Reachlocal Reviews

Updated October 14, 2014
Updated October 14, 2014

Sharon Rowlands

Pros
  • They offer best in class suite of digital products and services and are always preparing for what's next (in 11 reviews)

• Effective leadership team with good incentives and work life balance (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • They aren't going to hand you a book of business and they expect performance from their employees (in 13 reviews)

• Sales people should not be limited to a strict 8 hour policy (in 25 reviews)

More Highlights

Company poised for growth if it maintains smart decision making and follow-through.

I have been working at Reachlocal full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great working environment with passionate people and a great plan to bring the company forward. With a fragmented market and so many local SMB's needing the diverse set of solutions ReachLocal makes available to them, it's an exciting time to be a part of this company. Looking forward to seeing the results of the changes the current leadership has made as the company goes through several transitions.

Cons

With some decisions made by company leadership in previous years, the current leadership is under some substantial pressure to come through with positive results. Though this is a theme, it's not a depressing one, and overall it's been a great opportunity to build sustainable solutions. The only con/ foreseeable pitfall I see is if company leadership cannot stay focused on their current path.

Great place to work with a great work environment

Current Employee - Sales Executive in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in Plano, TX

I have been working at Reachlocal full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are awesome, pay is competitive and the people are great.

Cons

they need to do a 401k match. (its in the works)

some departments have micromanagement issues, but nothing out of the ordinary in a sales environment.

Great Company To Work For!

Former Employee - Sales Executive in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Sales Executive in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Reachlocal full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great company to work for, the management team and employees are very helpful and encouraging. The technology Reachlocal uses is great, customers can quickly identify ROI from their investment. The initial 1 week training course in Texas is excellent.

Cons

It will take 4 or so months to ramp up, you must be patient and have a true hunter mentality to be successful.

Run more marketing events.

Undervalued Company with Great Opportunity

Current Employee - Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Reachlocal full-time (more than an year)

Pros

ReachLocal does a great job of identifying and valuing talented individuals. They invest heavily in training and supporting their staff. Additionally, smart, talented people have the opportunity to advance their career within the organization. As a market leader, ReachLocal has invested heavily in developing their suite of online marketing solutions and I think they offer a phenomenal value to the SMB market. I believe that their continued commitment to investing in the development of their technology will only help to further improve the benefits to our clients.

Cons

At the 10 year mark ReachLocal was still operating as a start up company in a lot of ways, despite being a $500 million a year company, a Deloitte Fast 500, traded on the NASDAQ and having an international presence. There was a need to transform the company from start-up to enterprise, and I think the transition has been more painful and slower than many people anticipated. As we approach the end of Q3 2014 I believe that much of this is behind us and we are well positioned to come out of this challenging period with renewed vigor.

Assist front line sales people in identifying and speaking to the right prospects. At times we have hurt our reputation and delivered a poor client experience because we have sold to SMBs that were not a good fit for our particular suite of solutions. I believe that as we continue to develop a broader offering we will be able to address a larger market, but as things stand today sales people should be encouraged to focus on speaking to businesses that we can have the most positive impact on. Businesses that don't have a sufficient budget to properly invest in marketing and advertising will often have unrealistic expectations that we will not be able to meet. Conversely, I have seen clients come on board that are able to properly invest the necessary budget for success, and have been blown away by the results that we have delivered. We all want to have a truly positive impact on the SMBs that we deal with, so more guidance to the field on how to identify and approach those businesses would be hugely beneficial to us all (and to our clients!).

Great people all around.

I have been working at Reachlocal full-time (less than an year)

Pros

From the beginning, including the interview process, I felt welcome. ReachLocal is probably one of the best places I've ever worked and I've had a solid amount of experience with a diverse range of companies ranging from Corporate America companies to small startups. The work-life balance is phenomenal and you know what's needed to get the job done at work so you don't feel guilty leaving early or upset by working the extra hours to make up.

Cons

The offices could use some makeup/touch ups. From what's heard about the past, all the "fun" has been taken away.

Add more office culture to display the current tech vibe by promoting games/events/contests inter-office. Allow up and coming local artists to paint the walls. Add ergonomic chairs and seating as a necessity to every employee. Give free health club memberships to all employees and have catering universal throughout all offices on specific days (helps to work through lunch and not leave the office).

Fantastic and positive work environment

I have been working at Reachlocal full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The culture and the people are what keep me coming back. I adore my coworkers and the management does a great job of keeping everyone team-focused, while giving individual performance feedback and encouragement. The company also focuses a LOT of energy on training and development. I have never worked for a company that invested more into my personal growth.

Cons

Roles in management are changing as the company is going through a restructure. Not necessarily a "con". I find that the changes in management are a positive thing.

Mesha has been a RAY OF SUNSHINE to this group as well as Brandon Collins. They are both incredibly encouraging to the team, which makes for a fantastic team-oriented culture. We need more managers like these two.

Professional and Rewarding Job

I have been working at Reachlocal full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I love the growth opportunity that ReachLocal has provided me with. The product and technology behind the company is industry leading and beneficial for small businesses. There are always opportunities to expand and change roles. As employees we are constantly challenged and taught cutting edge industry knowledge so that we are informed and professional in front of our clients.

Cons

some clients are angry (it is the nature of our business) but overall ReachLocal is the best company I have ever worked for.

Management on my AE team has been extremely motivational and helpful. They are always looking for ways to improve the culture and compensation for their hardworking employees.

ReachLocal Rocks

Current Employee - Inside Sales Executive in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Executive in Plano, TX

I have been working at Reachlocal full-time (less than an year)

Pros

ReachLocal is one of the best places I have ever worked.

The people are sharp, savvy professionals; not one bad apple. The culture is truly the BEST sales environment I have ever experienced; it stays upbeat and we support one another. The products are first class and stay on the cutting edge of technology.

Granted, every company goes through changes – especially the successful ones. That’s what I like so much about ReachLocal; nothing becomes stagnate. If something is not working, they change it. After all, change is inevitable; misery is optional, right?

Overall, I love ReachLocal and believe that I am just at the beginning of a long-term employment here.

Cons

There is honestly nothing negative that I can say about working at ReachLocal, except that I wish that I had started working here sooner.

Thanks for continually making things better.

A company with integrity that cares about both employee and customer.

Current Employee - Account Executive III in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Account Executive III in Plano, TX

I have been working at Reachlocal full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company provides a high quality portfolio of products at a very fair price. ReachLocal does it's best to make every advertising campaign work. When occasional mistakes occur the company is quick to remedy them. The company treats employees with respect and encourages career growth within the company.

Cons

The company is going through a re-structuring. I believe it's the right course of action, but it makes some employees uneasy about their future.

You do a great job of communicating with employees why the company makes the changes it does. Please continue to do that. A match for the 401(k) would be a great benefit to add.

Adapting to Better Change

Current Employee - Sales in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Sales in Plano, TX

I have been working at Reachlocal full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Having been here for several years, ReachLocal has grown so quickly over the years despite not adapting their sales/service model to match the company and market growth. Both to better serve the client as well as for employee professional growth. Just as the growth happened quickly, the changes were made in the same vain. It was easy to see the changes were made with the best intentions, to better ReachLocal's position, but execution suffered due to the speed of change. With the new CEO now at the lead, the future looks bright for all employees in my opinion. Sharon is people focused with a lens for the client. I am anxious to see how she will regain the trust, focus, and energy of the people as we've had in the past. In the meantime, I will keep my eye on the goal, sell the right client partnerships, and try to restore the culture this great company once had.

Cons

Speed to market is put first over thorough planning and preparation. This lends to system, process, and execution breakdown after launches. Unfortunately this elongates the stabilization period and has also caused us to lose many good people in the process.

Measure twice, cut once...
    Invest in the development of all people. A company is only as good as the people who serve in it.