Reading Horizons Reviews

Updated March 18, 2015
15 reviews filtered by
3.9
Tyson J. Smith

1. Focused work pays off.

I have been working at Reading Horizons full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The purpose of the company is solid. Striving to help others to learn to read is awesome. The company focuses on working hard and playing hard which gives the best of both worlds. They try to make everything super friendly and relaxed. Several perks are offered that many wouldn't see as perks (free soda and free snacks, among others). It is encouraged that we want to work because of the cause rather than just for the paycheck. That has to come internally from within someone rather than something given to them through job responsibilities. Very flexible with work schedules.

Cons

There are times when the environment can become too distracting or when some the employees are distracting from focused work. It's a small business so when you get hired, there is rarely advancement to higher positions.

Advice to Management

Continue to work at communicating the vision of the company so help motivate us to see outside of our paycheck. Tap into the potential of each employee to use their best skills for the right reasons.

2. Great people and culture, small business pay and benefits

I have been working at Reading Horizons

Pros

The people and culture of this company are what make it so great. Everyone is so nice and honest and friendly that coming to work and associating with each other is really great. The culture is very flexible, relaxed, but driven to accomplish it's goals and the overall goal of the company to teach everyone to read is fantastic.

Cons

Compensation/benefits: This is the biggest con with this company. As with lots of small companies having high salaries and compensation is mostly limited to upper management. You could definitely go somewhere else and make more money. There aren't a lot of raises, even small cost of living each year. The health and dental are what they are for a small company, definitely not the best but not the worst. PTO is ridiculous in that you have to work a full year before you get 5 total days off for vacation/sick time. They try to offset this by being flexible in letting you take time off for family, school, personal things, etc... but when you do you don't get paid for it for a full year.

Advancement opportunities: There is very little advancement that goes on in this company (again small business) so there are those that have been working there for several years but are still mainly doing the same thing. That is why there is high turnover at this company. Low pay + low advancement opportunities = high turnover.

Advice to Management

Management is great in developing a good culture and trying to do activities and "perks" (free snacks, sodas, etc...) in order to keep morale up. However, management likes to over promise and under deliver just to keep people plugging along .

Overall it is a good small business to work for, there are definitely worse places to work. But if your looking for a place to make it a career (unless you get into upper management) or just don't mind working for the paycheck without much advancement then this is the place for you. I'm sure many other small companies face similar situations like this one.

3. Small Company with a Great Purpose

I have been working at Reading Horizons full-time

Pros

The company culture is great: Work hard and play hard. Family is considered a priority. The company's vision to help people improve their ability to read with the products and services is very apparent throughout each department, which makes coming to work more rewarding. The company leadership is super friendly. The office staff as a whole is full of really nice, good people, which helps to maintain a good work environment. Honesty, friendliness, integrity, and respect are highly valued.

Cons

It's difficult to compare Reading Horizons to larger companies because RH cannot compete with them in certain respects. For example, the amount of paid time-off is not as good as other companies, but it's adequate for a smaller company. However, the company culture and little perks (such as generous profit sharing, free snacks and sodas, and spontaneous trips to get frozen yogurt as a company) help to compensate for the weaknesses associated with working for a small company, which translates into greater job satisfaction and employee happiness.

Advice to Management

The management strives to maintain a good work environment and good work ethic. But at times deadlines can seem overwhelming and impractical. This is likely a challenge shared by other small companies, as well. But overall, things always seem to work out in the end.

5. I love coming to work everyday! Excellent company!

I have been working at Reading Horizons

Pros

The people I work with are very passionate about what they do. Everyone's very kind and it's easy to make friends with coworkers. Our boss is fantastic and we regularly get recognized for a job well done. And because it's a small company there is plenty of opportunity for advancement.

Cons

It doesn't pay as well because it is a small company.

6. Great place to learn and grow.

I have been working at Reading Horizons

Pros

Way fun, great people to work with.
    Everyone is always pushing you to be better.
    No one is ever breaking you down or trying to discourage you.
    What Reading Horizons as a company does is amazing by itself.
    The President Tyson is an amazing person, he cares way more about teaching kids and people how to read than the money.

Cons

Pay isn't amazing. A lot of people here should be making a lot more than they are making.
    The management doesn't always show that they appreciate all the hard work you put in.

Advice to Management

Tell people that they are doing a good job more than just in the six month reviews after you tell us all the things we need to do better.

7. Great little company to work for to get some experience, but not as a long-term career choice.

I have been working at Reading Horizons full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Most of the people here are wonderful to work with and the overall culture of the company is top notch. The company has always been very flexible with people's schedules, which is huge plus! The company doesn't have a ton of employees, and most of the employees here are young beginners (even some in high school) so it's a great place to come and get some beginning (stepping stone) experience. Many people have even moved around to different positions in the company (example: start in warehouse, move to development, move to sales, etc.) because certain teams can require more assets to get certain jobs done. This can be good, sometimes, because the company really tries to help certain people have something to do. Our company is currently building a new, larger facility which we are supposed to be in by the end of 2015. This is definitely an exciting change for many reasons, so hopefully it will be a good moral boost for people. The company gives a little hi-pro time every day to spend on increasing our work-knowledge and proficiency. Free drinks (mostly soda) and snacks! So-so "basic" benefits are available. There's an "okay" profit sharing program in effect that, depending on your pay and tenure, can give a bonus at the end of each year, which is nice.

Cons

The current facilities we are at are very old, small, and crowded but this hopefully won't be a problem for much longer seeing as we will be moving into a new facility later this year. Because of the age, experience level, and lack of solid work-flow for certain positions, individuals can be constantly moved around to different projects or even given different job responsibilities to fill their time. Most jobs here are desk jobs, so the company providing free soda and snacks but not having a health initiative program doesn't make any sense. There are a few old timers (people who have worked here for 8-10+ years) here throughout the company and sometimes their lack of motivation or lack of wanting to change and become better at what we do can really dampen team spirits and encourage a "I don't care" type attitude from everybody. As much as our company wants, and sometimes tries, to get people to "believe in what we do" unconditionally, they fall short in some aspects (I can't put my finger on all of them) that leave most of the employees here simply working day to day for the paycheck. instead of really learning to love what they do and why they do it. If you want to believe in what we do, you really have to find your own "fire". A couple of those aspects have to do with below-average compensation and benefits. Upper management constantly admits that every employee here could make much more somewhere else, yet they hope people stay because of the culture and "idea" behind what we do. Unfortunately for the company, though, the lack of competitive and fair compensation and the lack of raises (even small cost of living raises) has turned this company into one that has a pretty high turnover rate because people, even if they love what they do, just can't turn Reading Horizons into a solid career that can support a family. Managers will never bring up the topic of salary raises on their own, instead the employees really have to awkwardly bring it up and really fight, and even wait a long time, to get one. It is unfortunate because Reading Horizons is a good place to work. Perhaps things will change in the future, but sometimes you can just tell when things will never change.

Advice to Management

Overall, Reading Horizons is a good company with a good heart! I can tell that the company is always trying to improve in certain ways, and that's appreciated. If ever the company was able to offer, even a little, more incentive to dedicated employees, such as small, consistent annual or bi-annual cost of living/performance raises, I really think that people would be able to see a future here and the retention would be a lot better.

8. Great place to work: fulfilling, fun, and flexible.

I have been working at Reading Horizons full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

My favorite thing about working for Reading Horizons is the people that work here. Everyone is friendly and are quality people with very high standards. I also always feel like I have productive, worth-while projects to work on. On top of being productive, the company is also always doing fun activities to celebrate successes.

Cons

The only con about working for Reading Horizons is the compensation - it's not terrible, but if you're wanting to make lots of money this probably isn't the company for you. But even though I know I could make more working somewhere else with my same skill set; this con is off-set with the flexibility and sense of purpose that far outweigh the value of money.

Advice to Management

I feel that the management are all dedicated and try their hardest to improve everything within their reach.

9. Great people, good goals - poor execution and management.

I have been working at Reading Horizons full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The overall goal of the company is phenomenal, teaching people how to read.

They are very flexible with schedules.

The people, with few exceptions, are very pleasant to associate with.

Free snacks.

Good 401k match.

Cons

POOR planning and time management. Every project barely gets out the door, full of holes and in need of instant fixes.

Promises are constantly made and not delivered. They constantly tout opportunities for advancement, but any advancement just means more workload with no pay increase.

Micromanagement of certain positions makes it very hard to do your job well and enjoy what you do.

Very poor benefits:
    The health/dental plan is ok, but nothing to write home about.
    Time off is absurd (5 total vacation/sick days per year only awarded AFTER you've worked for an entire year).
    Pay scale is well below industry standard for most positions.

Advice to Management

Make less promises (raises, bonuses, conferences, equipment), you're not very good at delivery and it damages employee spirit and enthusiasm. This includes less promises on dates for projects that have not been planned or well documented.

Learn the definition to the word beta, in regards to software launches.

More planning = faster/better development overall.

Live by the company's core values you hang on the wall. They're more than decorations.

When you attempt to better your rating on this site by flooding it with good reviews, you may want to do it in a less obvious way. Seriously. (check the dates and content of the generic 5 star reviews if you're confused by this comment)

Reading Horizons Response

Jan 1, 2014President

We strive to create a culture where every employee feels appreciated and is able to enjoy their work. Most employees tell me that this is the best job they have ever had, which is important to me ... More

10. Flexible place to work, nice people, unprofessional, bad benefits, low pay, and no progression

I have been working at Reading Horizons full-time

Pros

Reading Horizons is a very flexible place to work. If you're the type of person that doesn't care what your salary is, you could definitely stay here for a while. However, if you are the type of person that needs to support a family, maybe you would want to find a little bit bigger company. Everybody is very nice and friendly. The company's goal is to help people learn how to read, which is good! So, all in all, working here is definitely a great short term job, but it is absolutely not even possible to make a career out of it.

Cons

All the typical cons of a small company. In other words, only one or two people make all the decisions. No change or progression, for example: no moving up in position or pay and no opportunities or incentives to increase your knowledge. Very unprofessional environment. A huge lack of communication between departments, employees, and management. Low salary. Bad benefits. The turn around rate, of people coming and going from this company, is crazy because Reading Horizons doesn't make enough money to support or invest in its employees. The management is nice, but very unorganized and is either too slow to get things going or too quick to make promises, most of the time.

Advice to Management

Read the cons.

11. Make A Difference And Enjoy Your Job In The Process

I have been working at Reading Horizons full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The overarching goal of the company and most of the individuals who work here is to do something that has lasting value - to teach people how to read. There are few companies, big or small, that offer that kind of altruistic opportunity. I not only enjoy working here, it feels good to work here. To know that I, in some small way, am helping change people's lives is, for me, a significant part of the compensation. The company is small. Some may think this should go in the Cons, and there are some elements of all small businesses that should, but I believe this company being small provides opportunities to each employee to stretch themselves, to learn new things, and to grow. The expectations are high but for the most part they are attainable.

Cons

Our sales cycle is seasonal due to the purchasing habits of most of our customers. As with most small businesses the benefits package can, at times, feel anemic but the company does make great efforts in this area. The company has recently improved the health insurance and added an extra holiday. The company offers a great 401K match and makes the employee 100% vested right out of the gate. The piece of the benefits package that could use some improvement is PTO. This, however, is somewhat offset by the family friendly flexibility and the companies willingness to work around school and other non-traditional work schedules.

Advice to Management

Continuously strive to make Reading Horizons a great place to work. Do not get complacent, thinking "we've done enough." Never lose the "small company" feel - I think it works to the company's advantage in most cases.