Reading Horizons

Updated Apr 9, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Tyson J. Smith

Great place to work: fulfilling, fun, and flexible.

I have been working at Reading Horizons full-time for more than 5 years

ProsMy favorite thing about working for Reading Horizons is the people that work here. Everyone is friendly and are quality people with very high standards. I also always feel like I have productive, worth-while projects to work on. On top of being productive, the company is also always doing fun activities to celebrate successes.

ConsThe only con about working for Reading Horizons is the compensation - it's not terrible, but if you're wanting to make lots of money this probably isn't the company for you. But even though I know I could make more working somewhere else with my same skill set; this con is off-set with the flexibility and sense of purpose that far outweigh the value of money.

Advice to Senior ManagementI feel that the management are all dedicated and try their hardest to improve everything within their reach.

Great people, good goals - poor execution and management.

I have been working at Reading Horizons full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe overall goal of the company is phenomenal, teaching people how to read.

They are very flexible with schedules.

The people, with few exceptions, are very pleasant to associate with.

Free snacks.

Good 401k match.

ConsPOOR planning and time management. Every project barely gets out the door, full of holes and in need of instant fixes.

Promises are constantly made and not delivered. They constantly tout opportunities for advancement, but any advancement just means more workload with no pay increase.

Micromanagement of certain positions makes it very hard to do your job well and enjoy what you do.

Very poor benefits:
The health/dental plan is ok, but nothing to write home about.
Time off is absurd (5 total vacation/sick days per year only awarded AFTER you've worked for an entire year).
Pay scale is well below industry standard for most positions.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake less promises (raises, bonuses, conferences, equipment), you're not very good at delivery and it damages employee spirit and enthusiasm. This includes less promises on dates for projects that have not been planned or well documented.

Learn the definition to the word beta, in regards to software launches.

More planning = faster/better development overall.

Live by the company's core values you hang on the wall. They're more than decorations.

When you attempt to better your rating on this site by flooding it with good reviews, you may want to do it in a less obvious way. Seriously. (check the dates and content of the generic 5 star reviews if you're confused by this comment)

Flag Review

Reading Horizons President responded to this review

Jan 1, 2014

We strive to create a culture where every employee feels appreciated and is able to enjoy their work. Most employees tell me that this is the best job they have ever had, which is important to me ... More

Flexible place to work, nice people, unprofessional, bad benefits, low pay, and no progression

I have been working at Reading Horizons full-time

ProsReading Horizons is a very flexible place to work. If you're the type of person that doesn't care what your salary is, you could definitely stay here for a while. However, if you are the type of person that needs to support a family, maybe you would want to find a little bit bigger company. Everybody is very nice and friendly. The company's goal is to help people learn how to read, which is good! So, all in all, working here is definitely a great short term job, but it is absolutely not even possible to make a career out of it.

ConsAll the typical cons of a small company. In other words, only one or two people make all the decisions. No change or progression, for example: no moving up in position or pay and no opportunities or incentives to increase your knowledge. Very unprofessional environment. A huge lack of communication between departments, employees, and management. Low salary. Bad benefits. The turn around rate, of people coming and going from this company, is crazy because Reading Horizons doesn't make enough money to support or invest in its employees. The management is nice, but very unorganized and is either too slow to get things going or too quick to make promises, most of the time.

Advice to Senior ManagementRead the cons.

Make A Difference And Enjoy Your Job In The Process

I have been working at Reading Horizons full-time for more than a year

ProsThe overarching goal of the company and most of the individuals who work here is to do something that has lasting value - to teach people how to read. There are few companies, big or small, that offer that kind of altruistic opportunity. I not only enjoy working here, it feels good to work here. To know that I, in some small way, am helping change people's lives is, for me, a significant part of the compensation. The company is small. Some may think this should go in the Cons, and there are some elements of all small businesses that should, but I believe this company being small provides opportunities to each employee to stretch themselves, to learn new things, and to grow. The expectations are high but for the most part they are attainable.

ConsOur sales cycle is seasonal due to the purchasing habits of most of our customers. As with most small businesses the benefits package can, at times, feel anemic but the company does make great efforts in this area. The company has recently improved the health insurance and added an extra holiday. The company offers a great 401K match and makes the employee 100% vested right out of the gate. The piece of the benefits package that could use some improvement is PTO. This, however, is somewhat offset by the family friendly flexibility and the companies willingness to work around school and other non-traditional work schedules.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinuously strive to make Reading Horizons a great place to work. Do not get complacent, thinking "we've done enough." Never lose the "small company" feel - I think it works to the company's advantage in most cases.

Best place I have ever worked!

Marketing Manager (Former Employee)
North Salt Lake, UT

I worked at Reading Horizons full-time for more than 5 years

ProsReading Horizons was a fabulous place to work. To be surrounded by hard working passionate individuals made me rise to the challenge. The Reading Horizons program really works to help people read and the motives of the company are pure. The working environment was very positive and I was given many opportunities to grow and progress in the company. At Reading Horizons the cream rises to the top. Good, hard working people are rewarded and promoted.

ConsThe company is fairly small but there are nice things about a small company.

Advice to Senior ManagementBest company I have ever worked for! Great management that are caring and put employees first.

Catch the vision of this great reading program and you will love working here!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Reading Horizons full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThis is a company that believes strongly in their product and in the success of their employees. Management is very supportive of employees and meets regularly with them to set goals, answer questions, and offer specific ways to achieve goals. You are only limited by your desire to succeed and willingness to work hard.

ConsNone that I can think of.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is there to support and help each person succeed. I personally grew in many ways during my time at Reading Horizons. I learned management, presentation and sales skills through the example and encouragement of my supervisor.

Great Place to work!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Reading Horizons

ProsThis is a wonderful place to work. It has a great family culture, work/life balance. Very flexible with your schedule and compensation is competitive with room for growth. The harder you work the better you are compensated and rewarded.

ConsThere are no cons in working at Reading Horizons.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is great. Always thinking of ways to improve the company and help the employees. Come up with great team incentives and employee benefit programs. They do a good job keeping in touch with each employee to see how they are doing and what the management can do to make their work environment an even better experience.

Best Place I have worked!

I have been working at Reading Horizons

ProsGreat family feel to the company. The company makes you feel like you have worked their your entire life. The pay is fair and increases and you go above and beyond. Great time off policy with flexible work schedules that will work around school or family. I loved worked for this company and to this day consider it the best place I have worked.

ConsI honestly cannot think of any cons for this place of work. I loved working there and learned so much in my time with the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement will always push you to do your best, they will give you opportunity to learn and grow and will help you to achieve the best possible results. Recognition is never in small doses, you are always recognized for your efforts from direct management and from the President. They expect the best and will do everything they can to help you achieve it. Great management team.

Incredible products, Poor place to work

North Salt Lake, UT

I have been working at Reading Horizons

ProsThe Reading program is a great program and helps lots of students. There is a good work/life balance. Employee's get free use of the program.

ConsVery low pay. Benefits are not group but individual and super expensive. Owner over promises and under delivers on promises he makes and statements he makes about the company. Little recognition for doing a good job. The work environment is very Mormon/BYU, including praying to start company lunch meetings.

Advice to Senior ManagementOwner needs to read the Leadership and Self-Deception book in Book Club and apply it to his own leadership skills and stop saying that making a difference in students lives is so important when all you really care about is sales volume.

Flag Review

Reading Horizons President responded to this review

Feb 10, 2014

Please note that this is a "former employee", not current, as it states on the review. I am aware of who this is and can say that we it was not a good fit. Regardless of what we tried he was never ... More

Worked for Reading Horizons? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Reading Horizons reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Reading Horizons CEO Tyson J. Smith. All 9 reviews posted anonymously by Reading Horizons employees.