Reading Health System

Be The First To
Add Photos

Reading Health System President & CEO Clint Matthews

Clint Matthews

An Employer that actually cares!

ProsI have been working full time for the hospital for 3 years. I have to say I absolutely love it! The hospital provides so much opportunity for growth and learning. I also appreciate how all of the wonderful thing that the hospital does, not only for the patients but for the employees as well, from Departmental holiday Celebrations to hospital Wide employee appreciation celebrations! Besides that, the hospital offers educational assistance and has great benefits! I can honestly say that I am proud of working for Reading Health System!

ConsNothing Major that I can really think of. I feel very happy here, we are all a very strong team

Advice to Senior ManagementI feel that management is doing a great job the only thing I would say is to continue working with their employees to keep becoming even stronger!

Us vs. Them Environment

Manager - Medical Group (Current Employee)
    Reading, PA

ProsMany good people work at the hospotal or for the Medical Group

ConsSOOOOOOOOO many politics between divisions, departments, personalities. It is a minefield.
    High drama and backstabbing. Control freak managers, who are secretive and don't really manage.
    Lot's of contradiction and secrecy.

Advice to Senior ManagementGrow the hell up and stop treating your employees like they don't matter. THEY are the ones taking care of your patients.

Despicable ...

Professional Healthcare Worker (Current Employee)
    Reading, PA

Prosunfortunately...not too much to say here. nice gift shop.

ConsHR department is awful. They get rid of people who gave 100% to the organization and treat people who have worked there for years as if they are disposable garbage.

Advice to Senior ManagementRHS needs a new HR department please. The People who work in HR should be caring and concerned about the employees in general..but simply Call the HR department from work one day... and listen to how you are treated on the phone..listen to how they speak to you and how they talk to you... this influence comes from the top down..

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not too bad, not great however

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsBig Hospital, lots of job opportunities

ConsTreats employees like robots, no personality

Find a real hospital

Nurse Practitioner (Former Employee)

ProsThere are no professional pros other than that the gift shop is great for last minute gifts and the cafeteria makes great milk shakes.

ConsThe pay is terrible. Administration is stifling. This hospital has no vision. It is a bank in the poorest city in America. It does nothing to support it's community or its people.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are probably all good people. Get real jobs at a real hospital. Try Lancaster General, Lehigh Valley, Hershey, or any in Philly. You'll be glad you did.

Best Kept Secret

Management (Current Employee)
    West Reading, PA

ProsCommitted to supporting the career growth of employees through a generous Educational assistance program, onsite continuing education & an internal recruitment program. Lots of employee recognition events and tokens of appreciation. Many smiles and warm hellos are exchanged when walking the halls.

ConsMany changes but all are appropriate and needed.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to support and role model the Reading Experience. Continue expanding clinical programs and offerings.

Good support, low pay

Registered Nurse (Current Employee)
    Reading, PA

ProsLots of educational opportunities Good support for new nurses. One of the few area hospitals that will hire graduate nurses.

ConsPay is low for the area. Staff often feels as if they have no "voice".

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove pay, especially for experienced RNs. I do think management is doing a better job listening to employees, but it shouldn't take another union scare to make that happen.

One of the best places to work in Reading PA.

RN 111 (Former Employee)
    Reading, PA

ProsGood employee satisfaction, flexible work schedule. You can work during the week, or week ends only.

ConsThere is room for growth, and education reimbursement for nurses to pursue higher education.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe best nurse manager, Jess.

I grew very thick skin working the facilities management department for 14 years.

Facilities Management Manager (Former Employee)
    West Reading, PA

ProsGood restaurants, good employee discount for meals, great PTO and IPA program.

ConsUpper management constantly making changes to culture. Threat of unionizing till hospital gave everyone considerable raises. Upper management does not treat employees well. Human resources is a joke, left Director of HR go. Seems to have turned into a revolving door establishment. If not part of the in crowd your days are numbered. Employees constantly overloaded due to under staffing.

Advice to Senior ManagementCome out of your ivory tower and get to know the employees. Why does leadership positions carry a bonus package at a non-profit org? If bonus's are paid out then health care costs should be lowered instead; does not make sense. Upper management is not transparent as they claim to be.

Worst working environment I have ever experienced/unbelievably bad nightmare!!!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Reading, PA

ProsThe patients are terrific to work with

ConsCruel, angry nurse managers; managers split staff against each other; co-workers lie, connive and sabotage each other, and this is encouraged by management; managers and co-workers incessantly bully each other and patients; overworked and understaffed with no incentives; HR reps have no objectivity; all types of harassment are condoned and ignored by HR; HR secretly tapes conversations with employees; employees are retaliated against in the worst ways for reporting problems; best employees are treated the worst by insecure, undereducated, dishonest managers and co-workers. The administration is ruthlessly greedy and anti-labor. The hospital is dirty and bug-infested. Some employees have toilet mouths and steal money from patients belongings. Hospital attempts to scare employees into remaining a union-free shop.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to employees rather than bullying and retaliating against them. Give up a little of the GREED and develop some concern for the patients you are living off of. Try a little honesty and get rid of emotionally disturbed managers and employees.

Worked for Reading Health System? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Reading Health System reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Reading Health System CEO Clint Matthews. All 38 reviews posted anonymously by Reading Health System employees.