pitfall I see is if company leadership cannot stay focused on their current path.

Great company - top performers make awesome money !

Current Employee - Sales Executive II in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Executive II in Plano, TX

I have been working at Reachlocal full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Benefits, new office , culture, pay, laid back if you get results

Cons

Management constantly changing, to much stress

Keep top sales pros happy

Great place to work with a great work environment

Current Employee - Sales Executive in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in Plano, TX

I have been working at Reachlocal full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are awesome, pay is competitive and the people are great.

Cons

they need to do a 401k match. (its in the works)

some departments have micromanagement issues, but nothing out of the ordinary in a sales environment.

Company under restructuring

I have been working at Reachlocal

Pros

profitable comp plan if sales are brought in.

Cons

Seasonality, current contract with competitors and bad name in the industry shot down most introductory phone calls.

A good company to work for.

Former Employee - Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at Reachlocal full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Knowledge team members, good benefits, beautiful offices and environment. My direct managers and project manager were very pleasurable to work with. The company threw parties and events which got the employees involved and were a lot of fun. Free coffee and kitchen to use.

Cons

The only major con I had was that the company did not do 401k matching.

Needs Improvements

I worked at Reachlocal full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The Pros for this Company would be: Employee gatherings,etc.

Cons

The Cons of this Company would be: Communications

A lost, rudderless ship

Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager

I have been working at Reachlocal full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A paycheck, air-conditioning, free wifi and parking.

Cons

ReachLocal has completely lost direction and is grasping at straws to reinvent itself. On the Aug. 6, 2014 Q2 2014 Results call, CEO Rowlands said that clients are "looking for a one-stop shop to solve their digital marketing needs." But less than four months later, the tune has changed: Appearing in an article called "The Simple Curse of the One-Stop Shop," Rowlands in quoted as stating at a BIA/Kelsey conference that "Companies feel they need to offer clients, particularly SMBs, a 'one-stop shop' of various marketing services that sometimes, when taken separately, don’t make sense."

In August, we were a one-stop-shop, but now the one-stop shop is cursed and it doesn't make sense? Good to know. This is the type of capricious, reactionary leadership that permeates ReachLocal - from the top down. Each quarter there's a re-org, new comp structure, major leadership turnover, and as Ms. Rowlands' quotes illustrate, a "Strategy Du Jour" for the whole company. RL is rearranging the deck chairs on the titanic.

Reachlocal Response

Oct 8, 2014Marketing Director

Thanks for sharing your feedback on this. At ReachLocal our strategy is to provide our clients with the leading total digital marketing system. That hasn’t changed. Sharon's keynote to industry ... More

Company going downhill FAST, burn and churn attitude

Former Employee - Sales Executive in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Sales Executive in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Reachlocal full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Innovative products to sell
    Cutting edge technology
    Variety of price points
    Reasonably priced offerings

Cons

Negative office culture
    Burn and churn attitude towards employees
    Managers have no power- all power lies with HR
    Poor sales structure
    Poor company performance
    Poor company reputation
    Strict rules about office time- forces every employee to be in the office 8 hours per day- even OUTSIDE sales people. If you have an appointment in the field, you are expected to come back to the office even if it's 1.5-2 hours away!

Don't blame the entire company's poor performance on the sales reps- look at the structure of the company and look at your own management style. Take accountability for the performance and recognize and fix your mistakes instead of just firing people. Listen to your managers and let them do their jobs- don't just make cuts company wide without hearing the managers points about individual contributors.

You get what you put into it.

Current Employee - Internet Marketing Consultant in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Internet Marketing Consultant in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Reachlocal full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The first couple months to a year is very challenging, for anyone that is starting new. This is a sales and marketing company and it is all about producing. As with any sales position, you need to build a pipeline, which takes daily effort of making calls, knocking on doors and working on your skill set. If you can put in the daily grind, and it is a grind at times, it can be extremely rewarding. The reward is providing for you and/or your family, flexible hours, fast paced work environment and actually helping local businesses, not just taking their money and running. I've worked in media for many years and this is the only place to be. It is growing leaps and bounds and ReachLocal provides a way to work in the field and help businesses build a brand online. Not every campaign works perfectly but the vast majority of the campaigns I've seen are successful.

Cons

This is a hard job. There are no two ways about it. If you are not mentally tough and/or don't have a consistent drive, you cannot succeed. There has been a lot of change and we are still seeing the effects of it so the future is not clear cut. But those that are here now are the ones in charge of that direction and it is fun to be an agent of change. It's a great industry that we work in and the platform works well so the future should be good. I think the leadership is much better now and with that the culture should be getting better.

Keep listening to the field and our clients. Over communicate and show us that you love what you are doing.